League Cup: Winners

Top Scorer: Podolski, Giroud and Walcott all with 11

Top Assister: Gervinho

Will there be more signings: Yes

Will RVP be here 1st September: No

Youth player(s) to watch out for: Yennaris

Surprise player of the season: Santos

Disappointment of the season: Song

Hugo Lloris has, allegedly, rejected Spurs. Jean-Michel Aulas, Lyon's owner, has said;

"We had an offer but Hugo wants to go in a top 5 club [in Europe] so we refused them."

Yann M'Vila also rejected them today, too. Nuri Sahin's rejected them twice! Not sure if that has any place in here, but... :DSorry, Spurs fans.

being more of a realist type i don't see us as a club who can achieve that though without a massive amount of luck.

the season you've just typed out there would be incredible but it seems a bit of a dream to me. city, united and chelsea all better than us and we're underdogs for the title alone, second would be massive imo, i don't ever expect us to achieve 1st.

What about the strong links for Mirallas, ssn broadcast an odd interview with him where he said we were in contact with olympiakos, can't see him being any more than a back up!

He is a deecent player but no more than that. He would probably be a good signing for a team like Liverpool or Newcastle, but not Arsenal.

Finishing position: 2nd

Champions league: Winners

FA Cup: CAMPEONES

League cup: Quarter-Finals

Top Scorer: Theo, a healthy 17 goals before leaving

Top assister: Cazorla

Will there be more signings: Nobody major but maybe an Eisfeld or two.

Will RVP be here 1st September: Yes

Youth player to watch out for: Yennaris

Surprise player of the season: injury-free Abou Diaby to become consistent?

Disappointment of the season: Wilshere

I've not followed this pre-season as closely as I'd liked to have but I've got a healthy optimism. Reckon the squad is actually quite strong at the moment on the whole and we'll be able to challenge for the league title providing we maintain some continuity in terms of fitness and form. The signings we've made should lend to that happening anyway, without considering the old 'like a new signing' cliché potential for Wilshere and Diaby if they ever recover.

I reckon this'll do for Saturday:

Szczesny

Gibbs

Vermaelen

Koscielny

Coq

Song

Arteta

Cazorla

Podolski

Giroud

Gervinho

being more of a realist type i don't see us as a club who can achieve that though without a massive amount of luck.

the season you've just typed out there would be incredible but it seems a bit of a dream to me. city, united and chelsea all better than us and we're underdogs for the title alone, second would be massive imo, i don't ever expect us to achieve 1st.

This is sad to see.

Theo will sign a contract Bridport.

Hugo Lloris has, allegedly, rejected Spurs. Jean-Michel Aulas, Lyon's owner, has said;

Yann M'Vila also rejected them today, too. Nuri Sahin's rejected them twice! Not sure if that has any place in here, but... :DSorry, Spurs fans.

Don't apologise. That would mean you feel sorry for them, but quite frankly Spurs get what they deserve.

I expect the team to be: Woj; Jenkinson, Mertesacker, TV, Gibbs; Song, Arteta; Theo, Cazorla, Podolski; Giroud

Regarding Theo the lack of media speculation about his future is interesting as are his more determined performances in pre-season. Possibly he is being made to play for a contract of the size he wishes; which I have read is about 100k.

I don't think you should be reading the Sun for even rumours.

Why is it unforgivable on AW/Gazidis part? Whatever they end up doing, they're only doing what they think is best.

Just because you emotionally can't take RvP moving to Man Utd doesn't make it the wrong decision.

If you're against it because it'll strengthen Man Utd, don't you think Wenger is also aware of that? He's not out to destroy our club. If he sells to Man Utd for whatever price, it means he, the guy being paid to make the decisions, decided that it was the right thing to do. How is that unforgivable?

I don't think you should be reading the Sun for even rumours.

Why is it unforgivable on AW/Gazidis part? Whatever they end up doing, they're only doing what they think is best.

Just because you emotionally can't take RvP moving to Man Utd doesn't make it the wrong decision.

If you're against it because it'll strengthen Man Utd, don't you think Wenger is also aware of that? He's not out to destroy our club. If he sells to Man Utd for whatever price, it means he, the guy being paid to make the decisions, decided that it was the right thing to do. How is that unforgivable?

I can't even be bothered to reply to this. If you don't know then perhaps that's better for everyone.

What a despicable person RvP really is. After the glorious and dignified performances from all our athletes over the last few weeks, he has no class or shame. I hope Manure get him for a lot of money then shatters his ankle into a thousand pieces on Saturday.

