Manchester United Thread 2015/16

Harryseaess

• Replies 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Meanwhile, Ronaldo has reached 500 professional career goals (501, in fact).

That 323 of those have come in 308 Madrid games kind of shows that Madrid actually shafted us with the fee ffs :D

It's crazy. We could've gotten twice as much for him would still feel shafted. He's been unreal.

Props to smalling. He's been solid as of late.

Oh wow Man Utd actually got GIVEN a free kick

Had to rub my eyes, akin to if a pig went flying past my window.

Bit more messy when Schweinsteiger went off, but we rode it out and got three well-deserved points. Missed an awful lot of big chances, so not a good game in that sense, but at least we created them, which is definitely positive.

Mike Mata MOTM. Both were immense.

Interesting to see Mata cite physical tiredness as the reason for the scrappy backs-to-the-wall job at the end - not much rotation going on lately beyond the CM pair.

Gonna ask since the analysts on my stream raised it so I know I'm not watching a different game - for all the criticisms of pretty much ever other player for their goal, can anyone tell me what Smalling was doing? Again?

I've not seen anyone be criticised but Blind and Valencia. He gets drawn towards the ball when he probably should have held his position, academic however when he's left 2v1 by Blind going AWOL. Probably been spending too much time with Phil Jones in training as that's one of his specials.

Newcastle take it to the corner in the 91st minute of a must win CL game when the previous 20+ they were camped in their box? I must have missed that.

No, they were 2-2 at the time and they had a corner. We wasted at least 90 seconds from the breakdown of the freekick, it's a decent tactic if you have a corner or throw-in and the opposition can squash you into one half of the pitch, with a central freekick in shooting range it's completely counter productive.

Newcastle were drawing and could have won it. We were already winning. So yeah, clearly the same. Are you arguing for the sake of it now or do you really believe the ball in our possession for the last minute and a half is a worse option that hitting a shot from that far out, which as it turned out hit the wall and could have gone anywhere? On top of the last 20 mins of being camped in our box not able to get out?

Forget it, I don't care.

Hopefully Smalling ran off his knock. Don't really want to be going into the next few games with a Jones/Blind CB pairing.

You stick the ball in their corner and it's 30 seconds at most then a 50/50 chance it goes out for a goal kick and they bung it back up the field. If you're desperate to waste time from that position you fake up to shoot and then just pass it backwards and recycle possession. Would still be very silly to not just have a shot from that position though, the team has to grow some balls at some point.

Definitely the referee, he had a shocker. At least Rooney worked hard and scuffed a ball off our line. Some of our good attacking display came through him as well. I maintain he gets way more stick than is warranted.

I think incidents such as his miss and tackling himself mid rubbish dribble warrant a bit of stick to be fair.

Some of his link up play was nice but he needs to do a lot more.

Oh I agree, that stumble on the counter was kind of amusing. People criticising him only seem to see these things though, and are (near) blind to anything positive he contributes with. If he actually was as crap and useless as people claim all the time, he wouldn't play, it's that simple really.

Based on the comments on Rooney from oddly many fans, you'd think it was an undroppable Bellion or something.

Just watched the game. Good result but we rode our luck at times, the last 15 minutes especially.

I actually want to sex Smalling. Amazing how much he has come on in seemingly such a short time, he is like a completely new player. Hopefully he just continues getting better at the rate he is because he'll be phenomenal by the end of the season. It's like Rio without the showy risktaking. Schweinsteiger was so good at breaking up play in midfield and winning the ball back, so great to watch.

Rooney and Memphis were pretty poor. Rooney his usual quiet, sloppy self. Memphis just has pretty much no end product at the minute, so infuriating to watch. Decision making is woeful. Mata can be so easy on the eye at times, lovely flick for Smalling's goal. Not a fan of this 2-wingers-at-fullback thing we have going on.

Referee was poor, too. Schneiderlin was never a yellow.

Will need to play much better against Everton as we can't rely on riding our luck again like last night.

EDIT: Oh and I meant to add, what is it about the name Owen that makes you a terrible commentator. Michael Owen usually on BT Sport so was delighted to see it was someone else. After a few minutes of Owen Hargreaves I almost wanted Michael back :(

The thing with Rooney for me is more than just his contribution. Its the status he holds in the squad being a blocker for other people. We can't go and buy a world class striker because we have Rooney, or if we did then whoever is playing 10 would miss out. If he was scoring/assisting 40 goals a season then it would be alright but in my opinion his output is squad player level.

I think his commercial value to the club above all else helps him maintain his spot. I think LVG has lost faith in him as a striker, already playing Martial there by preference and if the performances at 10 continue it will be interesting to see what happens.

I completely agree with this. I have this argument with my cousin and uncle at pretty much every game. It's getting to the point where Rooney is hindering the team, we can't leave him out yet he isn't performing.

