*Official* FM 13 Update 13.2.3 - Match Engine v1339 Constructive Discussion & Feedback

Try using a 352 with wingbacks...

If I wanted to focus my attacks through the wings, chances are I'd have two players on each flank.

Wing play was overpowered in the last ME, resulting in wing backs being as good as having two players on the flank. A 3-5-2 challenged the ME because of this. Now wing play is more balanced, wing backs can't dominate the flank, which is a good thing.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • SI Staff
I won 9-0 away against Torino season 6 with Lazio.

Highest score I have had in 2013.

I read this now and haven't got to the newest posts yet, should I count how many replies about this there are?

goat is the only person to bring this up so far. Again as a one off it could occur, how good is your team compared to others 6 seasons in?

I'd really recommend playing some full matches to get the flavour of this, it might take an age :D but it really does show the changes in so many areas.

A lot of the non highlight play is awsomely realistic.

I've never understood people not playing it in 'Full Match' mode Kriss.....lol

I've watched full match in every single game I've ever played, far better and much more realistic.

Matches do seem to flow better now and I don't seem to have a constant injury crisis anymore. Probably because the players seem to be tackling a bit more wisely now.

I'm inclined to agree with what's been said about the keepers, though. Seems slightly odd that the goalie doesn't even twitch when someone runs in and boots a goal. I'm aware that player errors are simulated, but how can the he not see someone running up to him?

But overall the ME seems to work decently enough now. Sure took a while to fix...but better late than never.

Doubtful that I'll buy FM14 at release though. I'll likely wait for some Steam holiday sale.

If I wanted to focus my attacks through the wings, chances are I'd have two players on each flank.

Wing play was overpowered in the last ME, resulting in wing backs being as good as having two players on the flank. A 3-5-2 challenged the ME because of this. Now wing play is more balanced, wing backs can't dominate the flank, which is a good thing.

I don't want them to dominate, I want to cross the ball now and again. When they do find someones head.

Oh, hit early crosses does not work in any way.

Lots of people seem to be having positive experiences with this new patch but I've got to say my experience (so far) has been absolutely dreadful.

Towards the end of last season I had figured out a tactic that was working brilliantly for my team I won almost all of my last 10 or 15 league games to move from mid-table Premier League to very close to getting a spot in Europe, the start of my current season was OK, 2 wins and a loss against Chelsea but since I updated to the patch I have lost every single game, excluding one League Cup game in which I was pretty lucky to win. That's, I think 8 league games on the trot that I've lost (3 to last minute goals), in none of the games, however have I been battered, I lost to Liverpool 2-0 but every other game has been either 1-0 or 2-1.

My previous tactic relied on pacy wingers playing wide and crossing in or threading through passes for my strikers to finish and it worked very well, over the summer I brought in more depth to my squad to a tactic that was working brilliantly and now I have been caught with my pants down unable to change my formation drastically enough to compensate for the fact that the threat from my wingers is now pretty much non-existent.

My two wingers consistently receive the lowest match ratings, they're constantly giving the ball away; if I use the shout to retain possession they play ridiculously difficult passes which gift the ball to the opposition, I change the player instructions to short passing they smash the ball into the corners and it's pretty infuriating.

My strikers and attacking midfielder are trying more, ridiculous long shots than they ever did pre-patch despite me telling them to attempt long shots rarely they're shooting wildly off target.

My defenders have been, on the whole OK, they are, however suffering problems which seem to be affecting my whole team. Most notably when a ball is loose my players (without exception) stand off and let the opposition take the ball freely, I have no idea what I can to do counter-act this, if I use the shout to get stuck in - nothing.

Other people seem to be noticing increased numbers of through balls; I cannot remember by teaming attempting let alone making a through ball attempt and instead just pass the ball amongst themselves until eventually they gift the ball to the opposition.

My corner tactic which, whilst never particularly noticeable in its goal productivity now seems to be creating space for my players in the box. Great! However my full backs with decent (high teens) heading attribute head wildly wide from just a few yards.