It is circumstances like this that is ruining football. Money money money, that's all they care about.

I expect the team to be: Woj; Jenkinson, Mertesacker, TV, Gibbs; Song, Arteta; Theo, Cazorla, Podolski; Giroud

Regarding Theo the lack of media speculation about his future is interesting as are his more determined performances in pre-season. Possibly he is being made to play for a contract of the size he wishes; which I have read is about 100k.

No Kos?! What are you on man?

I don't like RVP going to Man U but I would rather that than we keep hold of him with little prospect of him signing a new deal. Also Gazidis and Wenger have negotiated well to get such a fee in this current market for a player with only one and half good seasons, one year left and a horrific injury record

I can't even be bothered to reply to this. If you don't know then perhaps that's better for everyone.

What a despicable person RvP really is. After the glorious and dignified performances from all our athletes over the last few weeks, he has no class or shame. I hope Manure get him for a lot of money then shatters his ankle into a thousand pieces on Saturday.

It is circumstances like this that is ruining football. Money money money, that's all they care about.

I think it's clear, particularly from Fergusons comments, that Wenger has been doing his utmost to avoid selling RVP to Utd but the interest from other clubs just hasn't been there apart from Juventus who have just had their manager banned for 10 months. It's entirely possible that RVP has made it clear he won't sign for anyone other than Utd and in that case there isn't really anything else Arsenal can do except keep him and lose him for nothing next year. If that is the case then I think selling now would be in the best interest of the club and far from unforgiveable.

It is Wenger and Gazidis that have allowed RvP to run his contract down to one year like Theo. That is unforgivable.

I love how everyone assumes that just because someone is offering £15-20m for RvP we should take it. Why? Make him stay and he HAS to have a good season. No one is going to sign a 30 year old injury prone player on the wages he wants. No-one. Why is that so hard to grasp????

It is Wenger and Gazidis that have allowed RvP to run his contract down to one year like Theo. That is unforgivable.

Allowed?

The season previously he was injured and had two years on his contract. So no need to renew, especially since he'd been so prone to injury for years.

Last season he shows good form and remains injury free, we try to talk about a new deal but he puts it off to the end of the season.

I'm failing to see what's "unforgivable" here at all. Stop being such a baby.

What should they have done? Given him a big pay rise two or three years ago when he was barely playing? That would have been a huge risk and I wouldn't have been too happy about it at the time.

They could hardly force him to sign a new one last summer, just as they can't force him to sign a new one now.

Allowed?

The season previously he was injured and had two years on his contract. So no need to renew, especially since he'd been so prone to injury for years.

Last season he shows good form and remains injury free, we try to talk about a new deal but he puts it off to the end of the season.

I'm failing to see what's "unforgivable" here at all. Stop being such a baby.

No need to renew? There was no need to renew one of your better players contracts?

So, tell me then, when would be the next acceptable time to start negotiating; if not at two years remaining?

Says RvP has no class or shame...proceed to wish pain on another human being....

I think you're a small minority if you have a problem with people protecting their personal interest. Most people I know have no problem whatsoever with RvP looking after his own career. He wants to play for what he believe is a better team, and gets paid a lot more money. If it was anyone of us, we'd do the same. You complain about money, but lets not forget that this is their job, their career. We can't expect all our players to have the same relationship we do with the club. It's his actual behavior and hypocrisy that people has a problem with.

His open statement was very disrespectful to the club he said he loves and respect. It weakens our position in the market and undermines the manager who supported him throughout his career. So lets not forget that either.

No need to renew? There was no need to renew one of your better players contracts?

So, tell me then, when would be the next acceptable time to start negotiating; if not at two years remaining?

When they've proved they can hold a level of fitness. He did, we offered, he stalled. Not sure what you're getting at?

What I'm getting at is stupidity has let one of your better talents (as he was regarded before last season, despite his injuries) contracts run down to a year (again). Regardless of fitness, you don't let your better players contracts run down. You just offer them an extension on the same wage if they are injury prone.

It's ok to blame him for stalling, but if you've just had the season of your life and a club comes in which basically guarantees medals and honours, you're going to take a look at the offer.

If you'd just extended his contract last summer by a year or two, he almost definitely wouldn't be leaving now.

What I'm getting at is stupidity has let one of your better talents (as he was regarded before last season, despite his injuries) contracts run down to a year (again). Regardless of fitness, you don't let your better players contracts run down. You just offer them an extension on the same wage if they are injury prone.

