Job Interview For Manager's Position.

Dont shoot me down in flames here, but would it not be a great idea to go for a interview you apply for or if they approach you, with a load of questions in what makes you the best man for the job.

Be a great interaction part of the game and make it a bit more realistic :)

Great idea, would make it more fun that just negogiating a contract which 80% of the time the club won't budge. The problem with the "right answers" could be fixed if possible. All chairmans have their own characteristics, they could obviously react differently to each answer, an ambitious chairman may like the sound of you wanting to fight for the league straight away (if your say hull or something) but someone thats more realistic may think your over your head and may spend the club into debt and decides you aren't the right man for the job.

A way it could work is if there were points awarded randomly to each question, and in order to be offered the job you must achieve over a random score.

The structure of the question would hint at the best response as would recent press from the club, including the reasons the previous incumbent resigned/was sacked.

Relating the questions to the personality of the board would of course be very good.

Once you start introducing randomness, though, you start annoying people who answer questions pretty perfectly but don't get the job because of pure chance.

I'm just playing devil's avocado, I'm not necessarily disagreeing.

I think this is a brilliant idea, im all for little additions that add to the personal managers side of things.

Id love to have the chance to state your expectations, but at the same time say what backing it will take to achieve this.

This could then be linked to your start of season expectations. for instance you may have said, give me the job, and £100M = Winning the league, £50M = Challenging for Champ league, £25M = Challenging for Europe.

Then if it does go wrong you only have urself to blame!

also if you say you would like £100M to challenge but they will only back you to £70M for title challenge then you can resign on this basis, and it wouldnt actually be to your detriment. coz the chairman has swindled you into taking the job on false promises.

Or what about you could state long term plans: like develop youth academy, and help fill the first team full of developing players from it, or cut club debt by 'X' amount each year.

Once agai if you dont achieve these things then the board are within there rights to fire you, and it will effect whatever promiseds you make going on to the next job offer. It may come a time where you have promised so much and delivered so little that no one believs anything you say anymore and they all become very cautious of hiring you!

Relating the questions to the personality of the board would of course be very good.

Once you start introducing randomness, though, you start annoying people who answer questions pretty perfectly but don't get the job because of pure chance.

I'm just playing devil's avocado, I'm not necessarily disagreeing.

Isn't that the case with Job Interviews in real life? You can answer all the questions brilliantly and still not get the job.

Dont shoot me down in flames here, but would it not be a great idea to go for a interview you apply for or if they approach you, with a load of questions in what makes you the best man for the job.

Be a great interaction part of the game and make it a bit more realistic :)

Bloody brilliant idea!!!

Pleased some agree, one thing which would be great in the job interview where the chairman offers the manager say 200000 pounds for keeping the club up especially in the prem league where they are in the bottom three, would be a nice option in the interview process.

In real manager job interviews the subject of players is discussed and often they present a list of players who they would like to bring to the club. I think this would be a nice addition in testing your ambitions. Also, many managers now request that their staff at their current club be brought with them as part of the contract. Maybe that could be added if you have a particularly good assman

I doubt that the feature would be a real success unless it was done very much better than the current press conferences are.

Otherwise I can see a lot of frustration creeping in. If it was random, people might have to go through 5 or 6 'interviews' or more before they were lucky enough to hit the right combination of answers and this might mean an awfully long time just sitting in front of the screen with not a lot happening, which I somehow doubt would be very popular.

If it were to be put in, it would have to be done very well and I don't reckon that would be terribly easy.

A good idea, though it would take a lot of work to do well. It was discussed a while ago and for me the main problem would be that the questions would be much the same as in your opening press conference, with long-term ambition the only new area not covered by that that I could think of off the top of my head though there may be a few others.

Rather than totally focus on the player picking the right answer, the job interview would be a great way to give the player some information about the club prior to taking the job.

Example: "The club is currently spending at a rate of approximately 130% of turnover, with the biggest expenditure being wages, how do you plan to address this?"

or:

"The club has a large gap between the wages being spent and the wage salary being offered, what is your plan with regards this?"

