Isolated football clubs

Hi all, was thinking once I have finished my Poggibonsi save I would like to manage a team that is in an isolated destination. One that I can pretend I'm building not only a club but an area, and a club that everyone would hate to travel to. Any ideas?

Happy to listen to any clubs in any respective league/nation.

Thanks!

You could be Ajaccio / Bastia from Corsica? They both have lower league sides as well in the National League. First become the bigger club from Ajaccio / Bastia then develop talent from Corsica.

Will look in to Ajaccio/Bastia tonight.

Nice idea Fabioke but the 8th tier is too low of a level for me. If I was to download the lower leagues I would play as my hometown club (Felixstowe, Suffolk) which isn't particularly in the heart of England.

There must be a football team that's playable that is 'out in the sticks'??

Is the Vladivostok based club in a playable league? There was a lot of travelling when they made it to the Russian Premier League.

FC Luch-Energiya Vladivostok currently play in the Russian Second Division East Zone (which is the third tier though) - so you would need a database edit to play the club. And also, as they play in the Eastern Zone, you would need to get promoted at least to the second tier to have clubs from all over Russia travelling to them.

Maybe there is an Australian club far away from most of the other ones?! (Just an idea, I have no clue about the Australian league).

I love this idea.

Here are some other possibilities that have not been mentioned yet ...

• Tijuana (located pretty far from all the other Liga MX teams; see the map at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013-14_Liga_MX_season)
  • Wellington Phoenix (based in New Zealand when every other A-League team is located in Australia; unfortunately, they are not eligible for the AFC or OFC Champions League)
  • Cagliari (similar to Ajaccio/Bastia, this Italian club is located on Sardinia, just south of Corsica)
  • FC Vaduz (not that geographically isolated, but are the only Liechtenstein club to do anything of note in the Swiss leagues; they will play in the top-tier Swiss Super League in 2014-15)
  • Las Palmas and/or Tenerife (Spanish clubs that play in the Canary Islands)
  • Sarawak FA (Malaysian club that plays by itself in the east of the country - take a look at the map at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Malaysia_Super_League)
  • Truro City is a great option for those who want to go down to level seven in England or use the editor to bump them up to Conference South

Note: FC Luch-Energiya Vladivostok actually played in Russia's second level in 2013-14 and will do so again in 2014-15 (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013%E2%80%9314_Russian_National_Football_League).

Other suggestions:

* FC Gute in the Swedish 4th tier is the only team from the island of Gotland who is playable from the start.

* I think Panthrakikos Komotini in Greece is quite isolated in the northeast of Greece.

* Brunei DPMM (from Brunei) who plays in Singaporean S-League.

* IFK Mariehamn (from the islands of Åland) play in the Finnish top tier.

* FC Baltika Kaliningrad (in the Russian exclave between Poland and Lithuania) plays in the Russian 2nd tier.

And I guess any Dubrovnik team could be said to be quite isolated.

Morning all, thanks for all the suggestions, keep them coming. I am going to research in to some of the clubs mentioned, but if there are any more than please jot them down as other posters may find this thread useful.

The ones that first came to mind originally were indeed Perth and Wellington Phoenix,

I also thought that there would be a few Scandinavian clubs that are hidden in the fjords/woods.

Vladivostok is a fascinating place, in researching I found a few entertaining articles such as this one: http://backpagefootball.com/4000-miles-east/18862/.

Maple's suggestions are more in the mould of what I personally had in mind - tiny clubs in tiny places in the middle of nowhere. With the size of Russia FC Baltika Kaliningrad look like an interesting prospect, I didn't even know Russia had an exclave between Poland and Lithuania.

Consadole Sapporo are the only team on Hokkaido island in Japan, in the north east of Japan, and they're in the second tier. Mountains, volcanos, lakes, forests, disputed territories, ice floes, aboriginal people and snow with warm summers.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=sapporo&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=tzyLU_rNIcOjO_r9gYAG&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAg&biw=800&bih=467

Vladivostok is a fascinating place, in researching I found a few entertaining articles such as this one: http://backpagefootball.com/4000-miles-east/18862/.

