Will my team be able to pass their way to world domination?

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice, im really waiting for the roles part. I fully go with the lower tempo and shorter passing way of seeing the total football the way we met it through guardiola.  I play almost the same with only pass into space added. Even went with much shorter and much lower and gone very good.

I have one question that's not exactly for your tactic or for you to answer but whats wrong with the inverted lust? If SI comes up with an inverted GK everybody will use him? I dont want to use that roles but can it be a possession 433 fully working tactic without that roles? The mentality issue you mention might be the missing part of what i look for.

Also funny is the whole trend with the possession with "intent"! Of course there is intent and, as you say ,you want to attack, but the same was with Sassuollo i played against who had 23% and they used that to attack 5 times, make 2 shots and score 1 goal. The same goes for RL Liverpool who doesnt care about having the ball a lot but winning the ball back quickly high up and burst with three passes.  There are only two ways of possession, defend and attack. Its really funny reading all of this, cause its as like we re trying to be academics here. :D  :D  :D 

13 hours ago, Djuicer said:

This was originally my plan, to use one of each on either side, but there was a huge but here - the inside forward could not paired with the rest of the tactical setup get a mentality lower than very attacking and with the trequartista already being at that mentality I decided against that role. So now the only role left is the inverted winger.

And this is why it's important to look as player's mentality and not just team mentality. I've achieved great success when my IW's have "get into opposition area" trait. They will become goalscorers, but don't tend to be as "selfish" as Inside Forwards.

Alternatively, if you use the Overlap/Underlap/Focus down the flanks instructions, that will decrease the IFs mentality which will help increasing compactness.

Excellent thread.

13 hours ago, DimitrisLar said:

Nice, im really waiting for the roles part. I fully go with the lower tempo and shorter passing way of seeing the total football the way we met it through guardiola.  I play almost the same with only pass into space added. Even went with much shorter and much lower and gone very good.

I have one question that's not exactly for your tactic or for you to answer but whats wrong with the inverted lust? If SI comes up with an inverted GK everybody will use him? I dont want to use that roles but can it be a possession 433 fully working tactic without that roles? The mentality issue you mention might be the missing part of what i look for.

Also funny is the whole trend with the possession with "intent"! Of course there is intent and, as you say ,you want to attack, but the same was with Sassuollo i played against who had 23% and they used that to attack 5 times, make 2 shots and score 1 goal. The same goes for RL Liverpool who doesnt care about having the ball a lot but winning the ball back quickly high up and burst with three passes.  There are only two ways of possession, defend and attack. Its really funny reading all of this, cause its as like we re trying to be academics here. :D  :D  :D 

Pass into space is something I personally like but Im not sure its fitting for this purpose. Also, my possession numbers won't be acceptable with any more aggressive TIs.

I can try answer this though. Its a mix between flavour of the month, relatively new roles (this leading to them possibly being OP in the ME?) and probably Pep Guardiola. He used versions of the inverted players in all of his three clubs (Abidal, Lahm/Alaba and Zinchenko/Delph). When you think of it, it does make sense for JDP, if someone leaves a field of the pitch, you will try to fill that with an other player. Pep always want two players in every lateral zone. (which are those) in vertical lines. 

JG4ETTo.jpg

Think thats also a victim of flavour of the month, and for someone like me (not native talker, only once been to UK) it might just be a lack of better words for it (but you are kind of right, Im attending university at this time :p). I would still say you miss one and possibly the most important aspect. The one inbetween defense and attack. The transition, Klopp has based his whole career around mastering this. 

12 hours ago, crusadertsar said:

Awesome thread! Can't wait to read more mate. You are making it a hard act to follow for my next Total Football update :lol: Will need to step up my game 

Crumbling under the pressure are ya mate? :) Haha just kidding, you are far more accomplished at this than Im. Your total football saga was an inspiration for this.

3 hours ago, MadOnion said:

And this is why it's important to look as player's mentality and not just team mentality. I've achieved great success when my IW's have "get into opposition area" trait. They will become goalscorers, but don't tend to be as "selfish" as Inside Forwards.

