Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

2 hours ago, ScoreMore (Mico) said:

If that is SI´s official position it is confusing to say the least. Because (1) if it is an UI issue, why has not it been fixed in patches? (shouldn´t be too difficult) and (2) it´s not just here. Even during the match, you can see ass man feedback that working on set pieces is creating chances when I wouldn´t have worked on set pieces prior to that particular match. I´m not saying that you don´t know what you´re saying, just saying that is very confusing from SI as these are 2 contradictory types of feedback which should be fairly easy to fix.

This was the reason I posted the question. I see tge same report. 

• Replies 17.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

19 horas atrás, mikcheck disse:

Hi. I wonder if using prevent gk distribution ruins the effect of having a normal/lower LOE? Or is it different things? Because I assume that it doesn't make sense to use prevent gk distribution and then using a normal/lower LOE.

I'm asking this because I want to have a bit of space behind their backline  to explore my RMD (hence the normal LOE, but also split block), but at the same time I don't want the gk to have much time to think.

Someone pls?

2 hours ago, mikcheck said:

Someone pls?

Prevent short GKD can work together with a lower or standard LOE. That's a general answer to your specific question. If you want more detailed advice, start a separate thread and post a screenshot of the whole tactic there.

Any really good explanation on "Pass into space"? If I use it, my players lose a lot of balls trying passing into space. If I am not using it they actually never play through ball. Even though most of them have trait "Try killer balls often."

Edited by Aksi92

1 hour ago, Aksi92 said:

Any really good explanation on "Pass into space"? If I use it, my players lose a lot of balls trying passing into space. If I am not using it they actually never play through ball. Even though most of them have trait "Try killer balls often."

Encourages the players to make passes into open space in front of a teammate (as opposed to his feet), but should not be confused with risky passes a.k.a. through balls, because not every single pass into space will be a risky pass/through ball. Also, using the PiS team instruction does not mean that all passes will be played into space and never to feet. Instead, it just encourages players to make more those passes into space than they otherwise would. 

In short, using the Pass into space TI does not guarantee that your players will play killer balls. But it can potentially lead to more frequent losses of possession. 

19 hours ago, Experienced Defender said:

Encourages the players to make passes into open space in front of a teammate (as opposed to his feet), but should not be confused with risky passes a.k.a. through balls, because not every single pass into space will be a risky pass/through ball. Also, using the PiS team instruction does not mean that all passes will be played into space and never to feet. Instead, it just encourages players to make more those passes into space than they otherwise would. 

In short, using the Pass into space TI does not guarantee that your players will play killer balls. But it can potentially lead to more frequent losses of possession. 

Is there any way to achieve my players to "pass into space" just to AMRL and ST positions? I dont want them to pass like that to my AMC for example, who is not very fast player and its a lot better if he gets the ball to his feet.

Edited by Aksi92

1 hour ago, Aksi92 said:

Is there any way to achieve my players to "pass into space" just to AMRL and ST positions? I dont want them to pass like that to my AMC for example, who is not very fast player and its a lot better if he gets the ball to his feet.

There probably is, but that would require you to start a separate thread and post a screenshot of your tactic there (not here), because no single tactical instruction will make your players do something on its own. 

What is the best view to effectively manage during the match? I has been using the 3d engine but its really hard to get any idea of where the opposition are defending etc..., does the traditional 2d top down view provide better insights or am I just not making enough use of the analysis tools. How often should I be tweaking my instructions per game?

17 minutes ago, Mat_K said:

What is the best view to effectively manage during the match? I has been using the 3d engine but its really hard to get any idea of where the opposition are defending etc..., does the traditional 2d top down view provide better insights or am I just not making enough use of the analysis tools

I personally prefer to watch matches on the 2D. But when it comes to post-match analysis. I usually watch highlights on the sideline option in 3D. 

19 minutes ago, Mat_K said:

How often should I be tweaking my instructions per game?

There is really no definite answer to this question. The less you need to tweak, the better (because that means your basic tactic is well-designed and suits your players). 

3 hours ago, mikcheck said:

I know that the CF does, but does the MEZ(a) and IW(s) also have a greater level of creative freedom hardcoded?

The mezzala definitely has a lot of freedom, both of creativity and movement, especially on attack duty. Not so sure about the IW. 

6 hours ago, Mat_K said:

What is the best view to effectively manage during the match? I has been using the 3d engine but its really hard to get any idea of where the opposition are defending etc..., does the traditional 2d top down view provide better insights or am I just not making enough use of the analysis tools. How often should I be tweaking my instructions per game?

