*Official* Football Manager 2013 Constructive non-ME Feedback Thread

The key highlights has changed in this version. I'm seeing not as many highlights with this option and well over half of the chances result in goals. That's not what bugs me though.

What I find annoying is having to see highlights of the kick off and final whistle. Is there any way to turn these off and just get the actual match action?

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have yet to play a game where I don't concede the next goal if I give a team-talk of don' get complacent or you are doing well. Still haven't figured what is correct?

Also the option to give team-talk first then individual ones causes some bad situations. If the team has been playing badly except one then he gets angry and even if i praise him individually he gets confused during half-time. And after full-time praising a player leads to others getting angry when they have been poor usually in games with 1-1 draws or similar.

Match engine still needs a lot of work. Getting rather frustrated by the amount of times players has a clear chance of a goal, or at least potting one off, but instead they turn around and pass back 10m to the central MC.

Player holding up the ball, lookng for options

23823766.jpg

Nice side pass to my MCR...FC already doing a forward run into space

13294403.jpg

MCR does a nice through ball to my running FC

30224301.jpg

FC has oodels of space between the two defenders, but already he is turning to trap & pass the ball back to his MCL, instead of running though the gap and having a close shot

56499957.jpg

What a waste of an chance! :rant:

68307876.jpg

Back to where we started

46626582.jpg

Taipan, I could flood the forum with ME videos of stupid defending/cloing down/ the rest ...

I know, I know. The ME has a looooooong way to go, and I smile when I see posts from people saying "it's fine", or "don't worry about the negiatives, this game is great!"...

If you watch full games the issues stand out like dogs balls. People that just watch highlights, only see that, highlights. They don't see the carp issues that are hidden inbetween. Bottom is it an't great at the moment, and it is going to be a while before this sort of thing is sorted out. It an't going to be a quick fix that is for sure.

There still seems to be something off with the ME, i just had West Brom pass me out of the park and im Man City. They were doing dozens of one touch passes all along their midfield(tiki-taka at it's finest) and my players just couldn't get the ball back. For some reason my own midfield gives them acres off space.

They played 4-2-3-1 and i played 4-3-3 with a DM and 2xIF's, you would think that having a DM would negate their AMC and the two CM's would stick close to the opposition CM's, but this just didn't happen. For some reason my whole midfield dropped back to the edge off the box and only tries to close down the opposition when they get closer. I had set closing down allways on all of their midfield and had selected Press more from the team instructions but my players would just stand off most of the time, even tried tight marking them all but that didn't help either.

And another thing was my defence loosing most of the headballs that came their way, Kompany for example lost nearly all high balls against Long, and Clichy lost consistently against morrison. I could handle clichy loosing em since neither morrison nor Clichy are that good at headers but i just can't see how Kompany could loose most of the headers against Shane Long. In the end they had over 75% headers won when i had around 45%.

And then the other issue, i was playing Control tactic with passing set to shorter from the team instructions and using the "retain posession", "pass into space" and "work ball into box" shouts. But still my defenders would insist in hoofing the ball up the field straight to the other team even when not pressured by the opposition.

This situation has been raised in the beta forum prior to the release on several occassions. PKM's have been delivered to SI (PSV vs VVV is mine). I wrote the following comment on that forum:

"But my main gripe with the game is still the lack of defensive skills players portray on the pitch. Midfielders can pass the ball to each other unbothered. There is no winding down and tackling. Same goes for the defenders. I want to see ball winning midfielers win balls. I want to see strong centre backs eat their striker opponents alive. I want to see physical football (besides barcelona most teams do actually need to fight hard to get the points haha). Because the midfield and defense is not working close to how it should, it seems results are coincidental instead of based on how good a squad is put together tactically and individually. It now seems that which ever team gets the ball into the final third has the best change of scoring a goal. And because of the lack of solid defending there are some incredible scoring games (after losing 7-2 to Valencia with PSV, I again lost 7-2 to Wolverhampton Wanderers, with just a normal 4-2-3-1 tactic and some solid allround midfielders (strootman, van bommel).

