Senegal's Arsenal Thread 2012/2013 : featuring positive negativity

Retro

Llew, it is definitely the British anthem not an English one. England use it, but if anybody should change it's them, not team GB (In fact, there is perpetual talk of instituting Jerusalem or something as the English anthem to avoid this situation). Either way, it's hardly a big deal surely? It's only a song after all, and a fairly dreary one at that.

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's with all this manufactured outrage over players not singing the national anthem?

Watch the camera panning along the line ups of plenty national teams during the Euros or World Cups and there will always be some players who aren't singing, there will be some belting it out and some mumbling along in a daze. Everyone handles that part of the build up differently, some players will be too hyped up and nervous to think about singing, probably taking all their concentration to stand still, some were probably too lazy to memorise the words, some might be aware they can't carry a tune to save their lives...and yes some might be making a statement, however ill advised.

However the only effort of theirs I care about when they are playing for Great Britain is the effort they put in on the pitch once the game starts.

How many English senior players sing the anthem when England play? Only a small handful.

Virtually all of them do now tbh. Even Rooney has started singing it.

I'm trying to remember but I think the only player I remember not singing it at the Euros was Milner.

Edit: Actually Milner did. All of them did in fact http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3G9bUBaJXQ

Sahin and Cazorla would be sweet, the kind of signings that would silence all the critics who always wanted AW to sign world class players. Some still beleive M'Vila is gonna happen too, and now we're back from the tour, the Niang deal may gather pace also.

If I said this time last year "next summer we'll sign Podolski, Giroud, M'Vila, Cazorla and Sahin, as well as one of the best young strikers going" - I would've been laughed at. Obviously not happened yet but man, that would be amazing.

Virtually all of them do now tbh. Even Rooney has started singing it.

I'm trying to remember but I think the only player I remember not singing it at the Euros was Milner.

Edit: Actually Milner did. All of them did in fact http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3G9bUBaJXQ

I stand corrected. Cheers for pointing that out. Most of them, not so much in recent games, just mumble it.

Ultimately, I don't even know why I took exception to Sy and djvandyke's initial comments.

Because they were moaning for the sake of moaning? What next, expecting players to hold their hand over their heart like Americans?

Well that would be a freemason pose (or close enough), http://vigilantcitizen.com/vigilantreport/the-hidden-hand-that-changed-history/ djvandyke is all into this illuminati stuff, it would give him even more reason to moan! ;)

Wilson of the telegraph says we are working on two deals other than Cazorla. One of which is Sahin. So the other is Niang?

Also don't see us bringing in M'Vila as well.

The other is Niang yes, judging from reports he is a special talent, and with Chamakh, Bendtner, + Park possibly getting offloaded he'd be 3rd/4th choice striker, could possibly be a steal.

Jeremy Wilson, who's usually very reliable when it comes to Arsenal news, says that the deal will be completed this week.

Although, Chelsea have 'enquired' for Cazorla. Tw*ts.

Like I posted earlier, got the Mata situation of last year written all over it :(

Lost his man countless times. He really can't defend in the line but put him one on one and he is okay.

That's true with a lot of our players. It shouts poor defensive coaching that they handle themselves well enough (ie. decent defenders) but can't defend as a unit.

Our team consistently lacks the defensive shape, discipline, and organization, which costs us silly goals. You don't need to be great defenders to position and mark better than our players curreently do. Just need better coaching.

Llew, do you have any insight on the Malaga situation? Is this a case of them not being so minted as once believed? Debts etc?

The owner is a billionaire, the trouble is he seems to have lost interest. He barely turns up in Malaga and there's no information channel between him and the club, especially since the managing director (or something like that) died in the spring. The club are reliant on his funds to pay the high wages and installments for last summer's marquee signings and the money's just stopped coming.

Now supposedly he's looking into selling the club. The whole situation's a farce.

More stuff today, agent is saying that its 'nearly impossible' that Cazorla is staying at the club. Agent also said that the only club that Cazorla wants to go to is Arsenal.

Deal should be done by tomorrow, whether it will be announced tomorrow I dont know.

Santi Cazorla actually rescinded his complaint about a fortnight ago. It's only recently that the mainstream media have picked up on it. I don't know why. Just a matter of time now until the transfer's completed - Diario Sur reporting that it could be done today.

Llew, do you have any insight on the Malaga situation? Is this a case of them not being so minted as once believed? Debts etc?

I wouldn't say I have an insight, I just read :D It's a case of the money's there, but Al-Thani doesn't want to spend it. It's a shame really. Fernando Hierro, who spoke highly of Málaga's project, resigned from his role within the club due to the managerial shambles. After Santi Cazorla is sold, it's more than likely that Solomon Rondón will be sold too - possibly to Tottenham.

The outstanding debts, which Al-Thani has left build up, is the most worrying part though. Málaga still owe a fair amount in Spanish tax, I think. And there's more: €4-5 million is still owed to Villarreal for the Cazorla transfer, and around €1-1.5 million, for Natxo Monreal, is still owed to Osasuna. The LFP have issued a transfer embargo to the club until they pay the aforementioned clubs. It's a weird situation though; Al-Thani has the money, but is unwilling to invest it in Málaga!

Its examples like Malaga that reinforce why I'm happy the club is run as we are (although maybe a bit too tight).

For every Abramovich (who to be fair has always supported CFC financially), there will be situations like Malaga, with these billionaire owners.

I still refuse to get excited about Carzola though, we've been here before!

Although not completely finalised, I'm quite surprised about this transfer. I think you have to say fair play to Wenger on this one, its a 'big' signing. 17 million added to the 23 for Podolski and Giroud (roughly), well thats 40 million, no less :eek:.

Still think that if Van Persie or 'RVP', as hes annoyingly referred to by some journalists, goes it will be a big blow. Van Persie along side these new players is very strong, without Van Persie its still sort of starting again. Or maybe one of the three has only been signed because hes leaving? Hope not.....

Onto another German, Serge Gnabry's signed his first professional contract with us. Wouldn't be surprised if we see a bit of him in the Capital One Cup :thup:

He was rated really highly in Germany. I'm looking forward to getting a look at him.

Archived