Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

• Replies 17.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, Breezybaby1 said:

Thank you but I’s there anymore that explains them a bit better

They show the relative risk a player is supposed to be taking, on a scale with 7 diffrent steps. There very defensive is most risk aversive and very attacking is the most risk taking.

Edited by Djuicer

2 minutes ago, Djuicer said:

They show the relative risk a player is supposed to be taking, on a scale with 7 diffrent steps. There very defensive is most risk aversive and very attacking takes the most risk taking.

Yeah something I’ve just learnt now in my good few years of fm lol so for example a player with a very attacking mentality is just focused on scoring which means if could lead to rush decisions or them shooting instead of passing? 

9 minutes ago, Breezybaby1 said:

Yeah something I’ve just learnt now in my good few years of fm lol so for example a player with a very attacking mentality is just focused on scoring which means if could lead to rush decisions or them shooting instead of passing? 

Yes but, things like attributes, your system and player traits also factors in. Nothing can really ever be looked at in isolation, its a sum of a lot of parts that makes up how a player act. Although broadly it is correct. Higher mentalites tend to be more rushed and often trying more dangerous plays, be it shooting or passing.

Edited by Djuicer

Just now, Djuicer said:

Yes but, things like attributes, your system and player traits also factors in. Nothing can really ever be looked at in isolation, its a sum of a lot of parts that makes up how a player act. Although broadly it is correct. Higher mentalites tend to be more rushed and often trying more dangerous plays. Be it shooting or passing.

Yeah I think fm need to do a better job of explaining stuff like that to fm newcomers cause that’s something you can’t find unless u accidentally stumble on it on one of these forms 

15 hours ago, Breezybaby1 said:

Mentality will affect the tempo and how much the players rush the decisions but also make them try more risky/frustrating things like a crossfield pass over the head of 2 opposition players, speculative shots and trying to dribble through half the opposition defence at one extreme. On the other your players will panic and kick the ball out or as far downfield as possible at the slightest sign of pressure, so it can be an interesting balancing act that all the settings together nudge one way or the other in terms of risk.

On 07/06/2020 at 15:03, Obaaa said:

Is there any way to get CBs/FBs/basically anyone playing deeper to play direct balls forward but along the ground? I would expect ball-playing defender on a positive team mentality and direct passing to attempt positive, direct passes forward but it seems all it encourages is aerial balls forward.

The pass I am looking for is from a CB into the feet of a striker or attacking midfielder who has moved into space further forward.

Anyone have any thoughts on this or is it worth a separate thread? This isn't something that should be dependent on system, I just want to know if it is achievable as I rarely see it.

1 hour ago, Obaaa said:

Anyone have any thoughts on this or is it worth a separate thread? This isn't something that should be dependent on system, I just want to know if it is achievable as I rarely see it.

Everything is dependent on the tactical system, but also on what happens on the pitch at any given point. The type of pass by your defender (or any player) also depends on the opposition. So if he estimates that a ground pass can be intercepted by opposition - and hence potentially lead to a counter-attack - he will likely prefer an aerial pass (over the top) as the safer option. 

1 hour ago, Experienced Defender said:

Everything is dependent on the tactical system, but also on what happens on the pitch at any given point. The type of pass by your defender (or any player) also depends on the opposition. So if he estimates that a ground pass can be intercepted by opposition - and hence potentially lead to a counter-attack - he will likely prefer an aerial pass (over the top) as the safer option. 

Interesting. A little vague, but interesting to know it can happen. One of the key tactical trends of the last few years has been defenders who can make progressive passes along the ground to strikers, wingers moving into the half-space etc...but it isn't something I have personally experienced being able to get working on FM.

1 hour ago, Obaaa said:

Interesting. A little vague, but interesting to know it can happen. One of the key tactical trends of the last few years has been defenders who can make progressive passes along the ground to strikers, wingers moving into the half-space etc...but it isn't something I have personally experienced being able to get working on FM.

I don't think I have EVER seen a long range pass along the ground in FM by any player, let alone the defenders. Certainly not how I imagine you are thinking. 

rB8ApFw2wHGAGIKSAB0PibO1wOM782.gif

Oh, I have a question for the ME guys.