We do not have to look at real life statistics to see this game is not working the way it should. SI please just watch full matches in the current match engine and wait for normal attacking play in which an attack is carefully placed by either your own team or AI. What you will see is around 7 players of the defending opponent all huddling back to the 16 meter, stand in and around it like it is a handball match and the attacking party can pass the ball around freely outside the 16 meter. The defending midfielders do not press, the defenders do not tackle. There is no pro activity.

I have seen the defending/closing down/pressing/lack of physical play/proactivity issue raised by many many people now but just in various threads. Every thread in itself might get 5 to 8 reactions thus it seems like a small issue. But if you start counting all the people who have no complained about the defensive/pressing/closing down side of the match engine surely you must come to the conclusion that the game is seriusly flawed in its current state. Please lets not talk real life statistics, lets all use our own eyes and confront the issue. There is nothing subjective about it, the poor defending is objectively there. "

It is hard to read through all the different threads but so far I have only seen SI closing threads on this issue or asking for pkm's while I am positive those were send. Thusfar I am still waiting for an official opinion of SI on this issue. You can hardly say we are talking about isolated cases anymore.

Next to this I unfortunately also have to concur on the raisen issues of lack of dribbling in the game. None of my wingers at PSV (Narsingh, Mertens, Lens) dribble past their opponents and my SC hardly does anything at all.

So far a dreadful experience playing FM2013. I have faith SI will fix this, but in all honesty I find it disrespectful to us paying customers to use us as beta testers (after being assured of our money) and then come release date we still get served with a game that basically is unplayable. Only a good solid patch within a week will take away that weird feeling.

The visual effect of the boll is just ridiculous, looks like a piece of ice and not a football.

I know this something visual but is it something that have been mentioned before and looked in to or is it something i have to live with ? It dosent look realistic at all.

Could I get a response to this, guys, please?

Also - Why having signed a player which my scouts reported as having the potential for league 1, am I now limited to getting coach reports which show him as 1 star potential because the coaches (rightfully) don't have high enough recognition of potential/ability? Why can't I ask whoever has the highest potential recognition to review this player instead? At the minute I'm stuck with a player who a). Might have been incorrectly reviewed as my scouts and be rubbish, or b). Be a wonderkid that's incorrectly labelled as worthless by my coaches.

FRUSTRATING BEYOND BELIEF.

How can this game fail to mirror how a real football club works? Surely someone on the staff at any real life club would be able to go and watch a player for 90 minutes and get a match report/valid potential report??

Can someone tell me if I'm getting this right, or whether there's a different way of looking at this before I lose the plot?

Cheers.

D

Nobody has an opinion on this?

Thought I'd solve it by creating a custom squad screen set up with my scout's recommendations rather than my assistant managers - but NOOOOOO, only the players I have on loan show up with any stars on ability/potential.

Well done SI, you are making assessing my squad either pointlessly inaccurate or laboriously painful.

*sigh*

:(

This situation has been raised in the beta forum prior to the release on several occassions. PKM's have been delivered to SI (PSV vs VVV is mine). I wrote the following comment on that forum:

Very nicely put. I haven't done a game upgrade since FM10 and was really looking forward to FM13. This last week has left me deflated and utterly frustrated with the game. Having done many CM/FM beta's over the years, I know all these issues would of been raised by the testers. The SI Games of yesteryear would not of released this game in the state it is. For SI to still put out this game considering the current state of the ME, and just make it a mass beta test is a sad indictment of the way this company has gone from a small tight game company to just another production team with constant pressure from the Siga Father Overseer to release the game at a certain time regardless of the state of it.

Getting really annoyed that I can't make any subs or shouts during a game, everything just greys out.

I got same, cant really play the game cause of it. Is it noticed by SI guys?

There is so much little bugs and stuff and its very unacceptable. SI had 2 weeks to work things out with beta and still they release buggy game like this.