Alternatively, if you use the Overlap/Underlap/Focus down the flanks instructions, that will decrease the IFs mentality which will help increasing compactness.

Excellent thread.

This! :applause:
Sterling for example has that trait. Very powerful combined with the right player.

Spoiler

U/Olap was considered but the full backs was getting attacking and that was a notch to much for my liking.

Edited by Djuicer

Brillant. And moving from theory to fm is the real challenge. I wish you success in your ambitious project.

The JDP is for me a little bit ambivalence. It requires a lot of creativity and at the same time a lot of discipline. 

Juanma Lillo will be proud to see your desire to reproduce JDP in a game. :)

8 minutes ago, coach vahid said:

Brillant. And moving from theory to fm is the real challenge. I wish you success in your ambitious project.

The JDP is for me a little bit ambivalence. It requires a lot of creativity and at the same time a lot of discipline. 

Juanma Lillo will be proud to see your desire to reproduce JDP in a game. :)

Thank you!

Yes, the things I think is the hardest to reproduce are the following. 

1 Players can not take turns at being offesive/holding. You have to choose one or the other. Which  reduces fluidity greatly. IRL the LB for example can attack and the RB hold his position at one time and the next time the relation is the opposite.

2 Roles, IRL a player can have one job during defensive play, another during transitions and a third when you are attacking. In the game you can only pick one.

A Solution might be to not only have three kind of TIs (possession, out of possesion and transition). But three whole fields, one with possession, one for transitions and the latest wo the ball. (I think they had this in like oold CM versions?)

This is the third part of this series. First of all, I will try to give an explanation to some terms. First and most important the half space, what is it really? It is quite similar to the channels, but running into the channels is relative, it's always between a central defender and a full back. The half space is not relative, it's a fixed position. An important key aspect of JDP is to always keep two players in every vertical zone (wing, halfspace, centre, halfspace and wing).
JG4ETTo.jpg

According to https://www.scisports.com/the-half-spaces/
The halfspace is defined like this “The centre zone is closest to the goal and you can pass in every direction (left, right, forward, backward and four diagonals). However, this zone is also often the most crowded. The wing is usually less crowded, but has the disadvantage of the sideline, which allows players from passing to only half of the directions (forward, backward, left or right and two diagonals). When a player has the ball in the half space, he can still pass in every directon, similar to the centre, but he has the advantage of having more space than in the centre. It also has the added benefit of facing the goal diagonally instead of vertically, meaning that the player does not have to face away from the goal”.

Now lets move on to the midfield, I created this thread a while ago. It brought many thoughts and ideas about how a midfield can work, a lot of users chipped in great intel. I decided that my preferred midfield would include three different roles. Loosely based on some early to mid 2000 midfield trios, but also quite close to the one Manchester City uses today (Fernandinho, De Bruyne, D. Silva). The parts I want my midfield to have is a destroyer, a passer and a runner or if you will, a holding midfielder, a playmaker and a dribbler. Additionally to follow some requirements of the JDP the midfield must help the front three to occupy the half spaces.

First out from the team will be the right central midfielder. A role that all Pep Guardiola's team have used, the playmaker or “the main conductor”. The player responsible for linking together different parts of the team. I also wanted this player to be able to follow the play and take up good positions at all times. This leaves me with only one role really because the deeplying playmaker is too static, the advanced playmaker can do all this but is less involved in general play. So my first midfielder is the Roaming playmaker, a demanding role but with the right player it can and will be dominating matches. Regarding mentality the player will get a positive mentality. Which I think is great for the purposes and intentions this team has. The role comes with two preset instructions (roam from position and take more risk), I more than doubled those when I added three more PIs, moves into channels, run wide with the ball and more direct passing. With those additions I intended to get the RPM to play as close as possible to a mezzala. I have decided to call this role the roaming-mezzala-maker (I will keep RPM as the shortname). A secondary effect I hope this will have is that the RPM will help overloading the half spaces.
bIoyO5g.jpg

Roaming Playmaker Pros and Cons.
Pro’s
*Versatile playmaker
*Defends and attacks
*Roams around the pitch looking for space
*Likes to hit key-passes

Con's:
*Physically very demanding role.
*Due to the roaming he might get caught out of position at times.
*As the main conductor, the AI might mark him out of games.

