A thread for some advanced editing tips

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Using the Advanced Panel, I replaced the Danish Cup to be more like the one in real life.

But when I test it ingame, the game crashed on the day, I set as the comps setup date.

The popup says: array access out of bounds.

Any ideas about what to do?

It's always difficult to tell. But crash in setup date is more likely to have something to do with dates rather than the number of teams or cup format (which usually getting us to the cup but no game will be played). Just check everything, or do the cup all over again - more carefully - if you have time.

Or maybe there is something about the Danish Cup that won't let you do what you have done, I wonder.

Okay. Thanks, I'll look into it. Mind taking a quick look, if I upload it? Just like 5 minutes? :)

It's always nice to have a look from somebody else than yourself when doing stuff like this. Your own work makes you blind.

AaB-ern, I've taken a look at your file, I haven't done other thing to it yet, in case you want to try it yourself. But I guess I have several suggestions that you might want to try :

1. Make it one stage. You can use "qualifying round" in name only for the first three rounds (first, second, and third qualifying round, for example). Put all the teams in that single stage. You don't have to worry that the game will pick the higher level teams in early round, as long as you enter them in correct order (higher division clubs in the bottom of the list, unless you tick the "reverse" option).

2. If you insist to make it a two-stage cup, which I don't really know what the purpose is since both stage use the same system (knock out), you need to set the fate actions, so the team from the first stage can qualify to the second stage.

3. You don't have to sort the lower division teams by "other division", as I found out that most of them don't even have "other division" set.

4. Try to enter the exact number of team from each division you want to participate in the cup, for example 52 from team from lower division.

5. Make sure that the number of team added to a round is set to "0" when you don't want anyone gets a bye to this round.

6. This has nothing to do with the crash, but when you have sort this out, don't forget to add ranking level to each stage (many discussions about it in this thread).

Hope this helps...

AaB-ern, I've taken a look at your file, I haven't done other thing to it yet, in case you want to try it yourself. But I guess I have several suggestions that you might want to try :

1. Make it one stage. You can use "qualifying round" in name only for the first three rounds (first, second, and third qualifying round, for example). Put all the teams in that single stage. You don't have to worry that the game will pick the higher level teams in early round, as long as you enter them in correct order (higher division clubs in the bottom of the list, unless you tick the "reverse" option).

2. If you insist to make it a two-stage cup, which I don't really know what the purpose is since both stage use the same system (knock out), you need to set the fate actions, so the team from the first stage can qualify to the second stage.

3. You don't have to sort the lower division teams by "other division", as I found out that most of them don't even have "other division" set.

4. Try to enter the exact number of team from each division you want to participate in the cup, for example 52 from team from lower division.

5. Make sure that the number of team added to a round is set to "0" when you don't want anyone gets a bye to this round.

6. This has nothing to do with the crash, but when you have sort this out, don't forget to add ranking level to each stage (many discussions about it in this thread).

Hope this helps...

Thank you for your suggestions and tips! :thup:

I'll try them. :)

Is the file still the same as the one on the other thread?

If so take off nation rules, as you cannot use both the advanced panel and nation rules, you have to use one or the other.

I think he's deleted the nation rules, or I missed a big thing:D Can't check it now.

Anyway, how do we list the team from other cup who gets "add to cup round" fate? Do they just appear in the desired round without being in the list of team for the stage?

The "add to cup stage" fate seem handy and fun to try for second-tier cup in the style of UEFA Cup or Spanish Federation Cup where it takes failing clubs from more prestigious cup, yet I always get the wrong teams (usually the best placed team available). But yes, the "qualify" one can handle it in most case.

Is the file still the same as the one on the other thread?

If so take off nation rules, as you cannot use both the advanced panel and nation rules, you have to use one or the other.

I did delete the nation rules. Otherwise, the game wouldn't crash, as my changes wouldn't take effect. ;)

I have a strange error.

I have edited some things (added/removed clubs in some leagues) in Kenco's World League, and it works fine. But when I add the .ddt-file made to retain all players from the clubs in the tournament, my game crashes when preparing the game. The step is called something like "Finding manager topics", I don't know the exact title in English.

If I remove the .ddt-file, it works again.

Any ideas? It's really weird.

