Football Manager 2014 - Update 14.2.2 - Feedback Thread

It's not a case of 'turning a good tactic bad' or vice versa. You can have a good, solid tactic and still lose a game if the opposition take their chances and you don't. But like I said, just like in real life, the first goal in a game is crucial. It can all come down to how you (or the AI) responds to it.

I understand what you're saying and you're right. But how I can decide if tactic was good or bad when it produced two different matches ? One where my team destroys opponent and one in which i'm destroyed ?

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I understand what you're saying and you're right. But how I can decide if tactic was good or bad when it produces two different matches ? One where my team destroys opponent and one in which i'm destroyed ?

Maybe the best way to do it is look at it over more than one or two matches?

This is sort of a cheat but, whenever a new patch is released or when i'm working on a new tactic, i make sure fluidity is at 100%, save and then play 10 or so matches and study them to see what is going wrong and try and figure out why.

Yesterday i spent 4 hours doing this. That may not sound like a lot of fun (though, i enjoy it) and not everyone will have to do it (somebody like WWFan or Cleon would probably have it sussed in one game) but it's what works for me.

I hope you get it sorted and continue playing as I'm of the opinion that this is far and away the best version of FM yet.

I understand what you're saying and you're right. But how I can decide if tactic was good or bad when it produced two different matches ? One where my team destroys opponent and one in which i'm destroyed ?

You can't really tell if a tactic is good or bad in just one match! Besides, as important as tactics can be, there's many other factors that can decide the outcome of a match. Even the worst teams can find that spark from somewhere, just look at Sassuolo's display against Milan the other week. Followed up by an utterly insipid 0-2 home loss this weekend. It's the unpredictable nature of football that keeps people going back. SI have captured that side of the game extremely well in their recent releases.

In my recent save I played a Europa cup game and won 3-0 away from home to Aalborg BK, that weekend I drew 3-3 with Motherwell at home after being 3-1 up at half time. So why did my normally solid defence go so bad, simply put my CB who was averaging 7.2 decided to have a mare of a game and I had to hook him in the 2nd half, his replacement didn't fair any better and the game was drawn instead of won. These things happen, maybe if I'd changed things quicker, or even tweaked the tactics in game but I never and dropped 2 points.

In my recent save I played a Europa cup game and won 3-0 away from home to Aalborg BK, that weekend I drew 3-3 with Motherwell at home after being 3-1 up at half time. So why did my normally solid defence go so bad, simply put my CB who was averaging 7.2 decided to have a mare of a game and I had to hook him in the 2nd half, his replacement didn't fair any better and the game was drawn instead of won. These things happen, maybe if I'd changed things quicker, or even tweaked the tactics in game but I never and dropped 2 points.

But that's different scenario. I'm talking about two matches (one replayed because of game crash) with one opponent. I did mention how different those games where - like night and day, like Barcelona vs amateurs and amateurs vs Barcelona, very one sided. All this within the same settings (line ups, role and duties, team talks, oi's, even morale and so on) I will make it as simple as possible - After first match you can conclude that choosen tactic was superb and carry on but after second I would find my tactic awful. How I can decide was it bad or good basic on that ?

But that's different scenario. I'm talking about two matches (one replayed because of game crash) with one opponent. I did mention how different those games where - like night and day, like Barcelona vs amateurs and amateurs vs Barcelona, very one sided. All this within the same settings (line ups, role and duties, team talks, oi's, even morale and so on) I will make it as simple as possible - After first match you can conclude that choosen tactic was superb and carry on but after second I would find my tactic awful. How I can decide was it bad or good basic on that ?

I'm sorry but you absolutely cannot come to that conclusion after 1 match as you lack data.

There could be any number of things that caused the performances.

However, if you really think it's a bug then upload the .pkm to the bugs forum and let those guys have a look at it.

Ah! I see what you mean now, sorry for not understanding.

Although the same set up is used for both games, there should always be a different scenario, whether you win each time but with a different score or even a defeat. No two games will ever be identical, the ME should make sure of that, you have to take into consideration, team talk/players mentalities/the AI team playing better than the 1st game/errors from players which didn't occur the 1st time round, there are so many variables to take into consideration. This is one of the reasons we mostly love the game, it's because the games are now so complicated that they'll replicate real life. Take last nights Chealsea v Man U, play the game again with the same players and tactics, the Man U team may play a lot better, E'to might miss a couple of the chances he got 1st game, different game = different set of circumstances and game play.

