Join the Football Manager 2019 Public Beta today!

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrators
4 minutes ago, mernild said:

Amazing! Thanks for the many patch notes.
Can you say anything about what has been changed in the ME?

The fixes have been listed above, there haven't been wholesale changes as things are still being worked and experimented on. We'd really appreciate people raising any thoughts on how things are potentially different or if there's anything they think requires more investigation etc. 

• Administrators
1 minute ago, rain94 said:

Thanks for the patch notes. It would be nice to know which update requires a restart. For example...do I need to restart the save for the "Players spawned in Belgium to have correct Belgian Homegrown Status"?

Generally any issues for competitions and rulegroups require a new save game - however with that one I'm not 100% sure and would have to check with the comps and rulegroup team when they're next back online. 

• Administrators
5 minutes ago, Smx said:

@Neil Brock I'm from Russia. sorry for my English. When to expect a large changes in M.E.? 

There already have been some changes as listed above, further changes are dependent on internal testing and experimenting on potential changes. Hopefully we can put out more ME's to the public beta to test but it's a bit of a guessing game to know exactly when that'd be. 

55 minutes ago, Neil Brock said:

So as promised we've now been able to update the Public Beta to version 19.2.0. The changelist includes but isn't limited to the fixes listed below:

19.2.0 Public Beta Changelist (ME Version 1916)

- Further stability/crash fixes
- Number of general AI transfer tweaks
- Further balancing work on happiness conversations
- Fixed functionality with deleting custom schedules
- UI fix for end of season break on Training > Overview page
- Semi-pro/Amateur youth training schedules corrected
- Training happiness tweaks
- Position training tweaks
- Fixed being unable to attend matches via team’s schedule panel
- Fixed issues with Continue Game Timeout not being responsive enough.
- Number of general UI fixes
- Carabao Cup winner not qualifying for Europe if previous Euro Cup winner was English and outside top 4
- Players spawned in Belgium should have the correct Belgian Homegrown status 
- Premier Division and Championship now have Goal Line Technology in all matches from 2nd season
- Number of fixes related to Romanian league
- Number of competition and rule groups fixes
- General improvements to the match AI
- Fixed match sharpness increasing too quickly during matches
- Number of offside fixes
- Fixes for penalties being given incorrectly
- Made it less likely for players not back in full training to be selected to play
- Fixed some examples of commentary incorrectly describing incidents
- Replays not being shown sometimes in commentary only 
- Fixed camera not always tracking an injured player 

And please don't forget to raise any issues via our Public Beta Bugs Forum. 

Thanks!

Bug:

Now possible to rest every player in the game, from the player search

20181122194712_1.jpg

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, Armistice said:

Are animation glitches seen as bugs? There’s a weird movement in one of the goals I’ve watched.

Always worth raising just in case - would be worth seeing if it happens if you view it back or whether it was a one off. If you can record and upload the video would be useful too. 

12 minutes ago, Herbie2100 said:

Bug:

Now possible to rest every player in the game, from the player search

20181122194712_1.jpg

Great and quick catch mate. In my game I can also rest all players. Nice way to take out the entire competition :D

Without knowing what was actually changed in the match engine, it's difficult to give feedback, but over a few games, it doesn't look a lot different. A few less long balls over the top, but still a high percentage of goals from set pieces. I'm managing in Scottish League 1 at the moment, so the quality of player isn't the best. I don't want to touch my Sampdoria save again until it's more stable. That said, I never really saw that much wrong with the engine this year, set piece goals notwithstanding. 

First impression (for context I'm managing PSG) it looks better. Noticeable changes include:

- My team are now having a far more reasonable amount of shots on goal e.g. 10-15. In ME 1915 I had one match where I had 50 shots on goal! Similarly, lesser teams playing me are at least getting some efforts on target, that wasn't the case before

- In my last fixture, my AMC made 3 key passes - whereas previously they were barely involved

- My strikers have started scoring again! Cavani from a corner, but this time his movement was good. A nice tap-in from Dolberg who found space in the 6 yd box. A scruffy goal, from Neymar, assisted by striker.