The role who plays side to side with the playmaker/passer is the runner/dribbler. Popularly called the needle player, or in sweden the it-term is pocket player. This player has to be agile, a good dribbler and relatively fast. A drive to pick up good positions in and around the half space will also be important.I also want this player to be able to pick a pass and to chip in the additional goal. Regarding duty I would like this player to have an attacking one, but that will give him a very attacking mentality and I think the trequartista is the only free-loader the team can carry. Otherwise my whole pressing system probably would fall apart. So the duty can at most be a supportive one, and a defensive one will not be able to do those things often and with enough risk. At this point there have been zero roles excluded (but some duties A/D). But I suppose the ball winning midfielder nor the playmakers (if I want the RPM to truly be the “main conductor) will be getting the nod for this. The carrilero is probably not adventurous enough either. So this leaves us with the central midfielder, the box to box and the mezzala. The central midfielder support has zero presets which can be good, but not when you know what the player is supposed to do, box to box midfielder has roam which is great but the best of them all, the half space merchant, the “inside winger”, will be used. This is the mezzala and that will be my choice for this role. I added no PIs.
WdeE4CU.jpg

Mezzala pros and cons:
Pro’s
*Halfspace merchant - takes up good advanced positions.
*Defends high up the pitch.
*Creative.
*Positive mentality.

Con’s
*Due to aggressive positioning it might make us conceivable for counters.
*Defending high might add to this.
*Is there actually a need for more creative + positive players?

And lastly the holding player, or the destroyer. Some might call him the water carrier. The (defensive) running the other two does not do, this guy will have to do. So what does this mean? I want the player to be positionally aware, a good tackler and if he can play some expansive passes that will be a bonus, helping the RPM link defense and midfield will be a duty for this player. The player will be fielded in the centre of the DM strata. I do not want this player to be a playmaker which excludes the deeplying playmaker, RPM and the regista. Secondly I do not want this player to be a runner (attacking wise). This removes the defensive midfielder with support and the segundo volante is not an option in the central zone. Now there are three roles standing, the anchorman, the halfback and defensive midfielder defend. The anchor will pass with less risk, which means he will not play expansive passes. The halfback will drop too deep. Now there is only the defensive midfielder defend that is not excluded. No PIs were added.
54ilfHq.jpg

Defensive midfielder pros and cons:
Pro’s
*Holds position, important when most others have more expansive roles.
*Flexible role, not so many hard-coded behaviours.
*Balanced mentality, will not be too cautious.
*Does not dribble, speeds up the tempo.

Con’s
*Holds position, won’t interchange positions and combine with fluidity as others. 
*Will not help out the attack much.
*Pressing, will the player put in pressure soon enough? (due to lower mentality and more).

So this is the midfield trio:
XYfXlQN.jpg?1

That leaves us with this at this point:
SoYAzom.jpg?1

Player profiles, I have quite a lot of gifted midfielders that actually can play all of the roles. I will here show six with different unique selling points (might be due to attributes or PPMs). For starters, Rodrigo Betancour. Extremely well rounded, jack of all trades. Weaknesses you might say? No there is none. Model Citizen with 15 determination, 3 attributes under 12 (corners, long throws and penalties). Average for his mentals are 15, the same for the physicals.
nmEDMMS.jpg

Second man out, Dominik Szoboszlai. Fast, good vision, passing and first touch. Has great PPM for the MEZ role, but also decent for the RPM slot. Can also play in the DM slot versus weaker teams. The personality here is not the greatest but at 24yo it can still increase.
za0hz1U.jpg

