Some advice please: How do you beat the 10.2 'superkeepers'?

DP

Just some general advice on this - and I don't feel I have to ask for general tactical advice often - but it is clear to see that goalkeepers are way too effective on 10.2 and not just with one on ones - they save too much.

Most games either my goalkeeper or the opposition makes too many world class saves and on occassions I can't figure how to break it down. Obviously the AI have the same issue with me at times.

So what's the best way to counter this? It's ruining the fun at the moment.

I don't want to get into a debate with people that say it's not happening - as an experienced FM player I can see there are problems with my own eyes.

Read Puevlo's other posts and you have your answer. ;)

As for beating keepers, I think playing with 3 up front can help, particularly if there's the freedom for them to get into the box and/or for one (or your wingers) to run to the byline or at the goalie and then put the ball across to the striker to get on the end of. With the extra man already up there (ie. perhaps playing 4-3-3 over 4-4-2 or 4-5-1) then there's a greater chance it seems of being able to create chances that the GK has little hope of reaching, or of chances falling to players in the best possible position. Making sense? :o

Read Puevlo's other posts and you have your answer. ;)

As for beating keepers, I think playing with 3 up front can help, particularly if there's the freedom for them to get into the box and/or for one (or your wingers) to run to the byline or at the goalie and then put the ball across to the striker to get on the end of. With the extra man already up there (ie. perhaps playing 4-3-3 over 4-4-2 or 4-5-1) then there's a greater chance it seems of being able to create chances that the GK has little hope of reaching, or of chances falling to players in the best possible position. Making sense? :o

I know what you're saying - trying to create the best chances as they seem to be crosses at the moment.

Am not liking the ME at the moment though.

I have had much sucess with a 4-1-4-1, it seems to lead to 2-0 and 1-0 wins depending on the opp strength. My striker is fast and a decent finisher and tends to do well in the 1v1 setting.

My keeper is the super keeper, he seems good at keeping good teams out of my net!

There are no superkeepers. The chances you see are not actually good chances because in real life strikers score 3% of their shots. Or, wait a minute... that wasn't it... no, I remembered: The chances you see are an optical illusions because defenders seem to be further away than they actually are so they have your striker well marked. Oh no just a sec, that wasn't it either... got it: Why do you expect that your strikers should score in a one-on-one situation? Didn't you know that they have to solve a crosswords and a riddle first, then defeat a scary monster and finally perform at least three card tricks before they can shoot the ball? All the keeper has to do is block the ball. So don't you think you are creating any good chances there...

I dunno. I was playing a 4-4-2, and it was working out great. I had Aguero, Forlan, and Oscar Cardozo to rotate through. Once the keepers got a little bit better (;)) I switched to a 4-3-3. All three of those players have 18+ in finishing, and they make absolutely gorgeous passes to each other! Aguero runs around everywhere, Cardozo just...is a beast, then Forlan usually gets the majority of the shots. He may be old on my save at 32, but he misses nearly every really really good chance, as do the other two. They make so many of them a match, the keepers are really starting to frustrate me.

These 10.2 keepers are stubborn, that's for sure. I used to outscore other clubs by 20 goals a season. Now I'm behind the two leading goalscoring clubs by 10, in February. It's just a matter of figuring out how the ME works best, as it pretty much always has been.

You mean superstriker!

even those strugle.. its all down to luck imo, there are games where i make 20 strikes.. and score 5 goals.. there are where i make 35 and score 13 , there are where i make 30 and only goal is from penalty or corner,

and there are loads of where i make 30~and i dont score >_<

( and yes im highest scoring team in both of my saves )

its not keepers problem, its mostly strikers not being able to hit anywhere else than right in the keeper..

you could try playing in lower league.. game is totally different... better in a way.. its lovely when my 3mln striker scores twice more than my 30 mln one, while being in best team in the world.. but oh well..

Truly is amazing how some people still state that their is no problem with converting CCCs

SI have already stated that they made it harder to score from CCCs because they programmed the game wrong in to creating to many CCCs.

Yet people still say that their is no superkeeper and that it is realistic

I really dont wanna say fanboy but come on

Truly is amazing how some people still state that their is no problem with converting CCCs

SI have already stated that they made it harder to score from CCCs because they programmed the game wrong in to creating to many CCCs.

Yet people still say that their is no superkeeper and that it is realistic

I really dont wanna say fanboy but come on

Learn to read, that isnt what they said.

They said at CERTAIN 1 on 1's the keeper had a reach advantage or something.

Stop making up dribble u mess.

This must be a wind up???

:D

Please tell me the great game hasn't come to this??

Well, it worked a scream in CM01/02. :D Doubt that's still the case though.

You might want to read this thread, but since it's 4 pages long, I'll just give a short summary:

Make sure your midfielders don't overly often try to play through balls through the centre onto your striker. Instead, try to have your forward cut inside from the wings, so that they move onto the goal at an angle. Which makes Hershie's suggestion of playing with a forward line of 3 a very good idea.