This game is completley ruined!! so many bugs its just unreal how SI have missed them out. dont know if its like it in the 1player game but i was playing 2player and im having messages but i cant read them. game wont let me continue. wont let me confirm a signing. ME is terrible. players just run with the ball and defenders just slowly jog by and watch with no attempt atall to put a tackle in. gk are still crap. letting stupid goals in. players dont interact with the ball. my mate just quit our game. i was going to anyway he just beat me to it. sort it out SI

It's been over a year since the release of Football Manager 2012, so why on earth is this Football Manager 2013 the most bugged game in history of gaming? It is awful, how can we enjoy this... Almost every highlight is a goal, the goalkeepers are disgusting, the match engine would be better in 2D and everything else, I can't believe all this time you have had from Football Manager 2012 that you manage to get this game this bad with bugs.

Really loving the look of the match engine this year but some of the match moments are the most unrealistic they've ever been. I've just conceded a long range lofted free kick from the halfway line that went over my keeper's head despite him being on his line. Next a shot hits the post right next to him and he watches it for 15 seconds (yes I watched the clock tick) before a bored opposition player eventually decided to run from outside the box to hit the ball off the line and into the goal. The keeper was Hugo Lloris so no slouch. Also had instances of players under no pressure and in acres of space turning away from the opposition box and running with the ball all the way back to my own box.*Massive shame as the rest of the game seems superb and very fast for me.

Having read this thread I think I might wait awhile before forking out my hard earned cash, especially after seeing the comment that the ME is a work in progress.

I agree somewhat. I'm dying to play the full game, but I don't know if I want to spend £30 to test it and see the bugs for myself, or see if fanboys are just ranting. So all I can go on if forum feedback, which is mixed to say the least.

That said, the ME is always a work in progress. What's wrong with that? That's just how it works. Though I do prefer FM12's ME.

Whilst I am excited about this new iteration in the fantastic series we all love as Football Manager, so far my management of Stafford Rangers has shown me that there still remains some workt to be done with the translation of real world football styles in FM. Too many players even in the lower leagues are able to turn their backs hold the ball and maintain tight passing triangles. A lot of work still needs to be done to translate this into the game. I have written a fair bit on my blog and will continue to do this as I am painfully aware that all the stuff I have written on Football Manager since 1992 is now somewhere on the ether we call the internet. I will copy and paste the entire thread i posted on my blog here..RashidiFM Blog

I was watching the game between Southampton and Tottenham Hotspur on the weekend and came to the realization that its fairly obvious how you can spot the gulf between sides. Within the first 15 minutes it became clear to me that the Saints were going to struggle, and were gonna be put to the sword by Spurs.

Some commentators have asserted that passing triangles are a thing of the past, I disagree. Passing triangles are not leaving the game, they are just going to look different. Barcelona's passing triangles aren't unique, if you look at the way they play the game you will notice the moment someone is on the ball, up to three players are within 5-8 metres facing the ball carrier, and offering passing options. This allows the team to move the ball quickly around the pitch. Where they get exponentially better is having Xabi Alonso a wicked passer of the ball being within easy reach.

The key to the effective passing triangle is having players facing the ball carrier and having one player in close range able to play the killer long ball to move the focus to another area of the pitch. After all the passing triangle focuses the defending team in the area of the ball carrier. The ability to switch play to the other side requires having players with good awareness, good decisions and a trusted ability to send the ball 40 yards across the pitch into the path of another player.

Coming back to the Saints match.. While Spurs were showing a lot of confidence on the ball, the Saints were doing things that only pointed to a defeat. Whenever a Southampton midfielder had the ball, the entire front line would be at least 20-30 metres away. It was woefully apparent that their passing triangles were huge, and at most times they only had one player within 10 metres of the ball carrier. This often resulted in passing cul-de-sacs as they got closed down rapidly by the Spurs. The few good moments when they had good triangles going they managed to get the ball up, but these moments were often too rare. At one point when the central midfielder had the ball the wingers on both flanks were in line with the strikers up front forming a perfect line of four standing with the Spurs back-line, effectively turning them off as a passing option. Naturally they would lose possession.

