A thread for some advanced editing tips

Now, I really need some advice right now, because I'm stuck at one (supposedly simple) thing I can't get to work... and it's driving me nuts.

I obviously don't fully understand the Stages and how to get teams from one stage to qualify for the next, because no matter what I do, the second stage never takes place.

What I'm trying to do right now is in the Trinidad & Tobago league, where after a 20 game regular season the top 6 placed teams should enter a Big Six where they play to determine the season champions. Here they should take the points from the regular season with them.

Here's how I currently have it set up:

League Stage One

Stage One: Regular Season

Stage ID & Index = 0

Qualification Rules = 6 Places, Closing Stage

Relegation Places = 1

League Fate Actions = None

Now, I've tried adding the fate actions as well to determine the qualified teams, but to no avail. After the regular season finishes - the Q's to mark the top six teams appear as should on the league table, but the second stage is never initiated. On account of this, the seasons never finish and are subsequently not updated after the year.

League Stage Two

Stage Two: Closing Stage

Stage ID & Index = 1

Teams: Get Qualified Teams from Stage, T&T Pro League, ID=0, Regular Season

League Fate Actions = Top Team: Champions, Top 2 Placed: Qualified for CFU Club Champs

I also tried using, get teams qualified from stage in the Stage Two Teams settings, but then I get a crash dump (no error message, FM just disappears) after Stage One has completed.

I would really like to understand what I'm doing wrong here, as I feel I've got pretty much everything else somewhat under control, but I simply cannot get teams to qualify from one stage to another.

I have a similar problem in the CFU Club Championship, where after some tweaks I was able to get all the right teams in the qualifying group stage, while I previously got a bunch of Mexican teams. Interestingly - the second stage here DOES execute... but not with the teams qualified from the first stage... now those are replaced by Mexican teams in the Second Stage, while the Seeded teams appear as they should from the caribbean nations. After the second stage, when the semi-finals should begin... it just stops and the Semi's never take place. So it is indeed a very similar thing, and does suggest I'm doing something wrong...

So, overall... there is just something that's gone missing in my understanding of the stages and how to qualify teams between them.

Help greatly appreciated...

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Having abandoned/postponed/been really cross with my new CONCACAF Champions League, I've refocussed my attention on my Cuban league using the advanced panels. Try as I might, I keep getting access array out of bounds when the game tries to schedule the championship playoffs t the end of the normal season. I've followed all of the suggestions and set ups listed on this thread, but still can't get it to work.

Anybody fancy taking a look and see if I'm missing something obvious? http://www.filefront.com/16353427/Cuba%2C%20with%20playoff.xml

Anybody fancy taking a look and see if I'm missing something obvious? http://www.filefront.com/16353427/Cuba%2C%20with%20playoff.xml

I just decided to have a look, so I could see if there was anything that could help me as well, since you are trying to do a similar thing. Seems we have it set up pretty much the same, except that you have chosen the Next Stage (Quarter Finals) in the settings under Get Teams From, where I have selected the stage FROM which the teams should be picked.

I'm going to try your settings in my T&T file next and see what happens... but, sorry I'm not of much help.

OLT - can you upload the xml for your CFU and I'll take a look as I was working on something similar and it'll be useful to compare.

I'm not sure that one would be of much use right now, as it's pretty much just a mock-up for future tweaks. I have it running alongside my T&T file for now, because I was trying to get it to appear in game at all - which I have been able to fix with the T&T file (which for now would be a requirement to run in order to get the CFU.

There are a lot of things I know I am going to do to that file, but it's placed on hold until I can finish the darn Trinidad league. I'm on my third straight day of trying to get the darn Big Six to play out, and I'm about ready to throw up on my computer if it doesn't work soon enough...

OLT - ah, that might make a difference. Let me know how it goes. Being honest, surely the concept of adding a top 8 playoff isn't that complex, yet I'm feeling rather stupid!

On that note, I realised that I've ticked the "top team are champions" box in the league settings, though it should be unticked.

Tell me about it... like I've said: I'm on my third day trying to get a top 6 league to work after the regular season.

Trying the setting mentioned above, for attempt number 1.364, and running a holiday to the regular season end to see what happens when the final stage should commence. Wish me luck.

EDIT:

Nope... no change what so ever - except now I didn't get the Q's to indicate the top six either. League stops after the regular season and nothing ever happens again.