I hate taking over a club where my information is limited to finances: okay and a brief look at the squad screen. More information prior to taking a job would definitely be appreciated. I have taken over several clubs only to find they are in a much worse situation then I had guessed, and gotten frustrated only to go back to my previous save.

Sounds like a good idea if done better than press conferences.

What about interviewing potential backroom staff when you are looking for new staff members this could bring staff relationships and personalities into the game more which I would like to see

The idea is a very good one, but the implementation is too difficult to justify the time it would need to make it a good feature. As quite a few have said, just point to the press conference implementation to show why it wouldn't work.

It's a very good idea... but has been mentioned many times before.

I like the idea. It would be good for the chairman to add information about what he wants to see and how he plans on taking the club forward? They could give you information on budget plans for the future, Plus he could tell you about big name/ popular players that would effect the team if sold. Just give a little more interaction about what the board hope to see and how they expect you to run the club. It would all add to the human side of the game and make it a little more in depth at a club.

I think it could also be expanded into Signing big name players where you have to speak to the chairman to request the extra money or when making a very large offer for a player. At the moment it seems a little unrealistic that as a manager you would be able to just go out and offer 120 million for a player with no input from the board!!

SCIAG - we know it's a game but some gamers want more added realism, and this is an area that is felt could be adapted.

True, but as already stated by myself and others it would just get really boring and repeitive just like the press conferences.

True, but as already stated by myself and others it would just get really boring and repeitive just like the press conferences.

In roleplaying the interviews correctly, I think chances are very slim that the amount of them could make this feature become repetetive. If you have as many job intervies as press conferences, I guess you're doing something wrong.

The job interview is IMO an opportunity in two ways: not only to get an impression of what the club expects from you and what it gives you in return, but also to learn more about your own goals with the club and strategies to achieve them. Almost like a real job interview I'd say. Even the randomness could be caused by the chemistry (either good or bad) between the chairman/president and you as aspiring manager.

The possibilities are manyfold. If asked questions about the style of play and preferred formations, players and (remaining) staff could be either looking forward (if matching their preferences) or be apprehensive about your arrival. Not to mention the question about bringing your own staff and the effect it might have on the current staff, or the feelings of the chairman if your financial plans are more then what either he or the club are able to spend. So yes, I'd love that feature.

The only way in which it would be likely to be implemented would be by using the multiple choice formula which is used for press conferences. Unfortunately, the outcomes of these frequently seem arbitrary and unrelated to common sense. I see no reason to suppose that job interviews would be different in any substantial way.

As I said in an earlier post, if there was some sort of random factor involved in determining what were supposed to be the 'correct' responses to the questions (which I would have thought would be almost inevitable), then there is the very real possibility that it would need a fair number of 'interviews' before you were lucky enough to get them right. Given the fact that managerial vacancies don't come up that often, I could see people waiting around for ages before actually being able to start playing and I think that would cause lots of grumbling, somehow, given how much people tend to moan about the existing press conferences.

I appreciate that it would be more realistic. Unfortunately, I think that this greater realism could well lead to FM becoming a worse game to play, for the reasons I've given.

The only way in which it would be likely to be implemented would be by using the multiple choice formula which is used for press conferences. Unfortunately, the outcomes of these frequently seem arbitrary and unrelated to common sense. I see no reason to suppose that job interviews would be different in any substantial way.

As I said in an earlier post, if there was some sort of random factor involved in determining what were supposed to be the 'correct' responses to the questions (which I would have thought would be almost inevitable), then there is the very real possibility that it would need a fair number of 'interviews' before you were lucky enough to get them right. Given the fact that managerial vacancies don't come up that often, I could see people waiting around for ages before actually being able to start playing and I think that would cause lots of grumbling, somehow, given how much people tend to moan about the existing press conferences.

Spot on, couldn't agree more. If i couldn't be done properly i'd rather not see it at all.

I wouldn't want my answers in an interview to lose me a job, so it's gets a no from me. It may be more realism, but I'd be pretty annoyed if I missed out on my dream job because I answered some multiple choice questions wrong.

