Football Manager 2014 Beta Update and Demo FEEDBACK THREAD

Mildly interestingly, the new patch has stopped my abject failures

Still haven't watched a single game or changed my tactics, but maybe the Nott's Forest Board made a masterstroke in seeing the genius of the Scottish nobody who failed at St. Johnstone, Cardiff and Leeds, as I have won most of my games including beating Chelsea twice in a week.

If they say that the patch nerfing your tactic means it was flawed from a footballing perspective all along, does this mean that I was right all along?

You've entered a parallel world where its not your tactics because in this world mate it's always your tactics.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, the new patch really screwed my tactic. It worked fine before, but now my full backs don't stop crosses anymore.

1. I don't have any good wingers, so I play through the middle without wingers.

2. I have short defenders so I struggle with crosses

3. I play short passes with slow tempo as I have technical players, but not that much pace compared to the rest of the teams.

I didn't try the patch until now, and I'm being overrun. And it's in the finishing part of the season while we are fighting for promotion.

Gonna try to build a new one now, wondering how wing backs work with the new patch...?

Wow, the new patch really screwed my tactic. It worked fine before, but now my full backs don't stop crosses anymore.

1. I don't have any good wingers, so I play through the middle without wingers.

2. I have short defenders so I struggle with crosses

3. I play short passes with slow tempo as I have technical players, but not that much pace compared to the rest of the teams.

I didn't try the patch until now, and I'm being overrun. And it's in the finishing part of the season while we are fighting for promotion.

Gonna try to build a new one now, wondering how wing backs work with the new patch...?

Why are you using a slow tempo?

Is it me or is this game getting worse with each patch. When Beta first came out I started a save in Iceland and really enjoyed it but since then patch after patch to try and rectify a bug and then seems to create an even bigger problem somewhere else. I just started a save with Coventry after updating to this latest patch only to find now the transfer system is totally knackered. The club is over wage budget and in administration so when bids come in the administrator handles it but every bid gets rejected because clubs are bidding pathetically low amounts for example Cyrus Christie worth 450k wigan bid 45k and Murphy worth 300k burnley bid 24k. So I cant cut the 10k of wage bill I am required to do because administrator keeps rejecting bids. Then the club comes out of administration and transfer embargo lifted so I offer Murphy out cause he has handed in transfer request, He has 3 championship clubs interested in him I offer him for his value 300k no takers, so I offer him for 200k no takers and the only way I can sell him is if I offer him for like 20k its like every transfer bid off a club has a zero missing off the end. Hopefully this will be fixed for final release on Thursday and I will try again then because it truly is a gamebreaker. Fingers crossed

Playing as NUFC, so far I have had very little problems re transfer offers etc. I offloaded some players for face value, rejected offers in the region of £20m for my star player and other offers around £10/14 mill for key players.

Is it me or is this game getting worse with each patch. When Beta first came out I started a save in Iceland and really enjoyed it but since then patch after patch to try and rectify a bug and then seems to create an even bigger problem somewhere else. I just started a save with Coventry after updating to this latest patch only to find now the transfer system is totally knackered. The club is over wage budget and in administration so when bids come in the administrator handles it but every bid gets rejected because clubs are bidding pathetically low amounts for example Cyrus Christie worth 450k wigan bid 45k and Murphy worth 300k burnley bid 24k. So I cant cut the 10k of wage bill I am required to do because administrator keeps rejecting bids. Then the club comes out of administration and transfer embargo lifted so I offer Murphy out cause he has handed in transfer request, He has 3 championship clubs interested in him I offer him for his value 300k no takers, so I offer him for 200k no takers and the only way I can sell him is if I offer him for like 20k its like every transfer bid off a club has a zero missing off the end. Hopefully this will be fixed for final release on Thursday and I will try again then because it truly is a gamebreaker. Fingers crossed

Just for the record they're not called patches any more :)

The very nature of Beta means that sometimes things do regress from one update to another but also of course there are people who see any change as life threatening when it isn't remotely so.