So frustrating... because the league rules state that the top six qualify for the Closing Stage - but Oh, NO! That does not friggin' happen, no matter what I try in the settings. I'm starting to lose my marbles here!

Back to the drawing boards...

...Hmmm...

Thinking to myself...

Speaking of having the tick-box for champion on. Maybe because I have a relegation set in the regular season stage (as should be), the game thinks the season is over? Maybe if I remove the relegation from Pro-League all-together I can get the second stage to execute?

-----------------EDIT 2-----------------

SON OF A GUN!!!

I finally figured it out!!!

You have to set "Get teams from" to "League Stage", and then the relevant 0-5 in my case with the top 6. No fate actions needed in the first stage. I can't even begin to express my joy at finally getting one step further in my edits, rather than standing still...

Now, all I got to do is figure out how to take the points from the first stage with me...

Right lads ....... question for all the guys out there who have made competition winners appear in their advanced panel tournaments ........

HOW THE HECK DID YOU DO IT ????

I have a working Champions League format for the UK & Ireland - a 256 team tournament with a cup-group-cup format ..... and it works like a dream ....... except I still cannot get it to recognise the tournament winners ......

Hi! I've been lurking on this thread and gained some very good tips on how to use the advanced panel, thank you all for them! :thup:

As I wanted to experience some new adventures in FM I decided to try to create the missing South American leagues to have it as fully manageable continent. I started from the Paraguayan Primera Division as it seemed to be the easiest to replicate with the editor. After banging my head to the wall trying to get the opening stage and the closing stage to show along with the regular season table, I managed to do it and all seemed fine. BUT now I'm stuck...I can't get relegation from the regular season table to work, no matter how I try to change settings in the editor! All I get is the indicator R to show in the regular season table but the team won't get relegated and it doesn't show in the team's history either. It's all fine if there's only one stage in the league (the regular season), bottom team gets relegated. But when I add the opening and closing stages to the league structure, relegation stops working. And as a consequence, promotion from the lower division doesn't work either :(

So I've got 3 stages in the league: opening, closing and regular season. The opening & closing stages process results and max games to the regular season stage which doesn't create its own fixtures. Just like in the real world, the regular season table only combines results from the 2 other stages, and decides who qualifies to the continental cups and who gets relegated. But in the game I can't get it to work. So, if someone knows how to do it, please help me!

Here's the xml http://rapidshare.com/files/382749099/Paraguay.xml.html

Sounds like you haven't set up a league fate telling the relegated teams to actually relegate. (Yes I know it sounds daft but this is how you have to do it in game.)

In fact, looking at your file, you've actually told the team who gets relegated to have no fate at all. So they won't get relegated.

You'll also need to set a league fate for the Second division to get the team who is promoted to actually promote, otherwise you won't replace the relegated team.

League Stage One

Stage One: Regular Season

Stage ID & Index = 0

Qualification Rules = 6 Places' date=' Closing Stage

Relegation Places = 1

League Fate Actions = None

[i']Now, I've tried adding the fate actions as well to determine the qualified teams, but to no avail. After the regular season finishes - the Q's to mark the top six teams appear as should on the league table, but the second stage is never initiated. On account of this, the seasons never finish and are subsequently not updated after the year.[/i]

League Stage Two

Stage Two: Closing Stage

Stage ID & Index = 1

Teams: Get Qualified Teams from Stage, T&T Pro League, ID=0, Regular Season

League Fate Actions = Top Team: Champions, Top 2 Placed: Qualified for CFU Club Champs

For stage two, instead of getting qualified teams, get league stage teams, that way you can specify their positions. If they are in a group put in the positions of the group you want to get (0 - 1 gets the top 2 teams etc.)

EDIT - just saw you cracked it with what I was going to suggest :)

Okay so angry right now.

Have done what you suggested, tested - same error.

So then I re installed patch 10.3.0 and same error.

Then I uninstalled the game completely, deleted every folder related to FM and re installed game, re installed patch and....same error.

No idea what to do now.

Whenever I click on load editor data or save editor data I get "Not well formed (invalid token) at line 1 of recent_folders.xml now and have no idea what else I can do to remove this.Anyone got any other solutions for me?

Can anyone help??

