Manchester United Thread 2015/16

Harryseaess

• Replies 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Think we are going to start really fast tonight and create a few chances early on. If we take one we will win by 2/3 but if like against PSV we don't score then it will be another 0-0. Is that good enough for us?

2 years ago that suggestion was met with derision

To be fair two years ago his all round game was nowhere near what it is now. He's made real improvements in that area (which as his age and with playing regularly isn't surprising) but I still don't think he's the type of striker we want going forward. Having someone who is so easy to use as a battering ram, even if he has many other talents just invites that kind of football and if there's one thing that would get United fans moaning more than pass-pass-pass it's hoofball. Chelsea with Drogba were a good example of this, aside from the one season under Ancelotti they really just ignored Drogba's other strengths. Bit like England and Crouch actually, took them far too long to figure that out. I think with the players we've signed already (namely Martial and Depay) we need someone who is strong and technical enough to hold up the ball on the ground and quick enough to play in behind. That and they need to be able to score plenty of goals of course.

To be fair two years ago his all round game was nowhere near what it is now. He's made real improvements in that area (which as his age and with playing regularly isn't surprising) but I still don't think he's the type of striker we want going forward. Having someone who is so easy to use as a battering ram, even if he has many other talents just invites that kind of football and if there's one thing that would get United fans moaning more than pass-pass-pass it's hoofball. Chelsea with Drogba were a good example of this, aside from the one season under Ancelotti they really just ignored Drogba's other strengths. Bit like England and Crouch actually, took them far too long to figure that out. I think with the players we've signed already (namely Martial and Depay) we need someone who is strong and technical enough to hold up the ball on the ground and quick enough to play in behind. That and they need to be able to score plenty of goals of course.

Do you have any names in particular as to who fits those criteria?

What a **** day. My grandma died last night :( Hopefully Manchester United manage to put a slight but temporary dampener on that sad feeling this evening. Won't be easy though. Wolfsburg will be no walk-over, they barely ever lose at home, and I reckon we need to win.

I am ever so sorry to read about that, you have my deepest sympathies.

Really sorry to hear that :(.
I am ever so sorry to read about that, you have my deepest sympathies.

Thanks guys. Not had the best of days, so I hope United can put on a good show in a few hours, or at least get the result we need to go through. I expect we need a win since PSV are at home, but if we can get through with a draw, then by all means get the draw, even if it's another 0-0.

If this was a SAF team, even with the exact same football, I don't think a soul would have uttered a thing. Until we crashed out of the CL. A few points off the top spot in the league after 15 matches is hardly a horrible position to be in (although form lately is a concern). Like he always used to say, if we are in the running at the turn of the year, we have a chance.

Of course, if SAF had this squad (though he would never have sold so many strikers), we'd probably be 10 points clear by now. But I also think it's fair to say that so many kids wouldn't have gotten the chance.

Everton don't really use him as a battering ram or play hoofball though, his all round game for them is great now.

What you've described as an ideal striker is basically exactly what Lukaku is this season.

Everton don't really use him as a battering ram or play hoofball though, his all round game for them is great now.

What you've described as an ideal striker is basically exactly what Lukaku is this season.

I think Dion confused Lukaku with Benteke. Lukaku fits exactly what he mentioned there and is definitely not a battering ram......the curse of being a physical specimen ;)

Varela getting his first start in such an important game. Pretty risky. Hope it pays off. Otherwise the team picks itself really. Carrick for Fellaini the only real choice I guess, or possible Young for Varela.

Crossing my fingers we pull through...

I think Dion confused Lukaku with Benteke. Lukaku fits exactly what he mentioned there and is definitely not a battering ram......the curse of being a physical specimen ;)

Everton still play their fair share of long balls up to him, they play more long passes than West Ham etc. that are typically counterattacking teams anyway. I wasn't disparaging about his all round game anyway, in fact I was complimentary. The issue is teams will take the easy way out when they have the option.

Fellaini has no tactical intelligence to play where he's playing and unfortunately Schweinsteiger is too old to keep up with the play.

Schweinsteiger would be fine if he had someone with leg's and abit of talent next to him.

I think this is probably the one time I'd advocate moving to the 532.

Take the defensive responsibility away from the two young full backs and let them bomb on. Fellaini Mata and schweinsteiger to try and control midfield whilst the pace of Martial and Memphis or Lingard can trouble them

That's what I meant, Fellaini is wondering off leaving him on his own. He hasn't got the legs to do it on his own.

Wasn't having a go at you, Just it was alway's going to be a problem.

Guess that's why we don't attack, we are just woefully lacking.

Wolfsburg are a poor side and we are making them look like world beaters.

'Poor side'

:D

Good one.

We're a shambles at the back, partly down to the two FBs, should have conceded four in that first half. Martial took his chance well, will give him a lift. Our midfield is almost non existant which is causing us all sorts of problems, Basti not exactly got the legs when playing alongside a tactically inept Fellaini.

I think this is probably the one time I'd advocate moving to the 532.

Take the defensive responsibility away from the two young full backs and let them bomb on. Fellaini Mata and schweinsteiger to try and control midfield whilst the pace of Martial and Memphis or Lingard can trouble them

To be honest, I think if we went 532 we would get murdered on the wing's. Memphis I thought looked really dangerous when he came on against West Ham has been very poor tonight.

Archived