A thread for some advanced editing tips

I keep plodding away, but getting the league cup winners (or runners-up) to qualify for Europe seems to be beyond my skills. Has anybody got this working successfully?

You probably have to edit the European cup to make it work..

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The game won't crash permanently as the editor data.xml's are easy to remove..

Ah OK I'll give it a try then. Isn't there an advanced pannel to use to try this? Anyone know how I could get it?

Ah OK I'll give it a try then. Isn't there an advanced pannel to use to try this? Anyone know how I could get it?

If you want to use the advanced panels, I recommend you read through this thread and learn as much as you can in the process. I will advice you, though, that the Advanced Panels is a very powerful and complicated tool to get used to. Nothing is "automatic" like with the normal editor, and you have to be sure to set every available option. Extensive testing to see what happens is necessary.

Once you know that it's not going to help you create the competition in a jiffy, you are ready to take on the advanced panels.

To find out how to activate them, I'd recommend that you look at this link:

http://advanced.wikia.com/wiki/Football_Manager_Advanced_Panel_Editor_Guide_Wiki

If you want to use the advanced panels' date=' I recommend you read through this thread and learn as much as you can in the process. I will advice you, though, that the Advanced Panels is a very powerful and complicated tool to get used to. Nothing is "automatic" like with the normal editor, and you have to be sure to set every available option. Extensive testing to see what happens is necessary.

Once you know that it's not going to help you create the competition in a jiffy, you are ready to take on the advanced panels.

[url']http://advanced.wikia.com/wiki/Football_Manager_Advanced_Panel_Editor_Guide_Wiki[/url]

Cheers mate, sounds a bit advanced for me to tackle though. Guess I'll just have to cope as it is. Thanks Anyway :)

If you want to use the advanced panels' date=' I recommend you read through this thread and learn as much as you can in the process. I will advice you, though, that the Advanced Panels is a very powerful and complicated tool to get used to. Nothing is "automatic" like with the normal editor, and you have to be sure to set every available option. Extensive testing to see what happens is necessary.

[url']http://advanced.wikia.com/wiki/Football_Manager_Advanced_Panel_Editor_Guide_Wiki[/url]

OK, I need some help here. When I try to place the file in the respective folder, there is an error message which says:

"Error: Access is denied

Error: unable to create output file "C:\Program Files (x86)\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2010\tools\editor\data\format\adv panel.rar"

I can't seem to extract the file there! I am using Windows 7 64 bit as my OS. Please help! :(

OK, I need some help here. When I try to place the file in the respective folder, there is an error message which says:

"Error: Access is denied

Error: unable to create output file "C:\Program Files (x86)\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2010\tools\editor\data\format\adv panel.rar"

I can't seem to extract the file there! I am using Windows 7 64 bit as my OS. Please help! :(

You need to unrar the file. If you don't already have it, you need to get winrar to extract the panels from the file you downloaded.

You need to unrar the file. If you don't already have it' date=' you need to get winrar to extract the panels from the file you downloaded.[/quote']

Do you mean unzip, mate? Yes, I do have Winzip. Does that make any difference? Must I also get the Winrar software?

Yes' date=' you need WinRar. WinZip creates zip-files, while WinRar creates and extracts Rar files.[/quote']

OK, I got the WinRar file now but when I try to extract, there is a message called access is denied! Why is this so? Please help! This is the first time I am using this software! :(

OK, I got the WinRar file now but when I try to extract, there is a message called access is denied! Why is this so? Please help! This is the first time I am using this software! :(

The message reads, cannot create database, access is denied. Why is this so? :(

There's only two explanations: The downloaded file is corrupt or you are trying to extract it with winzip instead of winrar.

No, I am extracting it with winrar. That is confirmed. So I guess the download file is corrupt! So what should I do now? Reinstall Winrar? :(

There's only two explanations: The downloaded file is corrupt or you are trying to extract it with winzip instead of winrar.

