Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

4 minutes ago, Luizinho said:

Yes I understand that, but are we able to see the level?

I fear not. 

4 minutes ago, Luizinho said:

I was pretty sure that 'Take More Risks' just encouraged them to play more through balls and didn't alter the players creative freedom?

Well, playing risky passes is directly related to creative freedom. 

• Replies 17.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• SI Staff
On 21/05/2020 at 15:07, Djuicer said:

@Seb Wassell the look for over/underlap setting alter mentality.  The description also say that the wide player infront of the full back will hold up the ball. Is this like a PI? Or like the PPM dwells on the ball? Or just a butterfly effect from the lowered mentality? 

Dwells On Ball does is not the same as Hold Up Ball.

Overlap/Underlap means the player ahead of them is going to look to hold up the ball and wait for the supporting player's run when appropriate. Like all instructions, the effectiveness of this is dictated by your other tactical instructions and the players' attributes.

2 hours ago, Seb Wassell said:

Dwells On Ball does is not the same as Hold Up Ball.

Overlap/Underlap means the player ahead of them is going to look to hold up the ball and wait for the supporting player's run when appropriate. Like all instructions, the effectiveness of this is dictated by your other tactical instructions and the players' attributes.

Is the Underlap directly related to the run of the fullback? (ie. Can it encourage a Mezzela or other midfielder to underlap a Winger?)

With pre-season, is it important to take charge of the matches yourself so you can better rotate your players to improve their match sharpness? For the first time in almost 18 seasons I let my AM take control of them, and this season the injuries are piling up. Not sure if that's the cause but it does make me wonder.

On 06/05/2020 at 23:56, Gee_Simpson said:

I wonder if 'tries tricks' PPM is actually noticeable in the ME though? What do they do differently?

Yes, it is. I had a player with that trait and you could see slight movements, sudden stops and bursts of pace resembeling tricks. Sometimes will even make opposition player do sliding tackle and then dribble past them leeving them on the ground.

4 hours ago, ashlfcowen said:

With pre-season, is it important to take charge of the matches yourself so you can better rotate your players to improve their match sharpness? For the first time in almost 18 seasons I let my AM take control of them, and this season the injuries are piling up. Not sure if that's the cause but it does make me wonder.

I don't know what other will say, but I personally always take charge not just of the matches but also training. However, I really cannot tell for sure if that's reason for your problem with injuries. 

I figure this would fit within tactic questions as I use it to guide my tactical analysis ahead of big games. What is the difference between good Data Analysis facilities and state of the art ones? Similarly, how does a higher Presenting Data (etc) stat improve the data analysis of a team? Is it quality of data, more data, or something else? If it is more data, what data is added? 

Also, is it true that height has essentially no importance when it comes to winning the ball, other than to dictate jumping reach? For example, a 5'10 player with 20 jumping reach will regularly win the ball against a 6'5 player with 14 jumping reach, assuming all other stats are the same between the two players?

Edited by Tilling

2 hours ago, Tilling said:

is it true that height has essentially no importance when it comes to winning the ball, other than to dictate jumping reach? For example, a 5'10 player with 20 jumping reach will regularly win the ball against a 6'5 player with 14 jumping reach, assuming all other stats are the same between the two players?

As far as I know - yes (speaking of who is more likely to win an aerial challenge). 

2 hours ago, Tilling said:

Also, is it true that height has essentially no importance when it comes to winning the ball, other than to dictate jumping reach? For example, a 5'10 player with 20 jumping reach will regularly win the ball against a 6'5 player with 14 jumping reach, assuming all other stats are the same between the two players?

Height influences whether a player even needs to jump for a ball. For a lower ball, a 6'5 player may not need to jump where a 5'10 might.

You also won't get a player who is 5'10 and 20JR as it's not physically possible to 'reach' that high. Likewise, you won't see a 6'5 player with 1 for JR. There are ranges for different player heights.

But yes, JR only determines the height a player can reach.