Lewis Cook is a very talented playmaker. Also capable of playing all midfield positions. The PPM area is a bit clotted for my taste but at least they are all good for our style (more or less). Stand out attributes are balance, vision and the technical ones. Anticipation, teamwork and off the ball are all top standard. Resolute personality is also acceptable. Its a bit of a mystery that this man has only been called to the national team 40 times. But the competition for places is enormous. Mason Mount, James Garner and the former Manchester City profile Phil Foden who left for Barcelona bringing the club £119M (this was not my work).
VTeH47U.jpg

The fourth we will look closer at is Neymar. He does not play in the DM slot. His attributes are great versus weaker teams but he seldom starts versus top teams. Against the weaker teams he plays a lot and they always have problems containing his 20 flair and technique. The 18 first touch and dribbling aint bad either. The PPMs I have actually cut out because they are terrible! Neymar being a perfectionist is great too. The salary might be high, but PSG let me have him for free.
rXyoSmJ.jpg

Rodri is the most defensively balanced midfielder of this lot, only playing in the two more advanced positions if there is a crisis. Stand out abilities are positioning, decisions, antipacition and concentration. The PPMs are good for our style and his personality is professional with 13 determination. Rodri is also at times fielded in the heart of the defense.
VyUqqT9.jpg

I saved the player I like the most for last. Sebastian Savoldi, who I bought for Fulham. Developed him into a beast only to see my current employer meet his release clause. For those interested this is what I bought (the second player profile in that post). Today he is a complete player, even though he could use more flair and aggression. I tend to use him in the DM slot but he can offer something in the other roles too. Strengths are definitely the mentals but he also has an impressive physique. The resolute personality is acceptable and I'm a big fan of his PPMs (I have developed them). He was a big reason for me going to City (I had an offer from PSG too).
OotHc6u.jpg

Additional players used here are newgen Galeano and previously showed Bernardo Silva. Some players from the reserves (U23) also get a game at times.

Mentalities is something I will keep track of during this journey, so Far there is a striker with Very Attacking mentality and two wide men with positive mentalities. The three additions to this are two central midfielders with positive and a defensive midfielder with balanced.

Very Attacking (Treq).

Positive (IWFs) - Positive (IWs)

Positive (MEZs) - Positive (RPM)
Balanced (DMd)

or easier to grip:

VA

POS - POS

POS - POS
BAL

Later the back four and the goalkeeper will be covered.

Edited by Djuicer

15 minutes ago, Djuicer said:

Mentalities is something I will keep track of during this journey, so Far there is a striker with Very Attacking mentality and two wide men with positive mentalities. The three additions to this are two central midfielders with positive and a defensive midfielder with balanced.

Very Attacking (Treq).

Positive (IWFs) - Positive (IWs)

Positive (MEZs) - Positive (RPM)
Balanced (DMd)

or easier to grip:

VA

POS - POS

POS - POS
BAL

Later the back four and the goalkeeper will be covered.

great post mate and very helpfull this mentality explaining is. Many people, like me, dont even see that particular description in the role. My teams are playing so much clear in their positioning and interchanching (?) now. Not a native speaker too. Thanks a lot!

16 minutes ago, DimitrisLar said:

great post mate and very helpfull this mentality explaining is. Many people, like me, dont even see that particular description in the role. My teams are playing so much clear in their positioning and interchanching (?) now. Not a native speaker too. Thanks a lot!

I can strongly recomend Tad 20. Its my favourite skin of this version (20). If you would like to be able to see the mentality. Im also a fan of the rensi skin (not sure this has the mentality part though).  Have you found better balance between mentalitys? example if both players on a flank are close mentality wise the will also combine more/better.

AFAIK the things affecting individual mentality is first team mentality, then duty, strata and last overlap/underlap and focus of the play. The individual mentality really makes more diffrence than the team mentality and with correct roles you can use almost any mentality to create which ever playing style you prefer.

Edited by Djuicer

3 hours ago, Djuicer said:

I can strongly recomend Tad 20. Its my favourite skin of this version (20). If you would like to be able to see the mentality. Im also a fan of the rensi skin (not sure this has the mentality part though). 

