Brexit in FM19

I've just got a harder brexit in my save, whereby all EU nationals need a work permit to join a UK team irrespective of division.

I'm quite looking forward to seeing how that impacts things in the Football League, where I'm currently managing. I'll be curious to see how good the AI is at squad building given that only British and Irish players will be available for nearly every team outside of the Premier League. 

Whilst I hope that there is a better outcome for football in the UK in reality than the one I've got in game, I have been keen to play a harder brexit save.

Edited by 17Gonzo

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do we know what the various Brexit permutations are? As @17Gonzo says above, there's the hard Brexit option, where EU players are subject to the typical Work Permit rules seen for non-EU players. We've also seen the £8k per week for first teamers and £3k for u23 players. Are there any others?

On ‎24‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 15:42, DavyDepuydt1 said:

I believe it has it's place in a simulation game, just like the elections of  which country will host the world cup in 2034 we know there will be a world cup, we just don't know in what country, so the game simulates the process of selecting a country and giving you a news item about it. I love this with Brexit to, we know it will happen (or not, like in game is also a possible outcome) and the game simulates it...

They could go even further and make other countries quit EU, and new ones join.
They could include countries being acknowledged by FIFA who are not in future seasons, ...
they could include scandals breaking out where teams cease to exist ...
they could include competition formulas changing, where the number of teams in a league is suddenly changed or relegation/promotion is no longer possible

That would all be acceptable as part of a simulation game, and from all those scenario's, brexit is by far one of the most acceptable to be in it at this point in time

There are some interesting ideas here but I would hate the last one about relegation/promotion being no longer impossible.

I follow football IRL and if the powers that be allowed a top league to have no promotion/relegation I would no longer follow football, I support a team outside the Premier League and I would not 

want the dream to be taken away. I would not follow real life football anymore.

If the same dream was taken away in FM I would stop playing it. 

On 04/11/2018 at 10:29, toshj said:

Do we know what the various Brexit permutations are? As @17Gonzo says above, there's the hard Brexit option, where EU players are subject to the typical Work Permit rules seen for non-EU players. We've also seen the £8k per week for first teamers and £3k for u23 players. Are there any others?

My game saw no changes at all.  Everything stayed as is.

I'm playing as Coventry in League One. I got the Brexit where all players besides UK and Ireland require a Work Permit. 

However I tried signing a few foreign guys one each of French, Croation and Italian and they are all unknowns without any international experience and all were granted work permits. So while work permits are required it seems they are extremely easy to obtain.

The brexit I just had was top division in England and Scotland can name 17 foreigners out of 25 player squad with no work permits required at all, U21 players of any nationality don't need to be registered.

All other English, Welsh, Northern Irish and Scottish divisions require work permits for all non UK nationals. 

On ‎03‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 11:06, lex311085 said:

Im confused, I thought it was hard coded from the beginning so its not a matter of saving then reloading on the 26th. 

The type of Brexit you get is, but the date it triggers isn't.

October 26th seems to be the date when the game checks if Brexit will happen at the end of the current season. If you're happy to reload a few times you can delay it every year

Even though Brexit has been in a couple of FMs now this iteration is the first that has pretty much ruined my enjoyment of the game.

Playing as Elgin City I've been promoted to League 1 in Scotland. A chance to perhaps scour the market a bit and get a young , or old, foreign player or two in to bolster the ranks. After all, the pool of talent in Scotland is pretty limited.

Instead, the Brexit roll for my game is similar to one a couple of others have in that it requires all foreign Youth players to have a minimum salary of 3,000 per week and anyone for the first team to have 8,000 per week. In the Scottish League 1 where the average wage budget for a club is about 6-8k.

I understand that FM wants to simulate the real world, but there is a point where this becomes a bit too impactful on the "fun" element of gameplay. In this case, there is 1 player outside of Celtic + Rangers that earns 8,000 per week in Scotland and for many teams the top earner is on less than half that amount. So, short of massive wage inflation, no team outside of the Old Firm will be able to sign a first-team foreign player based off these salary restrictions, rendering the other restriction of 17 foreign players pretty much obsolete.

