Against signing regens?

Who else in here is against signing regens because it spoils the 'reality' of the game? I'm one of them. I never sign regens but i sometimes bring ones through the youth that are already there and sell them on.

I always make sure i sign youth from the very start(the real ones) so i can have a very long term save with those without having to use a regen. Anyone else the same as me?

Would love to know. :)

I love signing regens, they are players you don't know IRlL and thus have no idea what they are capable of other than a small sheet of abilities. I usually focus solely on regens and other youngsters after my first year, unless I have to fill a first-team gap.

How do regens ruin the reality of it? Do you know the names of 13-17 year olds who will be in a youth academy somewhere next year? Of course not, and that's basically what regens are, players who were playing for obscure clubs the year before who have been scouted as having talent and joined a club's youth squad. Pretty realistic to me.

They also add variability to every game, a few years down the line no game is the same due to the large amount of regens, with many of them starting to become pretty good.

I absolutely love it when you find an amazing regen :D

Don't get me wrong, I will start a 'real' player over a regen every day of the week, but I do love finding/buying a brilliant regen!

Because there not real players? I just don't like signing them.

If there where no newgens in this game then there would be no youth players after a few years.

I only sign newgens.

I'm afraid I don't understand your point at all. The best part of the game for me is uncovering the quality regens as they come through. I find the real players boring as in every save it is always the same ones.

I used to be exactly like the OP, in fact still am a little bit. But I've now started to accept regens a little bit, since I turned regen faces OFF. OP I'd recommend you try that and see if it makes you tolerate regens a little more.

PS. I went 8 seasons without signing a regen in FM08! My longest game in FM09 was only 4 seasons.

I used to be exactly like the OP, in fact still am a little bit. But I've now started to accept regens a little bit, since I turned regen faces OFF. OP I'd recommend you try that and see if it makes you tolerate regens a little more.

PS. I went 8 seasons without signing a regen in FM08! My longest game in FM09 was only 4 seasons.

Whats wrong with newgen faces?

Who else in here is against signing regens because it spoils the 'reality' of the game? I'm one of them. I never sign regens but i sometimes bring ones through the youth that are already there and sell them on.

I always make sure i sign youth from the very start(the real ones) so i can have a very long term save with those without having to use a regen. Anyone else the same as me?

Totally agree with you. I didn't used to mind re-gens, but now I avoid them at every opportunity. I much prefer to find a real promising prospect who I know exists than buy an 18 year old generated wonderkid who has 17 for nearly every technical stat. It's much more satisfying imo to buy and develop a real youngster, and see where you can get him to.

I think re-gens are vastly overrated by the game, mostly because it is easier and more hassle-free to have the best youth in the world as regens rather than real players who might not actually make it IRL.

I think re-gens are vastly overrated by the game, mostly because it is easier and more hassle-free to have the best youth in the world as regens rather than real players who might not actually make it IRL.

Quite the contrary actually. With real youngster you just buy the same players every game because you know they're good.

With regens you actually have to scout and find them. And then they aren't with your team yet.

I love signing regens, they are players you don't know IRlL and thus have no idea what they are capable of other than a small sheet of abilities. I usually focus solely on regens and other youngsters after my first year, unless I have to fill a first-team gap.

How do regens ruin the reality of it? Do you know the names of 13-17 year olds who will be in a youth academy somewhere next year? Of course not, and that's basically what regens are, players who were playing for obscure clubs the year before who have been scouted as having talent and joined a club's youth squad. Pretty realistic to me.

They also add variability to every game, a few years down the line no game is the same due to the large amount of regens, with many of them starting to become pretty good.

I could tell you some 13 and 14 years olds in the Celtic academy and the Wonderkid Barca bought from Turkey. Most of the big clubs will publicise their youngsters int he youth academies.

Maybe regens appear too early in the game ? Or too many start off way too good for their age ? Basically it makes no sense pursuing some of the real life youngsters in the game, because with some good scouting in obscure nations, you can easily find regens who will far surpass them.

Quite the contrary actually. With real youngster you just buy the same players every game because you know they're good.

With regens you actually have to scout and find them. And then they aren't with your team yet.

I suppose that's true for a lot of players, but I have many saves on the go at the same time, each focussing on different regions of the world, so I never really come across the same good youth twice and if I do I will only ever sign them again if I have a real affinity for that particular player.

I tend to take a long time with my saves, adding more managers etc, so I don't get too far into the future before the next FM gets released. I think this is probably why I can avoid re-gens, and it not really affect any of my saves.

