Do you pick a sub goalie?

I'm curious what people's views are on playing a sub goalie.

Despite having an injury and a red card to my goalie in games in the last 2 seasons, I still usually decide not a pick a reserve goalie, especially in matches with only 5 subs.

(Unless I ask my assistant to pick)

Do you go for safety-first, or see the GK sub's position as one better used for outfield players.

Despite having an injury and a red card to my goalie in games in the last 2 seasons, I still usually decide not a pick a reserve goalie, especially in matches with only 5 subs.

Do you go for safety-first, or see the GK sub's position as one better used for outfield players.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hershie:

I'm curious what people's views are on picking a sub goalie.

Do you go for safety-first, or see the GK sub's position as one better used for outfield players? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not awake yet; It's only mid-Afternoon. icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I'm curious what people's views are on playing a sub goalie. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If playing in Scotland then I don't have a choice. The SPL rules say that a goalie has to be listed among the subs icon_frown.gif

I don't as a general rule. I prefer the choice of an extra outfield sub over the small chance of a goalie getting injured.

If a goalie does get injured then there are plenty of ways to cover an outfield players shoved in goal.

I guess it would make sense for me to find an outfield player who has a better goalie rating of course. Maybe someone to look for.

I don't pick one. I'd much rather put a youngster on the bench who can get the last 15 minutes if I'm two goals up.

In three season I still haven't had my keeper injured or a red carded, so it's working well so far. Long may it continue. (knock on wood).

I never take a sub goalie along unless it is a cup final, or a last game of the league and I need to win. Because in this situation I would guarantee to get my goalie injuured. Other than that nope never, had one injury to a keeper in 12 seasons acros 5 teams, I put my reserve Striker in goal, had the best goalie stats of my OF players. Well was down 1-0 when that happened and game finished 1-2, so not only did he stop 12 shots on goal (Who knows how) he got a goal as well from a corner :p

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by creature_from_ottawa:

If the goalie gets injured in the game,you're in trouble.So i pick them </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

agreed

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by B. Stinson:

I always pick a sub goalie, but I never use him. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

what more can i say...the guy has got it right first time.

i think its important to do so,,, i had an experience of not picking a sub goalie in a champions league quarter final leg 2 match against roma ,, my goalie was injured ( GIVEN - newcastle united) i lost that game 6-3 at home ! really embarrasing ,,,so ya be aware of it and pick a sub goalie ,,,

best wishes

i have never had my goalkeeper injured so no..i dont know how i would cope now with only 4 or 6 subs....even on the patch where you get 7 subs i still dont take him...

actually i have never seen any goalkeeper sent off is this odd?

In my current save game I always have a 'keeper on the bench, but in an old FM06 game where I was managing Newcastle, Derby and Whitley Bay I almost never put a 'keeper on the bench.

Funnily enough, whenever Whitley Bay's goalkeeper got injured or sent off they would get absolutely mullered, but whenever Derby lost their keeper they just carried on attacking like mad men and almost always still won.

The one time I remember Newcastle having their 'keeper injured was in a Champions League QF second leg away to Whitley Bay. Leading 1-2 after losing the home leg 0-1, Newcastle's 'keeper got stretchered off, a winger went in goal and, unsurprisingly against the best attacking midfield in the world, they went in 5-2 down at half time. God alone knows how they managed to fight back to win 5-6 by full time!! And yes, I know I was managing both teams, but I was really wanting Whitley Bay to win so I can't really be accused of throwing the result.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jimbokav1971:

Only when I am playing in Europe and am allowed 7 subs.

I have played this way since CM03/04. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

whs. And I will do the same in the EPL if I evr bother to get 8.02..

I didn't because I always wanted to have outfield positions covered in my 5 subs. It's so rare that a keeper gets injured that I never thought it's worth it. However, now you can have seven subs in the prem, I do.

I always have a keeper on the bench.

In one match my first keeper got injured, my second was then sent off, and the outfield player I put in goal then also got injured. I was not too impressed as you can imagine. Incidentally I lost that game.

as some of the other posters, i always take a sub keeper. only time i don't is with 3 subs on the bench (like wales). will definitely have a sub keeper with 5 or 7 on the bench.

Archived