Overall, I have tried everything I can think of to counter-act the obvious changes to the game but to no avail, I continue to lose games (just) and do not know how to stop this without drastically reshaping my team, which is something I am not in the position to be able to do and do not have the players to be able to do. I fear that soon the board will sack me and the work I have done over 8 or 9 seasons to get my Doncaster team into a decent Premier League team will be wasted because of a change to how the game works.

Just my experience so far. (Rather long-winded on reflection, sorry)

Once the form is that bad it is unlikely that -any- tactic would see you turn things around to play good football again. What I recommend is to stop using that save, start another and test your way until the tactic works in there. Then you make a very very cynical defensive tactic that you test so that you know it also works. Now re-load the save above and try to grind out a result or two to improve morale.

goat is the only person to bring this up so far. Again as a one off it could occur, how good is your team compared to others 6 seasons in?

Pretty much in a league on my own in Italy. My 2-2,5 star CA youngsters are "leading star for most Serie A sides". I had to make some changes to my tactic (the one I have been using since FM11), but once it "clicked" again I have had some impressive performances in the league. I think the most important change I did was to set my wingers to "normal" instead of "cut inside" and roaming on my two strikers. Once I did those changes I went from 3-2 and then a 2-1 hard-fought victory to a nine-goal win margin. It made me think that perhaps there is a problem.

fixtures201718.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

As you can see, that one result stands out (update happened before the Sampdoria match 17th of December.

Edit: here's the PKM if you want to watch the match. http://www.sendspace.com/file/3oxt92

• SI Staff
Pretty much in a league on my own in Italy. My 2-2,5 star CA youngsters are "leading star for most Serie A sides". I had to make some changes to my tactic (the one I have been using since FM11), but once it "clicked" again I have had some impressive performances in the league. I think the most important change I did was to set my wingers to "normal" instead of "cut inside" and roaming on my two strikers. Once I did those changes I went from 3-2 and then a 2-1 hard-fought victory to a nine-goal win margin. It made me think that perhaps there is a problem.

fixtures201718.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

As you can see, that one result stands out (update happened before the Sampdoria match 17th of December.

Thanks for the information, keep an eye on it for us and if it occurs more let us know.

Amazing work SI....

I usually play Lower league, and when I noticed the lack of through balls and general attacking football, I took over some of the best teams, Barcelona, United, Juventus (pirlo) to see what the top players do.

Surprise surprise the likes of xavi, alonso, rooney did very little creative work.

Halfway through this save (napoli) I brought ganso.... he did very little again..... now this update has come out...

SURPRISE!!

Hamsik and Ganso are playing like in real life, with very good vision and the ability to make killer passes. They don't ALWAYS get it right, but at least there trying!!! Well done SI!

Can somebody please help me...I would like to update my version...(i thought steam did it automatically, which maybe it has) but when i go to start a new career game on the choose database tab it still says version 13.0.0 ...how do i update it or apply the new update? thanks alex

Can somebody please help me...I would like to update my version...(i thought steam did it automatically, which maybe it has) but when i go to start a new career game on the choose database tab it still says version 13.0.0 ...how do i update it or apply the new update? thanks alex

You probably have the new version no worries. The database version is still at 13.0.0 because the database has not been updated since original release (and won't be until the January transfer window database update released in the next month or so).

Top tip to SI - Maybe in future don't label the database versions close to format of game versions. Caused a lot of confusion this time round?

Finding that are quite a lot of defensive mistakes creeping in now, in 3 matches, there have been at least 5, all leading to goals, all from defenders, either not reaching keeper with a back pass, or passing it to a fellow defender and the other defender letting it past him/missing it, actually takes the ****, didn't happen this much on previous patch. Have I gotta sign the likes of Pique/Vidic to have a defence that won't do these kind of mistakes because with Wolves, that may be a tad difficult..