What I wouldn't mind is an interview with the chairman, talking about targets, long term plans etc. If you answer to his liking, then you could get a boost in job security, or more transfer money etc.

I don't actually think this would be tiresome in the same way press conferences are because I'm sure most people wouldn't change jobs that often for it to be.

Ah but to be consistent you would really have to go through an interview for you first job wouldn't you - at the start of your save? Presumably if you 'failed' the first interview for the club of your choice you'd then have to go through the mill of being unemployed and waiting for vacancies, if you were trying to make the whole thing more realistic, which is what some people seem to be saying they want.

I love the idea and have 3 things to say about it:

1. I agree with the fellow who said it would be fun to interview backroom staff as well.

2. We don't have to worry about the implementation of this. That is SI's job.

3. For those who shoot down this idea like all others they don't agree with, there could be an option for 'job interviews' that you could 'tick' in the preferences or set-up.

I love the idea and have 3 things to say about it:

1. I agree with the fellow who said it would be fun to interview backroom staff as well.

2. We don't have to worry about the implementation of this. That is SI's job.

3. For those who shoot down this idea like all others they don't agree with, there could be an option for 'job interviews' that you could 'tick' in the preferences or set-up.

Your points in order:

1. I can understand how you can simulate an interview by the human would-be manager answering multiple choice questions. I find it difficult to see how you could 'interview' an AI backroom staff member, though. How would it be done?

2. Well, given the fact that SI haven't implemented press conferences all that brilliantly, shouldn't we be concerned about how it would be done? Do we really want another feature that doesn't work very well?

3. Fair point - that would avoid any problems for those who didn't want the feature. Could we have the same for press conferences as well, please, SI?

Your points in order:

1. I can understand how you can simulate an interview by the human would-be manager answering multiple choice questions. I find it difficult to see how you could 'interview' an AI backroom staff member, though. How would it be done?

Not sure. Lot's of conversations and trial-and-error...

2. Well, given the fact that SI haven't implemented press conferences all that brilliantly, shouldn't we be concerned about how it would be done? Do we really want another feature that doesn't work very well?

I trust SI to do their job. While some of the features aren't what I would have thought but it is their choice and not mine. Still, I respect that SI is not on everybody's favorites list.

3. Fair point - that would avoid any problems for those who didn't want the feature. Could we have the same for press conferences as well, please, SI?

I agree with you for the press conferences option too...

Who thinks it would be a good idea that instead of the current apply and wait system of applying for a job was extended to be a bit more realistic?

I was thinking that utilising the current press conference format, when you apply for a job you could be invited for an interview, and in theory how you perform could have a bigger say on if you get the job or not. Do well in the interview and as an outsider you could get the job, do badly and as favorite for the job you could be overlooked.

The questions and answer format could be something similiar too-:

What is your vision for the club?

1) I aim to consolidate our position and slowly build for the future

2) I aim to be winning trophies within 3 years

3) I aim to overhaul the club completely from the bottom up

4) I aim to attract some top players and build a quality team immediately

The answer you give would then depend on the team you are applying to, their financial position and ambition. For example if applying for Manchester City then 4 would probably be the best answer. If applying for Portsmouth then 1 or 3 would probably be best.

So what do you think??

Good idea, but I saw a similar thread earlier, complaining that when you get offered a job you get told the transfer and wage budget but not the club's expectations for that season until you accept it, so to amalgamate the two ideas:

when you apply for a job, you get asked

a) what your ambitions for the season would be (winner, title challenge, top-half, respectable position etc)

b) "what wage/transfer budget would you require for this" or "would x transfer and y wage budget be enough/more than you need" etc

Thats good aswell mg, you could go very complex with it, but I feel it would be a good way of a LLM doing a dazzling interview and getting a job ahead of a more experienced boss. Obviously on some occasions you wouldnt even get an interview just like IRL, you could be asked questions about plans for the future, transfer policy, football style, your planned backroom staff etc etc.

I think it is an idea that could be be developed over time.

Archived