Manchester United Thread 2015/16

Harryseaess

• Replies 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Before he scored, I was going to complain that it is a bit specious to put so much reliance and pressure on a 19 year old as the tip of our spear after arriving from a less physical, lower quality league where he primarily played on the left. But, never mind. :D

What the **** was Rooney doing there? Don't think he had one positive contribution in that half. Get Herrera on for him now!

Agreed, he's been *****.

People think he's a 10 but he's not, he can't find the space in between the lines like Silva, Ozil, etc. all do.

That was a frantic last couple of minutes. Dave back to his best. Martial is great at anticipating any potential mistake the oppo will make. Enjoyed chanting "What a waste of money" in the comfort of my own home, which turned out the fans were also chanting the same thing in the stadium :D I'll take that win, at least it was a good match for once. Gave us more of a challenge than Liverpool too.

Apart from carrying Rooney for the most part, we actually looked really good from the end of the first half through to about 75 mins. After that it was a classic 'depend on a mixture of David de Gea and luck' frantic finish from us.

Apart from carrying Rooney for the most part, we actually looked really good from the end of the first half through to about 75 mins. After that it was a classic 'depend on a mixture of David de Gea and luck' frantic finish from us.

I can't believe how accurate and relevant this is for a good season and a half.

44 passes for that 3rd goal apparently. Nice!

Just been back to watch the third goal. 45 passes leading to Memphis' shot that hit the post. So, if you want to count his shot deflecting to Mata off the post, then 46 unbroken touches for our players. Also had possession for about 2m 20s.

That third goal was a bit like watching United of old. Patient build up, not forcing anything but actually trying to open things up, and doing so when you've earned it by getting Memphis in on goal. Unlucky not to score, but great composure from Mata. The trouble is, other than that it was the same old United we've had for the past30 odd months.

de Gea made some immense saves again today, he really is a 10-15 point goalkeeper. Great reactions for the first shot on their first goal, fantastic claw away from Fonte's header and another solid save near the end.

I have to say though, I am massively worried by our constant inability to win any headers inside our own box. We must have the worst record of every side in the league for winning headers in our own box from opposition corners. Used to be that the defensive team would win the majority of headers in their own box but we rarely do, and it is a huge worry.

Martial really did show signs of what an amazing talent we may have on our hands today. Great composure and some very skillful touches. When he and Memphis are more attuned to each other and in full flow, it's hard not to get a little giddy about just what we may witness from those two terrorising defences together.

Rooney was poor again. We had one attack when 3-1 up iirc where we outnumbered their defenders and he just sloppily stabbed it forward and the defender intercepted. He could so easily have played a pass that would have put one of the two players that were up with him through on goal, but it was just the usual casual mess I've come to expect from him as the norm. Would genuinely be happy to see him go in the summer as long as we replaced him with a top quality striker like Muller, for example.

It's still all too slow, in general, but Memphis and Martial have injected some pace and directness that is great to see.

Ultimately, it was a fine result today, but the performance left a lot to be desired. If anything we won more through luck than judgement. Mata was offside for the first goal, and the second was gifted to us by Yoshida. Pelle should have scored soon after his first, as well as the other chances that were well saved that I mentioned earlier, whilst we didn't create much else other than the goals we scored.

Well that was... interesting.

Martial was quality, cool as a frozen cucumber covered in menthol. Some of his interplay with Mata and Memphis was excellent. Emineminem?

Rooney was rubbish, some of his play suggested he was simply for ball retention, but then his shocking passing ruined it, would have been better with Herrera there.

Smalling was ok, there were just moments where he and Blind didn't seem to know what to do. Schneiderlin and Carrick were too deep in possession and too high without, which didn't help.

Dave :thup: :thup:

Schweinsteiger was excellent

Everyone else was meh.

Well that was... interesting.

Martial was quality, cool as a frozen cucumber covered in menthol. Some of his interplay with Mata and Memphis was excellent. Emineminem?

Rooney was rubbish, some of his play suggested he was simply for ball retention, but then his shocking passing ruined it, would have been better with Herrera there.

Smalling was ok, there were just moments where he and Blind didn't seem to know what to do. Schneiderlin and Carrick were too deep in possession and too high without, which didn't help.

Dave :thup: :thup:

Schweinsteiger was excellent

Everyone else was meh.

Didn't watch the game but I'm guessing once Bastian was on the pitch the midfield picked up their game?

In any case with Martial, Bastian, de Gea (like a new signing) and Depay, United have had one of their best transfer windows in years. Schneiderlin and Darmian haven't been too bad either on the whole.

- nonsense from blind at LB for the late goal

- nonsense from smalling on occasion

- nonsense from rooney in general

- nonsense darmian for valencia sub

- nonsense carrick/schneiderlin duo

otherwise great from de gea and martial, good from schweinsteiger, and up into 2nd :thup:

Darmian was poor, though, so I understand that sub. He has played a lot, so maybe a bit tired? Not been as solid as his first games for us. Big change going from the more slow-paced Italian league to the blitzing PL also I reckon.

The lack of a solid CB signing could really hurt us this season. We're a Smalling injury away from collapse back there.

Loved Neville's obvious frustration and bafflement at Wilson's exclusion. While I'm not in the camp that he's an absolute cert to become a United player but he should really be getting some game time sooner rather than later. I do wonder if he's on some strength building regime to better equip him to dealing with the step up now he's staying? It would certainly benefit him. Maybe that's too logical and it's just a Van Gaalism.

Schneiderlin and Carrick were too deep in possession and too high without, which didn't help.

Hits the nail on the head, no surprise we were much better once Schweinsteiger came on to offer a better, more mobile link between defence and attack. There were plenty who suggested he was done at the top level, so so wrong.

Big change going from the more slow-paced Italian league to the blitzing PL also I reckon..

Serie A isn't really that slow-paced anymore, but nonetheless it's a big culture difference. I thought he was being ripped apart so a good decision to bring him off for Valencia, who was solid at least.

So two points off top, must be crap eh? Before anyone goes off about not comparing, isn't it a league where your points are compared to others? Agree with iceman actually, so much we are so **** talk going on yet we're not doing too badly at the moment! Yes things aren't perfect, yes Rooney is meh at the moment but you know what, we're two points behind the leaders and I'm happy with that at this stage of bedding in our new signings. Martial and Memphis looking good so far. Smalling proving we do have a CB. Think Jones will do the same if he remains fit but realise I'm in a minority there.

Thought Rojo looked ok at LB but Darmian was poor and deservedly came off. Carrick and Schneiderlin together are too defensive minded even away from home and would prefer Schweinsteiger or Herrera there instead.

Archived