I'm playing a 4-1-1-3-1 formation and it seems to work pretty well. I set 2 of the Att Mids as Inside Forward, and most of the time, if the striker misses one, there is the inside forward who scores. It is true that the strikers are missing a lot, but the problem is the number of CCC's IMO.

I have been dominant so far with Liverpool in my save (4xEPL, 1xECL and a bunch of cups), Torres hasn't been ludicrous for me as he has for others (i've seen 71 in a season for others) but he is a reliable striker and Nemeth has developed into a class striker as well. This season though, as they both like the ball at their feet, they have both gone through barren spells. Form seems to be a big factor (although that could just be coincidence) but the keepers are definitely off balance, the number of double saves is just ridiculous and sometimes the keeper saves shots which would have been blatantly beyond the reach of humans IRL. I try to play a smooth passing game and there's nothing more rewarding than seeing a move well finished, but it's not happening.

At the moment it feels more likely to score with a long shot than by getting the ball to my striker, with Pepper, Gerrard, Veloso, Vargas and Aquilani my team is getting by, but this does need to be addressed in the next patch.

I put the team on holiday for two games as an experiment (use same tactics checked), the scores? 3-0 and 3-1. the scorers? Torres (3) and Torres (2), Nemeth (1). Ouch, must be the ME, or maybe it's just me :p.

For the record I don't know what CCC is an acronym for.

I'm playing a 4-1-1-3-1 formation and it seems to work pretty well. I set 2 of the Att Mids as Inside Forward, and most of the time, if the striker misses one, there is the inside forward who scores. It is true that the strikers are missing a lot, but the problem is the number of CCC's IMO.

Totally off-topic, but I use the same formation in my Real Madrid save. :D

Okay, simply put: the keepers only APPEAR "super" on ONE particular type of chance. That's the clear-cut chances where the ST is one-v-one with the keeper, but is under pressure from an opposing player.

And when I say "pressure" this can come in many forms - a defender chasing the striker, a defender coming in at the side, the GK closing the distance quickly (as a former amateur keeper, I know 100% it's easier to stop a decent striker's shot from 5 yards then it is from 10), a bad first touch, coming head-on to the keeper (don't know why), or running onto the ball at pace in a race with the keeper... and so on. It's well-documented.

So that's it. There is no "super-keeper" bug, otherwise my players would never score headers, curlers or one-v-ones from a decent angle. If these are the only chances you are creating then you are doing something wrong. The keeper isn't the bug, it's the number of these type of chances being created.

Yes, in real life far, far more would be scored given these situations, can't deny it, won't defend it, it's a flaw in the ME, but it's a minor one. If you were to beat the keeper in all or even a realistic amount of these situations each game would finish 7-4 or 10-9, so the answer is simply:

Ignore all of these type of chances and concentrate on creating others.

Super keepers are not the problem it is pathetic strikers.

To the guy with Wayne Rooney and 50+ goals....yes you can score that isn't the issue it is the fact that they miss just as many easy chances as they score from. Strikers get too many good chances so to make sure they don't score 100 goals a year they just miss countless amounts of sitters. In the end the stats and the game simulation come out looking perfect but if you watch the game it is frusterating sometimes because you are continuously watching your star players miss easy chances and sometimes at very important times.

As I have found many times it isn't the keepers which are super its the striker (no matter who) who were shocking or just plain stupid. We get punished for creating one on ones straight on to the keeper, therefore we need some kind of advice on how to create chances at an angle rather than these straight on chances. And we shouldn't have to change our formation in order to create these 'scoreable' chances. And the real problem is that these sort of chances shouldn't come long so often during a game. But is that our fault, so we should stop creating chances in fear of creating these 'unscoreable' chances. Answer: No we shouldn't have to be it seems to be the only way.

Okay, simply put: the keepers only APPEAR "super" on ONE particular type of chance. That's the clear-cut chances where the ST is one-v-one with the keeper, but is under pressure from an opposing player.

And when I say "pressure" this can come in many forms - a defender chasing the striker, a defender coming in at the side, the GK closing the distance quickly (as a former amateur keeper, I know 100% it's easier to stop a decent striker's shot from 5 yards then it is from 10), a bad first touch, coming head-on to the keeper (don't know why), or running onto the ball at pace in a race with the keeper... and so on. It's well-documented.

So that's it. There is no "super-keeper" bug, otherwise my players would never score headers, curlers or one-v-ones from a decent angle. If these are the only chances you are creating then you are doing something wrong. The keeper isn't the bug, it's the number of these type of chances being created.

Yes, in real life far, far more would be scored given these situations, can't deny it, won't defend it, it's a flaw in the ME, but it's a minor one. If you were to beat the keeper in all or even a realistic amount of these situations each game would finish 7-4 or 10-9, so the answer is simply:

Ignore all of these type of chances and concentrate on creating others.

My tactics rely on a speedy striker latching onto through balls from a creative midfielder. Why should I be forced to change this because the match engine doesn't allow you to score these chances. If i created say 8-10 of these a game, but no other chances should I therefore not score because my team is creating Clear Cut Chances of a type that the match engine doesn't like. Why should I change my tactics when clearly by looking at the stats of a game and watching the game I SHOULD have scored at least one or two of these chances a game and are playing good football in the process it makes no sense and is obvious to see.