Does a players mentality affect closing down at all?

I know visually there's no change in pressing intensity graphic, but I think this is broken anyway as it's a full green bar with 'less urgent' the description. I think I'm going mad but changing my wingers from Balanced to Attacking seems to have made them a bit more urgent in their pressing, but this could a) just be in my head, or b) because they're more attacking they're more advanced than they were so just closing down higher up the pitch.

For reference, my team instruction pressing intensity is extremely urgent and my team mentality is attacking.

Screenshot 2020-06-08 at 23.58.18.png

Screenshot 2020-06-08 at 23.58.33.png

34 minutes ago, fmFutbolManager said:

I know visually there's no change in pressing intensity graphic, but I think this is broken anyway as it's a full green bar with 'less urgent' the description

The answer lies here: 

34 minutes ago, fmFutbolManager said:

For reference, my team instruction pressing intensity is extremely urgent

It's a known UI bug, but the actual pressing of your player is maximum, despite being nominally represented as "less urgent". So don't worry :)

6 hours ago, fmFutbolManager said:

Does a players mentality affect closing down at all?

I know visually there's no change in pressing intensity graphic, but I think this is broken anyway as it's a full green bar with 'less urgent' the description. I think I'm going mad but changing my wingers from Balanced to Attacking seems to have made them a bit more urgent in their pressing, but this could a) just be in my head, or b) because they're more attacking they're more advanced than they were so just closing down higher up the pitch.

For reference, my team instruction pressing intensity is extremely urgent and my team mentality is attacking.

I've had issues with this in the past and I've reported it twice now, but it is working as intended, even though I think it isn't clear enough.

In this case, your team Pressing is at maximum, so lets say it is 10 out of 10. The less urgent means that those players players press a little less than the team setting, so they sit at 9 out of 10.

The "less urgent" makes it sound like they barely press, but that's not the case.

10 hours ago, fmFutbolManager said:

I don't think I have EVER seen a long range pass along the ground in FM by any player, let alone the defenders. Certainly not how I imagine you are thinking. 

rB8ApFw2wHGAGIKSAB0PibO1wOM782.gif

That's the one. Even to a lesser degree half the distance that one travelled. Thanks for the example!

On 09/06/2020 at 00:40, Experienced Defender said:

The answer lies here: 

It's a known UI bug, but the actual pressing of your player is maximum, despite being nominally represented as "less urgent". So don't worry :)

So when pressing intensity is very urgent it is at the maximum 20/20 irrespective of whether the team mentality is very defensive or very attacking, and moreover regardless of whether a player has a defensive or attacking mentality. They will always press with the same intensity?

Seems strange to be completely decoupled, but good to know. Perhaps it's more situational then. 

46 minutes ago, fmFutbolManager said:

So when pressing intensity is very urgent it is at the maximum 20/20 irrespective of whether the team mentality is very defensive or very attacking, and moreover regardless of whether a player has a defensive or attacking mentality. They will always press with the same intensity?

No, they will not press with the same intensity under different mentalities, because the (team) mentality automatically affects all instructions including the pressing urgency. But they will press with the maximum intensity that is "allowed" by that particular mentality. 

56 minutes ago, Experienced Defender said:

No, they will not press with the same intensity under different mentalities, because the (team) mentality automatically affects all instructions including the pressing urgency. But they will press with the maximum intensity that is "allowed" by that particular mentality. 

Now you're confusing me.

I asked, "Does a players mentality affect closing down at all?" with the added context of the team instruction being to press very urgently and you answered, "...the actual pressing of your player is maximum", implying that it wouldn't change. Now you're saying, "No, they will not press with the same intensity under different mentalities".

So mentality does affect pressing then, even when set to very urgent under the team instruction? I just want to be absolutely clear here before I start telling people that changing the mentality affects pressing intensity, even when using the very urgent pressing intensity instruction.

Edited by fmFutbolManager

2 minutes ago, fmFutbolManager said:

Now you're confusing me.