No, I am extracting it with winrar. That is confirmed. So I guess the download file is corrupt! So what should I do now? Reinstall Winrar? :(

Should I use a 64 bit WinRar because my OS is 64 bit?

I did just download and extract it without problems.

If the problem is Windows 7 specific you should try google, as other people may had similar problems.

OK, there is an error message called "Cannot create folder C:Program Files (x86)\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2010\tools\editor\data\adv panel". And when I open my editor data, under the details section, there is one current nation disabled and that is Hungary. The reason being Require a minimum of 58 teams for Division III, found only 0. Is this normal? :(

The Hungary problem is normal, I have it too.

I don't know why you are creating that folder, you should be reading all the instructions:

Once downloaded, navigate to your installed path for Football Manager (Typically C:/Program Files(x86)/Sports Interactive/Football Manager 2010 OR C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steam apps/common/football manager 2010) then navigate to tools/editor/data/, and place the rar file in there. Open the rar file, and extract all the contents.

BESIDES, this thread shouldn't be used for this activation guide. Use THIS thread for any problems with activation.

The Hungary problem is normal, I have it too.

I don't know why you are creating that folder, you should be reading all the instructions:

Once downloaded, navigate to your installed path for Football Manager (Typically C:/Program Files(x86)/Sports Interactive/Football Manager 2010 OR C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steam apps/common/football manager 2010) then navigate to tools/editor/data/, and place the rar file in there. Open the rar file, and extract all the contents.

BESIDES, this thread shouldn't be used for this activation guide. Use THIS thread for any problems with activation.

OK, thanks for the advise. I finally got it because I had to change my permission settings as administrator. Once I did that, I managed to extract the file.

But I have another question. When I load the editor, I do not see the advance panel anywhere. Why is that so? :(

It's definitely there:

When you run your editor you will now have access to the Advanced Panel. It is situated below the File Panel, which includes the About and Details sub-panels.

It is easy to miss but it is there!

OK, below the file panel, there are 2 subsections; they are About and details. I still cannot find the advanced panel! :eek:

Can someone post a screenshot please! I am a newbie when it comes to the editor! :(

Please read the advanced panel wiki first.

http://advanced.wikia.com/wiki/Football_Manager_Advanced_Panel_Editor_Guide_Wiki

This thread is for users who are working with the advanced panel, you should delete some of your postings to make the thread tidy again. :)

If you cannot see Advanced Rules, you've extracted the file into the wrong place.

The format.rar should extract the files into the format folder which is in tools/editor/data. All the changes you need to make are in that folder - the file has activated everything for you.

Can someone post a screenshot please! I am a newbie when it comes to the editor! :(

This suggests to me that the advanced panel is not for you. It is incredibly complicated and that is why this thread is so many pages long - we don't even understand it fully yet. To get your first league to work would take weeks on your own, that's if you don't give up.

I suggest to use the nation rules first before trying the advanced panel. The nation rules are limited, but gives you the basics for editing nations and leagues.

If you cannot see Advanced Rules, you've extracted the file into the wrong place.

The format.rar should extract the files into the format folder which is in tools/editor/data. All the changes you need to make are in that folder - the file has activated everything for you.

Well, I am sure I got it extracted to the right folder. This is my screenshot where I placed the file. So what is wrong here? :(

oe1op.jpg

a5bz8m.jpg

And this is a screenshot of my editor after I extracted the advanced panel. I also notice that the version of number of my editor is different from the above. User magicmastermind124's editor is 10.3.0d104218 while my version shows 10.3.0d104529. Could this be the problem? :(

Please bear with me guys! I have read the http://advanced.wikia.com/wiki/Football_Manager_Advanced_Panel_Editor_Guide_Wiki over and over again but I still cannot get the advanced panel to work! Please help and be patient with my incompetence! Thanks! And by the way, I am using the DVD version of the game with 10.3 patched up. I am not using steam at all!

I shall be replying again about 12 hours time as I have to go off to work now! :(

Can the advanced panel change how World Cup Qualifying works?