All this within the same settings (line ups, role and duties, team talks, oi's, even morale and so on)

Also, this is something people tend to miss out on. You say the line ups, roles, duties and team talks, etc were all the same. What you're forgetting is there's another team out there. You have no way of knowing how the AI manager conducted his team talk, or whether he tweaked the roles and duties for his team. There will have been quite a different approach by both of you after the first goal went in, which has sent the game down a wildly different path.

Also, this is something people tend to miss out on. You say the line ups, roles, duties and team talks, etc were all the same. What you're forgetting is there's another team out there. You have no way of knowing how the AI manager conducted his team talk, or whether he tweaked the roles and duties for his team. There will have been quite a different approach by both of you after the first goal went in, which has sent the game down a wildly different path.

I mentioned this also befor. I did scout them I knew what formation they are going to use, who will be playing deeper in midfield, how makes key passes, that they will use wingers I knew that one of their strikers will drop deeper i knew that second one is fast and so one...Basic on that knowledge I adpoted my tactic which in first match resulted in outstanding performance of my team. Second match - they used the same players so I assume that they didn't change their approach. How that ended I already told.

Somehow after advancing through the years the issue with too many goals becomes a problem, even at higher leagues. I am managing in Spain season 2022 and teams are scoring and conceding a lot of goals. Almeria has 55-57 goal record in just 22 games and last year they finished with 71-101. Now it seems they will go for 100-100.

Also almost all relegation candidates are conceding more than 80 goals per season and even a mid-table team like Valencia has 70-70 record after the whole season

In the 2nd match, when did they score the first goal?

They scored in : 33,37(it was 2-0 but could be more). 28 shoots, 15 on target, 53% possesion whilst in first match they had smth like 2 shoots. I may say that first match and second were pretty similar in terms of stats and game flow it just once went for me and second time for them.

They scored in : 33,37(it was 2-0 but could be more). 28 shoots, 15 on target, 53% possesion whilst in first match they had smth like 2 shoots. I may say that first match and second were pretty similar in terms of stats and game flow it just once went for me and second time for them.

What are the respective quality of the teams? Are you similarly matched? Were they on a good/bad run at the time? Were you? When did you score first in the first game?

You don't have to answer all that, I'm merely making the point that there is so much more goes into the outcome of a game than what the team line up and roles/duties at the start of the game are. It's not a simple case of 'If I make sure I do A then B will happen'. It's more a case of 'If I make sure I do A, B should happen, but oh no, here comes C and D this time, and aw feck, E and F have joined in too'.

Bad analogy aside, that's the crux of it. It's much, much better to determine how solid your tactic is by analysing it over the course of a number of games, half a season even. That way you'll have played all the other teams once and you'll have a better idea of your tactic's strengths and weaknesses.

My advice would be to stop being hung up on this one game. It doesn't prove anything either way.

I wonder how many years will pass until SI look into confidence algorithms. Winning against Real Madrid away in the CL - 60% happiness. Winning against rivals 1:0 at home - 100% happiness. Beating same rivals 2:0 away - 70 happiness. Just had a 3:0 lead collapsing to 3:3 against an 11th placed team - 54% happiness. What?

I wonder how many years will pass until SI look into confidence algorithms. Winning against Real Madrid away in the CL - 60% happiness. Winning against rivals 1:0 at home - 100% happiness. Beating same rivals 2:0 away - 70 happiness. Just had a 3:0 lead collapsing to 3:3 against an 11th placed team - 54% happiness. What?

Is it something you have raised before?

If you are passionate enough about getting perceived issues investigated, then a trip to the Bugs Forum is in order.

I can't recall many people raising this as an issue in this thread, or any of the preceding feedback threads, which implies that it isn't an issue that many people pick up on, or consider to be significant.

I was wondering if this was a bug and has been raised, but i have noticed that during matches betweem me and the si and si vs si, that alot of goals are scored exactly on 47 minutes, and that a lot of teams seem to score 2 goals within the first 10 mins ( usually 2nd and 7th minute)

For those having issues with set-pieces have you actually tried doing something about it? Or are you just leaving it? Reason I say this is because since I've tweaked a few things like looking at who my tallest players are for example like my right winger is my 2nd tallest player so instead of just sending him back I have him marking a tall player. Plus I've don't have players on the posts anymore which means I have more players able to win the header. Little tweaks can make such a difference if you're willing to take a bit of time.