Finding that are quite a lot of defensive mistakes creeping in now, in 3 matches, there have been at least 5, all leading to goals, all from defenders, either not reaching keeper with a back pass, or passing it to a fellow defender and the other defender letting it past him/missing it, actually takes the ****, didn't happen this much on previous patch. Have I gotta sign the likes of Pique/Vidic to have a defence that won't do these kind of mistakes because with Wolves, that may be a tad difficult..

That is one thing I've noticed aswell. In about 5 games I've seen 3 times underhit headers back to the keeper from my cbs. 2 of which resulted in goals.

Started off alright in my first three games but since then the last seven have been a waste of time .

Goalies useless

Wingers no longer try and get to the bye line but always cut inside to shoot ( set to use the flanks and trained to attack down the flanks )

Central midfielders and strikers now trying to run fifty yards and dribble past every one until they lose the ball (set to NOT run with the ball )

My central midfielders with passing skills of 15, 15 and 16 now cannot pass a ball 5 yds even .

They also now run with the ball to the opposition penalty area where if they do not get tackled turn round and pass the ball straight to the opposition stikers back on the half way line regularly

Still too many instances of players trying to kick the ball into touch off and opponent

Also still getting throw ins being thrown straight to the opposition

Plenty of woodwork hits still

Maybe its just the animations but it now looks like 50% of all tackles by defenders are wild two footed lunges although i rarely get carded for them .

It has now got to the stage where i was seriously thinking of throwing the game disc into the dustbin .

What is with the number of players who just walk around slowly with the ball?

I'm starting to change my mind a bit about this update. A few more games and the only through balls I'm seeing are over the top attempts, and there is so much time spent with players just walking around slowly with the ball, marked by a player, while the 20 other players on the field just stand there and do nothing.

I'm going to start a couple of new saves and see if the same thing happens.

Just scored two goals I have never seen before. Ran onto a "chipped" through ball and grabbed a goal after my throw in to the near post worked. I must say that this update probably produces more variety than any other ME FM has had. Always thought FM12 was arcade game like but this is really good so far with lofted cross field balls, errors and sublime touches. Interceptions seem better and even in highlights mode it doesn't feel like a goal is going to be scored every time. Just to reiterate that player engagement sometimes seems a little slow but at least now a hard tackle doesn't always seem to result in a free kick. I admit I am always one of the first to criticise but I'd like to also think I'd be one of the first to give credit where it's due and I must say to Paul and all the guys at SI that this is a brilliant improvement so many thanks guys.

One thing I will say though in defence of badly conceded goals is that in football probably 99% of goals at any level are down to a mistake somewhere down the line. It doesn't matter if a guy cracks in a volley from 35 yards or if it's a 25 pass move that ends up a goal 99% of the time there will always be somewhere that the defending team could have done better. My keeper has made a few major errors which on first look could be put down as bugs but on closer inspection I checked his decision and handling stats and the goals conceded are really down to that, a lapse in concentration or decision making or a blunder with his handling. And this is coming from someone who has the odd whinge here and there!!!

Another couple of games on, still not enough through balls, obvious passes aren't being seen by my AMC 18 Passing 18 Creativity, 17 decisions or MC, 18 passing, 18 creativity. Just annoying as I was starting to get used to the last ME update.

I hope FM14 won't be this broken

Well after a few games now my tactics from the previous update are still working fine and thankfully its a much better watch. The passing is so much more crisp and I'm seeing some amazing build up play. Wing play has definitely been taken down a fair bit but I think its just more noticeable because of how bad it was on the previous update. I've still seen some crosses for goals though but its much less an occurrence now, much more balanced. Can definitely see defenders tackling much more aggressively now, instead of letting players fly by they get stuck right in. Early signs for me are very positive but as with negative feedback I'll hold my judgement until I've played a full season.

