• Alonso, Mascherano-Gerrard
    • Fernandinho, KDB-Silva
    • Alonso, Thiago-Lahm
    • De Jong, Van De Beek-Schöne
    • Jorginho, Kante-Kovacic
    • Other, please name in thread
    • Fabinho, Henderson-Wijnaldum
    • Pirlo, Gattuso-Seedorf

Hello, out of interest I wonder wich of those three man midfields would you rank highest? I will only have examples post 2000 and I have tried to only take midfields that was more of single pivots than double pivotes (4-3-3/352 more than 4-2-3-1). I also wonder, which role (in FM) would you say they had/has?

I will line up them like this, deepest player and the dual cms after, than roles in same order (if its blurry/not sure/not cut in stone I will give more roles). I will unless obvious try to stand away from dutys. I will also announce who I think was the main conductor, or the player setting the tempo, even though in quite a lot of cases maybe aint that clear and a lot of players was arguably playmakers but maybe not the main man.

Busquets, Xavi-Iniesta - DM/HB/DLP, RPM/DLP-MEZ/AP/CMA. Playmaker: Xavi

Makelele, Essien-Lampard - Anchor/DLP, BWM/BBM-BBM/CMA. Playmaker: Makelele

Pirlo, Vidal-Pogba - Regista/DLP, BBM/BWM-MEZ/AP/CMA. Playmaker: Pirlo

Casemiro, Modric-Kroos - DM/BWM, RPM/AP/BBM-DLP/AP. Playmaker: Kroos

Jorginho, Allan-Hamsik - Regista/DLP, BBM/BWM-CMA/MEZ/AP.  Playmaker: Jorginho

Alonso, Mascherano-Gerrard - DLP/Regista, BWM-BBM/CMA/AP. Playmaker: Alonso (this was maybe more 4-2-3-1 with a true 10)

Fernandinho, De Bruyne-Silva - DM/DLP/HB, RPM/MEZ/AP-AP/MEZ. Playmaker: De Bruyne

Alonso, Thiago-Lahm - DLP/HB/Regista, AP-CM. Playmaker: Alonso or Thiago

De Jong, Schöne-Van De Beek - Regista/DLP/RPM, DLP/AP-CMA/MEZ. Playmaker: De Jong

Jorginho, Kante-Kovacic - Regista/DLP, BBM/BWM-RPM/MEZ/AP. Playmaker: Jorginho

Well I think that will be enough, have I forgotten/not included any trio feel free to shout out.

Also, - what do you think is the best combination for three midfielders in the game?

Edited by Djuicer

You missed out Fabinho - Henderson - Wijnaldum :herman: :D

Tough question because they're all born out of different playing styles. I guess out of that lot I'd have to say the Barca trio. Busquets working as a pivot, Xavi as a DLP and I thought Iniesta was immense when he played the Mez role

2 minutes ago, Justified said:

You missed out Fabinho - Henderson - Wijnaldum :herman: :D

Tough question because they're all born out of different playing styles. I guess out of that lot I'd have to say the Barca trio. Busquets working as a pivot, Xavi as a DLP and I thought Iniesta was immense when he played the Mez role

I did no such thing, look at the poll mate! ;) 

For sure, Mourinhos Chelsea would not have been sucessfull with the barca trio (or well that trio was so good so it probably would have worked to some extent anyway)

4 minutes ago, Baptista_8 said:

Obvious winner is the Barca 3.

Btw Atletico's current 3 ain't bad at all - Koke - Saul - Thomas Partey

Not sure I would say atletico utilises a midfield trio though? The way I see it is more of a four man midfield with both wingers sittning narrow? Often either  Saul or Koke on a wing?

15 minutes ago, Djuicer said:

Not sure I would say atletico utilises a midfield trio though? The way I see it is more of a four man midfield with both wingers sittning narrow? Often either  Saul or Koke on a wing?

Fair point I've not really watched them a great deal tbf :D

unfortunately there's people here who havent seen post 2008 so i;m afraid this poll will end like others. I saw one poll who got Puyol best defender ever! Also, ehmm.. jorginho-kante-kovasic?

But nevermind, i posted to include some trios. So, and since you included the liverpool 3 who played in a 4231, i pick from other systems too.

Pirlo, Seedorf-Gattuso

Makelele, Zidane-Vieira

Cambiasso-Stankovic, Sneider

Van Bommel, Kroos-Schweinsteiger

Song, Fabregas-Flamini (i know but everyone loved the way arsenal played in 2008 and they played a big part)

Albelda-Baraja,Aimar

Djalminha-Victor-Conceicao or Fran (dont remember..)