Looks like the game tries to load more players than your computer can handle.

Nah, I don't think that's it.

I tried deleting different parts of the file (Line 0-100, then 100-200 and so on), until I found a section, that if deleted, would let the game run.

I don't know why. It was just some random South American teams.

Hope this helps...

I don't know what suggestion, but one of them helped. The tournament runs smoothly. Tested it for 2 seasons so far. Thank you very much!

About ranking levels:

Is this right: I've set winner of final to 0, loser of final to 1.

Winner of Semi Finals to 1, loser of Semi Finals to 2.

Quarter Finals: Winner: 2, Loser: 3.

1/8 Finals: Winner: 3, Loser: 4.

And so on?

So, I've gotten a 6 team championship playoff working in the EPL using national rules, but I want to expand on that and have a 3rd place game along with the finals which will determine the four teams for Champions League qualifying.

Is something like that possible using the advanced rules?

AaB-ern, AFAIK when a team still has chance to win the cup, e.g. round winner, its highest ranking level needs to be set to '0'. Then you can set its current level which you seem to get right.

mteeters, yes it is possible with the adv. panel, Mate.

I have problems with a new small project. I'm trying to make an exact copy of the 2010 FIFA World Cup, including schedules and group letters.

It all worked fine, groups , until I tried making the match schedule. How would you guys make the schedule in the group stage? I tried using the "League Fixtures" tab under Advanced Panel, but it crashed now.

If somebody wants to take a look, the file can be downloaded from here: http://www.filefront.com/16861933/VM.xml

AaB-ern, AFAIK when a team still has chance to win the cup, e.g. round winner, its highest ranking level needs to be set to '0'. Then you can set its current level which you seem to get right.

Good. Thanks. :D

I have problems with a new small project. I'm trying to make an exact copy of the 2010 FIFA World Cup, including schedules and group letters.

It all worked fine, groups , until I tried making the match schedule. How would you guys make the schedule in the group stage? I tried using the "League Fixtures" tab under Advanced Panel, but it crashed now.

If somebody wants to take a look, the file can be downloaded from here: http://www.filefront.com/16861933/VM.xml

Good. Thanks. :D

The League fixtures should be sufficient, you'd have to select the year (2010), and use the correct stage ID and the group it applies to. Then index the teams, so the team in place 1 would be 0, then 1, 2, 3.

It should work, I've done it for the O-League in the Oceanic file I created.

The League fixtures should be sufficient, you'd have to select the year (2010), and use the correct stage ID and the group it applies to. Then index the teams, so the team in place 1 would be 0, then 1, 2, 3.

It should work, I've done it for the O-League in the Oceanic file I created.

I already set it up that way.

However by looking into your O-League file, I found out, what was missing. The League Schedule for the group stage! I didn't think that was necessary when I had done the League Fixtures.

So thanks for the tip. :D

Release is hopefully pretty soon. :)

Is it possible to use league fixtures in the knock out too? It doesn't seem to work here. I don't know how to ensure, that e.g. Spain doesn't play their last group match at June 25th and then starts in Round of 16 on June 26th. How do I avoid this?

I haven't tried out what you are planning to do. You'd probably have to set up move matches for TV, but that might not work as they may still get drawn in the date you're trying to avoid. I'm sure there would be a way, though.

Why don't you send the file in a link by PM and I'll try to help?

You've got the right file.

If you click on that and then Add, Competition,Domestic Division comes up

Click on that (make sure you click it on the menu at bottom left not the main screen) and change the File Type from Competition to Nation

Click the + Icon next to Nation then Click on Transfers.

Lastly do make sure you load the database up beforehand.

Magic, I know you do the English lower divisions without recreating the whole league. I tried to do the same thing with Spanish league, but it hasn't worked so far, only the default tier showed up when I loaded the game. I have change the version to 1 and also try 2.

The thing is that I didn't actually do it from scratch, I had a file of the whole Spanish league system, then I deleted the nation, upper tiers, and left only the Tercera Division and Divisiones Regionales. What can be the problem?

You have to add the Nation in as well, as you have to add the competition you want to have playable in the Competitions List. You also have to set the playable leagues in there as well.