Of course I'm still conceding some goals from set-pieces but nothing like it was when I was just on default settings.

I continue to see weird results around my team, and weird results IN my games too.

I really can't understand why, on January 20, the game it's still in these conditions. Too many times the results came without logic, the corners and free-kick are really too dangerous, the wingers sucks ecc ecc.

But the thing that i hate the most it's the AI: if you mistake a tactic, the players simply forget the basics, they can't stop the ball, pass, tackle or sometimes even run AND NO, there is no way that a wrong tactic reduces a player to the level of an amateur, if you wrong the tactic you got to be punished TACTICALLY, and it never happen.

Also, the AI of the opponents it's always the same: there is no difference playing against Mourinho or against Vincenzo Esposito, both Chelsea or Prato will attacks your weakness in the same way.

If i had a good FM i will play to death and never came in this forum, this year's edition it's not like this and surely no one want it. But it's a fact, i can do a promising and good career with a team (right now i have a good adventure with Sassuolo) but the feeling about this game it's still the same. And oh my god how it's ugly the 3D, how many times the players stand still with no reason, how many times you see the keepers rush out avoiding the ball...and these damn f***** corners...i wonder how it's possible to do worst of FM13 if this is the sequel.

And i know that maybe it's my tactic, but believe me: it's nothing about my team or my career, that instead is good. It's the absolutely unrealistic things that i see every time i play.

EDIT: Right now i've just won a match against Internazionale: 2 on 1, i've made 4 shots and they 12. Winning goal came like this: powerful passing with no destination by my midfielder, the ball it's going out but the keeper rush out and try to avoid the...goal kick? Then the ball hit the keeper on the back, he remains still waiting who knows what. My forward run, and run, and run - he is very distance from the ball - then he arrive and - while the keeper STILL STANDS STILL - shoot the ball into the net. GOOOAAAL!!!

Absolutely ridicoulous.

But this is the point I'm making though. People are really quick to come on and fire insults towards the developers because there's an 'unrealistic amount of corners and own goals'. You know, along the lines of 'you've had months to sort this out...unfinished product...we're all just beta testers' etc etc etc.

And yet, this craving for realism seems to go on hold when you get a situation like the poster's above. To win all those trophies with Wigan in the first season is a FAR more serious issue for the game than whether you have 15 corners or hit the post four times. But will it get reported? Of course not.

People only want 'realism' when it suits.

Of course they want realism when it suits, they want it in the ME. The rest of the game is fantasy. How many complaints are there along the lines of "OMG I have been at Exeter for ten years and still haven't won the Champions League, you suck SI" Not many I'll wager. I don't mind if I cannot turn Bolton into Real Madrid, but I do mind when four of my defenders stand still and let a striker waltz thru them to score in the 98th minute.

Of course they want realism when it suits, they want it in the ME. The rest of the game is fantasy. How many complaints are there along the lines of "OMG I have been at Exeter for ten years and still haven't won the Champions League, you suck SI" Not many I'll wager. I don't mind if I cannot turn Bolton into Real Madrid, but I do mind when four of my defenders stand still and let a striker waltz thru them to score in the 98th minute.

You've sorta missed the point a bit there.

How it can be tactical when you see a player slide through 4-5 defenders in 5mq and they not even try to win the ball?

How can be the tactic when you ask your players slow tempo and short passes and they continue to kick the ball forward without destination?

This game is so frustrating in these things...

Again, i strongly suspect that the ME doesn't works in the same way with all the 22 players on the field.

Really, i don't believe it.

But this is the point I'm making though. People are really quick to come on and fire insults towards the developers because there's an 'unrealistic amount of corners and own goals'. You know, along the lines of 'you've had months to sort this out...unfinished product...we're all just beta testers' etc etc etc.

And yet, this craving for realism seems to go on hold when you get a situation like the poster's above. To win all those trophies with Wigan in the first season is a FAR more serious issue for the game than whether you have 15 corners or hit the post four times. But will it get reported? Of course not.

People only want 'realism' when it suits.

Re realism: if a sports game can only throw up "realistic" results in the teams that win then there's really not much point. The player is essentially a passenger then. May as well just watch real sport on TV. For games to work they have to be interactive, the player has to make a difference, therefore the results have to be allowed to get unrealistic. That is essential for the game to be enjoyable.

On the other hand inflated woodwork totals are in no way required to make the game enjoyable. That is an area where the developers can strive for realism without hurting the game.