Senna, Iniesta-Xavi

Costinha-Maniche, Rui Costa

11 minutes ago, Hilly1979 said:

Think this is in the wrong section..... can it be moved to the general @Experienced Defender

Why exactly do you think this does not belong in the tactical section?

I mean, the OP is talking about role combinations in the midfield, which is a tactical subject. 

Just now, Experienced Defender said:
15 minutes ago, Hilly1979 said:

Think this is in the wrong section..... can it be moved to the general @Experienced Defender

Why exactly do you think this does not belong in the tactical section?

I mean, the OP is talking about role combinations in the midfield, which is a tactical subject. 

I think it's pretty clear Djuicer is asking about tactical roles he could play in a middle three and is drawing inspiration from RL examples.

Also I'm pretty sure ED is on these forums frequently enough to be able to "police" posts himself.

2 hours ago, Djuicer said:

Hello, out of interest I wonder which of those three man midfields would you rank highest?

Busquets, Xavi-Iniesta - DM/HB/DLP, RPM/DLP-MEZ/AP/CMA. Playmaker: Xavi

This midfield.  I'm not sure anything else is even that close.

I think casemiro modric kroos is a bit underrated here probably second to Barcelona trio in my opinion. It is literally the perfect balanced midfield trio that we always talk about in fm. Defend (casemiro)-runner ( modric)-passer (kroos)

1 hour ago, DimitrisLar said:

But nevermind, i posted to include some trios. So, and since you included the liverpool 3 who played in a 4231, i pick from other systems too.

Pirlo, Seedorf-Gattuso

Makelele, Zidane-Vieira

Cambiasso-Stankovic, Sneider

Van Bommel, Kroos-Schweinsteiger

Song, Fabregas-Flamini (i know but everyone loved the way arsenal played in 2008 and they played a big part)

Albelda-Baraja,Aimar

Djalminha-Victor-Conceicao or Fran (dont remember..)

Senna, Iniesta-Xavi

Costinha-Maniche, Rui Costa

All of those are great! won´t add them to the poll though. Do you think I shall remove the Alonso, Masch-Gerrard cause of it being more 4-2-3-1 than 4-3-3?

For me the Bayern, Inter and Valencia one stands out. The Milan one seems unfair to call a trio, poor Kaka.

Porto Boosted a great one when they won CL too, Costinha, Maniche and Deco. Even though that too was more of a 4-3-1-2 imo. 

Germanys 14 was also great, Kroos Schweinsteiger Özil (4-2-3-1 though).

6 minutes ago, zyfon5 said:

I think casemiro modric kroos is a bit underrated here probably second to Barcelona trio in my opinion. It is literally the perfect balanced midfield trio that we always talk about in fm. Defend (casemiro)-runner ( modric)-passer (kroos)

Yes, me myself liked Chelseas during Mourinhos first spell. Defendpasser (started out as a winger) Makelele, runnerballwinner Essien and the offensive threat Lampard. Also feels this changed the english game in general. Before there was almost never any midfields with 3 central players.

In game I would say they were DLPd Makelele, BBM Essien, CMa Lampard.

Edited by Djuicer

4 minutes ago, Djuicer said:

All of those are great! won´t add them to the poll though. Do you think I shall remove the Alonso, Masch-Gerrard cause of it being more 4-2-3-1 than 4-3-3?

For me the Bayern, Inter and Valencia one stands out. The Milan one seems unfair to call a trio, poor Kaka.

Porto Boosted a great one when they won CL too, Costinha, Maniche and Deco. Even though that too was more of a 4-3-1-2 imo. 

Germanys 14 was also great, Kroos Schweinsteiger Özil (4-2-3-1 though).

nuh, leave em, if you ask its a legit trio to me.

Yes Deco was the 10 i think and absolutely agree with the 7-1 Germany team xD

7 minutes ago, Djuicer said:

Yes, me myself liked Chelseas during Mourinhos first spell. Defendpasser (started out as a winger) Makelele, runnerballwinner Essien and the offensive threat Lampard. Also feels this changed the english game in general. Before there was almost never any midfields with 3 central players.

Indeed that Chelsea brought an even bigger influence on the strong physical mentality of english football. There's an interview in The Coache's Voice where a manager, unfortunately dont remember who, said he thought it was an achievement his team evened against chelsea on a physical level. Also Ballack on that midfield. Ballack!

6 minutes ago, DimitrisLar said:

Indeed that Chelsea brought an even bigger influence on the strong physical mentality of english football. There's an interview in The Coache's Voice where a manager, unfortunately dont remember who, said he thought it was an achievement his team evened against chelsea on a physical level. Also Ballack on that midfield. Ballack!

I will look out for that, was it the former assistant manager he had at Chelsea? an english fellow?

If i remeber correctly Deco was in that chelsea team too. What a mix of midfielders.