Isnt this what having scouts at your club is all about

trying to find you the next Messi or Rooney

To me the game would soon become stale if i couldnt have scouts trying to find that wonderkid who is going to save me 20 million in the transfer market

And not every regen fits in with your team and makes it to the top just like real football

Within a couple of years the game world is flooded with 'regens' (Hmmm... I've just called them 'new players' up until now so thank you). I like the mystery of signing totally unknown players based on scout reports/coach reports and actually watching them for myself, just as managers do in real life.

I struggle to understand why anyone would intentionally negate the basic point of the game.

To be honest Regens are what make me addicted to this game

I tell my self im going to stop and than i buy a 16 year old that looks amazing and i tell my self i have to play for another 5 years to see how he turns out

U got to sign regens.. because Van P and Ronaldo aint going to be playing with their Zimmer frames

I fail to see how it spoils the reality. Young players we've never heard of come through all the time in real life. Plus, it'd be entirely unrealistic if after 15-20 years we had no players left in the game because there were no regens!

I tend to buy a mix of players myself, though I like the excitement of bringing an unknown quantity to my team. It made my World cup winning England team in 2026 more interesting, they were all regens apart from a 35-36 year old Jack Rodwell(who made his 130th appearance in the WC final), and a 33-34 year old Jack Wilshere. Both have probably made their last England appearances for me, as it's time to move on with the youth, but I really enjoyed having familiar players in the team. Along with the 8 or so regens in my Liverpool team in the squad too.

To be honest Regens are what make me addicted to this game

I tell my self im going to stop and than i buy a 16 year old that looks amazing and i tell my self i have to play for another 5 years to see how he turns out

U got to sign regens.. because Van P and Ronaldo aint going to be playing with their Zimmer frames

I'm the same mate regens are one of the best things about the game i think.

Since I ditched looking for downloadable shortlists, tried to avoid reading about anyone's CA/PA (never used third party scout things), and completely turned off player pics (that way you can't always tell who's a newgen and who's just someone you've never heard of, at least for the first few seasons) - FM has been given a completely new lease of life for me. Every game is completely different, rather than just the 'must-buys'..

Nothing better than Newgen Day(s) - can set aside a whole hour or two just searching through various countries and clubs U19 squads, deliberately set aside one playing session that i know i won't play any matches, just concentrate on finding 16/17 year old beasts of the future..

Love it.

Since I ditched looking for downloadable shortlists, tried to avoid reading about anyone's CA/PA (never used third party scout things), and completely turned off player pics (that way you can't always tell who's a newgen and who's just someone you've never heard of, at least for the first few seasons) - FM has been given a completely new lease of life for me. Every game is completely different, rather than just the 'must-buys'..

Nothing better than Newgen Day(s) - can set aside a whole hour or two just searching through various countries and clubs U19 squads, deliberately set aside one playing session that i know i won't play any matches, just concentrate on finding 16/17 year old beasts of the future..

Love it.

Maybe try just sending your scouts to those countries and U19/U21 matches. The thrill of finding a future star will be even greater if your scout finds him in an obscure country, instead of you searching by value in club/national squads for 16/17yr olds.

I agree with Craig to be honest becuase signing regens means that you van not share the same experiences as other people as it is all about the luck of the computer

Huh, you know I had no idea you could do this. This should make things a lot more fun.

I think 99% of FM users would agree that newgens are a vital part of our game. Without them FM would be pointless.

I was shocked to read the OP. Finally since FM09 we have quality regens produced on a consistent basis. If that were to change I for one would no longer buy the game.

I agree with Craig to be honest becuase signing regens means that you can not share the same experiences as other people as it is all about the luck of the computer

FM is an individual game, you vs the computer. It's not about sharing the experience with anyone else.

Thats what network games are for, where you each use the same database.

Hardly luck anyway, each game generates quality newgens. It's up to you to find them and manage your squad. FM is more than just signing players too

I love signing regens. It's the best part of the game bringing on youngsters for 20-30 years before I get bored.

I don't see how signing a regen is any different to signing a young player who has most of his stats set as random at the start of the game. Unless of course you are only signing the ones that have been set as the big stars of the future, e.g. a certain young Belguim striker, etc... If you are then that is really boring, and I'm against that.

It's much more difficult finding a great regen then just looking on the GP&GT forum. Well at least it's much more difficult finding them before anyone else poaches them.

Regens are amazing, kids are the future ;)

Think about it, if there were no regens then you couldnt play long long saves and the game would eventually either be full of 35 year olds or just finish!

Learn to love regens mate :)

What's the point of playing lots of games but simply signing the same old players?

When the whole world becomes nearly-full of regens (always nice to have real players hanging around in their high-30s still banging in goals), that's when it's most fun.

Archived