I find it hard to believe that the league would allow such restrictions to be implemented given the massive impact it would have in widening the gulf further that exists between those two and the rest of the league. Surely there would be an exemption put in place or even a scaling system given the limited resources compared to, say, the English leagues. A better solution would be just to make Brexit have the 17 FP limit, keep it at that for everyone and avoid random outcomes that are poorly implemented to the point where they break the game design.

The moment I saw these restrictions I felt like quitting and starting over.  I played out to the end of the season to get the promotion but my interest in continuing is virtually nil and I'll probably move on to another save, or game.

Edited by biffykins

Am I missing something with the middle of the road Brexit where you get a 17 foreign player limit; it says players already playing in the UK will not count until they sign a new contract yet every single one of them is counting. I signed players in the first summer and January that are being counted as foreign still, non of them have signed new contracts yet.

On 04/11/2018 at 09:31, 17Gonzo said:

I've just got a harder brexit in my save, whereby all EU nationals need a work permit to join a UK team irrespective of division.

I'm quite looking forward to seeing how that impacts things in the Football League, where I'm currently managing. I'll be curious to see how good the AI is at squad building given that only British and Irish players will be available for nearly every team outside of the Premier League. 

Whilst I hope that there is a better outcome for football in the UK in reality than the one I've got in game, I have been keen to play a harder brexit save.

I’ve just got this outcome which is exactly what I was hoping for. I’ve built my Sheff Utd team around a large British core of players. As it’s the first time I’ve ever had anything other than the easier brexit outcomes, I’m looking forward to seeing how it plays out. 

Considering the rumblings, and horrific negotiations, BREXIT on FM might actually be better than the actual BREXIT. Hearing talk of more compulsory English players, removing homegrown status from players like Bellerin, Cesc, etc in real life.

Edited by theonets

On 04/11/2018 at 10:29, toshj said:

There is "no-brexit" brexit with no changes to the current system at all. Luckily I got it for my England save (two previous saves it was a 17-player limit).

I've just had the most ridiculous Brexit scenario which means that teams from Wales and Northern Ireland essentially cannot sign any foreigners at all. All Non-British or Irish players have to be offered a minimum of £8k per week. 

I find it completely ridiculous that this now means I will be unable to sign players for a very long time because teams in NI or Wales are a long way from being able to offer wages that high.

Don't get me wrong, having Brexit in the game isn't a problem with me, but this kind of outcome is a bit too far fetched and has put a complete downer on this save. Especially considering it means I now cannot renew the contract of my Portuguese midfielder.

For context:

Crusaders, who are the only professional team in the NIFL Premiership, have their highest paid players at £1K per week.

Linfield, who are historically the most successful team in NI, have their highest paid player at £800 per week.

TNS, the best team from Wales, have their highest paid player at £975 per week.

Edited by Kanwulf

56 minutes ago, Kanwulf said:

I've just had the most ridiculous Brexit scenario which means that teams from Wales and Northern Ireland essentially cannot sign any foreigners at all. All Non-British or Irish players have to be offered a minimum of £8k per week. 

I find it completely ridiculous that this now means I will be unable to sign players for a very long time because teams in NI or Wales are a long way from being able to offer wages that high.

Don't get me wrong, having Brexit in the game isn't a problem with me, but this kind of outcome is a bit too far fetched and has put a complete downer on this save. Especially considering it means I now cannot renew the contract of my Portuguese midfielder.

For context:

Crusaders, who are the only professional team in the NIFL Premiership, have their highest paid players at £1K per week.

Linfield, who are historically the most successful team in NI, have their highest paid player at £800 per week.