Spurs on the other hand kept their triangles tight, in most cases getting the ball up and when they had to switch flanks as the triangle got closed down the space that opened up on the opposite flank would get exploited by a spurs player within easy range to hurl that 30metre pass.

When Spurs had to they were able to get the up with some really fast direct play, this is where their passing triangle adjusted slightly the ball carrier would now adjust his body to open up lateral space so effectively he would stand in such a way when he received the ball that he would be able to turn his body slightly to pass the ball to someone

movement.jpg?w=300Anchor player launching a counter attack

At the moment in FM, translation of this isn't perfect. Teams seem to play the same way and any defining identity isnt immediately apparent. More often than not you can easily see teams managing to keep strict discipline at maintaining tight passing triangles. In the real world these passing triangles get increasingly bigger as the game draws on owing to player fitness. This needs to be accurately reflected in the game, at the moment I dont see enough of that. During the course of the game even the Spurs struggled to maintain tight discipline to maintain their passing triangle, and when Southampton managed to get some decent possession, it was their lack of a Xabi Alonsoesque player that prevented them to get any purchase on switching flank attacks.

Smaller sides in the premiership have shown that with discipline they can maintain successful passing triangles, Swansea are the best example. Overtime any side can achieve this provided they maintain a high amount of discipline and this needs to be translated into the game, via training. A direct co-relation between coaches discipline attribute and attacking or defending attributes needs to be a factor for this. Furthermore the existence of poor passing options should also be translated into the game. There should be sides in football manager who show these obvious gaps in the game such as Southampton exhibited so that different sides display unique identity.

With better sides passing triangles can become longer, much like how Manchester United is able to play direct football quickly along the flanks. Movement on the pitch by ball carriers needs to be translated as well. Some sides in the modern game still run with the ball at their feet for a good 10 yards. A perfect example is Manchester United who have technically good players who have great ball control. More often than not these players run for a good 10-15 yards with the ball before they unleash a pass. This too needs to be translated into the game.

Whilst its great to see the short one touch passing game easily mimicked in the game. Whats a bit disturbing is how prevalent it is in FM2013. There are currently way too many iterations of this even in non league football sides. I managed Stafford Rangers and was pleasantly surprised to see them play that game easily, far too easily. The one thing I did notice is that the gap between passing triangles was maintained and the lack of tempo and speed in off the ball running was maintained. While I was happy to see the latter i wasnt thrilled with the former. There needs to be a minimum acceptable level for decision making and off the ball attributes. so for instance if we accept that the best sides in the lowest league need to have 10 as an attribute to make them the best there, then any player with a 5 or 6 for off the ball running, should be late getting into space. And any player with that for decision making should be further up the pitch and out of position.

Managers should be able to transcend these limitations by getting the right players and making their tactics work the right way. However, we should easily be seeing other sides in the game making these kinda Southampton mistakes, players too far away for a good pass etc. And if we can get this mixture done right, the FM tonic will be hard to resist

I agree somewhat. I'm dying to play the full game, but I don't know if I want to spend £30 to test it and see the bugs for myself, or see if fanboys are just ranting. So all I can go on if forum feedback, which is mixed to say the least.

That said, the ME is always a work in progress. What's wrong with that? That's just how it works. Though I do prefer FM12's ME.

As always you have to peer between the trees to see the wood on this forum :) fwiw my MC just spotted the keeper off his line and chipped him from 50m :cool: that was almost worth 30 quid lol.

Match engine still needs a lot of work. Getting rather frustrated by the amount of times players has a clear chance of a goal, or at least potting one off, but instead they turn around and pass back 10m to the central MC.

I usually wait till January, don't know how it got released with obvious bugs. You'd think by now they'd get the ME right for release date. Too much pressure to release it I think instead of getting it working correctly. I don't blame the developers they'll know what's wrong with it. Must be time restrictions (as always) and lack of time to test in depth since some of the ME bugs you can see after playing 5 games and other after half a season.

The key highlights has changed in this version. I'm seeing not as many highlights with this option and well over half of the chances result in goals. That's not what bugs me though.