As long as we all religously report any problems we find SI will do their best to fix them and as always we'll end up with an eminently playable game.

In fact I really believe this one is going to be the best yet.

So patience please, understand what Beta really means and keep reporting problems you find :thup:

Its ok that i sign a player with no club and the game tells me that the transfer will go through in the next transfer window? Shouldnt he be able to be sign, thus training with the team, even if im not able to use him in matches? Its a question, i dont really know.

Playing as NUFC, so far I have had very little problems re transfer offers etc. I offloaded some players for face value, rejected offers in the region of £20m for my star player and other offers around £10/14 mill for key players.

Have you updated to 14.1.1? Cus I had no probs until updating to this and now it's just tits up. Did read in an earlier post that someone was receiving £1m bids for cisse when he was worth £8m

Why are you using a slow tempo?

Because, after trial and error, that seemed to work best for my players in the tactic I want to use. Before the patch I usually had around 60% possession and now I'm only seeing around 40%. Before the patch I did good, but now my team are getting pushed low by every other team for some reason and then their winger/full backs cross into the box and my short defenders can't handle opponent strikers. I have conceded 8 goals from crosses in the last 2 matches from this. I still score quite a bit, but we are helpless defensively now. I'm really surprised by this as this started just after the patch and I've only had isolated incidents where this happened before the patch.

Guess it's back to the drawing board and hope I can hold on to the promotion while tinkering.

Have you updated to 14.1.1? Cus I had no probs until updating to this and now it's just tits up. Did read in an earlier post that someone was receiving £1m bids for cisse when he was worth £8m

That's right it's already bug reported.

Its ok that i sign a player with no club and the game tells me that the transfer will go through in the next transfer window? Shouldnt he be able to be sign, thus training with the team, even if im not able to use him in matches? Its a question, i dont really know.

Depends where you are, certainly in South America they can only join your club in the window even if they are free agents.

You can write an essay about the issues with the game if it's constructive and polite friend.... what you wrote is of no use to anyone sadly.

My essay didn't even garner an acknowledgement from the powers that be, nor an explanation of how I am completely wrong and it is working as intended. Neither did my bug report on the same thing in FM 13...

Playing against 433 I always set my fullbacks to man mark (specific players) the oppositions wide men.

They are continually refusing to do this (let alone get goal side of their respective men).

Just continually being destroyed by unmarked wide players walking into the area unopposed.

I signed a South Korean player while managing Ukraine/Leeds, and he scored his first international goal for his country.

The option was there to speak to him to I did, said well done, he said "don't expect me to score a lot", and my only available responses related to being the South Korean national manager.

Just checked and it says that it is version 14.1.1 demo.

My essay didn't even garner an acknowledgement from the powers that be, nor an explanation of how I am completely wrong and it is working as intended. Neither did my bug report on the same thing in FM 13...

I'm sure there's a point you're trying to make cunningly disguised in here... but i'll be damned if i can work out what.

I just want to give my two pence worth on fm14. I have made the jump from fm12 to this for several reasons, one I didnt like the demo for fm13 so didnt want to spend out cash for it as I was enjoying fm12 still and had managed to get an update for it. I am also gonna give opinion on match engine etc but possibly will bring up what has already been mentioned, sorry. But at same time I am not going to go through 6 pages of info just to make sure!

Now the match engine, is very impressive, it is far more sleek than fm12 and looks so much better, but i have a couple of observations, and I dont think they would be classed as bugs.

(1) I dont think its just me, but for me the ball seems to be picking up speed when it bounces. Or the players should be in ice skates, the pitch sems to be like an ice rink. I dont think its a bug, and the fm13 demo was alot worse than this, but it is noticable.