@Cal585 Sorry, but I had to remove your question because it definitely requires a separate thread. Questions regarding tactics and tactical styles are inherently more complex than what this quickfire thread is intended for.

So please start that separate thread and you'll get advice there.  

On 23/05/2020 at 19:03, HUNT3R said:

Height influences whether a player even needs to jump for a ball. For a lower ball, a 6'5 player may not need to jump where a 5'10 might.

You also won't get a player who is 5'10 and 20JR as it's not physically possible to 'reach' that high. Likewise, you won't see a 6'5 player with 1 for JR. There are ranges for different player heights.

But yes, JR only determines the height a player can reach.

Thanks; so I'm correct in saying that a 6'0 player with 14 jumping reach and a 6'4 player with 14 jumping reach won't see any difference in their header success rates, assuming all other things are kept constant? Cheers.

Also, any ideas on the Data Analysis question?

6 hours ago, Tilling said:

Thanks; so I'm correct in saying that a 6'0 player with 14 jumping reach and a 6'4 player with 14 jumping reach won't see any difference in their header success rates, assuming all other things are kept constant? Cheers.

They can reach the same height, yes, so stats should be similar.

As for the other question - I don't know. It's worth asking in GD as it's not directly tactical.

Does anyone know if player traits override instructions or is it the other way around? I've asked my BBM to 'Dribble Less' but I've scouted a very good BBM with 'Runs With Ball Often' as a trait so I'm just wondering which one overrides the other. 

4 hours ago, Alfie31796 said:

Does anyone know if player traits override instructions or is it the other way around? I've asked my BBM to 'Dribble Less' but I've scouted a very good BBM with 'Runs With Ball Often' as a trait so I'm just wondering which one overrides the other

Traits do not literally "override" instructions, but they do take precedence over them.

When does the finishing attribute become irrelevant? Like I mean, how far out before the long shots attribute takes precedent, outside of the area? Or does finishing always have some impact? I would imagine technique always has an impact. 

Edited by Gee_Simpson

7 hours ago, Gee_Simpson said:

When does the finishing attribute become irrelevant? Like I mean, how far out before the long shots attribute takes precedent, outside of the area? Or does finishing always have some impact? I would imagine technique always has an impact. 

The manual describes this.

Long Shots

This is the player’s prowess at shooting from distance – from outside the penalty area. It is largely a stand-alone attribute but pay attention to any PPMs the player may have which complement their Long Shots rating.

10 hours ago, HUNT3R said:

The manual describes this.

Long Shots

This is the player’s prowess at shooting from distance – from outside the penalty area. It is largely a stand-alone attribute but pay attention to any PPMs the player may have which complement their Long Shots rating.

Thanks. 

In this:

tJ4hsfe.jpg

What are the actual attributes measured under for example attacking? (looking for every group if someone knows)

Edited by Djuicer

1 minute ago, Djuicer said:

In this:

tJ4hsfe.jpg

What are the actual attributes under for example attacking? (looking for every group if someone knows)

This is a good question, and I myself am also not sure about it. I would assume the attacking (in this context) would include off the ball, passing, crossing, finishing, long shots...

But I guess @Seb Wassell knows the exact answer.

Just now, Experienced Defender said:

This is a good question, and I myself am also not sure about it. I would assume the attacking (in this context) would include off the ball, passing, crossing, finishing, long shots...

But I guess @Seb Wassell knows the exact answer.

Yes, the two players compared for example

1. Have vison 16 which shows in the image as 14. Anticipation is 15. Flair 12.
  2. Have 15 and it shows as 15. Anticipation is 16 too. Flair 15.

Although I have no clue if those are in the vision category..

1 hour ago, Djuicer said:

Yes, the two players compared for example

1. Have vison 16 which shows in the image as 14. Anticipation is 15. Flair 12.
  2. Have 15 and it shows as 15. Anticipation is 16 too. Flair 15.

Although I have no clue if those are in the vision category..

@Djuicer - https://www.passion4fm.com/football-manager-player-attributes/

Scroll down to "The Attribute Analysis - The polygon" section.

