Champions of Europe 2012/13 Thread

Philip Rolfe

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"If you're not winning and you analyse the players who have played almost every game, there aren't many players here," said Benitez. "There were 19 in the league, and now it's 20 with Marko Marin.

"They'd been playing fewer players than other clubs. I'm not here to criticise, but that's the reality. They'd played so many games, two or three a week and massive games in the Champions League, that the players were getting tired. You can't give them a rest either, because there's no time. I explained what I'd seen, my ideas on things and my explanations.

"You can see the team needs to improve a bit physically but you cannot do that if they play two games every week. There's no recovery time. I'd like to have players for a week and train them properly - they would all gain the benefit - but we have to play games.

"I will have to rest people for some matches, like we did with Juan Mata on Wednesday. It's a risk but we are thinking about the bigger picture. You have to prepare the team for now while thinking in the long run so that at the end, when the trophies are being won, we can benefit."

While resting key players remains part of Benitez's strategy, Chelsea will be hoping to return to winning ways when they take on West Ham at Upton Park on Saturday.

Prior to the clash, Benitez met with the Blues' board and owner Roman Abramovich to determine a course of action for the January transfer window. The Spaniard explained that he needs more time with the current squad before dipping into the transfer market.

"The board were asking me my opinion on what we need," said Benítez. "We spoke about the future but I said it's too soon for me. I'm pleased they're asking me but I want to see the team in a couple more games yet.

"We also analysed the players out on loan, how they are performing. We spoke about Romelu Lukaku and we know he's doing well [at West Brom], and maybe it's better for his development to stay there, playing. We will see. It's too soon for me."

Atleast he is frank looking at that interview and knows its better for Lukaku to be at WB.

What is amazing how a side like Chelsea seem to have no recognised strikers other than the missfiring Torres & Sturridge. Why they let the goal machine otherwise known as Drogba go is anyones guess. Even though he is past it he is better than those two.

Liverpool fans have been campaigning for Benetiz to return as manager for the past few years. Either they are a glutton for punishment or are utterly deluded.

1354371752008.gif

:D

Haha was sat 2 rows in front of that kid.

Really pathetic in the 2nd half. Don't agree CaptainPlanet about Hazard, he wasn't having a brilliant game but he looked like he was going to do something. Still the players can only blame themselves but I don't think Rafa made great subs. I really don't care abou not having another option for Torres. Put Moses up front ffs. Marin actually got the ball and ran at people, like Moses did.

I said I would give Rafa a chance but he's taking the ****. The players do need to be blamed as well but I think we looked better under RDM. Thought Cole fouled Ivanovic for the first goal but still no excuse for what happened.

Well that was definitely worth sacking a club legend and universally liked manager in Di Matteo to bring in a fat Spanish waiter who no one likes, plays utter **** football and gets worse results than the previous manager.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/anzhi-makhachkala-ready-to-give-chelsea-1468641

I really hope this happens. Sometimes I feel sorry for Torres but he doesn't seem interested in scoring. Took a bloody corner today ffs.

It's a real shame as at the start of the season we looked like we could be challengers and now I am just hoping we don't go into total meltdown and have to think about not coming 4th again. Why we sacked RDM I have no idea as Roman can't go sacking Benitez now, not this early anyway.

With all the well-deserved crap Torres gets, the problem is a lot more deep with our current play-style. Conceding 3 in 45 mins is not Torres's fault. Maybe Rafa was so bad in his team-talk that they stopped playing in 2nd half or the team became over-confident in the 2nd half and got what they deserved. The mid of Mikel and Rami looked good in 1st and the defense was fine as well but in the 2nd it was back to usual.

I don't know why but i have never seen any of our player cover for loose balls outside the penalty box and exactly where the 2nd goal came from. Its like all the 11 players ball watch but no one watches the opponent.

Haha was sat 2 rows in front of that kid.

Really pathetic in the 2nd half. Don't agree CaptainPlanet about Hazard, he wasn't having a brilliant game but he looked like he was going to do something. Still the players can only blame themselves but I don't think Rafa made great subs. I really don't care abou not having another option for Torres. Put Moses up front ffs. Marin actually got the ball and ran at people, like Moses did.

I said I would give Rafa a chance but he's taking the ****. The players do need to be blamed as well but I think we looked better under RDM. Thought Cole fouled Ivanovic for the first goal but still no excuse for what happened.

If we're being completely honest, Hazard's looked off the boil for the past month.

Thought we were unlucky in some aspects of the game yesterday (Mata's FK rattling the woodwork and the shot he had from about 5 yards out that Jussi saved, if either went in, I doubt West Ham were getting back in the game) but when Diamé came on, we completely collapsed and had little to no reaction to West Ham's attacking movements. I've yet seen an explanation as to how Cole's managed to get away with the foul for the first goal, he ****ing manhandles Ivanovic ffs :D

I've yet seen an explanation as to how Cole's managed to get away with the foul for the first goal, he ****ing manhandles Ivanovic ffs :D

Referee compensating for the soft FK we got in the first half which Nolan (was it?) scored from

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/anzhi-makhachkala-ready-to-give-chelsea-1468641

I really hope this happens. Sometimes I feel sorry for Torres but he doesn't seem interested in scoring. Took a bloody corner today ffs.

It's a real shame as at the start of the season we looked like we could be challengers and now I am just hoping we don't go into total meltdown and have to think about not coming 4th again. Why we sacked RDM I have no idea as Roman can't go sacking Benitez now, not this early anyway.

Obviously I hope this happens too, although I'd be equally happy were he given away for free (so long as he's not here), but more interesting is that Hiddink is stepping down at the end of the season. I'd be very happy for him to return, did a wonderful job salvaging Scolari's mess last time he was here.

If we're being completely honest, Hazard's looked off the boil for the past month.

Thought we were unlucky in some aspects of the game yesterday (Mata's FK rattling the woodwork and the shot he had from about 5 yards out that Jussi saved, if either went in, I doubt West Ham were getting back in the game) but when Diamé came on, we completely collapsed and had little to no reaction to West Ham's attacking movements. I've yet seen an explanation as to how Cole's managed to get away with the foul for the first goal, he ****ing manhandles Ivanovic ffs :D

Diame destroyed us in that home draw with Wigan last year didn't he?

Obviously I hope this happens too, although I'd be equally happy were he given away for free (so long as he's not here), but more interesting is that Hiddink is stepping down at the end of the season. I'd be very happy for him to return, did a wonderful job salvaging Scolari's mess last time he was here.

He's retiring at the end of the season

Archived