I asked, "Does a players mentality affect closing down at all?" with the added context of the team instruction being to press very urgently and you answered, "...the actual pressing of your player is maximum", implying that it wouldn't change. Now you're saying, "No, they will not press with the same intensity under different mentalities"

Well, a player's individual mentality is defined by the team mentality and his duty. Therefore, if the team mentality is higher, he will logically press more than if the team mentality was lower (and vice versa), with all else being equal. 

5 minutes ago, fmFutbolManager said:

So mentality does affect pressing then, even when set to very urgent under the team instruction?

Yes. Because the mentality affects everything. The maximum pressing urgency under a defensive mentality is lower than under a more attacking mentality. Therefore, extremely urgent pressing is different when you play on the positive than on the balanced or defensive or any other. 

The same applies to other instructions - passing style/directness, tempo, creative freedom and freedom of movement, width, tackling intensity...

34 minutes ago, Experienced Defender said:

Well, a player's individual mentality is defined by the team mentality and his duty. Therefore, if the team mentality is higher, he will logically press more than if the team mentality was lower (and vice versa), with all else being equal. 

This is what I was getting at.

I switched from Inverted Wingers to Inside Forwards because I wanted my wingers to have a higher mentality and I noticed their pressing improved as a result; they seemed to be a lot more intense than before. I put this own to the increased mentality with the role out there and glad I wasn't just seeing things.

11 hours ago, Gee_Simpson said:

How much of an effect does a players preferred side have or is it not important?

4 hours ago, HUNT3R said:

It has no effect.

Ah, why didn't I know this when I was managing Man Utd (in relation to Pogba's left-side preference) :rolleyes: :lol:

1 minute ago, Experienced Defender said:

Ah, why didn't I know this when I was managing Man Utd (in relation to Pogba's left-side preference) :rolleyes: :lol:

:D It just helps AI team selection so it's a bit more realistic. Other than that, it does nothing.

20 minutes ago, mikcheck said:

Hi there. Would you put both BBM and CWB(s) in attacking unit?

It's little risky choice, because someone may learn a negative trait from the other.

But it depends from players

What problems can I have in my tactic, if my Advanced Forward have the "Comes Deep To Get Ball" trait? (Will he sometime play like DLF or it's OK for player to have "!" in role description with wrong player trait for this role?) 

Not a tactical/training question, but I don't think it warrants a new thread: why can't I get a Senior Affiliate in English League One? Started the save in Vanarama North and kept asking continuously for years as I progressed through the leagues, but without success. They agree with looking for one, but never find it. I know that some clubs can get it immediately, so what influences that? Reputation? Facilities? Certain chairman attributes?

19 minutes ago, JDhamm said:

Not a tactical/training question, but I don't think it warrants a new thread: why can't I get a Senior Affiliate in English League One? Started the save in Vanarama North and kept asking continuously for years as I progressed through the leagues, but without success. They agree with looking for one, but never find it. I know that some clubs can get it immediately, so what influences that? Reputation? Facilities? Certain chairman attributes?

My question as well.

Happens in my long save (Scotland).

@EnigMattic1 I fear your question (on defending from the front) is one of those that require analysis of your tactic as a whole and hence cannot be dealt with in this quickfire thread. Therefore, please start a separate thread and ask again (preferably with a screenshot of the tactic included). Thank you :thup:

57 minutes ago, Sebas said:

Whats the difference between the PPM "comes deep to get the ball" and "likes ball played into feet"? does the second one discourages forward runs as the first one does?

These are 2 entirely different traits and have nothing to do with each other. "Comes deep to get the ball" means that the player is willing to drop deeper in order to receive the ball and thus help teammates organize attacks in the early phase of build-up. "Likes ball played into feet" is clear - the player prefers his teammates to pass the ball to his feet as opposed to into space. 

19 minutos atrás, Experienced Defender disse:

These are 2 entirely different traits and have nothing to do with each other. "Comes deep to get the ball" means that the player is willing to drop deeper in order to receive the ball and thus help teammates organize attacks in the early phase of build-up. "Likes ball played into feet" is clear - the player prefers his teammates to pass the ball to his feet as opposed to into space. 

Does that mean that the player won't do a run behind the defensive line if a good opportunity arises?