Interesting article. As an American, I always chuckle a little when I hear about English fans complaining about traveling 300 miles when that is a short road trip for an American club. However, Vladivostok is at another extreme altogether (however, they are in the same league as FC SKA-Energiya Khabarovsk, which is practically next door to Vladivostok at 475 miles away).

FYI - FC Baltika Kaliningrad is in the same league as FC Luch-Energiya Vladivostok, which has to be the longest road trip for a domestic league game in the world.

Vladivostok has intrigued me ever since I found out about the Trans-Siberian Railway (a 5,772-mile, week-long journey between Moscow and Vladivostok), a trip that I hope to take at some point in my life.

It would be crazy if Vladivostok one day qualifies for the Champions League (under your tutelage?) - can you imagine Chelsea having to fly thousands and thousands of miles for a very important mid-week game?

Both Vladivostok clubs are in the Russian 2nd tier.

Who is the other one? I know that Wikipedia is not perfect, but ... according to Wikipedia, there are no clubs from Vladivostok in the top tier, just the one in the second tier and nobody from that city got promoted from the third into the second tier for the 2014-15 season. In fact, according to the Russian Wikipedia page for the third tier's 2013-14 season, it does not appear that any teams at that level were based in Vladivostok either (judging by the map at http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%9F%D0%B5%D1%80%D0%B2%D0%B5%D0%BD%D1%81%D1%82%D0%B2%D0%BE_%D0%9F%D0%A4%D0%9B_2013/2014).

Vladivostok has intrigued me ever since I found out about the Trans-Siberian Railway (a 5,772-mile, week-long journey between Moscow and Vladivostok), a trip that I hope to take at some point in my life.

As someone who's actually lived in Vladivostok, I can tell you that it's nothing worth writing home about. I've only taken parts of the route in the Far East but it's miserably hot on the trains in the summer, nothing but forests to see outside, nobody speaks English and you have belligerent drunk people constantly stumbling about the train harassing other passengers. (nothing to do but drink...)

As someone who's actually lived in Vladivostok, I can tell you that it's nothing worth writing home about. I've only taken parts of the route in the Far East but it's miserably hot on the trains in the summer, nothing but forests to see outside, nobody speaks English and you have belligerent drunk people constantly stumbling about the train harassing other passengers. (nothing to do but drink...)

Yeah, I have already tempered my romantic view of the journey with a realistic view of what the experience would actually be like, including as somebody who does not know a word of Russian. However, as a fan of trains and of extremes, I am fascinated by the idea of being on a train for so many days in a row with it still having not reached its destination. I also like the idea of traveling through different parts of Russia, from Moscow out to the east. Plus, Siberia has always intrigued me.

Not to take this thread too off-topic, but one follow-up question if I may ... you mentioned how hot the trains are during the summer; are they heated enough during the winter? As long as the trains are relatively heated, I am actually leaning towards doing this in the winter. However, that may be too extreme - perhaps I should go in the spring or autumn.

Morning all, thanks for all the suggestions, keep them coming. I am going to research in to some of the clubs mentioned, but if there are any more than please jot them down as other posters may find this thread useful.

The ones that first came to mind originally were indeed Perth and Wellington Phoenix,

I also thought that there would be a few Scandinavian clubs that are hidden in the fjords/woods.

Maple's suggestions are more in the mould of what I personally had in mind - tiny clubs in tiny places in the middle of nowhere. With the size of Russia FC Baltika Kaliningrad look like an interesting prospect, I didn't even know Russia had an exclave between Poland and Lithuania.

