Largest city to not have/never have a Football League team

Me and some mates fancy doing a FM challenge where we take a club in a city who haven't got, or indeed never have had, a Football League team. So I need some ideas as to cities we could choose from.

Some ideas I've had include Salford, Wakefield and Poole. Dudley is one too I believe...

Any more ideas would be great :D

Me and some mates fancy doing a FM challenge where we take a club in a city who haven't got, or indeed never have had, a Football League team. So I need some ideas as to cities we could choose from.

Some ideas I've had include Salford, Wakefield and Poole. Dudley is one too I believe...

Any more ideas would be great :D

I would like to know thelargest City not to have a top football league (Prem/Old Div 1) side it used to be Hull City

Looking at the list on wiki Dudley is the biggest but you could argue its part of the bigger Birmingham/Midlands area.

Aside from that then Poole seems to be the answer with Telford, Slough & Gloucester getting mentions.

I would like to know thelargest City not to have a top football league (Prem/Old Div 1) side it used to be Hull City

Largest city to never have a top flight team is Plymouth.

Pretty sure I've read somehwere that Wakefield is the largest city thats never had a Football League team.

Skegness ;)

also, I did a similar thing on LMA 2007 way back, but I created London FC and Glasgow City!!

I live there but we only have a population of around 30k (including surrounding villages) so it would be hard to get attendances very high plus we all support teams from all over the place because most of us have either moved here from elsewhere or just support the big teams.

Salford is very close to where Manchester United play so again that would be hard to get anybody really interested. I would say that Worcester is one of biggest places to not have a league team with a population of around 96k.

Well can't trust that list entirely, often there's a big difference between considered "city" population and actual population, I mean the nottingham city boundaries are weird, and dont count several major attatched districts, meaning the population on that list is less than half the "real" figure.

In my eyes at least, then again, the whole city/town definition is sketchy too.

Biggest city to never have a Premier League team has to be Bristol surely.

Bristol has had a team in the top-flight before, just not the Premier League. Same thing I suppose.

The largest city never to have had a top-flight football team is Plymouth :(

Looking at the list on wiki Dudley is the biggest but you could argue its part of the bigger Birmingham/Midlands area.

Aside from that then Poole seems to be the answer with Telford, Slough & Gloucester getting mentions.

Yep, my home city of Gloucester must be one of the largest and oldest free standing cities never to have had a league club.

Dudley isn't seen as a city though but as a part of Birmingham

You're right that Dudley is not a city but you're wrong that you say it is a part of Birmingham. It is a town in it's own right and was unsuccessful in an attempt to gain city status this year.

Archived