I have used the "League stage teams" setting to get the playoff to take the top eight teams from the league, but it still crashes at the date when it's supposed to make the draw. Anybody feel confident enough to produce a checklist of things needing ticked/set to make playoffs work (and which settings they need to be)

I have used the "League stage teams" setting to get the playoff to take the top eight teams from the league, but it still crashes at the date when it's supposed to make the draw. Anybody feel confident enough to produce a checklist of things needing ticked/set to make playoffs work (and which settings they need to be)

The play off stage is a cup stage, if I remember correctly from when I was looking at your file.

In that case, you need to make sure that you enter the number of teams that enter from that round in the first round of that stage, and then zeroes in the following rounds.

It was a top 8 playoff, I recall - so you'd need to enter 8 to the number of teams that enter in round 1 of the Cup Stage, and then zeroes (unless you're using a seeding system to give anyone a buy into a later round).

Let me know if that fixes the problem.

Can anyone help??

Defrag your harddrive, can help, if not you have to start on a new file. Doing database changes first, and then editing the advanced panels.

Ok - next problem I can't seem to solve.

I need to transfer the points and results from one stage into the next stage. No matter what I do, the Big Six in Trinidad Tobago start off with zero points. Using the process results into other stage option only allows me to have the Big Six results processed into the Regular Season table. When I tried it the other way around teams still started at 0 points.

It appears this function is only able to process NEW games, and not games that have been played before a certain stage has been created. I even tried setting it so that both tables should be updated, but that just crashes the league.

Any ideas on how I can get the Big Six to take their points with them?

EDIT:

Further tests have also revealed that although I can get the Big Six results to process into the regular season table, the league positions do not update. So if the team that finished the regular season in third place should rise to win the league during the Big Six, they would still be listed in 3rd place even though they have the most points... and the team that finished the regular season on top will still win the championship...

Sounds like you haven't set up a league fate telling the relegated teams to actually relegate. (Yes I know it sounds daft but this is how you have to do it in game.)

In fact, looking at your file, you've actually told the team who gets relegated to have no fate at all. So they won't get relegated.

You'll also need to set a league fate for the Second division to get the team who is promoted to actually promote, otherwise you won't replace the relegated team.

Do you mean the league fate in stage 3 (the regular season) or all the stages? I think I've tried setting league fates in all the stages, together and separately, but without success. But thanks for the advice anyway :thup:

Fortunately, I managed to solve the problem in a different way, I changed the stage id & index of the regular season to 0 and it worked! I was pretty sure I had tried that before but I guess I was so confused after desperately changing settings and hoping it would work that I lost count over what I had tried and what I hadn't :D

Only drawback in this setting is that now the regular season shows first in the competition tab and I'd rather it to show below opening and closing stages. But it's purely cosmetic and I'm happy finally to be able to move forward and now try to get relegation playoff working :) I guess there's no way to implement the average points table, as in the Argentine league?

Hewey:

Does your file have one league stage that does not generate any fixtures, and is only calculated from the other league stages? In your case the Apertura/Clausura results calculate into the Overall League Table.

If so... how'd you do it?

Oh, and by the way - I don't think you need to set a Fate Action to relegate a team. I don't have it in my T&T league, but relegation promotion works just fine. Just tick the option for relegation in the relevant stage.

Hewey:

Does your file have one league stage that does not generate any fixtures' date=' and is only calculated from the other league stages? In your case the Apertura/Clausura results calculate into the Overall League Table.

If so... how'd you do it?

Oh, and by the way - I don't think you need to set a Fate Action to relegate a team. I don't have it in my T&T league, but relegation promotion works just fine. Just tick the option for relegation in the relevant stage.[/quote']

Yes it has. First I made stages 0 (Apertura) and 1 (Clausura). They process results into stage 3 (Overall). Stage 3 won't create any fixtures. My problem was that in this particular order relegation and promotion wouldn't happen; for some reason the game doesn't recognise relegation if it's set in the stage 3 of the league. After some chopping and changing I finally got the right order: Stage 1 (Apertura), stage 2 (Clausura) and then stage 0 (Overall). So I figured the ID and index of the stage where you want relegation/promotion happen must be 0

I noticed fate actions irrelevant, too...well at least in setting relegation or promotion :)

At the moment I'm trying to get the game understand that the team winning relegation playoff will not be crowned as champions :D