- Inside forwards looking better, actually dribbing into dangerous areas, beating people, rather than running into proverbial walls. Top players e.g. Neymar starting to look like top players again

Still a lot of balls going out wide to wing backs but I'll reserve judgement so far as I need to try a few different things. Also, playing as PSG in Lique 1, teams are very defensive so I understand its difficult to create down the centre or in-behind.

After a few Matches played,  i can not see a "Big change" to the ME before . Still hundreds of Corners , blocked shots , Own goals and Red Cards . And the issue with 3-4 Defenders chasing 1 dude is still there. Hoping for a Real ME change soon . 

My first impressions of ME1916 after watching 7 official matches and seeing quite a few goals in friendlies is that it looks a lot more or almost exactly like ME1900:

- The direct play has been toned down quite a bit. That should ease a lot of people's minds. Playing on a positive mentality with pass into space does not result in Hoof the ball anymore.

- Next to that, the amount wrong footed passes that was so typical for ME1900 is visible again. 

- Striker /Attacking movement still seems to be an issue although the F9 role does seem to involve himself a bit more. I am seeing more interplay in the final third between the F9 and players who start moving into depth when he receives the balls. Perhaps one of the first roles that was finetuned a bit?

- The AMC playmaking position shows almost the exact same habits of ME1900: playing 9 out of 10 balls wide or back and just one in a forward direction more central direction. This again ties with the lack of off the ball movement by the IF's and SC in the final third. 

- However there are slightly more through balls from deepers central positions (Mc's)

- Crossing seems to be close to what it was in ME1900. Still enough blocks but less lingering and unnecessary blocking. 

- Quite a few goals from set pieces and corners, again the sort of goals remind of ME1900, also because headed goals in the opposite direction are back again (heading in ME1914 was a lot poorer).

This ME look and plays as if  a reversal of ME1914 back to ME1900 has been made and that there have been gentle tweaks here and there instead of drastic ones. At least this ME gives a more balanced platform for people to work on a solid tactic. And it buys SI more time to take a closer look at attacking movement and central play. I do really have the impression so far that this ME is the way forward for the live version in repairing a bit of trust.

This weekend I hope to find more time for longer periods of full match watching. I will report back if I find anything unusual or add to my current thread on movement if the bigger issues still persist.

31 minutes ago, Mensell76 said:

My first impressions of ME1916 after watching 7 official matches and seeing quite a few goals in friendlies is that it looks a lot more or almost exactly like ME1900:

- The direct play has been toned down quite a bit. That should ease a lot of people's minds. Playing on a positive mentality with pass into space does not result in Hoof the ball anymore.

- Next to that, the amount wrong footed passes that was so typical for ME1900 is visible again. 

- Striker /Attacking movement still seems to be an issue although the F9 role does seem to involve himself a bit more. I am seeing more interplay in the final third between the F9 and players who start moving into depth when he receives the balls. Perhaps one of the first roles that was finetuned a bit?

- The AMC playmaking position shows almost the exact same habits of ME1900: playing 9 out of 10 balls wide or back and just one in a forward direction more central direction. This again ties with the lack of off the ball movement by the IF's and SC in the final third. 

- However there are slightly more through balls from deepers central positions (Mc's)

- Crossing seems to be close to what it was in ME1900. Still enough blocks but less lingering and unnecessary blocking. 

- Quite a few goals from set pieces and corners, again the sort of goals remind of ME1900, also because headed goals in the opposite direction are back again (heading in ME1914 was a lot poorer).

This ME look and plays as if  a reversal of ME1914 back to ME1900 has been made and that there have been gentle tweaks here and there instead of drastic ones. At least this ME gives a more balanced platform for people to work on a solid tactic. And it buys SI more time to take a closer look at attacking movement and central play. I do really have the impression so far that this ME is the way forward for the live version in repairing a bit of trust.

This weekend I hope to find more time for longer periods of full match watching. I will report back if I find anything unusual or add to my current thread on movement if the bigger issues still persist.