AML/AMR Winger vs. ML/MR Winger. Same PIs, same attribute requirements. What is the actual difference? I guess AM strata starts pressing sooner in defensive phase, but is that all?

Might sound stupid, but I struggle to pin-point differences between 4-4-2 and 4-2-4, for example, since roles can be virtually the same...

8 hours ago, DiStru_ said:

AML/AMR Winger vs. ML/MR Winger. Same PIs, same attribute requirements. What is the actual difference? I guess AM strata starts pressing sooner in defensive phase, but is that all?

Might sound stupid, but I struggle to pin-point differences between 4-4-2 and 4-2-4, for example, since roles can be virtually the same...

The way the players are set up on the tactics screen are their positions when defending I believe so if that is the case the difference would be that the wide players would be further up the pitch and you would not have two banks of four in a 4-4-2 with AM wingers.

When playing counterattacking tactics, is using a DLP a bad idea? 

I have a pretty good DLP I want to take advantage of (good vision, good pass) but I worry it would go against the principal of the tactic. Thought, with the "counter" option ticked maybe the match engine will dismiss the DLP=ball magnet logic? 

11 hours ago, Cassius said:

When playing counterattacking tactics, is using a DLP a bad idea? 

While a counter-attacking tactic does not necessarily require a playmaker, it's not inherently wrong to use a DLP as a role. But for more detailed discussion and potential advice on that, you'll have to start a separate thread specifically about your own tactic. 

Il y a 18 heures, Experienced Defender a dit :

While a counter-attacking tactic does not necessarily require a playmaker, it's not inherently wrong to use a DLP as a role. But for more detailed discussion and potential advice on that, you'll have to start a separate thread specifically about your own tactic. 

just did, thanks ER!

23 hours ago, Nix0n said:

Where to find the tactics of Lobanovsky Dynamo Kiev?

I made an attempt for FM19: 

It's still an ongoing project of mine and I would do several things differently now, but it's really difficult to recreate for a variety of reasons that transcend the boundaries of this quickfire thread.

Also, if I remember correctly, @crusadertsar had a series of posts about it sometime in the past.

About 'Automatic' duty: I know it switches between Defend/Support/Attack depending on team mentality, but does it get the same instructions in those scenarios?

For example, a WB-At has

FT6DU.png

Whilst WB-Au on a 'Very Attacking' team mentality has:

FT6F9.png

Would the WB-Au get all the PI's that the WB-At get? Or would he only get the individual mentality change and the only PI would be 'Run Wide With Ball'?

I have some opposition instructions that I want to set for certain positions, regardless of who I'm playing. I've applied this on Tactics > Opposition Instructions > Positions (tab).

Unfortunately this doesn't seem to be carried over when I start a match and I have to apply everything again.

Is this a known bug or can anyone shed any light on what I'm doing wrong?

6 hours ago, HowlitzerUK said:

I have some opposition instructions that I want to set for certain positions, regardless of who I'm playing. I've applied this on Tactics > Opposition Instructions > Positions (tab).

Unfortunately this doesn't seem to be carried over when I start a match and I have to apply everything again.

Are you sure it's not set on players tab, and not positions tab ? 

As I know before a game OI are set on players tab

Edited by who_is_it

6 hours ago, HowlitzerUK said:

You have to do the following:

Screenshot_2.thumb.png.ea6e6e3684efe71bffe7614a8ddb5f89.png

The "blue" ones

Is there any way to get CBs/FBs/basically anyone playing deeper to play direct balls forward but along the ground? I would expect ball-playing defender on a positive team mentality and direct passing to attempt positive, direct passes forward but it seems all it encourages is aerial balls forward.

The pass I am looking for is from a CB into the feet of a striker or attacking midfielder who has moved into space further forward.

I'm playing FM 18, so old training system

I read that changing your tactic according to your next opponent is better, before a 4-3 days of the game because that's allow your players to train on the new instructions.

Is this true ?

Edited by who_is_it