Therefore what I would like is some form of advice in creating the same chances only on an angle in a 4-1-1-2-2. As I don't see why I should have to change my formation to score the chances I am already creating.

This has probably been said but ensure that your striker has high levels of composure as well as good finishing. In my game I have Torres and C.Cole up front. Torres has Finishing 18 / Composure 17 and has scored 25 in 28 while Cole has Finishing 12 / Composure 14 and has 11 in 30 (with most being headers). Of the 2? Keepers regularly save 1o1's with Cole where as Torres rarely misses

When you're one on one directly facing the keeper, the keepers save it or I should really say that the strikers pass the ball into the keepers' arms.

Never have I seen a striker try to chip or round the keeper. So I think it's more of a useless strikers problem than superkeepers.

However, if you're at an angle, your striker nearly always buries it which is strange. They bury the difficult chances but horribly fail the bread and butter chances.

Torres rarely misses

Agreed, Torres is as lethal as in real life! Scored 22 league goals in 21 games in my opening season. Gerrard and Dzeko also finished with 20+ league goals as well, helping my Liverpool side to 97 goals in the Prem. Torres was injured for 4 months as well...

What superkeepers?

For strikers I agree, they do score an OK amount. Still not as many as they should compared to the created chances, but OK.

But for me it's the inside forwards who miss all the stupidly easy chances. In my barca save, Messi gets about 3 shots on goal per game but he only scores like once every 5 matches.

It's fine if the player gets heaps and heaps of chances so that he will score a reasonable amount, but when the position only allows a handful of quality chances, ie, inside forward, then it gets a bit stupid.

Go to the tactic forum and pickup the thread about the 4-1-2-1-2, I used to play a 4-4-2, but despite having lots of chances I was experiencing the "superkeeper" bug, which doesn't really exist, it looks like a poor graphical representation of what's going on. The 1 on 1 you see as CCC, are not that CCC as they look, I noticed that using the 4-1-2-1-2 creates also 1 on 1, but the striker is not running perfectly in the axis of the pitch which results in the striker hitting it right on the keeper and making us believe there's a superkeeper in front, the striker now runs slightly either on the left or the right of the pitch axis, and the 1 on 1 are more successful.

My tactics rely on a speedy striker latching onto through balls from a creative midfielder. Why should I be forced to change this because the match engine doesn't allow you to score these chances. If i created say 8-10 of these a game, but no other chances should I therefore not score because my team is creating Clear Cut Chances of a type that the match engine doesn't like. Why should I change my tactics when clearly by looking at the stats of a game and watching the game I SHOULD have scored at least one or two of these chances a game and are playing good football in the process it makes no sense and is obvious to see.

Your creating those chances because of the poor marking of the CBs in the match engine not through good play. I've been playing in the Brazilian third division and can't afford fast strikers, or good creative midfielders, so I have to work the ball around a lot and run in the channels, etc... rather then relying on through balls creating one on ones. So far I haven't experienced a superkeeper, beyond playing a First Division team who quite reasonably destroyed me fairly easily.

:mad:

Okay! Superkeepers are real! I had 11 clear cut chances and 19 shots on target against Chelsea. Cech saved every single one of them! Chelsea beat me 1-0 and they only had 1 clear cut chance and 2 shots total!

Superkeepers is really disrespectful!:thdn:

Keepers have deffo had some sort of fix in the latest patch, anyone who says otherwise is a overly biased S.I fanboi.

I have managed to find a way around it, kinda....I score goals but some games i have 7 one on ones and miss them all ( this is with players like Balotelli, van Persie etc ) as my strikers just run right at the keeper until they have no room to shoot and hit it against the 'superkeeper'

Keepers have deffo had some sort of fix in the latest patch, anyone who says otherwise is a overly biased S.I fanboi.

I have managed to find a way around it, kinda....I score goals but some games i have 7 one on ones and miss them all ( this is with players like Balotelli, van Persie etc ) as my strikers just run right at the keeper until they have no room to shoot and hit it against the 'superkeeper'

Fail to see the "way around" superkeepers in this post. :confused:

Fail to see the "way around" superkeepers in this post. :confused:

I fail to see where i said i was offering the solution in the post.

I played 4-1-2-2-1 ( pretty much how Arsenal play in real life ) and it worked wonders, but i found that playing a lone striker simply didn't work for me after the 10.2 update.

I now play 4-1-2-1-2 ( Chelsea style ) with van Persie, Balotelli and Arshavin darting around behind them and its working quite well, but it seems to be doing so because of the number of chances i can create with it, feels more like the game allows me to get some goals if i can get 6 or 7 CCC in a game, then others its superkeeper all over again.

You will still find that any striker will run right at the keeper when 1v1 still, but you will get the odd goal :)

Edit: I should add that in the previous patch i only had a few CCC a game, but managed to convert a high % of them, now even with my new tactic which gets at least 5 a game i can struggle to convert 1 of them.

Archived