Just to add to this as well, I am seeing Inside forwards stretching play a bit and receiving passes out wide, 

I've also noticed short passing has been fixed somewhat, you are still seeing the direct passes that you should see when playing a highline. 

Pressing has also not been touched a tall. 

35 minutes ago, Mensell76 said:

I don’t think they have mentioned anything about major ME tweaks in this update so I don’t think it’s realistic to have high expectations from this version.

2 minutes ago, Armistice said:

I don’t think they have mentioned anything about major ME tweaks in this update so I don’t think it’s realistic to have high expectations from this version.

I don't believe I am stating that I have high expectations. Just my general observations on the ME. The comparison to ME1900 is not a bad thing since that was better for many people. 

In all honesty though I think the toning down of the passing directness is a tweak with huge visibility in this ME. That in itself is "major" enough.

17 minutes ago, Mensell76 said:

I don't believe I am stating that I have high expectations. Just my general observations on the ME. The comparison to ME1900 is not a bad thing since that was better for many people. 

In all honesty though I think the toning down of the passing directness is a tweak with huge visibility in this ME. That in itself is "major" enough.

one game i played on new me ended with both teams bellow 70% passing rate. never happened before.

14 minutes ago, rdbayly said:

placebo effect
noun

1. a beneficial effect produced by a placebo, which cannot be attributed to the properties of the placebo itself, and must therefore be due to the patient's belief that something has improved.

But that would only be if nothing has changed and there has been some changes

1 minute ago, Mitja said:

one game i played on new me ended with both teams bellow 70% passing rate. never happened before.

What level was this? In my lower leagues, i have regularly seen this, what ar the attributes of the managers in play. Post PKM as well. 

11 minutes ago, Amarante said:

What level was this? In my lower leagues, i have regularly seen this, what ar the attributes of the managers in play. Post PKM as well. 

EPL.

there's one thing i can't understand, i play home against Burnley they lineup with defensive formation and i'm on attacking mentality. what i see is the oposite to what there should be becuase attacking mentality = hoofball and defensive mentality = possession style. they play sexy one touch short passing football and my players just trying killer balls from own half  of the time. we finally get the ball back after long time and my star winger just passes it back to opposition??! shouldn't it be the other way around, attacking mentality passing the ball maybe? and defensive hoofing and trying through balls from own half? 

6 minutes ago, Mitja said:

EPL.

there's one thing i can't understand, i play home against Burnley they lineup with defensive formation and i'm on attacking mentality. what i see is the oposite to what there should be becuase attacking mentality = hoofball and defensive mentality = possession style. they play sexy one touch short passing football and my players just trying killer balls from own half  of the time. we finally get the ball back after long time and my star winger just passes it back to opposition??! shouldn't it be the other way around, attacking mentality passing the ball maybe? and defensive hoofing and trying through balls from own half? 

Try using the default  preset and see if there is a change. 

6 hours ago, Neil Brock said:

So as promised we've now been able to update the Public Beta to version 19.2.0. The changelist includes but isn't limited to the fixes listed below:

19.2.0 Public Beta Changelist (ME Version 1916)

- Further stability/crash fixes
- Number of general AI transfer tweaks
- Further balancing work on happiness conversations
- Fixed functionality with deleting custom schedules
- UI fix for end of season break on Training > Overview page
- Semi-pro/Amateur youth training schedules corrected
- Training happiness tweaks
- Position training tweaks
- Fixed being unable to attend matches via team’s schedule panel
- Fixed issues with Continue Game Timeout not being responsive enough.
- Number of general UI fixes
- Carabao Cup winner not qualifying for Europe if previous Euro Cup winner was English and outside top 4
- Players spawned in Belgium should have the correct Belgian Homegrown status 
- Premier Division and Championship now have Goal Line Technology in all matches from 2nd season
- Number of fixes related to Romanian league
- Number of competition and rule groups fixes
- General improvements to the match AI
- Fixed match sharpness increasing too quickly during matches
- Number of offside fixes
- Fixes for penalties being given incorrectly
- Made it less likely for players not back in full training to be selected to play
- Fixed some examples of commentary incorrectly describing incidents
- Replays not being shown sometimes in commentary only 
- Fixed camera not always tracking an injured player 

And please don't forget to raise any issues via our Public Beta Bugs Forum. 