Oh one small thing I've found so far is I'm scoring quite a lot of goals from corners? Whether that's just a coincidence as its early days for me with this update or not but I've already scored a fair few. Nothing special about my set up either, just default settings really.

but I do think there are too many people thanking SI as if they've done us a big a favour by releasing this patch. I think its fair to say that most people here paid good money many months ago for FM13 and were entitled to expect a finished product, not a work in progress.

There's no such thing as a finished product when it comes to software. Stuff goes from "Work in Progress" to "Abandoned". There's nothing in between.

SI gave us a fantastic game (widely praised all around the traps as the best FM yet) and then have continued to improve it at no financial benefit to themselves. Not sure what else you could possibly ask for...?

o lawd... my team can play away from home... \o/

main issues with stupidity are sorted, which was the main issue i was having, no more players dribbling into tackles or taking long shots.

some sweet passing over the defenders and midfielders that were before, blocking the runs, love this, players making tackles as well.

noticable improvement on away games, not tried a home yet.

E3C783034C918BE127AA6932E4D03FE4C29508A0

one goal was a dodgey backpass

another was a cross that went in... you know the ones. whipped in from near the halfway line

New ME is 100% better than before but still has many problems that remain to be addressed, not least of which is that the bug where a clear goal is given as a corner is still there. Also: still too many wild long shots from outside the area, too many shots hitting the woodwork, players just walking around with the ball like they are out for a sunday stroll and too many fluke goals or GK bloopers ( so far three in five games ). Heading in the right direction but not quite there yet.

Started a new game & still in the pre-season, so too early to post full feedback yet. My first impressions, though, are that the game plays out A LOT more like a real football match compared to the last patch, so it would appear a definite step in the right direction.

Will post more feedback further into the season, but thought I'd post this amusing goal that just happened. Even though I was the scorer, I hope goals like these are a rarity!!

[video=youtube;lfhqJlJ5oDI]

It was actually meant to be a through ball to Bale on the other flank. Not sure what I should be more surprised about - that Lennon's passing accuracy was so awful or that the ball went into the net!!

Had a similar goal happen the match before, with Naughton doing something similar on the other flank trying to find Defoe with a pass/cross. That one was disallowed though, as the referee adjudged Defoe to have pushed the central defender :p

These flukes are happening a lot since the update, GK's appear to suffer temporary brain loss with the long cross

I'm not sure but I feel long balls are SO UNREALISTIC! Ball slides and slides and slides always, never bounces with less speed. It just goes and players can't chase it. This has been a problem since day one and I just have to say that this year you have truly disappointed.

Played the hell out of the new patch tonight. I'm very pleased. Passing seems much crisper and I'm seeing way less flukey goals arising from bizarre/awful defensive play. I also no longer have to spend 5 minutes before every match setting up specific marking and a bunch of shouts just for my team to play sanely.

I see you didn't notice my suggestion that there should be some kind of notification that an update is now affecting your game without you knowing and that maybe having some kind of warning system linking to the patch would help?

And now having lost again to another 88th minute goal I have given up on this game and will disappear.

Do you have a very young team? That is common to conceding lots of late goals.

I'm not sure but I feel long balls are SO UNREALISTIC! Ball slides and slides and slides always, never bounces with less speed. It just goes and players can't chase it. This has been a problem since day one and I just have to say that this year you have truly disappointed.

I agree with this. Just played a few matches and was hoping to see improvements in this area. The ball still just rolls and rolls and never stops. This makes long balls into space basically non existant or useless as they just roll for a goal kick or easy cleanup by the goal keeper.

I've never ever seen a long ball stop for the attacking team to get to it in FM 13. Ever. Even short little through balls struggle to be chased down but long balls are just a non entity.

Very disappointed in FM 2013 now (seeing as this will be the last match engine update apparantly). Was being patient hoping that the latest patch would fix the problems but it's pretty clear it hasn't. A waste of money all around and I won't be buying FM 14 now as I can't see the match engine being fixed in time for that version (I still don't see what was fundamentally wrong with the 2012 match engine, other than a few tweaks that were required).