That really doesn't seem unreasonable or impossible to me? The whole point of the work permit system is for only those foreigners we actually need to fill roles that we can't fulfill with similar-quality British candidates to be allowed to immigrate. And clubs at that level clearly have a lot of British options without having to resort to foreigners.

1 minute ago, Spurs08 said:

That really doesn't seem unreasonable or impossible to me? The whole point of the work permit system is for only those foreigners we actually need to fill roles that we can't fulfill with similar-quality British candidates to be allowed to immigrate. And clubs at that level clearly have a lot of British options without having to resort to foreigners.

I'm just throwing my toys out the pram because I can't sign foreigners now ha

On 20/11/2018 at 20:45, Spurs08 said:

I might be wrong - but im 99% sure there will be exception for the leagues as there will be a green card system for highly qualified foreigners. In Denmark footballers have used tax advantages due to this for years.'

I also think the scenario are totally unrealistic. Im in 2025 and believe me - if this happens it will be politically solved during a few years. Brexit is not a final solution or negotiation that will not be changed and UK have demand for foreigners no matter what some politicans state these years.

And you really think they would destroy the Premier League by banning foreigners? One of the places where UK has the most popular mass marketing things in the world? IT will never happen.

I cant even sign danish, italian, german, brazilian youngsters

Edited by ravenation

10 hours ago, ravenation said:

And you really think they would destroy the Premier League by banning foreigners? One of the places where UK has the most popular mass marketing things in the world? IT will never happen.

You honestly believe the EPL/Sky has enough power they could dictate what governments decide as law?

On ‎20‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 18:47, Kanwulf said:

For context:

A quick look at Wiki for current squads.

TNS: one Polish player, everyone else British and Irish

Linfield: one Dane, everyone else Irish/Northern Irish

Crusaders: everyone Irish or Northern Irish

The outcome isn't far fetched at all - it's actually much more realistic than hoovering up cheap youngsters from overseas.

I'm managing Leeds in the Premier League post Brexit and can't say I've been affected at all by it. I've not had any transfers where I've thought "this player's foreign, I shouldn't sign him because of Brexit". Does anybody really have 17 foreign players in a 25 man squad anyway? I like building a young British squad so my main core is always British with very few foreign players.

25 minutes ago, Jambo_ said:

I'm managing Leeds in the Premier League post Brexit and can't say I've been affected at all by it. I've not had any transfers where I've thought "this player's foreign, I shouldn't sign him because of Brexit". Does anybody really have 17 foreign players in a 25 man squad anyway? I like building a young British squad so my main core is always British with very few foreign players.

That's fair enough, but are you getting work permits for players that should get work permits if they were Non-EU before this was introduced? Dybala, Suarez, Kante type players? If so (I've not got to Premier League yet....but I will I assure you :D ), then that's cool. I've just read that it might not be working as should?

1 minute ago, Jibby123 said:

That's fair enough, but are you getting work permits for players that should get work permits if they were Non-EU before this was introduced? Dybala, Suarez, Kante type players? If so (I've not got to Premier League yet....but I will I assure you :D ), then that's cool. I've just read that it might not be working as should?

I've only signed one non-EU player since Brexit, a 19 year old newgen Argentinian keeper from Independiente, and he got a work permit straight away without needing to appeal or anything. Maybe in the future a work permit might get rejected but I'll wait and see.

2 minutes ago, Jambo_ said:

I've only signed one non-EU player since Brexit, a 19 year old newgen Argentinian keeper from Independiente, and he got a work permit straight away without needing to appeal or anything. Maybe in the future a work permit might get rejected but I'll wait and see.

Fair one. :thup:

Edited by Jibby123

14 hours ago, ravenation said:

I might be wrong - but im 99% sure there will be exception for the leagues as there will be a green card system for highly qualified foreigners. In Denmark footballers have used tax advantages due to this for years.'

I also think the scenario are totally unrealistic. Im in 2025 and believe me - if this happens it will be politically solved during a few years. Brexit is not a final solution or negotiation that will not be changed and UK have demand for foreigners no matter what some politicans state these years.