Yes it has. First I made stages 0 (Apertura) and 1 (Clausura). They process results into stage 3 (Overall). Stage 3 won't create any fixtures. My problem was that in this particular order relegation and promotion wouldn't happen; for some reason the game doesn't recognise relegation if it's set in the stage 3 of the league. After some chopping and changing I finally got the right order: Stage 1 (Apertura), stage 2 (Clausura) and then stage 0 (Overall). So I figured the ID and index of the stage where you want relegation/promotion happen must be 0

I noticed fate actions irrelevant, too...well at least in setting relegation or promotion :)

At the moment I'm trying to get the game understand that the team winning relegation playoff will not be crowned as champions :D

Thanks. Yeah, I found your xml further up the page and downloaded it to have a look. So, right now I am able to combine the Big Six to the League Table, in theory... but I'm still struggling.

Since only the top 6 play in the Closing Stage, but the game seems to refuse that... Right now it wants to play 40 games (2x the Regular Season), instead of 25 for the top 6 and 20 for the bottom teams...

Running a test to see what happens though, since the game shouldn't generate the 40 fixtures... There's only a 20 game regular season, and then the 5 games for the Big Six (Closing Stage)... probably the game will just stop there and not update anything...

EDIT:

Yup... like I suspected. No further games after the closing stage and it just doesn't update. Now - how to make the League Table stage understand that the season is finished after the Closing Stage has finished...

The play off stage is a cup stage' date=' if I remember correctly from when I was looking at your file.

In that case, you need to make sure that you enter the number of teams that enter from that round in the first round of that stage, and then zeroes in the following rounds.

It was a top 8 playoff, I recall - so you'd need to enter 8 to the number of teams that enter in round 1 of the Cup Stage, and then zeroes (unless you're using a seeding system to give anyone a buy into a later round).

Let me know if that fixes the problem.[/quote']

OLT - I tried doing it that way but it still crashes once the regular league season is finished. Is there something in the league settings that I'm missing - perhaps the check box labelled "Make my league work properly and not crash randomly"

Well, for all those after how to record the competition winner, I have the solution! *Huge grin*

It has everything to do with ranking levels.

I found out by accident, my O-League recorded the winner until recently, by activating some more hidden options in the stage.xml file, specifically the ranking levels for leagues.

Basically you have to set a ranking level for every round, even if you're not doing anything with that particular club. So for me, my O-League final winner gets rank 0, loser gets 1, and in group stage 2nd place gets 2, 3rd gets 3 and 4th gets 4.

When I did that, I started a new game after the one I did before failed to record the winner, and VOILA - it works.

Thanks. Yeah' date=' I found your xml further up the page and downloaded it to have a look. So, right now I am able to combine the Big Six to the League Table, in theory... but I'm still struggling.

Since only the top 6 play in the Closing Stage, but the game seems to refuse that... Right now it wants to play 40 games (2x the Regular Season), instead of 25 for the top 6 and 20 for the bottom teams...

Running a test to see what happens though, since the game shouldn't generate the 40 fixtures... There's only a 20 game regular season, and then the 5 games for the Big Six (Closing Stage)... probably the game will just stop there and not update anything...

EDIT:

Yup... like I suspected. No further games after the closing stage and it just doesn't update. Now - how to make the League Table stage understand that the season is finished after the Closing Stage has finished...[/quote']

In what order have you put the stages in the league? I now have them as follows:

stage1 (process results into stage 0)

stage2 (process results into stage 0)

stage0 (overall table, no fixtures created)

For some reason it has to be like that. If you put stage which doesn't create own fixtures first in the list it doubles the amount of games. But if it's placed last it works fine (at least for me it does).

Also in your case, do you check 'process early finish'? In theory, I guess it should split the league as you want and still process the results into overall table. I haven't tried it myself, though...

I have made the old Yugoslav league structure and the first 4 levels worked perfectly but when I added the 5th and 6th level it got bugged in en. the few teams from the top division were also playing in 5th and 6th levels divisions (the first 2 tiers are single divisions, 3 tier has 3 child comps , 4th has 6, 5th has 6, 6th has 13 child comps)

My question is whats wrong when I have done everything the same

In what order have you put the stages in the league? I now have them as follows:

stage1 (process results into stage 0)

stage2 (process results into stage 0)

stage0 (overall table, no fixtures created)

For some reason it has to be like that. If you put stage which doesn't create own fixtures first in the list it doubles the amount of games. But if it's placed last it works fine (at least for me it does).