I have tried a lot of skins for this version, but this is my fav (tad 20). Im also a fan of work the space’s version of tcs skin. @crusadertsar

Edited by Djuicer

i tried to use your example of one very attacking mentality player, the Mez(a), surrounded by positive mentality roles. I use a f9 so there is a balanced mentality in the mix. Also had one wb in attacking duty and mentality. It's rolling m8. I suppose this is what they call balance most of the people here, or it includes that thing too. 

Do you get one two's in front of the box and horizontal passes in the box? I get my WB(a) in great positions to do it but with WBIB i can't make full use of it. Of course maybe the roles surrounding him might influence his decisions, not that he's great at decision making but it seems the natural to cross.

14 hours ago, MadOnion said:

I had a player like this actually who was shocking as an Inside Forward but with this trait was a completely different player played as an Inverted Winger. Scorer and creator. I didn't realise at first until I watched more closely and could see how influential he was within the bigger picture of things. He linked well with my False 9 in that system. He did have excellent off the ball ratings too which helped I think.

Really enjoyed this thread. I like to create overloads so your IWF role really interests me. What training schedules do you use for both senior and youth squads. And how do you develop your youth players to implement this style of play?

10 hours ago, DimitrisLar said:

i tried to use your example of one very attacking mentality player, the Mez(a), surrounded by positive mentality roles. I use a f9 so there is a balanced mentality in the mix. Also had one wb in attacking duty and mentality. It's rolling m8. I suppose this is what they call balance most of the people here, or it includes that thing too. 

Do you get one two's in front of the box and horizontal passes in the box? I get my WB(a) in great positions to do it but with WBIB i can't make full use of it. Of course maybe the roles surrounding him might influence his decisions, not that he's great at decision making but it seems the natural to cross.

Balance is they key to any sucessfull setup, and that often icludes some extremes (VD, D, C, BAL, P, A, VA) but atleast I try to keep most players near the ubold mentalitys.

I have a goal that I shall try to show, must learn to create a gif and find some time. Actually this goal made me feel like, yes Im done. I won. JDP complete. (Or something like that ;)). My full backs often take on opposition and passes inside the area. I  suppose one being Alphonse Davies dosen't hurt.

1 hour ago, stuartlaw11 said:

Really enjoyed this thread. I like to create overloads so your IWF role really interests me. What training schedules do you use for both senior and youth squads. And how do you develop your youth players to implement this style of play?

It makes me happy that you liked it.  The IWF and IW are great for overloads.  I have recently taken control of the club and the training is something Im not that good at, anyhow i have started creating some schedules which will be discussed later. The inspiration for this was Mikaelinhos post regarding training. The goal is to get well rounded players in the techincal and mental area. Physique is a bonus. PPMs that fits the roles I use. Common ones are get further forward. Plays one-twos and comes deep to collect ball. Its also important that the PPMs matches the style Im trying to create.

58 minutes ago, Justified said:

KUTGW Djuicer. Enjoying your threads and a welcome addition to the forums :thup:

:hammer:

Edited by Djuicer

3 hours ago, Robson 07 said:

Really nice write up.  I enjoyed reading through that, good stuff.

2 hours ago, Amazingortega said:

Really nice thread thanks for sharing 

Thank you both!

I made a darn gif! and got it to work, yea the "production" will need some work but its something. This is a great goal IMO (not the one I talked about earlier though). Op. Team? current champions Liverpool.

40c0167dc998cf4c9b773a465311ff51.gif

Edited by Djuicer

In the spirit of @DimitrisLars post I will add some more. I know some are old but the concepts at large is still valid.

No pics left, still fantastic.

A mad tactic that seems to work. That squad though..

The most current of those threads. All concepts (?) are still possible to do.

Edited by Djuicer

2 minutes ago, coach vahid said:

(Do you make your choice for the GK and the back four?)