Like I posted above, the FA is actually considering changes such as increasing the minimum number of homegrown players, and changing the definition so someone like Bellerin would no longer be considered homegrown. So yes, it can happen, and the FA actually wants it to happen because of this misguided belief that it'll improve the national team to have **** players play for top clubs just because they're English

1 hour ago, theonets said:

Like I posted above, the FA is actually considering changes such as increasing the minimum number of homegrown players, and changing the definition so someone like Bellerin would no longer be considered homegrown. So yes, it can happen, and the FA actually wants it to happen because of this misguided belief that it'll improve the national team to have **** players play for top clubs just because they're English

Yes, they are.

But not in any way like not being able for a club to sign any players from other countries that dont have 50 national games for a major nation.

I cant even sign the Icelandic national goalkeeper as it is not big enough country to obtain a workpermit.

29 minutes ago, ravenation said:

Yes - PL is one of the absolutely biggest Global brands UK has - believe me - no one will destroy that

Then you're absolutely deluded. EPL/Sky are huge in their own wee world, but don't mistake that for actually meaning anything, those decided what happens with Brexit won't give it a second thought.

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Then you're absolutely deluded. EPL/Sky are huge in their own wee world, but don't mistake that for actually meaning anything, those decided what happens with Brexit won't give it a second thought.

Bit harsh as nobody knows what will happen.

Will be shocked if we notice much change in PL big money signings, but I might be absolutely deluded as well. If you're the guru post-Brexit on impacts to any industry then maybe you could spend less time here or on a computer game and get out sorting the mess out. Your country needs you.

6 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Iunderstand that knowledge is something that are not in high course this year and that people prefer Fake News.

But it is a fact that the English spread out football to the world through their colonies and that EPL for this reason is the most watched league in the world.

I can even give you a link so you can get a bit wiser

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1948434-why-the-premier-league-is-the-most-powerful-league-in-the-world

Brexit is meant for that very exact reason wisconsin. I used to manage a lot in England leagues and lately I havent managed there since Brexit has been introduced. I do miss it there but I find enjoyment in other leagues, leagues I thought I would never manage until now. I will make a return to England when I find courage to do so. 

On 23/11/2018 at 19:41, ravenation said:

Iunderstand that knowledge is something that are not in high course this year and that people prefer Fake News.

But it is a fact that the English spread out football to the world through their colonies and that EPL for this reason is the most watched league in the world.

I can even give you a link so you can get a bit wiser

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1948434-why-the-premier-league-is-the-most-powerful-league-in-the-world

This was explaining why the league is the best it is right now, which is easy to see the reason why. 

But Brexit is happening, so far right now, for many reasons and one of them is to end the free movement which is included in the government plan so far currently and I am failing to see how Premier League would find a way to circumvent that. I like the idea of England reducing the limit of foreign players and to copy Spain's style (If that option is possible to them). 

But you are deluded in thinking that the PL would have the power to stop the government themselves. Only the parliaments have the power to do so currently and that's the last step government need to go through. They do not need to go through with Sky or EPL's permission. 

Wow. It's amazingly easy to solve this without the use of the editor. When you first start your save, make two separate saves of it with different names. Then go on holiday on one save until the date the news is announced. If the type of Brexit you get isn't what you want, then start up a new save. If it is suitable for you, then just reload the other save you created at the start, as, if the type of Brexit you get is the same as soon as you start a save, then that is the one you will get.

Though I'm not bothered which type of Brexit I get, I don't mind the challenge if I have to just play with homegrown players.

On 22/11/2018 at 21:09, ravenation said:

EXACTLY right mate. I can guarantee with 99.999999999999% certainty that no matter WHAT Brexit we get in real life, even the most hardline Brexit anyone can imagine, that we will make allowances for footballers. They are far too important to the economy and the national game for us just to suddenly make all EU players need work permits. It's nonsensical.