The biggest problem with this is that you will lose the reserve and U18 leagues that are set up, and you have to set up fixture rules from scratch. But although you add the competition to the list in the Nation part of the file, if you don't set it up as a competition in the file it will run the one that is built into the game. Knowing which rules (0, 1, 2, 3 etc.) are used in different competitions is quite hard but if you spent time testing I'm sure you could work it out eventually. Also you have to set up transfer windows, loan windows etc.

In the end I got fed up with the rules not working so I just created all leagues from scratch anyway.

But the problem I think you have had is that the nation's division levels and the competition list were not correct.

Alright, I see, so there are things that still have to be there. I'll give it a try. Thanks.

Would you tell me what rules actually aren't working so you have to create it from scratch? It might be useful to know.

(Anyway, just a rant: Spanish regional boundaries are pure madness to work out on, it's very hard to keep the majority of teams in the right division. Enclaves, exclaves, overlaps, unproportional size differences, islands near Africa, all made worse by the colossal relegation/promotion format and the fact that IRL they all look very tidy. Their FA is lucky they don't have to use FM editor to put a club in a division)

Go into the clubs playing in the country and go to the competition section. There is a section there for regional competitions with a level setting. It was believed this was the division level but it seems to be a strength of preference. This should make sure the clubs don't move around so much.

Strength of preference?? Sorry, but this is really new to me, for ages I have been believing it as division level (with confusion about its starting value, 0 or 1), now I heard this. When and how did you actually come to that conclusion/suspicion? It's never a been subject of discussion in this or any other thread, has it? It will be one of the most important finding about the editor.

I can see the post, thanks. It somewhat makes sense, have to try it first, though. It's almost funny that the editor - advanced or not - is this full of uncertainty, you're going to miss its intrigues in some ways once SI manage to put out a 'perfect' incarnation of it:)

Hi all

I was wondering if anyone knows how to set up an All-Stars team like the East/West All Stars in the MLS. I am hoping to set up an international tournament made up of continental All Stars teams. I have looked at the existing all stars teams but I can't find any way of setting selection criteria. Does anyone know how to do this?

Thanks

Hi! I've asked an editing question ( here: http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=215384 ) and have been advised that I might have some luck with the advanced editing panel. I've downloaded this and have had a play around today, and have looked through this thread, but I haven't found anything that might help. I thought I'd ask again here just in case anyone's worked on the same kind of project. (I'm happy to keep tinkering if not, but it seems daft for me to crack my head over this if it's something simple that someone's already worked out).

Using the regular Nation Rules I've created an international Cup competition along similar lines to the World Cup, but on a yearly basis and with a set 32 teams via the 'Get Specific Team' option. I've attached this to a Nation/League (Bermuda) and it all works fine.

What I now want to do is set the game so that the nations I've chosen aren't also competing in other, pre-existing tournaments (World Cup, WC Qualifying, Copa America, etc). Bottom line, if I'm managing England or Argentina or whoever I only want to be competing in *my* cup year-on-year, nothing else.

I therefore either need to remove / disable existing international competitions or to make those 32 nations (or, hell, even just one would be fine) exempt from inclusion in other competitions.

I've tried deselecting the Fifa Nation tickbox on a specific nation but that doesn't work, they still get included. I've tried setting a competition (Copa America) to my Nation Rules nation, Bermuda, and then tinkering with the number of teams to include or the number of rounds but it just makes the game crash. With the advanced panel I've tried setting the duration of a competition (again, Copa America) to every 100 years or to start in 2100 but, again, the game just crashes. I've tried creating a brand new nation, and also a new continent (that presumably wouldn't be subject to pre-existing competition set up), but just more crashes, or the game ignores what I've asked for completely.

Does anyone know of a way to work around this? (One thought: I've used the "TRANSFER_EMBARGO" edt file before to set up a whole league of teams that can't buy players for 1000 years; is there such a thing as an "INTERNATIONAL_BAN" command or the equivalent (sorry, I know that's not part of the advanced panel in itself?)

Any help would be hugely appreciated in this project. All I want to do is manage a nation in a yearly World Cup!

Quick question - I've expanded the Euros from 16 to 24 teams and redone qualification aswell but at the cup the group stage games aren't played in the host nation, for the knockout stage they are so is there any way to fix this?

Archived