I like this idea, if you're good with the editor, also, then maybe you could edit East Russia (or on a smaller scale the Vladivostok area) as a seperate nation and the ntry and build up Luch and the nation! That would make an immense story

Barrow is a decent shout for this in the English leagues; the only league club anywhere nearby is Carlisle, the nearest professional club (if memory serves) plays in Scotland and it's a miserable old town: cold, wet, full of hills, practically bugger-all to do and home of around seven people, who seem to be universally miserable. Seriously, from experience, it's the kind of town that people would need to be paid to visit even if Lionel Messi, Ronaldo and Jesus Christ himself signed for the club and got them to a Champions League semi-final with the promise of a quickie for every fan in attendance with Kate Upton.

Isolated? Maybe not by American standards, but it's a decent number of miles (and centuries) from civilization.

Apologies, of course, to any natives of Barrow who might be on here... but the brief time I spent in Barrow were among the most depressing hours of my life.

Don't French overseas territories send representatives to the French FA cup from time to time? So, Mayotte, Reunion, Guadeloupe, New Caledonia etc get to send one. I think in 09 New Caledonia sent a representative (AS Mont-Dore according to wiki) which would surely (albeit on a number of technicalities) count as the most isolated club if you imagine them taking part in the FA Cup. Theoretically if they managed to win it they'd be eligible for the Europa league. Can you imagine travelling to New Caledonia on a Thursday night???

My personal favourite is FC Baltika Kaliningrad in the Russian league - Kaliningrad is between Lithuania and Poland and is completely separated from the rest of Russia

I also have a penchant for lower league teams based on Majorca (probably because its one of my favourite holiday destinations) - At Baleares and Constancia

I know there is a edited database as well which turns back the clock to the Cold Ware era when there was East and West Germany (as well as the USSR etc) so it might be possible to manage a West Berlin club in the Bundesliga (again,West Berlin was isolated)

Not to take this thread too off-topic, but one follow-up question if I may ... you mentioned how hot the trains are during the summer; are they heated enough during the winter? As long as the trains are relatively heated, I am actually leaning towards doing this in the winter. However, that may be too extreme - perhaps I should go in the spring or autumn.

Winter is definitely more tolerable on the trains than summer (although it is generally miserable outside), although winter storms can always pose a threat to your travels. Of course, the trip is more about the stops than the train itself, and winter isn't exactly the most hospitable time of year to be in Siberia...

Interesting article. As an American, I always chuckle a little when I hear about English fans complaining about traveling 300 miles when that is a short road trip for an American club. However, Vladivostok is at another extreme altogether (however, they are in the same league as FC SKA-Energiya Khabarovsk, which is practically next door to Vladivostok at 475 miles away).

FYI - FC Baltika Kaliningrad is in the same league as FC Luch-Energiya Vladivostok, which has to be the longest road trip for a domestic league game in the world.

Next season the trip will be even longer, because FC Sakhalin promoted to FNL (Russian 2nd tier).

Next season the trip will be even longer, because FC Sakhalin promoted to FNL (Russian 2nd tier).

Unbelievable. Sakhalin must be a nightmare to code, too. Just looked at the population demographics... how are they supposed to code 12% of their newgens being Korean?

However, as a fan of trains and of extremes, I am fascinated by the idea of being on a train for so many days in a row with it still having not reached its destination. I also like the idea of traveling through different parts of Russia, from Moscow out to the east. Plus, Siberia has always intrigued me.

I don't suppose you've played Chase The Express (a.k.a. Covert Ops: Nuclear Dawn) on the PS1, have you?

any clubs in Hawaii?

No. I am sure there is some local amateur league there - similar to Sunday leagues in England - but I do not believe there are even any Hawaiian clubs anywhere in the editor.

The only professional sports team from Hawaii that I can think of is a minor league baseball team that last played there in 1987 before the franchise moved to Colorado Springs. The University of Hawaii sponsors several athletics teams that play in leagues that are otherwise entirely comprised of schools based in the mainland.

However, it could be cool to go into the editor and create a club based in Honolulu and move them into MLS, perhaps replacing Chivas USA.

