Senegal's Arsenal Thread 2012/2013 : featuring positive negativity

Retro

I'm pretty sure Diaby is not "extremely one footed" and if Diaby is "average at best" then Lansbury is most definitely not "pretty good."

Diaby with Lansbury fitness and love for the club would be a pretty good player for us eh? lol

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I personally don't think Diaby ever really had the mentality to become a brilliant player. His natural ability is ridiculously good, but I don't think he ever had a great desire to make the most of it. Add to that all his injury woes, and he's very much a case of what could have been.

I'm not too sure about Bartley, because I haven't seen him play much at all. I think it could be the whole "the-unseen-is-better-than-the-proven-bad" syndrome. Squillaci has been horrible for us, and Djourou didn't perform too well (although, tbf, he was forced to play at RB) so some feel Bartley must be an improvement on those 2.

I think someone who can still come back from a ridiculous amount of injury setbacks has the mentality to be a brilliant player. The injuries are the only thing that's holding him back.

I tend to agree with that. He's not a great character or anything, but I don't think it held him back. I don't consider his mentality a strength or weakness. Personally, I think it's definitely his luck with injuries that have ruined his career so far.

He has a bad temper, and doesn't assert himself on a game like how Vieira or Wilshere do. Going purely off ability, he should be at that standard, but he doesn't have the same bottle those guys do.

Well, there are some players who have that ability innately but there are others who learn how to do it, and unfortunately Diaby just hasn't had the opportunity. I genuinely can't remember the last time he even played five games consecutively. It's always 'what if' with Diaby unfortunately; no-one knows how good he could have been.

Besides there are plenty of excellent midfielders who have had great careers who also don't really do that regularly. Carrick for example - I rate him highly but I don't think it's particuarly controversial to say he often struggles to impose himself on games.

Do you think Juve are out of running now?

Hard to say. Latest reports suggest that they can either offer massive wages to tempt Van Persie or a massive transfer fee to satisfy Arsenal, but not both.

My guess would be that a lot depends on what happens with Conte.

I think Diaby has the ability to completely dominate games but like many have said he's inconsistent and injury prone, the two of which are probably related. Remember Diaby away to Milan a few years back and away to fenerbache, he was unplayable. If he ever gets over his problems I'd hope to see more of that!

He has a bad temper, and doesn't assert himself on a game like how Vieira or Wilshere do. Going purely off ability, he should be at that standard, but he doesn't have the same bottle those guys do.

Nobody's saying he's a great character ala Vieira or Adams.

But do you really think that if Diaby was as fit as some players (ie. 30-40 games a year) his mentality would stop him from being a good player for us. Basically, do you think his mentality is one of his weakness? Or do you think, as I believe, his mentality is average, nothing special, and therefore has low impact of his football career.

Vieira comparisons to Diaby have and always will be stupid - they're not the same type of player and Diaby is never going to be "the next" Vieira, but he's not meant to be that so it doesn't matter. An in-form injury free Diaby would be a fantastic asset to both ours and France's midfield, Wenger's stuck by him for this long so he's obviously a talented player (anyone who chooses to quote this and claim Wenger should go/gets it wrong can **** off fwiw). Everyone who is currently moaning at Wenger for sticking by Diaby are the first people who would be blasting him for miss-management if we sold him to someone else and he started to become a great player for a different team.

Cazorla confirmed in an article on the FIFA website about Rondon signing for Rubin.

Malaga's Venezuelan international forward Salomon Rondon has signed a four-year deal with Russian first division side Rubin Kazan, the Spanish club confirmed today. The 22-year-old from Caracas will become the first Venezuelan to play in Russia.

"Malaga have reached agreement with Rubin Kazan for the transfer of Venezuelan forward Jose Salomon Rondon," the club said on their website. Rondon has scored 23 goals in 60 matches during his two seasons with Malaga, who qualified for the UEFA Champions League after finishing fourth last season.

Called up 11 times for Venezuela, Rondon arrived in Spain in 2008 from Aragua in his home country and played for Las Palmas in the second division for two seasons before joining top light side Malaga.

Rondon becomes the second Malaga player to leave in the last two days after Arsenal completed the signing of Spanish international midfielder Santiago Cazorla.

VDW would be a good buy, especially for the rumoured £7M that's going round imo, desperately need another RB as Jenkinson is out of his depth at this level and Sagna could be out until gone Christmas knowing our history with injuries. Have to admit I haven't really seen VDW play that much, just remember him as the guy who got a massive bollocking for bunking a Dutch friendly to go to a Lil Wayne gig :D

I really don't see us signing an international right back who would sit on the bench. However if it happens I would be happy with that. The signing of sahin I think says a lot about wilshere's fitness and what wenger expects of him

Also van persie sticking around talk is getting louder. Not sure it will mean a new contract though

An Arsenal with Robin van Persie is much stronger than an Arsenal without him.

