Most Impressive Players So Far?

football_master_94

• Administrators

Iniesta, Özil and Sneijder stood out as a class apart for me in the first two rounds of games. although Özil probably a shade below and has Schweinsteiger and Khedira playing excellently with him. Sneijder just looks exasperated at the ineptitude around him whilst he does exceptional stuff for the Netherlands, and Iniesta has been supreme.

Hummels the best defender by far. Sivok has been quietly tidy too.

Iniesta has probably been the best player but hasn't impressed me the most cause we all expect him to be brilliant. Pilar and Welbeck have impressed me more in that sense because I wasn't expecting anything from them yet they've been good.

I was going to start the very same thread. :mad: Are you me, actually, fm94? Same year and not the first time I noticed you doing the exact same thing I would have done (praising Mellberg's beard effect, De Rossi vs Spain).

Anyway, on topic. Hummels has been great so far, as has De Rossi for a midfielder playing as a centreback. Iniesta, Xavi and David Silva have been brilliant and I'm quite impressed by Papadopoulos and Welbeck.

Adding to the first list

Schweinsteiger

Krohn-Dehli

Pepe

De Rossi (even in a CB position)

The entire Spain team against Ireland :cool:

Some player impressed for one game though like Bendtner and Shevchenko and the defense of CZR and Greece

I have always loved Hubschman great player, I think Debuchy has been a surprise he looks a pretty accomplished full back as does Maggio who has also impressed me. Pepe however much I may not like him is a fantastic footballer and has been a standout for Portugal.

Van Der Wiel is one who has not however and looks like a pretty raw full back for his perceived pedigree, looks a poor defender.

Mandzukic will leave this tournament with a much higher rating to my eyes. Looks a really top striker, ...oh only if Portugal had one like him, we didn't need more...

Also, I already rated Hummels before, but he still impressed me, he really is world class.

Those praises for Maggio are baffling to say the least... A non-factor when attacking and woeful at defending...

Back on topic, most names have been made already... It's not surprising most names are of hard-working players who, sometimes, also possess quality.

Notice the lack of stikers, except Mandzukic and probably Gomez.

I don't really think anyone's been great. Iniesta has been the best, but that's because he's the best footballer in the world, not because he's played brilliantly. Like others have said, Sneijder dragged a terrible team along as best he could as well.

Iniesta has been excellent. However not sure he would be praised so much if Spain weren't play the game of how many playmakers can we fit into the team.

Sneijder has been much better than he was in the world cup.

If I had to pick a best XI from "lesser known players*" it'd be something like this:

Tyton

Gebre-Selassie Schildenfeld Khaceridi Limbersky

Mikkelsen Jiracek Obraniak Pilar

Devic Yarmolenko

*Yes I know most of you will have known them before etc.

I don't really think anyone's been great. Iniesta has been the best, but that's because he's the best footballer in the world, not because he's played brilliantly. Like others have said, Sneijder dragged a terrible team along as best he could as well.

Messi?

I agree though Iniesta has been magical

Gebre Selassie

Debuchy

Karagounis

Pilar

Casillas

Mario Gomez

Gerrard

Terry

Zlatan

Modric

Hummels

Schweinsteiger

De Rossi

Pirlo

I'm surprised you mention Casillas? Maybe I just haven't paid enough attention to him, though.

I'm surprised you mention Casillas? Maybe I just haven't paid enough attention to him, though.

Hasn't had much to do but without him they'd be out IMO. Saved them big time vs Croatia. More important than any other 'keeping performance so far this tournament.

Jordi Alba looking good as an attacking full-back. What is he, 18? Amazing to turn up at the Euros at his age and play the way he has been. Don't know about him defensively yet, hopefully France will test the Spanish.

Conversely, Pirlo has been rolling back the years and looking quality. Will be fascinating to see him vs Gerrard on Sunday.

Archived