10 hours ago, Ellis_D said:

EXACTLY right mate. I can guarantee with 99.999999999999% certainty that no matter WHAT Brexit we get in real life, even the most hardline Brexit anyone can imagine, that we will make allowances for footballers. They are far too important to the economy and the national game for us just to suddenly make all EU players need work permits. It's nonsensical.

They will make allowance for good EU players.  Less so for mediocre journeymen you occasionally find further down the pyramid.

It's actually very rare to find non-British Isles players in League Two etc.  For example Exeter City don't have a single European player just one random Australian, everyone else is British or Irish.  

I guess the only issue is that in FM Irish players should always be accepted, as Irish nationals have the right of abode in the UK under treaties signed before the EEC existed let alone the EU.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/citizens-rights-uk-and-irish-nationals-in-the-common-travel-area/citizens-rights-uk-and-irish-nationals-in-the-common-travel-area

30 minutes ago, StevehFC said:

Anyone know where to find the rules of the brexit scenerio of your save. 

Cant find it in the game - but here are 2 examples of players i cant sign - it is extremely hard to sign anything else than UK players

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/957475188820332181/0ECE7E500254724327AF3158B17A79AC99408A81/

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/957475188820338137/BD38E2ED3B5C33A5A094792711131331B08D1FFA/

Surely in real life Brexit will do absolutely nothing, players will still be allowed to come here from abroad, they are not the same as normal foreign workers, they 'll just get temporary visa's and it will carry on as if nothing has changed. This should be hard written into the game.

7 hours ago, StevehFC said:

YBIKk3T.png

Here's mine. Safe to say it's  a hard brexit? 

Part of the reason for brexit is to take control of the WP system, so the WP system isn't really part of brexit.

Whatever UK decides to allow EU players in the UK has nothing to do with EU.

The rules you quoted is simply the current rules without an exception for EU players.

13 hours ago, ravenation said:

it is extremely hard to sign anything else than UK players

Is this not what the English people wanted when they initiated Brexit? Use it as an opportunity to develop and improve the native talent. Sort of like a bigger version of the Basque clubs in Spain.

1 hour ago, Baodan said:

Is this not what the English people wanted when they initiated Brexit? Use it as an opportunity to develop and improve the native talent. Sort of like a bigger version of the Basque clubs in Spain.

To be honest - im not even sure they know themselves what they really voted for and that all of the 52% majority really voted for this. If you ask them if "people schould be allowed to move and live where they want freely 64% of the British think it is good idea". If you ask them "if immigration to UK is a good idea - they say no"

But it is discussion not for this forum. But i still dont believe the PL will be affected.

4 hours ago, Miravlix said:

Part of the reason for brexit is to take control of the WP system, so the WP system isn't really part of brexit.

Whatever UK decides to allow EU players in the UK has nothing to do with EU.

The rules you quoted is simply the current rules without an exception for EU players.

Im not into the current rules - but know i cant sign any wonderkids as in previous years and when you have small salarybudget it is extremely hard to take the best players from the 6 biggest league in Europe. Utd use half of my salarybudget on this one player.

17 minutes ago, DominicForza said:

If you don't want Brexit to "ruin" your game, simply download a NoBrexit file from Steam Workshop, or elsewhere.   

I'd imagine that there are "Hard Brexit" and "Soft Brexit" files out there too.

Think it is not possible in running game and i never use editor, cheat scouting or any other cheat software

So i sign players now without work permit. I hope i can loan them out and they can get later on.

My question is - is this really possible in real life? Sign players, bring them to the club and let them train without a work permit?

sounds extremely strange

Edited by ravenation

On 29/11/2018 at 21:16, StevehFC said:

YBIKk3T.png

Here's mine. Safe to say it's  a hard brexit? 

I wouldn't have especially said so, you get to recruit players of any nationality as long as they are first team international players. That's actually a lot more open for lower FIFA ranked countries that often have good players but you can't get under the original rules.