I completely agree with this. I have this argument with my cousin and uncle at pretty much every game. It's getting to the point where Rooney is hindering the team, we can't leave him out yet he isn't performing.

Imagine how much better we'd be with Memphis, Herrera and Mata behind Martial.....Rooney's just holding us back at the minute.

he's been holding us back for a while and will continue to do so as he hopelessly declines even further into his 30s. he needs dropping immediately for herrera, pereira... or basically anyone else who can function as #10. is honestly like playing with 10 men most of the time. make schweinsteiger our undroppable captain instead.

The thing with Rooney for me is more than just his contribution. Its the status he holds in the squad being a blocker for other people. We can't go and buy a world class striker because we have Rooney, or if we did then whoever is playing 10 would miss out. If he was scoring/assisting 40 goals a season then it would be alright but in my opinion his output is squad player level.

I think his commercial value to the club above all else helps him maintain his spot. I think LVG has lost faith in him as a striker, already playing Martial there by preference and if the performances at 10 continue it will be interesting to see what happens.

I think LVG saying Rooney can score 25 isn't just a belief, but an expectation privately. We've seen how ruthless he can be with his favoured players. It's no secret we made multiple bids for Muller too, and when you add that we have more leadership in Bastian (something that in fairness Rooney had and offered) you can see his permanent position under threat in the summer if this (almost certainly) continues.

Rooney gets far too much hassle at times. But he doesn't help himself, he is incredibly inconsistent. When he's on fire, he's ridiculous to watch, he was fantastic at times earlier on in the season, that one touch, nutmeg, dribble through the entire defence move was stunning, but he just doesn't do it often enough. When he's having a dodgy day, it is apparent. Misplaced passes, which leads to people getting jittery when he has the ball in our half cos you know he's going to do a cross field ball to their centre mid!

I also don't think he did himself any favours going against Sir Alex when it was apparent he was being relegated to the number 10 role, of which others were better than him anyway. He might have got some reprieve with Moyes, but Van Gaal is the second top tier manager to basically say 'yeah, no, you're not a striker.' I get the feeling that might have had a massive impact on his form at the moment, a realisation that he's coming to the end of it.

Still rate him highly, just at this point he's never going to improve those aspects of his game.

I agree with having Herrera in the middle at number 10, guy has an eye for goal and an eye for a pass.

It's hard seeing this as just a rough patch for Rooney as opposed to Rooney just being old and bad.

He's never been super consistent (except for that one season) in regards to goal scoring. And I doubt he's going to be this bad all season. I just get the feeling that, at this point, his rough patches are going to be much longer than his not so rough patches. I hope I'm wrong tho. I'd like to see him perform well since it looks like Van Gaal's gonna play him regardless. At least right now.

It really isn't.

He gets just about no stick from the crowd, (the constant chanting of his name nauseating), and the media are always on his side. He's had a free ride for ages now. To even think for a second he gets too much hassle is laughable.

He gets just about no stick from the crowd, (the constant chanting of his name nauseating), and the media are always on his side. He's had a free ride for ages now. To even think for a second he gets too much hassle is laughable.

He gets too much stick from the armchair fans to be honest. People underrate him severely, but I think this article puts it forward better than I ever will: http://www.squawka.com/news/why-wayne-rooneys-world-class-status-is-misunderstood-not-rubbish/174676

He gets too much stick from the armchair fans to be honest. People underrate him severely, but I think this article puts it forward better than I ever will: http://www.squawka.com/news/why-wayne-rooneys-world-class-status-is-misunderstood-not-rubbish/174676

I agree, which is what I have mentioned a couple of times earlier. He's not as brilliant as he was at his best, but based on the comments by certain sections of fans (tom can be an example in this thread for instance), you'd think it was an actual pub footballer or competition winner that was stuck in our team, always playing, and never doing anything right. It's simply not correct. Seems like we must always have at least one player to hate. Right now it's Rooney. At other times it's been Young, Valencia, Smalling, Jones, Cleverley, Gibson, and the list can go on. People only seem to pick up on the negatives, and ignore the positives. Going by comments and interviews, he's respected by those who truly matter though; his coaches, fellow players, and opposition players.

He's getting old, it's not something you can avoid forever. He's never been the best at adapting (his strength in versatility was always doing his normal thing where ever you put him). If he wants to remain part of the squad then he needs to reassess what he's trying to do on the football pitch, just like Scholes, Giggs, Rio etc. did, because he isn't capable of doing it consistently any more. For anyone who wants to defend him look at the number of shots per game he's had for the last 5 seasons and spot a trend. He's just not involved in games like he should be any more. For the longest time I got continual abuse from the likes of Tom and Harry for defending Rooney and I stand by what I said at the time, but ignoring his natural decline is silly. He'll have to adapt or he'll have to go, because his current performances are unacceptable.

All that of course requires a lot of dedication and focus which is not something I'm sure Rooney has in him at this stage.

Archived