For example: in Oceania, can I put all the nations into World Cup Qualifying by making them all FIFA members and changing the Oceania Qualifying tournament?

Any help is appreciated... thanks!

For example: in Oceania, can I put all the nations into World Cup Qualifying by making them all FIFA members and changing the Oceania Qualifying tournament?

Did you manage to download and extract the advance panel, mate? How did you do it? Care to share? :(

No one has tried that with the advanced panels, as far as I know.

Balnchflower, if yu have downloaded the panels from the wiki, then there is nothing wrong with the files. The only thing is that you have to exctract it into the correct folder, go to your Football Manager folder and then into the following folder:

\tools\editor\data\format\

Balnchflower, if yu have downloaded the panels from the wiki, then there is nothing wrong with the files. The only thing is that you have to exctract it into the correct folder, go to your Football Manager folder and then into the following folder:

\tools\editor\data\format\

OK, guys! Thanks for the help! I finally got it! The wiki in question should have been more specific on where the files should go into! At first, I had problems even extracting the files because I am using Windows 7 (I believe Vista users will also face this problem) and no one told me that I had to activate admin rights to even change the file on Program files (x86) in the first place! Then once I right click on the Football Manager 2010 file and chose properties, I was able to change the access (so as to get high clearance :D) on these files. This problem is known as the User Administration Control (UAC). XP users don't face this same problem.

Secondly, the wiki in question just stated where to extract the file into which is the data file. But within the data file, there are also couple of subfolders as well. Only now, when a kind user by the name of Veg told me specifically where to extract the files into within the data files, (which is the format file) I was able to access the advanced panel.

Once again, I would like to thank the users here for their kind understanding and patience over the problems I faced here! As an additional food for thought, the wiki should have been more specific on where the files need to go and also to inform Windows Vista and 7 users that they have to enable admin rights to change these files!

Cheers mates! I am forever grateful for your help and now to practice some serious editing so that I can upload quality files for FM gamers to play! :D

I've just been trying something this past hour. I added England into the Advanced Rules panel, and set up the Nation including competitions. I then added the Regional Premier Divisions into the game. I have found that it not only adds the extra division into the game, but the other divisions are all there too, with the rules already in use in the game. This is great because I can now add extra rules for lower division teams, while not having to recreate the existing competitions.

I didn't actually.

However since the existing competitions look for fixture rules already set up, I can't seem to figure out which ones to set up. Also I can't get the Reserves and U18's to work either. I think for that you need to put them into the Competition list in Nation, along with your divisions and cups.

I am going to ask a question that i am certain has been answered before, but i cant seem to find it!

I wanted to see if i could edit the scottish league system to allow relegation/promotion to/from the lowest league (Division 3). Most other nations have this built in, but not scotland (as we dont have it in real).

What i do not want (particularly) is to add in additional playable/active leagues - basically i want something which mirrors say the Blue Square South handles relegation and promotion (seemingly random non league team comes up each time).

I dont think the normal editor would allow this, so i looked at the XML file in the "basic comps" folder of the editor for scotland and thought i had it cracked, simply added the line <integer id="relegation_places" value="1"/> within the code for the relevant division. Unfortunately when i load up a new game it doesnt appear to have worked (just based on looking at the "league rules" rather than playing through a season).

Having picked another random XML to look at to compare (finnish league, just because its small and i know it has the bottom league relegation and promotion) it does look like for this to work some detals have to be added for "lower leagues".

Can anyone let me know if this is osmething which is possible without a huge amount of work to add a new league structure?

Thanks

Bednar:

I managed to change the relegation rules of an existing playable league by editing the xml file in notepad.

Besides making the wanted change to the relegation rules I also did the following in the particular league's rules:

Replace <string id="use_game_rules" value="active_comp"/>

With <string id="use_game_rules" value="lower_division"/>

No one has tried that with the advanced panels, as far as I know.

I'll give it a whirl, then. I think Oceania should be reasonably easy since there aren't very many countries. I'll post the results when I get them.

Archived