Manchester United Thread 2015/16

Harryseaess

• Replies 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Also it looks like Renato Sanches is ready to sign, I've not watched much of him but heard good things. Worth 60 million euros though?

Depends on how he develops, has everything he needs to make that a bargain over his career. Time will tell, feel he would suit Mourinho rather than LVG

Not heard of this Renato Sanches so £40m seems a lot, especially for an 18 yo who has played only 15 times for Benfica and twice for Portugal. If he is another Martial then fair enough, but it seems a massive price.

Not heard of this Renato Sanches so £40m seems a lot, especially for an 18 yo who has played only 15 times for Benfica and twice for Portugal. If he is another Martial then fair enough, but it seems a massive price.

God knows how you've not even heard of him, we've been linked to him for a while now.

He was on a much cheaper contract. Benfica realised that he was worth a lot more, and moved to protect themselves from the inevitable big bids, PSG and Real Madrid are also after him.

God knows how you've not even heard of him, we've been linked to him for a while now.

I wouldn't be able to tell you anything about him bar maybe the name if I'd just read it. I simply don't visit sports sites and I've completely stopped reading most gossip stuff. "Team linked with player" just goes unnoticed these days, thankfully :D

What position does he play? Who is he the next??

Central/attacking midfield, but has played out on the left.

Quick, powerful, tricky with a hammer of a right foot. Also very raw, and plays almost on instinct. Fun and unpredictable to watch. So no way is LVG signing him.

Scott, I saw that too. Wonder if he is working of his own back, or doing work for Mourinho, who wanted a midfielder like that for one of his 5 targets.

Mourinho would definitely do better than LVG in the short term and probably play more attractive football that would win games. The problem is that you'll be in the same predicament when he inevitably leaves after one or two seasons.

It's not really the same predicament as we're currently in this post-Ferguson vacuum where nothing can ever be good again. The guy who followed him failed but was always largely expected to - the guy following him should have had an easy ride but has failed also. Mourinho's the closest thing to a sure bet and if he gets us winning again then it's a break from the past and we're out of the shadow of Fergie. If it goes to ratshit like it did at Chelsea this season then whoever comes next has a rebuilding job where he can blame issues on Jose while there's less clamour for an instant hit of success.

The talk in this thread seems to have shifted to the idea that Mourinho actively wants to leave after three years or so, which I don't think was the case during either of his Chelsea spells. By accounts it seems that much of the problems with players come from him constantly demanding improvement, pushing them 'too hard'. Yet whenever there's an acrimonious departure there seems to be a core, typically of driven players, who miss him and want to work with him again (and actively tried to undermine his replacements and get him back at Chelsea). You'd hope that the likes of Shaw, Herrera, Basti, Schneiderlin and Martial, plus those left over from Fergie's time (including the yougsters) would have the mentality to try and meet his expectations.

On youngsters, it'd be good if someone could do some analysis on his use of them like dion did to dismiss the 'negative football' myth. I don't doubt that he's reluctant to blood youngsters and I don't agree with his '10 minutes is all they need' spiel (though it may just be rhetoric to drive the players to perform), but I think his record is decent when it comes to playing established younger players - Carvalho, Johnson, Cole, Cech, Robben, Essien, Santon, Balotelli, Benzema, Marcelo, Higuain, Di Maria, Ozil, Varane, Courtois and Zouma would hopefully bode well for the likes of Depay, Martial, Shaw, Rashford and TFM.

It's not really the same predicament as we're currently in this post-Ferguson vacuum where nothing can ever be good again. The guy who followed him failed but was always largely expected to - the guy following him should have had an easy ride but has failed also. Mourinho's the closest thing to a sure bet and if he gets us winning again then it's a break from the past and we're out of the shadow of Fergie. If it goes to ratshit like it did at Chelsea this season then whoever comes next has a rebuilding job where he can blame issues on Jose while there's less clamour for an instant hit of success.

The talk in this thread seems to have shifted to the idea that Mourinho actively wants to leave after three years or so, which I don't think was the case during either of his Chelsea spells. By accounts it seems that much of the problems with players come from him constantly demanding improvement, pushing them 'too hard'. Yet whenever there's an acrimonious departure there seems to be a core, typically of driven players, who miss him and want to work with him again (and actively tried to undermine his replacements and get him back at Chelsea). You'd hope that the likes of Shaw, Herrera, Basti, Schneiderlin and Martial, plus those left over from Fergie's time (including the yougsters) would have the mentality to try and meet his expectations.

On youngsters, it'd be good if someone could do some analysis on his use of them like dion did to dismiss the 'negative football' myth. I don't doubt that he's reluctant to blood youngsters and I don't agree with his '10 minutes is all they need' spiel (though it may just be rhetoric to drive the players to perform), but I think his record is decent when it comes to playing established younger players - Carvalho, Johnson, Cole, Cech, Robben, Essien, Santon, Balotelli, Benzema, Marcelo, Higuain, Di Maria, Ozil, Varane, Courtois and Zouma would hopefully bode well for the likes of Depay, Martial, Shaw, Rashford and TFM.