Yes, @herne79s work is always good.

the back four and gk part is a wip. There is a lot on my plate at this time but I have completed the roles part. There is just parts regarding the players and maybe some concepts I need to finish. Hopefully It will be completed before monday.

18 hours ago, sniper234 said:

Why Trequartista and not False Nine?

17 hours ago, Clifton said:

The explanation in the OP is that he wanted an attack duty and that is not available with a False Nine.

Clifton is correct :brock:

But I do use two tactics and will cover the other one (not as in depth) later. It is my awayt actic (or underdog) and it uses the false nine.

On 30/04/2020 at 11:03, Djuicer said:

I The inspiration for this was Mikaelinhos post regarding training. The goal is to get well rounded players in the techincal and mental area. Physique is a bonus. PPMs that fits the roles I use. Common ones are get further forward. Plays one-twos and comes deep to collect ball. Its also important that the PPMs matches the style Im trying to create.

Not going to lie that thread was brilliant too, thanks for sharing.

@Djuicer

Nice thread. Great job. I like the in depth explanations and logic behind your choices. I'm a long time Barca fan since 1990 (because of Stoichkov who I know personally) and I generally always play some version of possession football.

I'm also using a lot of Support duty roles with Trequartista at ST in one version and False 9 in another version. I even have a Strikerless version as well. However, I have gone for IF-S roles rather than IWs. I like the more attacking nature of the role. My roles in defense are SK-S, 2 BPDs and 2 CWB-S. It's the roles in midfield where I change often depending on what I want each match and how I want to dominate. It also depends on the formation of the opponents and how I can create the advantage which I can then use. 

My DM roles tend to rotate between DM-D and HB-D. For MCR I use AP-S or DLP-D. At MCL is where I use a lot of different roles - MEZ-S, AP-S, AP-A or CM-A. My general rule is to use at least 1 playmaker and never more than 2 (in midfield). HB-D + DLP-S + AP-S is a combo that really focusses on keeping the ball and dominating possession in midfield. On the other hand, DM-D + AP-S + CM-A gives me more attacking punch at opening defenses. 

As for TIs, pretty similar to yours with a few exceptions. I use much shorter passing with normal tempo. If needed I add Overlaps. In transition, I use Hold Shape but I remove it if I need a goal. And distribution is to CBs. 

6 hours ago, yonko said:

@Djuicer

Nice thread. Great job. I like the in depth explanations and logic behind your choices. I'm a long time Barca fan since 1990 (because of Stoichkov who I know personally) and I generally always play some version of possession football.

I'm also using a lot of Support duty roles with Trequartista at ST in one version and False 9 in another version. I even have a Strikerless version as well. However, I have gone for IF-S roles rather than IWs. I like the more attacking nature of the role. My roles in defense are SK-S, 2 BPDs and 2 CWB-S. It's the roles in midfield where I change often depending on what I want each match and how I want to dominate. It also depends on the formation of the opponents and how I can create the advantage which I can then use. 

My DM roles tend to rotate between DM-D and HB-D. For MCR I use AP-S or DLP-D. At MCL is where I use a lot of different roles - MEZ-S, AP-S, AP-A or CM-A. My general rule is to use at least 1 playmaker and never more than 2 (in midfield). HB-D + DLP-S + AP-S is a combo that really focusses on keeping the ball and dominating possession in midfield. On the other hand, DM-D + AP-S + CM-A gives me more attacking punch at opening defenses. 

As for TIs, pretty similar to yours with a few exceptions. I use much shorter passing with normal tempo. If needed I add Overlaps. In transition, I use Hold Shape but I remove it if I need a goal. And distribution is to CBs. 

This is all very close to my setup, guessing they play out very much the same, I would like to have responded  much more comprehensive on this but it will spoil too much of my next post :)

edit: about stoichkov, was he a regular smoker as an active? Impressive being so awesome as a player and still being supposedly not all that serious about nutritioning and such. This might ocf just be roumors..

