Senegal's Arsenal Thread 2012/2013 : featuring positive negativity

Retro

It's a fact Wenger has a history of selling players who gave their best for Arsenal and couldn't reproduce it at the new club. But he was also selling players cause it was almost forced on him by various factors. I fear this may be the case with Song. And I still am not sure if it would be beneficial for the team.

What sort of factors are you thinking of? If it's Kroenke/the board demanding the money then we have a problem. If it's Song demanding to leave then it might be best to let him go (but that sort of thing normally gets leaked to the media.) Otherwise it's Wenger thinking he can improve the team, unless I've missed something?

I'll withhold judgement on the effect it has on the team until we've got a replacement and I've seen a few matches.

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Who says we need to register them! That's the point. And the registration thing is fairly new, so a situation like this has never arisen.

EDIT: Just for clarity. We register a new 25 every season. Just because some were in it last season, or not doesn't change the fact that we still have to submit a new 25.

We're going in circles here; one of us is misunderstanding!

To be absolutely clear: it seems to me inherently very unlikely that Arsene Wenger will have players at the football club who cannot play in our main competition, the league. It seems to me that would conflict strongly with what he perceives as his duty of care to his players as footballers and people, and also with his essential thiftiness and economy.

Yes, it is possible to have unregistered players, but I cannot see a scenario in which Wenger does that. Do you see where I'm coming from now?

Absolutely agree with you in terms that Wenger wouldn't normally do something like that. But if he has no choice (i.e. under the new restrictions) then he would have to. But I don't think that issue would stop him from signing Sahin for example.

The thing is that he does have a choice, which is not signing the new player and instead keeping the old player in the first team squad, even when that old player wants to leave the club and/or Wenger wants him to leave the club. For example, I can easily see a scenario in which we start the season with Chamakh or Park or Bendtner as our third choice striker even though he's not wanted, simply because we haven't been able to sell him.

Am choking at Simmonds telling me to use my brain whilst ignoring the advice himself.

We must move players on, because Wenger and the board will not have unregistered players in the squad who are on 50k plus a week i.e Park. It makes no sense.

Am choking at Simmonds telling me to use my brain whilst ignoring the advice himself.

We must move players on, because Wenger and the board will not have unregistered players in the squad who are on 50k plus a week i.e Park. It makes no sense.

In what way haven't I used my brain? I never said we don't need to, I'm saying we may not be able to. But should that stop us signing players who might actually make a difference. No.

Looks as if we have lost out on him, sadly. Oliver Kay reporting that Liverpool will announce it tonight or tomorrow.

Shame, as it seemed he favoured us. Both Marca and AS said that Sahin preferred Arsenal, but Mourinho preferred Liverpool :thdn:

SSN also said earlier on that Alex Song's representatives are in Barcelona today 'thrashing out' a transfer.

But why would that stop us signing new players?

It is not financially viable to have a full 25 man squad, and also paying 3-4 senior players who aren't registered. If we can afford to not register what must be close to 200k/week worth of senior players, don't you think we would be offering RvP an even better contract? Our wage bill is already very high, and something that needs restructuring as it is.

If we can move out the deadwood, either through transfer or loan, then we can bring in the replacements, who will hopefully be better and strengthen us.

If we can't move them out, then no replacements can be signed, and we're stuck with them.

Manchester United have agreed a £24m deal to sign Arsenal striker Robin van Persie on a four-year contract. BBC :(

wow. 24 million. wow.

Such a ***** comment. He's not a traitor. This is hardly the same as Nasri / Adebayor douchebag-ness.

Nope. It's actually worse, I think.

£24m for a injury prone 28 year old, the same price as Nasri. Pretty good deal.

Gone down a lot in my estimations, but can't forget the contribution he made to the club, lets face it, without him we wouldn't have got 3rd last year.

Apparently Song's been told he can leave too :D

Llorente would be sweet, dominated the Utd defence last year (admittedly the only 2 games I've seen him play) so that's promising, but reminds me too much of Giroud and Chamakh as a player.

An RVP replacement would have to be able to drop deep, ping the passes about and be able to dictate play. I dunno who is around who can do that role, but I don't think Llorente is that man.

I'm clearly the only fan who doesn't feel any negativity towards him. I don't really blame him; it's a shame, but I understand why he's looking to move on. Let's say he's telling the truth about 'different ideas moving forward'; i'd leave my job to go somewhere else in that same situation.

We've let his contract run down, which was silly. He had a good season. Make a jump for it while you can, football is a bloody short career.

I still think it's massively different to Nasri and Adebayor; he didn't get all c*nt*sh.

Feel free to tell me how wrong I am.

The people calling Van Persie a 'traitor' are just morons. You can't blame him for leaving for United where he'll get paid more and probably have a greater chance of actually winning a trophy. You can't attack him just for something that he said to a newspaper reporter months ago, that's absurd.

The people calling Van Persie a 'traitor' are just morons. You can't blame him for leaving for United where he'll get paid more and probably have a greater chance of actually winning a trophy. You can't attack him just for something that he said to a newspaper reporter months ago, that's absurd.

Isn't that exactly why people hate Adebayor and Nasri? :D

Hardly surprising that RVP is a knob. I am pissed with how he has gone about this and shown no respect to the club in the process. I want to see at least some of the money invested in the squad which those who are in the know say the club intends to do

Well this is a shame, good luck to van Persie in winning stuff for Manchester United. It's a shame that he didn't want to stay but he has ambitions and I cannot begrudge him for that.

I don't see Arsenal doing too badly this season and I believe we will most likely finish third however I do not like the idea of strengthening our rivals and making the job harder for ourselves. Arsenal do have to replace van Persie however I feel that this will not happen as Wenger might feel that the current squad is good enough, which seeing as he see the squad more often than any of us do he might be right however it cannot hurt to have options for the inevitable injury crisis, loss of form and tactical decisions. Here's hoping for a good season

Archived