Thanks!

The al transfer fixes has this fixed the January transfer budgets when you disable 1st transfer window or is this something that’s still been worked on?

@Neil Brock

Can you tell me if Kosovo is hard coded to ever have only one spot in European competitions no matter how well you develop them? I heard this when reading someone's career with Kosovo right here in the forum (Kosovo gained positions in the coefficients, but never gained more spots for continental tournaments).

Or do they gain more spots as normal as other nations?

2 hours ago, Mitja said:

EPL.

This is exactly why 'attacking' and 'defensive' mentalities are so badly named. The mentalities indicate the level of risk your players take. If I want an attacking display by my team, but want to keep possession and have them pass the ball shorter whilst doing so, the last thing I'm going to pick is a mentality which encourage lots or risk. I would pick what the game calls 'defensive' and make sure my player roles and instructions complement it to get my desired style. How many people know that though? Logic would dictate picking 'defensive' means you're trying to park the bus, and it isn't necessarily the case. 

I like how they've changed Counter to Cautious and Control to Positive (perhaps a bit less so), I just wish they'd name them all more helpfully. 

19 minutes ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

This is exactly why 'attacking' and 'defensive' mentalities are so badly named. The mentalities indicate the level of risk your players take. If I want an attacking display by my team, but want to keep possession and have them pass the ball shorter whilst doing so, the last thing I'm going to pick is a mentality which encourage lots or risk. I would pick what the game calls 'defensive' and make sure my player roles and instructions complement it to get my desired style. How many people know that though? Logic would dictate picking 'defensive' means you're trying to park the bus, and it isn't necessarily the case. 

I like how they've changed Counter to Cautious and Control to Positive (perhaps a bit less so), I just wish they'd name them all more helpfully. 

This is one of the biggest causes for confusion. You can play attacking/defensive type football on all mentalities. They are badly named yes and only measures the risk that your player will take when on the ball. A think maybe it's time SI remove mentalities and just let roles and instructions govern how offensive,riskier and defensive a player should be within a system. 

5 hours ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

maybe they are badly named but having in mind what kind of football Burnley plays irl and what AI Burnley plays in FM is the oposite to one would expect. i went to see in official database they should play direct and quite fast not possession football. so it's either that whole FM database needs to be changed to make teams who play ''attacking'' decrease to ''defensive'' or maybe try to fix attacking mentalities so that players actually pass the ball around. 

5 hours ago, Amarante said:

This is one of the biggest causes for confusion. You can play attacking/defensive type football on all mentalities. They are badly named yes and only measures the risk that your player will take when on the ball. A think maybe it's time SI remove mentalities and just let roles and instructions govern how offensive,riskier and defensive a player should be within a system. 

but didn't you already define your RISK with in-possession intsructions like passing style (shorter less risk), tempo (lower risk), creative freedom, with the amount of dribbling, with the amount of through balls and with different player roles and duties to list just a few. why do you need mentality interfering into all that and how much and where does it interfere? does a player role with through balls set on rarely tries more such passes on attacking mentality than a player role with through balls set to often on defensive mentality? how much more? what is the difference between fast tempo on attacking mentality compared to fast tempo on defensive? or for example droping from attacking mentality to balanced meens that players will actually start looking for free team-mates around and not hoof the ball forward at first opportunity? 

Played only a handful of games so far but enough to see certain patterns of play. As dagenham dave said, not much has changed. I am seeing slightly less corners, but still too high in general. Haven´t seen a single goal scored from patient breakdown of defense, all goals coming from crosses (basically all of them scored after a counter) and corners. Players seem more trigger happy and there are more long shots as a result. It certainly looks a bit better but the issue of lack of movement from attacking players is still there.