Cazorla likely to be announced tomorrow, as it's already been said on here. Some talk from Málaga-based journalists that we'll include an affiliation link as part of the deal. Similar to the one we have with FC Lorient - purely as a club to send players on loan to increase their chances of first-team opportunities and development.

We've negotiated well this Summer. São Paulo are paying at least 80% of Denílson's wage, while we have an option to recall him if we receive a better offer from another club. We've also included a 50% sell-on clause in the Carlos Vela deal to Real Sociedad. Next Summer, we can re-sign Vela for around €4 million if we wanted to. Well done, Gazidis!

Is someone leaving soon?

With all the wingers/forwards you have:

Cazorla

Gervinho

Walcott

Oxlade-Chamberlain

Arshavin

Van Persie

Giroud

Podolski

Plus Vela, Bendtner, Park and Chamakh!

Not listing these to inform you all (I know you're more than aware :D) just wanted to see how many you had.

By the way, Cazorla is an immense signing, can't wait to see him play for you guys next season

Don't forget the Theo situation

Forgot about that yeah, really hope he stays but i dunno if Liverpool really want him i think he might go.

Not heard us being linked with a full back and that is one position i think we really do need a signing.

Is someone leaving soon?

With all the wingers/forwards you have:

Cazorla

Gervinho

Walcott

Oxlade-Chamberlain

Arshavin

Van Persie

Giroud

Podolski

Plus Vela, Bendtner, Park and Chamakh!

Not listing these to inform you all (I know you're more than aware :D) just wanted to see how many you had.

By the way, Cazorla is an immense signing, can't wait to see him play for you guys next season

Vela has left. I expect Cazorla to play in the middle of a 4-2-3-1. Which would mean We have the right number of other players. It's very strong though.

Forgot about that yeah, really hope he stays but i dunno if Liverpool really want him i think he might go.

Not heard us being linked with a full back and that is one position i think we really do need a signing.

Been linked with Van Der Viel. Unsure about the fullback positions would love a better left back but there aren't many good ones out there.

Also really want Theo to stay

Is someone leaving soon?

Although it hasn't been on arsenal.com, Vela has already been presented at Sociedad, Arshavin will probably be sold, Bendtner hasn't travelled to Germany - presumably because we're trying to sell him, I think Wenger has confirmed that Park is on his way out, and van Persie is of course also possibly/likely leaving. No idea if we'll be able to get rid of Chamakh.

We've been linked with VDW. Last year at Ajax, price quoted at £7m ish.

Great news that Cazorla is finally official. After Busquets tapping up last week, Iniesta now quoted as saying he'd "welcome" Song at Barcelona.

Wouldn't want him to go but for 20M+, then it's too good of an offer to refuse.

Arseblog reporting on Song's possible move to Barcelona

I hate it when Barcelona talks about our players. No class. This would give the possible Sahin deal a lot of sense. Wenger did speak of us already having enough central midfielders, but if we lose Song, then it'd make sense for us to pick up Sahin. Especially with fitness concerns of Wilshere, Diaby, and Rosicky.

Although I'd like to see a new LB (I don't like Santos, and Gibbs is too young) I don't expect any new fullback signing. Sagna is already one of the best in the league, and Wenger obviously rates Jenkinson very highly.

Although it hasn't been on arsenal.com, Vela has already been presented at Sociedad, Arshavin will probably be sold, Bendtner hasn't travelled to Germany - presumably because we're trying to sell him, I think Wenger has confirmed that Park is on his way out, and van Persie is of course also possibly/likely leaving. No idea if we'll be able to get rid of Chamakh.

i mean, we all expected these departures. We have to balance the books somehow. In fact, we welcome them because it means we're getting rid of deadwood, and hopefully bring in better players. We could lose as many as 5 strikers this summer, so I hope we pick up one more, especially if we lose RvP.

Personally I think that article is little better than Barca's media antics, painting Song as a greedy mercenary ready to jump ship at the first opportunity. Is there any evidence he's angling for a move away? I certainly haven't read of any, it's hardly his fault if Barca's players can't keep their mouths shout.

If you get rid of Song surely we have to go and look for a more defensive minded midfielder?

I figured bringing in Sahin would be to allow Song to go into more a ball winning role rather and save me the pain of watching Song waste so much possession by going for the failed killer ball so much.

Archived