What I find annoying is having to see highlights of the kick off and final whistle. Is there any way to turn these off and just get the actual match action?

You need to change to extended highlights instead of key highlights for this version,key only show ccc now and extended highlights work basically like key highlights used too.

As always you have to peer between the trees to see the wood on this forum :) fwiw my MC just spotted the keeper off his line and chipped him from 50m :cool: that was almost worth 30 quid lol.

Seeing my keeper just watch a cross float into the goal from 30 yards was hilarious only because goals conceded mainly are howlers. Soon as the cross was hit and bent towards goal my keeper didn't move I was saying to myself 'oh no, please move, just stick an arm out!' We're suppose to winning the championship with finishing runner up at least, but we're battling relegation haha.

This ME is an embarrassment. Sadly money talks and deadlines have to be met. They should have a couple of months of open beta at least if they want to make a good ME and game.

Sadly Sega and SI just want to make The Sims: The only way is Soccer

Heh, I just reinstalled FM12. It's just crazy how much better, consice, informative and intuitive the UI is in comparison to FM13. So many stupid choices made by SI this year, it's not even funny... Wish I could get a refund...

Totally agree. Tried to cancel my pre-order after trying the beta but game had already been dispatched! Thought I would give it a go but it is utter, utter rubbish. All the bad things in FM12 (there were a few) plus about 100 other issues making the game a complete joke.

There are major issues with the defensive players in this game mitch , let s hope SI can sort them quickly.

I thought these last couple of minor patches sorted some of the defensive problems?

I thought these last couple of minor patches sorted some of the defensive problems?

Just check the screenshot i posted on 750. To give you a general idea about what kind of results you can expect from time to time.

I completely agree with @Sancho Panza. I paid 50$ for the worst FM match engine I've ever experienced! Many of the new things are completely useless. Please, bring an update as soon as possible, bring back the FM2012 match engine, bring back the FM2012 interface and bring back FM2012's reality! Awful match engine, bad interface, extremely unreal at all - this is Football Manager 2013 a.k.a. the worst job on Earth.

There are certainly some major issues to resolve with the ME, but bring back the FM2012 version please, it was wooden, the players only ever seemed to pass forward, strikers frequently had no awareness of a man in a better position usually just shooting at the keeper. Keepers hoofing the ball up the pitch just as in this version, and trying to play progressive modern football was just impossible. While in this version Telford look like Barcelona in FM 2012 Barcelona looked like Telford.

FM2013 yes it has some pretty major issues and its difficult to believe that it could have been released with such glaring flaws, but it does have way more potential provided the bugs are sorted.

My major gripes

Midfield and forwards do not close down, defenders not much better.

FBs do not pick up the opposition wingers or strikers coming in from wide positions.

GK still do not want to pass or throw short and if they do they still kick long if the ball comes back to them when under no pressure

Players still overrunning the ball or worse walking away from it.

Marking and tackling poor

Too many shots on goal

Defenders not tracking back the man with the ball

Just a total let down mate. Pathetic. I noticed it last year in FM12. Outplayed every single game pretty much. Sad thing is, last year I won the Title etc like it. Even when the highlights show it's all you, the possession stats are still totally against you. Totally flawed. New ME my arse too. No different.

You need to change to extended highlights instead of key highlights for this version,key only show ccc now and extended highlights work basically like key highlights used too.

Cheers for the info. Still get the kick off and final whistle though which is annoying.

Heh, I just reinstalled FM12. It's just crazy how much better, consice, informative and intuitive the UI is in comparison to FM13. So many stupid choices made by SI this year, it's not even funny... Wish I could get a refund...
Totally agree. Tried to cancel my pre-order after trying the beta but game had already been dispatched! Thought I would give it a go but it is utter, utter rubbish. All the bad things in FM12 (there were a few) plus about 100 other issues making the game a complete joke.

I´m back to FM12 too. Can we get the money back or is already too late? :(

I think they have to pay us to play this FM13 joke.

Archived