Liverpool Thread 2012/13

bell

I hope he is. The money should be there again though. We have more sponsorship revenue than ever and our wage bills has decreased. So why didnt they back Rodgers and reinvest it? The only way to further increase our revenue in the short term is to be back in the champions league. We won't get there without spending so they need to make their move.

• Replies 17.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think you understand where the sources of that money were. We got £50m for Torres before and money was invested from outside the club. Increased sponsorship and a lower wage bill can't necessarily match that, especially as afaia we were operating at a loss anyway before. We are in a finacially more secure position now, but that doesn't mean NESV have the money to invest from outside again, especially with funding for the stadium on the horizion.

also spending doesnt automatically get us back in the CL though, we could go and spend £100m really well, but still be competiting with Arsenal come the end of the season and missing out. the most important thing is to be sensible and not overstretch outselves, invest in youth and spend big on a few key positions and build the squad over the long term. it's all about the right player at the right time, for instance Dempsey at £6m would have been far better than another Carroll at £35m. Rodgers needs backing finacially, but that doesn't mean just throw £100m at the squad. Right player, right price.

I doubt there will be any external investment TBH. They paid £200m to by the club and it's not leveraged aginst us and the net transfer spending so far has been pretty much funded by our operating profit with perhaps a modest amount from the board.

There should be a hell of a lot of spare cash in the budget now though and dumping the likes of Downing and Cole can only help.

I wouldn't want outside investment it's not the best way to run a football club. But I believe we needed to spend more than we did last summer. Werner himself said we had the money to compete with anyone in football. Was this more PR or genuine? I still think sacking kenny was the wrong decision. I wanted him to be given time. I also believe had we had kenny I'm charge this season we would be in a better position than we are currently. That's not having a dig at Rodgers just the way I feel. I just think out owners are making constant mistakes on football matters. They remind me slightly of Lerner at Villa, more interested in cutting costs than improving the squad.

I know spending £100m won't magically give you 4th spot. But if they genuinely believe Rodgers is the best man to take our club forward they should've backed him. Surely he would spend the money well if he's their main target for the managers job?

I think it's telling that probably every single fan of every single Premier League club wishes you still had Kenny in charge. Make of that what you will

I don't, but then I can't stand him whinging to the media the whole time. Brendan Rogers is bad enough in that respect.

I think it's telling that probably every single fan of every single Premier League club wishes you still had Kenny in charge. Make of that what you will

In what way?because rodgers is so much better and so with kenny in charge most teams had a chance of winning?im not a liverpool fan but even if given time rodgers will do better than kenny would.Plus cant stand kenny's constant moaning and having a go at journalists for daring to ask a question that he didnt like.

We had 1 more shot than Swansea last night and lost 3-1. if you can't score the obvious thing to do is keep it tight at the other end.. we may be a team in transition but yet again a poor overall performance.. these players should have performance and result based pay, they would buck there ideas up then!!

Someone said Allen was poor last night? i just heard on tv Rodgers said Allen was the only midfielder that played well!?

We had 1 more shot than Swansea last night and lost 3-1. if you can't score the obvious thing to do is keep it tight at the other end.. we may be a team in transition but yet again a poor overall performance.. these players should have performance and result based pay' date=' they would buck there ideas up then!!

[b']Someone said Allen was poor last night? i just heard on tv Rodgers said Allen was the only midfielder that played well!?[/b]

I said Allen was poor. He kept giving the ball away and seemed to be caught in possession a fair few times in dangerous areas, which is unlike him. I also read that BR said he was excellent which left me scratching my head a bit, saying that though, I guess he's ever so slightly more qualified than I am to pass judgment.

Someone also said Allen was terrible in the derby, not sure if it was in here or a work colleague but I was left dumbfounded a little as I thought he done pretty well trying to run the midfield by himself. He has no help at all atm which is why we need Lucas back.

Also, I assume Rodgers knows exactly the reasons why he hasn't been giving a large budget and will have accepted that knowing that there would be funds in the future. Though, he has spent a good bit of money considering.

Rodgers and the fans want a striker in January, which leaves Borini either third choice or put out wide.

Well he has been out wide this season so not much will change there.

People talking about the owners already. :lol:

I don't think we realise how bad this squad is.

but thats exactly why the owners come into question! their remit from the day they came in was to trim the wage bill, which is all very good for the business but its left us with a threadbare squad and although there might be 3-4 more players on too much money can they really expect to be able to wait until theyve gone aswell?

lets face it, it'll be a miracle if we're able to get rid of cole before his contract runs out and downing and carroll will go at a huge loss no matter what.

now is the time to start rebuilding the squad to at least an acceptable level again otherwise we're gonna go nowhere fast.

That doesn't mean ******* money away like Dalglish and Comolli did. Get a grip people.

Yep, that 100m was basically our chance to get the team back into the top 4 in the short term, building back up to 2009 standards.

***** it all away, apart from Suarez, is why we’re in such a mess today.

I said Allen was poor. He kept giving the ball away and seemed to be caught in possession a fair few times in dangerous areas, which is unlike him. I also read that BR said he was excellent which left me scratching my head a bit, saying that though, I guess he's ever so slightly more qualified than I am to pass judgment.

Manager defend players at times? Is it possible Rodgers is starting to feel frustrated? he can only work with the tools he has but regardless of his playing style it currently seems we are playing the same way under previous managers which is below par..

did anyone see the Diouf attack on Gerrard and how people don't like him? I'm wondering how the team would play with out him in it, do players still look to him as some kind of god that is going to pull the string's in games?

When Liverpool was at there peak under Benitez they finished 2nd to Utd, That summer he wanted to buy Tevez and we ended up losing Alonso! One of Benitez's biggest mistakes.. had we of signed Tevez.. all the good younsters coming threw now was mostly down to Bentiez and how he set the club up..

Just hope we make some good signing's in this Jan window..

I thought we had got over the Rafa thing... apparently not.

The fanbase probably won't get over him until someone comes in and matches his achievements. Right now, the last 3 (including Rodgers) have/are falling woefully short. All these last 3 seasons, including this one, are showing is that when Rafa was here he did a fantastic job.

It's the only thing I'm critical of the owners for, that they never even held talks with him. When you admit yourself you know next to nothing about the sport at least talk to someone who obviously does instead of the two or three idiots they got their opinion of him from.

Archived