Winter is definitely more tolerable on the trains than summer (although it is generally miserable outside), although winter storms can always pose a threat to your travels. Of course, the trip is more about the stops than the train itself, and winter isn't exactly the most hospitable time of year to be in Siberia...

Thanks for the follow-up message. One other negative to winter train travel is that the days are shorter (less time to look out the window at the scenery). Perhaps I should go in March or so when it is still chilly, but it is starting to warm up a little, and the days are longer than, say, in December. I don't know, but if I do this it will likely not be for at least a couple of years, so I have plenty of time to decide on the timing.

You could just create a fictional club based in Svalbard and then see how long it takes for it to go bankrupt due to the travelling costs to mainland Norway for the LL games... ;)

Íþróttabandalag Vestmannaeyja from Iceland league?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vestmannaeyjar

IBV might be isolated, but they aren't a small club in Icelandic terms; they've won the league three times and David James, David Moyes and most of the best Icelandic platers of the last decade have come through there...

Unbelievable. Sakhalin must be a nightmare to code, too. Just looked at the population demographics... how are they supposed to code 12% of their newgens being Korean?

I think it could easily (but crudely) done by creating "shadow cities" with identical names but different Unique IDs with 12% of the population of of the "real" cities and setting the local language of those cities to Korean.

I think it'd be pretty cool for the editor savvy people to incorporate a team from the Isle of Man into the English leagues, or a team from the Shetlands into the Scottish leagues.

Of course, I don't have the first clue about editor use myself as I've never used them so I have no idea how it would be done.

IBV might be isolated, but they aren't a small club in Icelandic terms; they've won the league three times and David James, David Moyes and most of the best Icelandic platers of the last decade have come through there...

I had to Google to make sure you weren't joking.

• 3 years later...

SKA Khabarovsk are now in Russian Premier League - Far East of Russia

http://www.goal.com/en/news/zenit-facing-18000-km-round-trip-next-season-as-promotion-set-to-/h1rtsckdmfm51m3ye20mu91dd

If you can get them to the champions league you could have nice travelling vs Sporting Lisbon

For more of a challenge, try FC Baltika Kaliningrad or Luch Vladivostok (mentioned in previous posts) - Both in league 1 (Next League Below Premier League)

The distance from Saint Petersburg to Khabarovsk. (Google Maps)

On 6/1/2014 at 13:28, Animasta said:

U.D. Melilla is the only answer, it's a spanish exclave on the Moroccan coast.

Even though their squad at the start is so bad...

Yeah, but they're Spanish, so you can stock up with African amateurs. I won the Champions League with them a few years back. 14, maybe?

Xinjiang Snow Leopards in China are quite isolated from every other professional football club (top 3 divisions); well over 2,000 km from the nearest other team in Hohhot. Plus Xinjiang is an interesting and newsworthy place. No add-on leagues needed.

I'm not sure there even is a recognised amateur league or football association in Xinjiang (and some other places in China), therefore there's no competition for any team to win and get into the professional leagues, meaning that there can be no other professional team in the area ever, (unless another professional team relocates which is possible IRL but wouldn't happen in the game), but it's very possible that I may be wrong. 

In Brazil, Paysandu (Second Division in 2017) is the most isolated one in the top two divisions as it's only team from the Northern region.

Like all Brazilian teams, they also play a state league against regional opps though.

On 04/08/2017 at 16:51, muskett00 said:

SKA Khabarovsk are now in Russian Premier League - Far East of Russia

http://www.goal.com/en/news/zenit-facing-18000-km-round-trip-next-season-as-promotion-set-to-/h1rtsckdmfm51m3ye20mu91dd

If you can get them to the champions league you could have nice travelling vs Sporting Lisbon

For more of a challenge, try FC Baltika Kaliningrad or Luch Vladivostok (mentioned in previous posts) - Both in league 1 (Next League Below Premier League)

The distance from Saint Petersburg to Khabarovsk. (Google Maps)

Zenit away is a bastard for their fans.

Archived