I think looking back we made a mistake releasing the ME update we did just before Xmas. It was my call, nothing to do with Sega.

But hopefully all is well that ends well - I think it's quite well balanced now!

Thanks for the perfect ME now. It's a thing of beaty, like a butterfly! Really looking forward to FM14!

I don't understand this, my first game after the update was excellent, fast flowing football with great passing, good movement by players, loads of chances created etc, etc. I very nearly posted in this thread to say how impressed I was with the improvment.....

Since the first game the whole damn thing has gone down hill fast, overnight everyone seems to have forgotten they've been updated and the next three games have been rubbish. the passing is now back to normal I.E. usually straight to the oposition, my 'strikers' have gone back to dithering about with the ball instead of just hitting the damn thing, I've conceded four goals as a direct result of defenders setting up on coming strikers, the goalkeeper keeps throwing the ball either striaght off the field or striaght to the oposition, my wingers, who used to be very fast and good at going down the line now amble along as if they are on some kind of nature ramble and everyone of my players seem frieghtened to death of putting a challenge in so just stand around watching. And what's with all this walking about willy nilly with the ball? Players in acres of space just seem to walk around doing nothing until they get themselves surrounded then they just whack it anywhere because they're under pressure. throw-ins are still naff and the back four still blast the ball as far as possible and usually out of play at the other end even when there's no-one near them,

I'm going to try a completely new and different set of tactics and instructions but so far, not impressed at all.

I see you didn't notice my suggestion that there should be some kind of notification that an update is now affecting your game without you knowing and that maybe having some kind of warning system linking to the patch would help?

And now having lost again to another 88th minute goal I have given up on this game and will disappear.

You can turn off the auto-patching, so why would you need a warning?

My feedback

The good:

Defensive line now works, far less stupid mistakes

Team and player instructions seem more consistent with what i asked

Goal plays are more unpredictable, and not the same team motion over and over again

Don't have to create a tactic to work around the ME bugs

The bad:

Unbelievable amount of injuries. The previous patch was bad but this one made it worse (default training, not overly aggressive tactics). All but one of my players have been injured at least twice in less than half a season. I have several games with at least 2 injuries, and a couple with 4. Every single person that plays with me online has the same problem. Torn harmstrings are the fashionable injury.

High amount of red cards, for both human and computer controlled teams.

My inside forwards turned into gods, and maul defenses at will, scoring an absurd amount of goals in the process. My left IF forward position has 32 goals in 19 games. Every single player i put in that position turns into Cristiano Ronaldo.

It's not the fact i was winning before in the previous patch and now it's not working i'm still winning but i feel like i'm now getting lucky and my team doesn't dominate posession as well also i've noticed a lot less chances for both teams in addition to my team stupidly giving the ball away ( i'm Rangers ) they aren't bad technical players but not xavi for an example jamie ness holds ball for 4-5 seconds then passes straight to oposition or a team mate who is immediatly tackled i never had this before and trust me i wasn't winning every game before but i understood how it was all working now i don't and i hate it haha just got to understand my tactics and the lastest me then this . after previous saves i never thought i would complain even though i was succesful!

oh sorry forgot to add a LOT more injuries i play default tackling and picked up 5 in my first 4 games after the patch not all forced off ones but they all lasted after the games ended.

I don't understand this, my first game after the update was excellent, fast flowing football with great passing, good movement by players, loads of chances created etc, etc. I very nearly posted in this thread to say how impressed I was with the improvment.....