1 minute ago, Djuicer said:

I will look out for that, was it the former assistant manager he had at Chelsea? an english fellow?

If i remeber correctly Deco was in that chelsea team too. What a mix of midfielders.

it was someone who coached southampton or a team in that calibre. Deco went afterwards when Scolari went there as a manager

In real life terms nothing comes close to Busquets, Xavi and Iniesta for me. Except maybe George Thorne, Will Hughes and Craig Bryson but I may be biased a tiny bit...

However, in FM terms its abit lightweight for me so I'd go with something abit more robust, perhaps something abit closer to one or a combination of Makelele, Essien, Lampard or Casemiro, Kroos, Modric or Pirlo, Vidal, Pogba. Essentially the Barcelona trio with one of Xavi or Iniesta swapped for someone abit more physically powerful

57 minutes ago, Miraculix said:

In recent times Ancelottis Milan 2003-2007 Pirlo - Gattuso - Seedorf 

Back in the days Cruyffs Barcelona 91-92 Guardiola - Bakero - Laudrup   

A lot of ppls seems to like the Milan midfield so I added it in the poll (even though i think Carletto used 3-1 or xmas3 during this period). It was still truly a world-class midfield with clear roles with excellent players.

1 hour ago, Miraculix said:

In recent times Ancelottis Milan 2003-2007 Pirlo - Gattuso - Seedorf 

Back in the days Cruyffs Barcelona 91-92 Guardiola - Bakero - Laudrup   

I wish i had seen Laudrup play football. In videos he seems like someone in the Iniesta role, with the desire of Messi going forward and the passes packet of Xavi. No wonder why Xavi and Iniesta got influenced by him. But didn;t Guardiola play at the back with Koeman?

2 minutes ago, DimitrisLar said:

But didn;t Guardiola play at the back with Koeman?

Pretty sure Guardiola was a pivote (lone dm, at that time at barca).

Edited by Djuicer

5 minutes ago, Djuicer said:

Pretty sure Guardiola was a pivote (lone dm, at that time at barca).

just checked, you re right. Someone said that 60's was Pele, 70's Cruyff, 80's Maradona, 90's Laudrup and 00's Zidane. Obviously 10's is Messi :D

EDIT: Maybe make a poll about that? who's gonna be in the 20's

Edited by DimitrisLar

21 minutes ago, DimitrisLar said:

just checked, you re right. Someone said that 60's was Pele, 70's Cruyff, 80's Maradona, 90's Laudrup and 00's Zidane. Obviously 10's is Messi :D

EDIT: Maybe make a poll about that? who's gonna be in the 20's

Not sure I rank Laudrup that high, might be cause Im swedish :rolleyes:

seems like a good idea! Mbappe, Madrids brazilians, fati, håland (haaland) seems like some good alternatives.

21 minutes ago, Experienced Defender said:

Extremely hard to pick only one among all these great midfield trios, but if I had to make a final decision... well, let it be Makelele - Essien - Lamps.

Ah, my personal fav. Even though I know the bus, xaviesta was ”better”.

15 hours ago, DimitrisLar said:

it was someone who coached southampton or a team in that calibre. Deco went afterwards when Scolari went there as a manager

Steve Clarke?? must be him!

Despite loving Pirlo, had to choose Busquets, Xavi and Iniesta. Never saw a team like that Barcelona.

Also, and being partial I admit, have to mention the trio Costinha, Deco and Maniche. With this midfield Porto won UEFA Cup in 2003 and Champions League in 2004, plus the portuguese league in both years. That team was a machine and Deco deserved the Ballon D'Or in 2004.

Edited by 99

Think Liverpool's mid 2000s midfield had a great balance about it. 

Destroyer - Passer - Runner

But they all could do a lot more. 

As good as the Barcelona trio was how would they have faired as individuals in other teams? 

Edited by jozza800

3 hours ago, jozza800 said:

Think Liverpool's mid 2000s midfield had a great balance about it. 

Destroyer - Passer - Runner

But they all could do a lot more. 

As good as the Barcelona trio was how would they have faired as individuals in other teams? 

If Fabregas made it in a Moutinho's team then each of them would be too. Its the technical ability required in this particular trio that makes a question for everybody else if they could make something more in there. For example Gattuso couldn't. But thats why its a trio question, its the combination thing.

1 hour ago, DimitrisLar said:

If Fabregas made it in a Moutinho's team then each of them would be too. Its the technical ability required in this particular trio that makes a question for everybody else if they could make something more in there. For example Gattuso couldn't. But thats why its a trio question, its the combination thing.

Keep in mind that Cesc struggled to get the game time he wanted in that Barca team, then left for Chelsea and and not just held down a starting place, he dominated PL for one/one and a half season.