Like the myth about defensive football it's actually not as bad as made out. As you say he's very good with established youth, but not as good as bringing players through the academy, though its better the further back you go through his career, and you can argue that neither Chelsea or Madrid will give the same space and patience as United, where it's practically demanded that youth are given a chance

every reputable football outlet eg world soccer magazine /the guardian/times etc have named this kid in their top 10 young players in the world

in fact he was in top 3 in those named and valued between 30-50m:eek:

seen him play 4 games very powerful midfield player would be a great signing but cant see him ever wanting to play for LVG as wouldn't suite his PHILOSOPHY:rolleyes:

one for jose love to see him and TFM in the middle could be fantastic....I know they are young but both are ready

Like the myth about defensive football it's actually not as bad as made out. As you say he's very good with established youth, but not as good as bringing players through the academy, though its better the further back you go through his career, and you can argue that neither Chelsea or Madrid will give the same space and patience as United, where it's practically demanded that youth are given a chance

And though there's an element of chicken and egg about it, it's not as though there's scores of ex-Chelsea youngsters tearing it up across the continent, and he's not really had his feet under the table long enough anywhere else to develop anyone.

And though there's an element of chicken and egg about it, it's not as though there's scores of ex-Chelsea youngsters tearing it up across the continent, and he's not really had his feet under the table long enough anywhere else to develop anyone.

Indeed. Not too much has changed in the last decade on how Chelsea deal with youth. Can't all be his fault.

I simply find the increasing revisionism on him interesting and amusing.

My reasons for disliking him, or rather what he does and stands for, isn't irrational. I've spelled out the reasons well enough I should think.

What revisionism?

You claimed he was defensive, you were factually incorrect. What they actually do is shut down at first sign of vulnerability, but goal scoring isn't an issue. Your reason actually felt apart in one post.

It's been shown his record with youth isn't actually completely horrible either.

I've seen lots of strange things, Pangaea admitting he's wrong about Mourinho even in the face of unassailable numerical evidence is probably a bridge too far. I doubt he even bothered reading the post lest he had to think nice thoughts about The Special one.

There is no need to attempt a conversation with someone who clearly has a irrational hate of a person.

? Like a certain female tennis player?

Really not sure why you'd think we get to wear our home kit because we qualified first :D

We qualified first because our match was earlier, not because we earned our spot in the final any quicker than Palace did.

I'd imagine they 'draw' the teams in the final like they do other rounds and who ever is first out is the home team or do a coin toss and who ever wins has the option of wearing their home kit.

Just incase we didn't already know, United are a bunch of arseholes. There's a story in the Manchester evening news about them trying to get exec members to renew for next year or they will cut the number of tickets they're allowed for the cup final.

However I've had an email too saying I'm only allowed to apply for one cup final ticket despite having two season tickets with my name on. Apparently it's in the interests of fairness to other fans. Quite happy to let me apply for aways on both, happy to let me have two tickets for crap Europa games, league cup games & literally every other game this season. Happy to take my money twice over all season. Cup final arrives & I'm only allowed one ticket.

I've got maximum cup credits on both cards but they are not allowing me to apply on one of them because it's not fair on others.

Not judging, just curious. How come you have 2 in your name?

They rang at the start of the season to tell me the seat next to mine hadn't renewed & did I want it. Obviously selling two tickets together is easier than trying to shift one for any games I cannot get to. My mate has used it all season though & gave me the money at the start of the season. So there have been games I couldn't get to due to work & vice versa.

Was told at the start of the season having two registered to one person & one bank card wasn't a problem. That tells you everything you need to know about how they struggled to shift tickets for this season as even four or five years ago they wouldn't have allowed it.

So I'll apply & pro ay get a cup final ticket but give it to my mate as it's a bit harsh he's used a ticket all season for me to nit then give him the opportunity for a cup final.

What revisionism?

You claimed he was defensive, you were factually incorrect. What they actually do is shut down at first sign of vulnerability, but goal scoring isn't an issue. Your reason actually felt apart in one post.

It's been shown his record with youth isn't actually completely horrible either.

I've seen lots of strange things, Pangaea admitting he's wrong about Mourinho even in the face of unassailable numerical evidence is probably a bridge too far. I doubt he even bothered reading the post lest he had to think nice thoughts about The Special one.

See, this is the kind of stuff I find increasingly hilarious. A year back he was a defensive minded despicable character that would only trust youths as far as he could toss them. Judging by your talk, all of that is apparently horsecrap. I've watched football long enough to differentiate between a defensive approach and an offensive one. And when you even start talking about Mourinho not being so bad with youths, then all I can do is laugh in wonder at the revisionism. Like I said before, people probably have him as our next manager in their heads already, so the excuses are at the ready. If he for some reason doesn't become our next manager, maybe things will normalise again.

Has anybody lost a season ticket before? I had 4 in my wallet and somehow one isn't there anymore, don't know where it could have gone, searched everywhere.

What's the policy? Report it and they block the card and issue a new one? The problem is that the season ticket is in my cousins name and he lives in London now so doesn't make many games, is he going to have to be the one to pick up the new ticket?

See, this is the kind of stuff I find increasingly hilarious. A year back he was a defensive minded despicable character that would only trust youths as far as he could toss them. Judging by your talk, all of that is apparently horsecrap. I've watched football long enough to differentiate between a defensive approach and an offensive one. And when you even start talking about Mourinho not being so bad with youths, then all I can do is laugh in wonder at the revisionism. Like I said before, people probably have him as our next manager in their heads already, so the excuses are at the ready. If he for some reason doesn't become our next manager, maybe things will normalise again.

Again, you're competely ignoring the fact you've been shown to be categorically wrong on the defensive football thing. But just keep pretending it was never posted, that won't make you look less silly at all. You can't revise the number of goals scored, it's a matter of public record. You can let your pretty hate get in the way of admitting you're wrong though.

@Coldberg that does seem incredibly harsh, it's not as if you'd be planning to sit across 2 seats.

Archived