Also in your case, do you check 'process early finish'? In theory, I guess it should split the league as you want and still process the results into overall table. I haven't tried it myself, though...

Nah, I got Stage0 placed first in the list, and it works fine.

My latest try, however, does NOT update Max games in Stage 0. Instead, I have set the max games and rounds in the Stage 0 settings, and only send the results to Stage 0.

Running a (final?) test right now to see if a few more tweaks fixed a minor cosmetic issue. Yes, I have finally gotten to Big Six to play out, add to the league table and give the proper end season champions.

The one thing that bugged me right now was that the "C" indicator for Champion appeared after the regular season ended, and stuck with the team that "earned" it. However, they dropped to 3rd after the Big Six and still had that C in front of their name in the League Table. Competition till registered the correct Champions, runners up and third placed though.

So, now I've changed Max games to 25 so that the C does not appear (hopefully) until the top team is safe for a full 25 games. In addition to that, I added the league fate for relegation to the Regular Season (Stage 1), to hopefully ensure that the bottom team is still relegated despite only playing 20 games.

Wish me luck...

EDIT:

Shoot me in the foot!

No - it wanted ALL teams to play 25 games now in order to update Champions and a New Season. Let's see if I can come up with something new... reset and maybe add the League Fate. I have a strong suspicion that that may work... The C may still stick with the wrong team, but hopefully it'll snap to the top of the table after the league has completely finished in my previous (working) setting...

-------------

Magicmastermind:

Sweet news!

So one just needs to ensure that EVERY participating team gets a ranking, from what I gather? Not just the top four or so?

If we have group stages with several groups, can they just be grouped to one placing? Like 5th for example? Don't know how one could rank between groups otherwise.

question

I have made Croatian league in advanced panel, and it works just fine... but there is problem - at the star of the game, each club is in search of manager :confused: what the fak is this? everything works ok, but this is interesting... and also there are new boards

but, at least my club got better coach :D

I ve just added Croatian second league, in advanced panel.. and this shows (game is crashed *)

create_fixture_tree() - No room to bye team to next round.

What is this :mad:

Never seen this error before!

Well, for all those after how to record the competition winner, I have the solution! *Huge grin*

It has everything to do with ranking levels.

I found out by accident, my O-League recorded the winner until recently, by activating some more hidden options in the stage.xml file, specifically the ranking levels for leagues.

Basically you have to set a ranking level for every round, even if you're not doing anything with that particular club. So for me, my O-League final winner gets rank 0, loser gets 1, and in group stage 2nd place gets 2, 3rd gets 3 and 4th gets 4.

When I did that, I started a new game after the one I did before failed to record the winner, and VOILA - it works.

I did it. And still no winners recorded. Here is the file. Can you take a look? In my other file it works. Can it be the fault of a bigger number of clubs?

http://www.wielki.mrowkojad.com/munuWIP.xml

And another question:

How do I get a comp listed under "Europe" /not this file, don't get confused/ and not under a nation? How do I make it visible regardless of what league is selected? (and I don't mean changing existing international comps but ADDING one...)

Competitions only appear in the Europe tab according to defined ID numbers - in effect only the CL, Europa League & Euro Super Cup will appear there unless you delete one of those and use its unique ID. I'd probably remove the super cup for ease.

O'leary: Have you downloaded the polish file uploaded in this post:

http://community.sigames.com/showpost.php?p=5161657&postcount=484

His stages work ok and don't set the cahampions in a earlier stage.

Yeah, I've had a look at most every file. I guess my particular problem is based on the fact that teams play a different number of matches on the season. Only the top six play that final stage, while the regular season decides who is relegated, and (of course) who qualify for the Big Six.

I have it working now, with one remaining cosmetic issue. Now the "C" does not appear at all to indicate the champions. Histories and everything else works as should, but the "C" indicator just doesn't show. I'm thinking I'll have to accept it like that - much better to have no indicator than it was to have it shown in front of the wrong team.

How do I get a comp listed under "Europe" /not this file, don't get confused/ and not under a nation? How do I make it visible regardless of what league is selected? (and I don't mean changing existing international comps but ADDING one...)