Right now it is useless to buy elite central attacking players because they will not be utilized. I also saw in 3 consecutive games that world class players (mine and also opposition´s) making ridiculous passes straight into the feet of opposition´s player despite being under no pressure, which has been the issue with this ME since the beginning. Throw ins seem to be better.

The problem is that almost everyone defends in extremely low and narrow block and defending in this way is overpowered, which combined with the famous lack of movement makes a lot of games completely unwatchable. 

6 hours ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

This is an excellent post. Now wonder people are clueless at times when the instructions go against common sense.

1 hour ago, Martin# said:

This is an excellent post. Now wonder people are clueless at times when the instructions go against common sense.

i think the in-game descriptions are just fine because they are logical in football sense. otherwise whole FM world would needed to be turned upside down.

-defensive mentality rely on direct passing to forwards followed by sharp and quick passing.

-attacking mentality should try to dominate possession in opponent's half and overload in final third with fast tempo. it should also recycle possession when apropriate.

what i see is the oposite to the in-game description. watching the whole game where attacking mentality meets defensive is painful and very confusing experience. 

10 hours ago, Mitja said:

EPL.

This has nothing to do with the ME, it's how mentality has always worked. Higher mentalities = more direct passing, more risk taking. 

What is needed is for SI to rename them further (changing the terribly misleading Control and Counter to Cautious and Positive is a good start) and change the descriptions to better fit what they actually do. 

Just now, bar333 said:

This has nothing to do with the ME, it's how mentality has always worked. Higher mentalities = more direct passing, more risk taking. 

What is needed is for SI to rename them further (changing the terribly misleading Control and Counter to Cautious and Positive is a good start) and change the descriptions to better fit what they actually do. 

but first they would need to change whole database and then you would have to change whole AI tactical logics since defensive mentalities don't use overlapping fullbacks and usually employ less attack duties etc. maybe it would be easier if they stick to in-game description which is perfectly logical and code the ME so that attacking mentality doesn't equal hoofball? while i agree it has allways been like that i've never seen such amount of rushed and completly unlogical player decisions. maybe the difference between mentalities is too huge now? 

• Administrators
12 hours ago, 99 said:

@Neil Brock any chance you can tell me if in the " competition and rule groups fixes " there are fixes related to the portuguese competitions? So I can see if I should restart my save or not. Thank you!

No there aren't any that I'm aware of that directly affect the Portuguese leagues. 

• Administrators
10 hours ago, Lanko said:

@Neil Brock

Can you tell me if Kosovo is hard coded to ever have only one spot in European competitions no matter how well you develop them? I heard this when reading someone's career with Kosovo right here in the forum (Kosovo gained positions in the coefficients, but never gained more spots for continental tournaments).

Or do they gain more spots as normal as other nations?

They're hard coded to one. Similar to Liechtenstein IRL UEFA has restricted them to a limited number of slots independent of their co-efficient. If we had evidence to suggest this shouldn't be the case we could make a change. 

vor 18 Minuten schrieb LucasBR:

I dont get it... Everyone will have access to this? Its a new patch for the full game? Sorry for the stupids questions.

Its public beta . You have to go on Steam - right click Football Manager 2019 - Properties .. then on the right side it says BETA . there u choose public beta , and done :hammer:

To reply to the guys above on mentalities

Attacking football doesn't always mean high possession and defensive football doesn't mean i play direct and long ball. 

Carlo Ancelotti plays attacking football but his sides don't dominate possession, Liverpool plays attacking football but they don't always seek the ball. Alex Ferguson Manu played attacking football 

Possession football can be both defensive and attacking. Louis Van Gaal Manu team was not attacking but they had loads of possession. 

Its only the media that tries to make the correlation between attacking football and possession-based football. Persons like Pep and Sarri are just disciples of positional play which leads to having a high number of passes which leads to having the ball. They don't set up there team to dominate the ball, but because of positional play, they end up with high ball possession. 

In FM i like to think of mentalities as a scale. When on an attacking mentality the chances that your creative players will make that riskier pass is at 8/10 while on a lower mentality its a 5/10. The mentality in FM governs risk-taking and how much freedom you allow your players with the ball. 

Archived