Edited by Djuicer

6 hours ago, Djuicer said:

This is all very close to my setup, guessing they play out very much the same, I would like to have responded  much more comprehensive on this but it will spoil too much of my next post :)

edit: about stoichkov, was he a regular smoker as an active? Impressive being so awesome as a player and still being supposedly not all that serious about nutritioning and such. This might ocf just be roumors..

No, I don't want you to spoil too much of your next post. I'm curious to see more of your set up, including training. 

Stoichkov was not a regular smoker but he did smoke occasionally, especially towards the end of his career. 

14 hours ago, yonko said:

@Djuicer

Enjoyed this post & I like how you change the midfield roles around depending on what you want from a game. It seems the games go to for a possession system is usually DM-D / DLP-S / Mez-S. Typically what you'll find Guardiola / Klopp etc using to start games when you play against them.

With "much shorter passing" on a positive mentality, doesn't it naturally lower the tempo? 

14 hours ago, yonko said:

@Djuicer

Do you find much shorter passing giving you the teamplay you need up front too? I've been trying to make up a young team in Lazio and switched to shorter but much shorter gives me better combinations. Also in your begining set up, do you use max of one attacking duty for the fluidity of the team? 

20 minutes ago, Djuicer said:

Let's move on the the roles now. There are actually just 3 more roles to be presented for the following five positions, both full backs and center backs have the same roles. We start out wide, the full backs must be somewhat responsible hence I will not use attacking duties. This removes FBa, WBa, IWBa and CWBa. Secondly, given the responsibility I want the wide defenders to take, I do not want them to just sit back and protect. Which means no role that only comes with defend duty will be used (no nonsense full back). This also removes all defensive duty alternatives for roles that come with this option. The rules standing now are FBs, WBs, IWBs and CWBs. According to JDP two players ideally shall always remain in all 5 (wing x2, half space x2, centre) vertical zones. This means that the IWBs is out of the question (it will move inside too much). The standard full back will probably be to conservative overall. Both roles still standing are valid. The WBs is a good role for what I want, but I think the complete wing-back is better for JDP. Adding more players who are roaming is something useful trying to play possession football. The CWBs can and will also cover much of the wing by himself, allowing the IWFs and IWs to focus more on scoring and creating chances. I added one PI for each but they are not the same, for the right CWBs I added cross more often. The left CWBs was given the shoot less often PI. The reasoning for this was personal and fits well with each players PPMs and attributes. (This shows the right sided CWBs)
ToQRYQ8.jpg

Complete wing-back Pros and cons:
Pros’:
*Can cover a flank all alone.
*Creative for a player in the back/defence strata.
*Roams from position.
*Positive mentality.

Con’s:
*If the CWBs are covering the whole flank, there will be space for opposition to counter.
*Creativity is good, but that close to the own penalty area. Is it worth it?
*Roaming, Is this really something you want a defender to do?
*The mentality, is it safe enough?

That's the part i was waiting for atm. The question i have is, aren't you affraid of them dribbling and losing possession? it happened to me a lot with WB on Attack Duty and i hate it when that happens. Of course if you have dribblers+tries way out of trouble it might be incredible :) 

3 minutes ago, Justified said:

Great post Djuicer!

Do you feel not selecting Ederson as a SKsu instead of one of the BPDde's could be a good idea? 17 vision for a GK is just insane :D 

That might be worth a shot I suppose. Even though an attacking (mentality) keeper is crazy :D

SKsu 

cd (dias) bpd (stones) should work!

He might top your assists at the end, who knows ;) But in all honesty that's what I would do, gives you a bit of diversity. Hopefully they don't bypass the playmaker in midfield too much.

2 minutes ago, DimitrisLar said:

That's the part i was waiting for atm. The question i have is, aren't you affraid of them dribbling and losing possession? it happened to me a lot with WB on Attack Duty and i hate it when that happens. Of course if you have dribblers+tries way out of trouble it might be incredible :) 

Yeah, sometimes we do. Seldom A.Davies though, James I did consider for another role but I think the upside is still worth more to the JDP style than the risk of conceading some more goals. I have always tried to balance out JDP vs results. What can i sacrifce? When does it stop being close to JDP? When does it just become too much? Hard questions to consider.