It's ok to blame him for stalling, but if you've just had the season of your life and a club comes in which basically guarantees medals and honours, you're going to take a look at the offer.

If you'd just extended his contract last summer by a year or two, he almost definitely wouldn't be leaving now.

He refused to negotiate last summer; there's not much the club can do about that. The opportunity presumably would have been the summer before - when he had three years remaining on his deal. Not only is that a bit early to offer a renewal, at that point he was a bit-part player (because of fitness rather than talent obviously).

So why was Diaby given a new contract then FFS?

Beats me. I do find Wenger's devotion to Diaby rather baffling.

His open statement was very disrespectful to the club he said he loves and respect. It weakens our position in the market and undermines the manager who supported him throughout his career. So lets not forget that either.

This is what I believe the fans are really angry about. It's not that he wants to go, we will survive, we always do. It's the way he has tried to engineer it.

He refused to negotiate last summer; there's not much the club can do about that. The opportunity presumably would have been the summer before - when he had three years remaining on his deal. Not only is that a bit early to offer a renewal, at that point he was a bit-part player (because of fitness rather than talent obviously).

Beats me. I do find Wenger's devotion to Diaby rather baffling.

Looking at this, http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/arsenal/8788318/Arsenal-fear-Robin-van-Persie-will-leave-as-contract-talks-stall.html and his quotes, he was probably disillusioned with what was going on at the club. You had just sold Fabregas, and I believe Clichy and Nasri both had a year on their contracts; a very similar situation to Van Persie now. That was probably the nail in the coffin; more stupid contract negotiations having a domino effect.

stupid contract negotiations? What are you on?

Clichy wasnt offered a contract and later sold because his performances were not up to scratch. Nasri had spent the previous seasons at Arsenal out of form and injured before that last season. We offered him an extension after the season had started, he stalled, was **** from Jan onwards and we sold him for £25m.

Remind me what was stupid about either of those situations? Why should we offer a contract to RvP with 3 years remaining when he had never completed a full season?

Looking at this, http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/arsenal/8788318/Arsenal-fear-Robin-van-Persie-will-leave-as-contract-talks-stall.html and his quotes, he was probably disillusioned with what was going on at the club. You had just sold Fabregas, and I believe Clichy and Nasri both had a year on their contracts; a very similar situation to Van Persie now. That was probably the nail in the coffin; more stupid contract negotiations having a domino effect.

Nasri is the only situation out of those that can be compared with Van Persie. As ajw points out the general feeling about Clichy was that Wenger was happy to move him on. Fabregas is obviously an entirely different situation.

Contract situations are always a balance, especially when it's concerning players who haven't fulfilled their perceived potential. We castigate the manager/club when there are poorly performing players on long contracts who can't be sold because of their wages (example: Joe Cole at your club; Bendtner at ours), but we also castigate them when players come good and then decide not to renew. No club is going to get it right all of the time, and most clubs, like Arsenal, have to keep a tight rein on the wage bill.

I don't know, when was his deal signed exactly? Do you even know or are you just reacting violently for the sake of it?

Oh so I'm reacting violently because I've proved you wrong?

Diaby was signed in 2006 and in 2009 was given a new long term deal after just 64 appearances since he joined. Why??

Oh so I'm reacting violently because I've proved you wrong?

Diaby was signed in 2006 and in 2009 was given a new long term deal. Why??

Haha, proved me wrong? Where? :D

Diaby's situation in 2009 was considerably better than it is now. He'd had some injury troubles but was mostly in the team. In 2008/09 and 2009/10 he made nearly 30 league appearances in each season, so the situation doesn't compare at all.

And here's Diabys stats....

Club Season League Cup[110] Europe Total

Apps Goals Assists Apps Goals Assists Apps Goals Assists Apps Goals Assists

Auxerre 2004–05 5 0 0 0 0 0 2 0 0 7 0 0

2005–06 5 1 0 0 0 0 2 0 0 7 1 0

Total 10 1 0 0 0 0 4 0 0 14 1 0

Arsenal 2005–06 12 1 1 2 0 0 2 0 0 16 1 1

2006–07 12 1 0 5 0 1 1 0 0 18 1 1

2007–08 15 1 1 7 1 1 6 2 0 28 4 2

2008–09 24 3 2 5 0 0 7 1 0 36 4 2

2009–10 29 6 4 1 0 0 10 1 2 40 7 6

2010–11 16 2 3 3 0 0 1 0 0 20 2 3