(2) It came up my player was offside and the free kick that came up straight after was outside my box, impossible! You cannot be offside in your own half let alone just outside your own box! I am willing to accept that this was a separate free kick and the two were not linked though

(3) I am not sure if this is settings etc but I play as West Ham, jasskelainen has 15 for kicking yet at least couple of times barely managed to get the ball over the half way line!

Other notes are no transfer money available at West Ham again!

Positives (based on the leap from fm12 to this) Shouts make far more sense now and seem to work pretty good, although an off shoot of that is the fact there seems to be loads and loads of chances created, but it is pre season for me still at the moment.

Overall pretty impressive, and while I was willing to pass again due to finances, I am now going to try and sort out some monies to buy it!

You can write an essay about the issues with the game if it's constructive and polite friend.... what you wrote is of no use to anyone sadly.

OK maybe my attitude wasn't kindly enough but if you get 4 crash dumps in sequence, you might feel mad about it. That's why I decided to only write what I saw;

- 4 crash dumps

- Receiving an offer for his player who is currently 9.000.000€ and the transfer offer was 850.000€

- 52 shoots in a game (I'm playing with 5-3-1-1)

- Losing the save game

- Can't selling the player

- 3 corner kicks 3 goals

- 20 minutes 3 injuries

I'll post some more later..

I just want to give my two pence worth on fm14. I have made the jump from fm12 to this for several reasons, one I didnt like the demo for fm13 so didnt want to spend out cash for it as I was enjoying fm12 still and had managed to get an update for it. I am also gonna give opinion on match engine etc but possibly will bring up what has already been mentioned, sorry. But at same time I am not going to go through 6 pages of info just to make sure!

Now the match engine, is very impressive, it is far more sleek than fm12 and looks so much better, but i have a couple of observations, and I dont think they would be classed as bugs.

(1) I dont think its just me, but for me the ball seems to be picking up speed when it bounces. Or the players should be in ice skates, the pitch sems to be like an ice rink. I dont think its a bug, and the fm13 demo was alot worse than this, but it is noticable.

(2) It came up my player was offside and the free kick that came up straight after was outside my box, impossible! You cannot be offside in your own half let alone just outside your own box! I am willing to accept that this was a separate free kick and the two were not linked though

(3) I am not sure if this is settings etc but I play as West Ham, jasskelainen has 15 for kicking yet at least couple of times barely managed to get the ball over the half way line!

Other notes are no transfer money available at West Ham again!

Positives (based on the leap from fm12 to this) Shouts make far more sense now and seem to work pretty good, although an off shoot of that is the fact there seems to be loads and loads of chances created, but it is pre season for me still at the moment.

Overall pretty impressive, and while I was willing to pass again due to finances, I am now going to try and sort out some monies to buy it!

Could you send in an example of (2) please. Especially if you see this happen again.

This isn't necessarily a bug!

If no-one wants to pay more than 850,000 for him then no-one does, tough tits

With the first released version of Beta, I sold him 'Manuel Fernandes' 10.750.000€ but after 14.1.1 I couldnt sell 'Anyone' with at least their price. I hope I described it adequately.

OK maybe my attitude wasn't kindly enough but if you get 4 crash dumps in sequence, you might feel mad about it. That's why I decided to only write what I saw;

- 4 crash dumps

- Receiving an offer for his player who is currently 9.000.000€ and the transfer offer was 850.000€

- 52 shoots in a game (I'm playing with 5-3-1-1)

- Losing the save game

- Can't selling the player

- 3 corner kicks 3 goals

- 20 minutes 3 injuries

I'll post some more later..

I understand the frustration... but you have to bare in mind you are playing a beta.. a game in development still..

Most of your points above are known to the devs and are being looked at, if you find anything else of note... please post it here: http://community.sigames.com/forumdisplay.php/341-Football-Manager-2014-Pre-Release-Beta-and-Demo-Bugs-Forum

where it will get logged and looked at, if it hasn't already.

This isn't necessarily a bug!

If no-one wants to pay more than 850,000 for him then no-one does, tough tits

Nope, none issue... being looked at.