Re replaying games with different results: Of course playing the same game multiple times should give different results. The best team doesn't always win. Real sport and simulated sport are both basically just weighted random number generators. But I think with FM14 right now there's not enough weight to the weighted RNG, things feel a bit too random in a way that FM13 didn't. Again this plays back into what I said above about realism - the player needs to feel like they have some control for the game to be worthwhile. Not complete control of course, your players will do what they do. But right now the balance feels a little off.

The above is a subjective feeling, I'm sure someone with the time and inclination could look at the variance in results in FM and compare with real life and check whether perception is reality, but I'm not willing to go to that level of effort for a forum post. :)

Another thing: ok, if i place in the wrong way my men on the corner, i can get a goal. But why in the world everytime my players gets the ball all they do is to do an header assist for the opponents? I swear, this is soooo stupid. Why? What im wrong? Maybe in the tactic i have to select "do the right thing with your header"?

EDIT: while i was writing, left my game under 2 goals in 75°. Then i return and i win: 4-3. TOO MANY GOALS, another issue: it's ok that in real life can happen that two teams scores 5 goals in 15 minutes, but here happens way too often. In the same matchday Napoli (2°) beats Milan (1°) away: 0 - 6. Oh, come on!

Re realism: if a sports game can only throw up "realistic" results in the teams that win then there's really not much point. The player is essentially a passenger then. May as well just watch real sport on TV. For games to work they have to be interactive, the player has to make a difference, therefore the results have to be allowed to get unrealistic. That is essential for the game to be enjoyable.

Yes, I agree. In time, a player can influence it so that even the smallest club can enjoy global domination, that is one of the most enjoyable aspects of the game and always has been.

What is being discussed though is being able to win every trophy available, including a European one, with a lower division team in the very first season of the game. Years into the future it doesn't really matter what teams win what, or what division various clubs are in, but we often hear how people are disappointed in the unrealistic behaviour of teams in the opening campaign, eg Stoke finishing in the top 4 in the EPL, Roma relegated from Serie A etc. But as I said in the original post, this thirst for realism rarely comes into play when a team the player manages unrealistically overachieves in the first season. Then it just doesn't seem to matter. You can't have it both ways.

And personally, I think being able to have that level of success in Season 1 with a small club shows the game is still flawed when it comes to users being able to seriously manipulate the match engine, whereas hitting the woodwork a few more times than in real life is little more than scenery.

Yes, I agree. In time, a player can influence it so that even the smallest club can enjoy global domination, that is one of the most enjoyable aspects of the game and always has been.

What is being discussed though is being able to win every trophy available, including a European one, with a lower division team in the very first season of the game. Years into the future it doesn't really matter what teams win what, or what division various clubs are in, but we often hear how people are disappointed in the unrealistic behaviour of teams in the opening campaign, eg Stoke finishing in the top 4 in the EPL, Roma relegated from Serie A etc. But as I said in the original post, this thirst for realism rarely comes into play when a team the player manages unrealistically overachieves in the first season. Then it just doesn't seem to matter. You can't have it both ways.

And personally, I think being able to have that level of success in Season 1 with a small club shows the game is still flawed when it comes to users being able to seriously manipulate the match engine, whereas hitting the woodwork a few more times than in real life is little more than scenery.

Totally agree.

Have you considered that those users could seriously outsmart the AI instead?

Where is the boundary between "exploiting ME faults" and "exploiting AI stupidity"? What's the difference? If you see that the opponent employs two defensively incompetent midfielders in a 4231/433 and thus desides to channel all your chance creation through an attacking midfielder, and they never do anything about it (because they can't), how is that any better than throwing everyone forward and boot it up so that their defenses are overwhelmed, and they never do anything about it (because they can't)?

If you see that the opponent employs two defensively incompetent midfielders in a 4231/433 and thus desides to channel all your chance creation through an attacking midfielder, and they never do anything about it (because they can't), how is that any better than throwing everyone forward and boot it up so that their defenses are overwhelmed, and they never do anything about it (because they can't)?

Not sure about the bits in bold. I've seen plenty of matches where the AI has changed formation/made a sub when something is clearly not working in this version of the game, more than I've seen in previous versions in actual fact. It's not perfect of course, but the AI is certainly improving.

It's very conceivable that a user can outsmart the AI during a game. That's the whole essence of it after all. I'm slightly more sceptical of a user being able to do that for over 70 games in one season, in the first season of the game with a lower league club. That's where there is a flaw.