25 minutes ago, mikcheck said:

Does that mean that the player won't do a run behind the defensive line if a good opportunity arises?

Conventional wisdom does seem to say, yes that is less likely:

Courtesy fmscout:

Likes Ball Played Into Feet:
Definition: Increases the likelihood of a player showing and asking for passes into his feet rather than into space or a different part of the body.
Attributes: Strength, First Touch, Composure.
Trait: This could be a good trait for hold up players and strikers in order to allow players running by and to open up space. However this can be seen as a real negative trait; rather than trying to open up space and run beyond to create room or better passing opportunities, a player will request the ball to be passed directly to them and spoil creative opportunities.

And passion4fm:

Likes Ball Played Into Feet

This increases the chance of a player showing and asking for passes into his feet rather than into space or a different part of his body, such as his head.

It’s suited for players who are less mobile and does not possess the off the ball movement, stamina and work rate to roam into open space. The trait can be used in a system where you rely on passes into space, but where you want the players to target a specific playmaker who can take advantage of the ball by making through balls towards players getting forward and into space.

This trait is more an individual preference of where he want the ball rather than a tactical instruction, and means the player will be less likely to run into space but rather wait for the all to arrive at his feet.

It can be suited for a more stationary player playing a possession game, such as an Enganche or Target Men. It can also be suited for Wingers or Inside Forwards who got lower acceleration and off the ball, as they are better at taking advantage of the ball, perhaps with dribbling and flair.

Key Attributes: First Touch and Technique
Secondary Attributes: Passing, Balance and Dribbling

Hi there! 

I am new on the forum although I've been reading it for most of my football manager problems. Now I got to a problem I couldn't find anything about so I decided to ask here.

I got a player that is the most important for me, I am trying to build around him and it is Pedri. For first year it was going really well and his development was great (around 15 attributes up). But now in the second season his developing completely stopped and it is not changing no matter what I do. He is at 151 CA for few months now. He is getting playing time(he is very happy with it although he is not getting too much, just as sub but regularly). Other young players are actually developing fine. I'll be really grateful if anyone would have some suggestion that might help. 

Thank you!

Edit: I am playing Football manager 2020.

Edited by Badnjak64

7 hours ago, Badnjak64 said:

Hi there! 

I am new on the forum although I've been reading it for most of my football manager problems. Now I got to a problem I couldn't find anything about so I decided to ask here.

I got a player that is the most important for me, I am trying to build around him and it is Pedri. For first year it was going really well and his development was great (around 15 attributes up). But now in the second season his developing completely stopped and it is not changing no matter what I do. He is at 151 CA for few months now. He is getting playing time(he is very happy with it although he is not getting too much, just as sub but regularly). Other young players are actually developing fine. I'll be really grateful if anyone would have some suggestion that might help. 

Thank you!

Probably has been reached his PA.

10 hours ago, Badnjak64 said:

Hi there! 

Thank you!

If you look in his report you can see how close he is to reaching his full CA. It will tell you whether he will develop alot of slightly. He might have reached his full potential already. 

Well, it is Pedri so his potential range si 170-190 I think so his 151 CA at the moment shouldnt be enough? In report his CA is at 3 stars and PA at 4 golden stars and 5 black. His report also says: Could improve a lot in the future. His personality is spirited and he is very happy with training. Also coaches are all the time reporting that he is doing well in training.

Does players have this kind of slumps maybe and will continue to develope at some time? Although this is going on for 8 months now. Could mentoring or individual training somehow affect this? 

1. Does the Underlap/Overlap make sense in a system without wingers/wide players?

2. Does the Underlap/Overlap only instruct the Fullbacks/Wing-backs to do so?

Edited by AceCream

10 hours ago, AceCream said:

1. Does the Underlap/Overlap make sense in a system without wingers/wide players?

2. Does the Underlap/Overlap only instruct the Fullbacks/Wing-backs to do so?

Overlap & Underlap TI, has an impact of Player Mentality within a tactic and general Team Mentality.

You can have a Balanced Team Mentality and WB with Very Attacking Mentality if you add Overlap etc.