Since the first game the whole damn thing has gone down hill fast, overnight everyone seems to have forgotten they've been updated and the next three games have been rubbish. the passing is now back to normal I.E. usually straight to the oposition, my 'strikers' have gone back to dithering about with the ball instead of just hitting the damn thing, I've conceded four goals as a direct result of defenders setting up on coming strikers, the goalkeeper keeps throwing the ball either striaght off the field or striaght to the oposition, my wingers, who used to be very fast and good at going down the line now amble along as if they are on some kind of nature ramble and everyone of my players seem frieghtened to death of putting a challenge in so just stand around watching. And what's with all this walking about willy nilly with the ball? Players in acres of space just seem to walk around doing nothing until they get themselves surrounded then they just whack it anywhere because they're under pressure. throw-ins are still naff and the back four still blast the ball as far as possible and usually out of play at the other end even when there's no-one near them,

I'm going to try a completely new and different set of tactics and instructions but so far, not impressed at all.

Started off alright in my first three games but since then the last seven have been a waste of time .

Goalies useless

Wingers no longer try and get to the bye line but always cut inside to shoot ( set to use the flanks and trained to attack down the flanks )

Central midfielders and strikers now trying to run fifty yards and dribble past every one until they lose the ball (set to NOT run with the ball )

My central midfielders with passing skills of 15, 15 and 16 now cannot pass a ball 5 yds even .

They also now run with the ball to the opposition penalty area where if they do not get tackled turn round and pass the ball straight to the opposition stikers back on the half way line regularly

Still too many instances of players trying to kick the ball into touch off and opponent

Also still getting throw ins being thrown straight to the opposition

Plenty of woodwork hits still

Maybe its just the animations but it now looks like 50% of all tackles by defenders are wild two footed lunges although i rarely get carded for them .

It has now got to the stage where i was seriously thinking of throwing the game disc into the dustbin .

These are telltale signs that your tactics no longer works. I experienced many of the same things until I made some changes; passing was awful, defenders clearing wildly, midfielders standing still and either losing the ball or kicking it randomly forward, strikers wouldn't shoot etc. A few tweaks and they were a team again. It seems that Tempo is tied more strongly to Passing style and Mentality than ever. In TC terms that is Role/Duty vs Strategy.

These are telltale signs that your tactics no longer works. I experienced many of the same things until I made some changes; passing was awful, defenders clearing wildly, midfielders standing still and either losing the ball or kicking it randomly forward, strikers wouldn't shoot etc. A few tweaks and they were a team again. It seems that Tempo is tied more strongly to Passing style and Mentality than ever. In TC terms that is Role/Duty vs Strategy.

Yes, I did say at the bottom of my post about changing things around, I think you could be right. I'm going to start from scratch with tactics etc and see where it goes.

o lawd... my team can play away from home... \o/

main issues with stupidity are sorted, which was the main issue i was having, no more players dribbling into tackles or taking long shots.

some sweet passing over the defenders and midfielders that were before, blocking the runs, love this, players making tackles as well.

noticable improvement on away games, not tried a home yet.

E3C783034C918BE127AA6932E4D03FE4C29508A0

one goal was a dodgey backpass

another was a cross that went in... you know the ones. whipped in from near the halfway line

Hi mate are you playing direct by any chance? i'm playing slow short passing football and it's not worked to the same level at all since the patch although i'm still winning not in the same way and probably getting the same level as posession as you which is ******* me right off and i bet your playing direct because that seems to be the way of success in tactics with this patch.

Not played the patch yet but slightly confused that Thanksit's not showing a January Transfe Update database option when starting a new game. Is this just a tweaking improvement patch as thought SI would have packaged in a data update with this post January patch? Are SI planning on releasing one at all or are they just leaving it to the transfer update creators on the forum? Thanks

As I say everytime a new update comes out DON'T UPDATE MID SEASON

I am in my 10th season and am happily hammering everyone, we should easily win our fourth league title.

Wing play is now dead, just what I feared...

My winger still rips sides up from the flanks, maybe he likes me more, or maybe my tactic is a lot more balanced than yours.

Just had a look further into my stats following my essay of a post, and noticed that since the patch over half of the goals I have let in have been in the 76-90th minutes of the game, has anyone else experienced this, my team seems to have massive concentration lapses at the end of games...

Nah I still score a lot of goals in the first half, and it seems a lot more balanced than before.

Archived