IMO.

Further feedback after around 60 matches with 14.2.1 and 14.2.2:

- in general it's a great ME, maybe the best ever

- maybe due to this good feeling, it's really annoying that we still have to cope with some horrendous flaws

- the corners are the main one, please correct it!!!

- CCC..please fix it...it's not believable the number of CCC missed, irrespective of the skills...when you're in front of the GK you cannot miss on a regular basis and fire in its arms

- own goals...of course much more than real life, but not so recurring as the issues above

- on the other hand, never experienced the counter attack matter by smallest team...i play high DL, offside, pressing and have been caught out of position really few times, as you could expect in RL

Come on SI, you're there to provide us the best ever FM, another little step!!!

I am having massive issues at present with Tactic familiarisation ever since the patch was introduced all my tactics have gone down to having no blue bar, I am not sure if the patch has caused this but at present my training has now switched to nothing but Tactics only Very High intensity and nothing has happened in 3 months.

I am having massive issues at present with Tactic familiarisation ever since the patch was introduced all my tactics have gone down to having no blue bar, I am not sure if the patch has caused this but at present my training has now switched to nothing but Tactics only Very High intensity and nothing has happened in 3 months.

Are you using general training or match training when you're setting the tactics to 'very high'?

Thats not a solution and it could cause you issues down the line. Like i say, have you tried clearing your cache? Both in game and out of the game? There was a part of that side of the game that was not working as intended on release (although it looked like it was working) they changed it which re-set a lot of peoples tactical familiarity but it will come back, i have seen people having issues having not cleared the cache after the update was applied, i would suggest at least trying it.

FMRTE is not a long term solution and your game wont be bugged when someone else's is not. All you have done is found advice from someone not interested in properly fixing the problem, which is fine if you can be arsed changing those values every few games, but its as unrealistic to have them always at 100% than it is to have them not rise.

I think being able to have that level of success in Season 1 with a small club shows the game is still flawed when it comes to users being able to seriously manipulate the match engine

Why is "manipulating" the ME to win in season one any better/worse than "manipulating" the scouting and transfer AI to win in seasons two onwards?

Why is "manipulating" the ME to win in season one any better/worse than "manipulating" the scouting and transfer AI to win in seasons two onwards?

Because as soon as you get further into the game, comparisons with what would happen in real life begin to fade. Like I said, being able to build a small club to achieve massive levels of success is perhaps not terribly realistic, but is one of the core features of the game. It's programmed specifically for that to be possible. It would be helluva dull for many people otherwise.

However, the first season in a game should, more often than not, mirror real life a lot closer. You won't have had time to build a super squad, the other stronger teams will have their current world class players still there, etc etc.

Therefore, to have that level of success in season 1 with a smaller club simply isn't right.

I daresay there will always be exploitative tactics, and if people want to use them to get success for their team, then that's fine, as it's their game. But people shouldn't get blinded so much by winning to notice that it still represents a problem with the game itself. People are quick to upload pkms when there's five more corners than the average in real life, but I'd lay my last penny that no-one has reported exaggerated levels of success early in a save as a bug. Even though that represents a far bigger issue in the development of the software.

I bought a program called FMRTE, you just load the game and set your familiarisation to 100% then just keep doing that every 2-3 games, not ideal but least it kind of works now.

Bsmaff, could you check the current version of your game?

It'll tell you on the landing screen when you first start it.

Anyone else noticing peculiar behavior from covering CB's/BPCB's in this patch?

In my game, the covering cb is stepping up as opposed to dropping back when a long ball is played from deep.

This does not happen every time but happens regularly enough and always results in me conceding a goal.

Don't have a pkm to upload at the minute but, shouldn't be long before it happens again.

Thinking it may be a bug (possibly with where the ME is placing the CB on the highlights?).

Anyone else seen it?

I noticed this as well when playing last night. It doesn't seem to be happening in every highlight as you said, but it has happened more than once. Will definitely keep an eye on it.

Just been advised "Chelsea have been given £2,000 because of a 40% sell on clause for Raphael Pernao's transfer from Deportivo Brasil to Brasilia. They will also receive an extra £16,000 over the next 42 months....."

Do not recall this player being part of my Chelsea team at all and having checked his history there is no mention of Chelsea.

Seems like a bug, not material in my save but presumably there could be other bigger windfalls for other people.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Archived