Neh, every time a team has the ball, they get a shot in. Currently averaging 20 for and 20 against no matter who I'm playing against, and there seems to be no link between player quality, strategy and possession. Both teams just charge forwards asap regardless of instructions. Super wingers are back, wild clearances abound, corner goals every match, several woodwork hits both sides every match and the keepers now save ccc's from point blank range for fun.

I see little to no hope here before March.

Because, after trial and error, that seemed to work best for my players in the tactic I want to use. Before the patch I usually had around 60% possession and now I'm only seeing around 40%. Before the patch I did good, but now my team are getting pushed low by every other team for some reason and then their winger/full backs cross into the box and my short defenders can't handle opponent strikers. I have conceded 8 goals from crosses in the last 2 matches from this. I still score quite a bit, but we are helpless defensively now. I'm really surprised by this as this started just after the patch and I've only had isolated incidents where this happened before the patch.

Guess it's back to the drawing board and hope I can hold on to the promotion while tinkering.

My reason for asking was that with a slow tempo, a team that decides to be aggressive against you defensively, might win the ball back easier if your players are taking too long on the ball either by tackling or spotting the pass and intercepting the ball. This might be a reason why your possession is lower.

I keep making offers for players, I am Liverpool, and the bids I'm offering are being rejected, the problem being the bid I enter changes to a significantly lower one when I send it. For example I am offering £2.5 million for Otavio and it keeps saying your £925k Bid was rejected. And it is doing the same with every other player I bid for.

Seems to have gone all pair shaped for me, had some good Va Va Voom going with Arsenal on 14.0.3, now can't seem to string a few passes together let alone get a win since the latest update. I'm sure the updates are going in the right direction, just a shame it brought my enjoyment to an abrupt end.

Back to the drawing board it is.

Just a small thing, but after playing 4 games in L1 as Crewe (Won 2, Drawn 1, Lost 1) I get drawn away to Stoke and apparently I'm the favorite despite Stoke putting out pretty much a first XI.

Just hope this doesn't carry over to board/fan expectations.

Seems to have gone all pair shaped for me, had some good Va Va Voom going with Arsenal on 14.0.3, now can't seem to string a few passes together let alone get a win since the latest update. I'm sure the updates are going in the right direction, just a shame it brought my enjoyment to an abrupt end.

Back to the drawing board it is.

Good luck with the drawing... Today's patch totally destroyed my tactics, the last win I had was through a hattrick from my CD on corners.

Where does our money go? Why do SI sell an annual chart-topping game yet don't appear to have an adequate bug testing team?

I'm sure the licenses for the clubs/leagues/players don't come cheap, but does this account for it all? I'm not ruling it out

Don't get me wrong I am 100% in favour of the beta methodology, I really appreciate the manner in which SI release regular updates when required and the forum support which is (normally) quite active

My reason for asking was that with a slow tempo, a team that decides to be aggressive against you defensively, might win the ball back easier if your players are taking too long on the ball either by tackling or spotting the pass and intercepting the ball. This might be a reason why your possession is lower.

Yeah. After studying the matches more thoroughly that's just what happens. They press my team down to our own third all the time, and we often lose possession to a tackle or someone thumps it upfield. Might gonna try to remove it, but we still struggle creating CCCs now.

This is what usually happened before the patch(not that I won all the time, but controlled the match), while this is what I'm seeing now. As you see I still won, but not in the way I want us to. Those are about evenly matches teams, and you can clearly see my team dominating before the patch while struggling much more now.

There is something wrong with transfer offers for me. This might be related to people getting super low offers for their players. I offer about 250k gbp or so for a player and the other team refuses my 35k offer. Somewhere there is a conversion or something going wrong. Another example of this is where I signed youth player but have to pay compensation. The compensation on the offer screen says 560k gbp but when I manage to sign the player it says I will pay 93k gbp over 3 years.

Archived