I've been wondering the same (though to get my CFU listed under "North America"). I haven't started messing around with it yet, but I've been thinking about a few solutions that some of you may fiddle around with until I get to that stage, if you feel like it.

My theory is that if one uses some Nation Rules to set up the basic squad rules and discipline rules - any nation, really. Then, open the XML in a text editor and edit out the nation name - or replace it with say "North America" or "Europe" and it's ID's if required... something along those lines may allow us to cheat our way into listing the competition where we want to.

I may be completely off, of course - but it's one of many desperate trains of thoughts I've entertained.

question

I have made Croatian league in advanced panel, and it works just fine... but there is problem - at the star of the game, each club is in search of manager :confused: what the fak is this? everything works ok, but this is interesting... and also there are new boards

but, at least my club got better coach :D

This is a problem i have been having with a number of files i have made. Try adding all people of croatian nationality when you start the game, it worked for me, once =P.

Who is your team, btw :D

Yeah' date=' I've had a look at most every file. I guess my particular problem is based on the fact that teams play a different number of matches on the season. Only the top six play that final stage, while the regular season decides who is relegated, and (of course) who qualify for the Big Six.

I have it working now, with one remaining cosmetic issue. Now the "C" does not appear at all to indicate the champions. Histories and everything else works as should, but the "C" indicator just doesn't show. I'm thinking I'll have to accept it like that - much better to have no indicator than it was to have it shown in front of the wrong team.

[/quote']

Have you set the ranking levels, for the stage?

Another question did you thick top teams are champions for every stage, it should only be done for the last stage?

Have you set the ranking levels, for the stage?

Another question did you thick top teams are champions for every stage, it should only be done for the last stage?

Can't set champions in the last stage, as that is only the top six and no matter what I tried I couldn't transfer previous results into that stage - meaning that who wins the Big Six may very well not be the winners overall. So the champions are set in Stage0 (Overall League Table).

But, like I said - everything works just the way it should right now. It's just a cosmetic issue that the "C" never appears.

Interestingly, though, I tried to hide the Regular Season table so that there wasn't three different tables to look at. I wanted only the Overall League Table and the Big Six tables to show - but simply clicking "Hide this stage" for the Regular Season caused the game to schedule the Big Six at the start of the season... of course this can't be done, because you don't know who's going to be in the Big Six. I also had the option of not scheduling the Big Six until Regular Season stage had finished.

Apparently - hiding it makes the game think it's finished.

-----------

Further more, I've moved on to adding the T&T Cups, but now I get Array Access Out Of Bounds... I think it's a dates issue. Anyone know if there are any specific requirements to how to set the Starting and End months in the dates tab of the overall competition?

If you have added the cups and get the array acces out of bounds error, try to unthick the setup date. The competition will then use the Season Update day as a setup day. That error are in some ways related to the setup date.

If the competition start or end in the base year set year offset to 0, if the competition starts or end ends the year after teh base year set year offset to 1.

If you have added the cups and get the array acces out of bounds error, try to unthick the setup date. The competition will then use the Season Update day as a setup day. That error are in some ways related to the setup date.

If the competition start or end in the base year set year offset to 0, if the competition starts or end ends the year after teh base year set year offset to 1.

I didn't have a the setup date ticked. I've tried adding it now, and am running a holiday up to the draw date (the T&T FA Cup starts after the season has finished) to see what happens. At least it didn't crash when I tried to view the competition screen at the start of the season... hopefully it can make the draw ok.

I have just downloaded and copied into the correct folder the format.xml file that steven posted but still do not get any advance options in the editor. Is there something else i need to do? Cheers....

I didn't have a the setup date ticked. I've tried adding it now' date=' and am running a holiday up to the draw date (the T&T FA Cup starts after the season has finished) to see what happens. At least it didn't crash when I tried to view the competition screen at the start of the season... hopefully it can make the draw ok.[/quote']

Yeah if the cup starts after the season the setup date have to be thicked, and then it don't create the array acces out of bounds error..

Anyone know if it would be possible to have more input into which divisions get added to each round of a cup?

I've been trying to create a GB Cup, however everything I do results in the English L2/L1 teams getting picked before the lower division Welsh, Scottish and NI teams.

Archived