4 minutes ago, Justified said:

He might top your assists at the end, who knows ;) But in all honesty that's what I would do, gives you a bit of diversity. Hopefully they don't bypass the playmaker in midfield too much.

I will try this and get back to you! Hopefully I will play some games tomorrow, havent really got any games the latest 5 days.. or well.. one cup game where we crushed Arsenal 4-0.

3 minutes ago, Djuicer said:

Yeah, sometimes we do. Seldom A.Davies though, James I did consider for another role but I think the upside is still worth more to the JDP style than the risk of conceading some more goals. I have always tried to balance out JDP vs results. What can i sacrifce? When does it stop being close to JDP? When does it just become too much? Hard questions to consider.

i think everybody trying to play JDP has been in an extremely nervous period recently considering the posts searching for help here :D  :D 

Do you use a DLP, instead of the RPM or RPM witha player who's got comes deeper to get ball, when facing a better opponent? 

Lovely write up detailing your reasoning behind each decision. 

It's giving me that itch to play the game again as I have fallen out of love with it recently trying to futilely solve the problem of AI teams that play peak tiki taka in their own half racking up at least hundreds of more passes than my team, sometimes 200 or a couple times 300. 

Although I have tried so many things already, your inspiring post has given me new ideas to try, so I'm eagerly waiting for your next post and numbers. 

3 minutes ago, DimitrisLar said:

Do you use a DLP, instead of the RPM or RPM witha player who's got comes deeper to get ball, when facing a better opponent? 

No, but I would use the away version of this tactic. Its very similar with some changed roles, some Ti and Pi. No DLP though. I would probably use Rodri deepest, Savoldi as RPM and Betancour as the MEZ if they are equally as good and us and we are away team but Im probably the strongest team in the div (or atleast as strong as Liverpool). Barcelona and R.madrid might be better than us if you look at squads.

an other question, just to keep it rolling, since you use extremely high LOE but you dont have close down more on your IWs, does extremely urgent pressing compensate for that? Cause the pressing attitude on the description sais that its activated as soon as the enemy goes beyond your LOE.

il y a 58 minutes, Djuicer a dit :

Or the one with the better overview.
VA
POS-POS
POS-POS
BAL
POS-BAL-BAL-POS
BAL

The PI " focus play through the middle" increase the mentality for your DM and your CB. Did you notice that or its an error and its doesn’t makes difference for you ?

2 hours ago, retrodude09 said:

Enjoyed this post & I like how you change the midfield roles around depending on what you want from a game. It seems the games go to for a possession system is usually DM-D / DLP-S / Mez-S. Typically what you'll find Guardiola / Klopp etc using to start games when you play against them.

With "much shorter passing" on a positive mentality, doesn't it naturally lower the tempo? 

For me the best combination for controlling possession is HB-D with DLP-S and AP-S. The MEZ stays wider and that sometimes allows opponents to cut off passes towards him. The AP gravitates towards the ball and together with the DLP they form nice passing combos to transition the ball or circulate possession. It forces the AI to get really aggressive with the tackling and pressure, which in turn results in red card eventually for someone. :D

With Much Shorter Passing the tempo is described as Slightly Lower on Positive Mentality but the notch is in the middle of the line, therefore normal for the mentality. This is what I meant. 

2 hours ago, DimitrisLar said:

Do you find much shorter passing giving you the teamplay you need up front too? I've been trying to make up a young team in Lazio and switched to shorter but much shorter gives me better combinations. Also in your begining set up, do you use max of one attacking duty for the fluidity of the team? 

Yes much shorter passing gives me the play I want. If you look at the individual player instructions, the passing for the front 5 players is not at the lowest settings. You can lower it even more though if you wish.

What do you mean by "the beginning set up"? Generally I tend to have the Trequartista as my Attack duty player. But I can use AP-A or CM-A in midfield on occasion.