Manchester United Thread 2015/16

Harryseaess

• Replies 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Stan Collymore in talking sense shocker!

I agree with a whole lot of what he says.

It is interesting to see his goals and assist counts for United, he has been a phenomenal player.

I mean he's going to be one of those who is like Giggs, everyone will revise their opinions and go 'he was a bit pap that guy' then be utterly stunned when they see he's got 310 assists and 168 goals - that's 478 goals Giggsy has been involved in... Staggering. (Rooney is 230 goals and 135 assists at the start of this season in 479 games, that's 365 goals he's been involved in, which isn't shabby as a striker, but Giggs... damn...)

With Phil there already knowing about the players at the club and what Gary has to work with, he's got a decent setup awaiting him. A tough as **** first game against Lyon though. Let's see how he does. Not only could it make or break his chances of getting the United or England job, but after the failure of Moyes there'd been talk about the damaged reputation of British coaches abroad.

He wants it too, its been discussed on the RI private forum that he and Giggs see each other as rivals for it. I hope he does well. If he's anything like his brother it might be a struggle.

I think it's quite obvious to anyone that he's nothing like his brother. I know both of them to some extent (Gary more) and they're completely different.

He obviously ranks quite a bit above Phil in my estimations but its not a guarantee he's going to be any good. I'd like him to be but every now and again he comes out with a really stupid comment that makes me wonder.

Tbf doesn't this go for basically anyone involved with football? :D

Don't really care what stupid or clever stuff he says, if he wins bucket loads with them then he can have the job. But not before.

If he even wins 1 trophy in Spain it would be a success. There's so much of gap between Real & Barca and then Atletico and then the rest it's unreal.

If he's there for 3/4 years and consistently get's into the Europa League and wins one domestic trophy it would a massive success in my opinion.

If he even wins 1 trophy in Spain it would be a success. There's so much of gap between Real & Barca and then Atletico and then the rest it's unreal.

If he's there for 3/4 years and consistently get's into the Europa League and wins one domestic trophy it would a massive success in my opinion.

Still not acceptable credentials for the United job.

Finding it hard to disagree with this article. I just hope he can somehow adjust and open us up more. We played Leicester not to lose. That just doesn't make any sense.

http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2015/12/louis-van-gaal-an-exercise-in-disappointment.html

If you read his tactics book, the one from Ajax about him and the Ajax coaches, you'll see his every intention is about defensive football to such an extreme extent I think there's a line in there about only every going on the attack, or moving into attacking positions if it won't risk defensive positioning or solidarity.

Basically, it is par the course for him and his "philosophy".

There was another article, I forget where it was, squawka or somewhere, that contrasted Van Gaal and Ferguson's mentalities. Where Van Gaal is the pragmatist, he coaches 'football intelligence', he wants the players to 'think' on the ball, to make measured decisions, because if you let your heart rule your head, you'll be prone to rushing into a silly decision and costing the game. Ferguson was the opposite, he lived in the 'moment', allowing his players to operate on instinct and emotion, particularly after all the intelligent bits have failed to work. It was a fantastic read, I should find the link for you/everyone here really.

The other thing, though this is my personal observations is that Van Gaal is in the school of Moyes. Both of them like to set up to not lose. Ridiculously so. That isn't to say Ferguson never did that, but those two take it to a ridiculous extreme at times, just Van Gaal is better than Moyes at getting that to work! :p

It would seem everyone's Xmas has came early and Rooney is injured.

LVGs quotes yesterday are very worrying. Thinks the fans want us to go more route one. Hopefully just another one of his language barrier things.

A few injuries to deal with, although Rooney out in the form he has been in is a good thing. I would like to see us line up as so, although injuries mean we dont have many other options.

De Gea / Darmian Smalling Blind Young / Schneiderlin Schweinsteiger / Lingard Mata Martial /Depay

West Ham may have won away to all the so called big boys this season but they are in awful form and we should win this. That said 6 draws and 3 wins from our last 9 games with 7 scored and 3 conceded says its more likely to be a draw with very little goals in it. Fingers crossed we get that individual bit of magic that wins us a game we have set up in not to lose.

Our back 4 needs swapping around. Our full backs have seen so much of the ball and done nothing with it. Put Darmian on the right so he is crossing off his stronger foot. Put McNair in the centre because quite frankly he has been awful, people going past him in defence, poor touches and awful crossing. And Blind who has looked shaky in the centre onto the left to utilise his delivery.

Lucky not to be behind given West Ham went clean through and hit the post twice. Would like to see us create a little more. And feck me another injury to Schneiderlin.

Good first 20 minutes, but then WH managed to lock up better, and create a few good chances. A rarity in DDG almost messing it up too.

Our fullbacks are a bit cack, which is stifling our attack.

Lingard has looked good, especially in those first 20 minutes.

Archived