I was thinking about this a lot over the last couple weeks as I was tweaking how I approach matches. What has worked for me, and I suspect it's good general principles, is that you want to use 2D when you're at the early stages of developing a tactic and your major concerns are spacing/general movement, as it gives you a better idea of things like team shape. Once you've got things to the level where you're happy that overall, your instructions are getting the team to do what you want, switching to 3D can reveal things that are "hidden" in the 2D representation, like seeing that the reason that a player is consistently flubbing 1-on-1s is because he's reliably taking them with his weaker foot, so you might want to have him learn some PPMs to help with that, or change the tactic up so that you can get more scoring chances on his good foot. Experienced Defender's approach seems like it would get you both.

About how long should you have to wait before the Tactical Familiarity bar starts ticking up? I (perhaps unwisely) put in three new tactics during the offseason and despite doing almost nothing aside from General - Tactical/Tactical - Offensive Shadow/Tactical - Defensive Shadow, Tactical Familiarity is still bottomed out at the end of October.

4 hours ago, scratchmonkey said:

About how long should you have to wait before the Tactical Familiarity bar starts ticking up? I (perhaps unwisely) put in three new tactics during the offseason and despite doing almost nothing aside from General - Tactical/Tactical - Offensive Shadow/Tactical - Defensive Shadow, Tactical Familiarity is still bottomed out at the end of October.

The answer is: "you should have your players selected in the Tactic before looking at Tactical Familiarity, you dope."

Only been playing this game for 20 years folks!

Hi.

When creating a tactic, does the base tactical style matter? For example, if I created a gegenpressing tactic with the Gegenpress tactical style as a base and the exact same tactic (TIs, PIs and formation) with Park the Bus tactical style as a base instead, would they play differently? Also, does base tactical style affect training schedules if left to assman?

Thank you!

4 hours ago, wingwangwong said:

When creating a tactic, does the base tactical style matter? For example, if I created a gegenpressing tactic with the Gegenpress tactical style as a base and the exact same tactic (TIs, PIs and formation) with Park the Bus tactical style as a base instead, would they play differently?

If they are the exact same tactic, they will not play differently, regardless of their respective base tactics (presets). 

4 hours ago, wingwangwong said:

Also, does base tactical style affect training schedules if left to assman?

As far as I know, it does. But given that I neither use preset tactics nor leave my training to the assman, I cannot be 100% sure.

I can confirm that it does because I'm lazy and don't create my own training schedules, instead, I have the assman set them and then manually modify them the week before.

(You may say, isn't manually updating next week's training more work than taking the time to set up schedules that you can use over and over again? I say, get out of here with your witchcraft!)

Thanks! Got a couple more questions!

For the TI Overlap and Underlap, they "instruct players on the left/right flank to hold on to the ball". Does flank mean the entire half of the pitch or just the wide midfielder and fullback bit of pitch? For example, will my MCL look for the AML or WBL to overlap if I have Overlap Left switched on? Or, will my MCL look for the MCR to underlap if Underlap Left is on instead?

Also, not directly a tactics question but does the Vision attribute affect shooting and dribbling decision making as well? The description in-game mentions "potential openings" which sounds like it could be applied to shooting and dribbling too.

5 minutes ago, wingwangwong said:

For the TI Overlap and Underlap, they "instruct players on the left/right flank to hold on to the ball". Does flank mean the entire half of the pitch or just the wide midfielder and fullback bit of pitch?

Only the wide players' area of the pitch (fullbacks, wing-backs, wingers etc.). 

6 minutes ago, wingwangwong said:

or example, will my MCL look for the AML or WBL to overlap if I have Overlap Left switched on? Or, will my MCL look for the MCR to underlap if Underlap Left is on instead?

No. Overlaps and underlaps affect only wide players. 

7 minutes ago, wingwangwong said:

Also, not directly a tactics question but does the Vision attribute affect shooting and dribbling decision making as well? The description in-game mentions "potential openings" which sounds like it could be applied to shooting and dribbling too

No. These openings pertain to passes. So player with good vision will be able to see an opportunity for a potentially risky pass (such as the killer ball).

Hey guys,

Should I use the two remaining slots for creating different formations, or use the same formation but with different mentalities and instructions for opponents that are for example more open and opponents who are extremely defensive?

Thank you in advance. :)

Edited by Experienced Defender
edited the part that requires a separate thread

Hi. If I have a  right footed player on the right wing, playing as a IW, would he still be able to pass to my RMD on the left? 

I'm asking this because I have a left footed one there and he makes some nice passings when he cuts insided. But I'm looking for his replacement, and the ones with the attributes I want, are right footed

Edited by mikcheck

@Mr. Buttons I had to edit out (remove) the first part of your post, because that type of question is definitely not a quickfire one. So if you want some advice on that particular question (playing against parked bus), then you need to start your own separate thread.

Thank you.

2 hours ago, Mr. Buttons said:

Hey guys,

Should I use the two remaining slots for creating different formations, or use the same formation but with different mentalities and instructions for opponents that are for example more open and opponents who are extremely defensive?

Either choice is fine :thup:

Is it beneficial adding multiple PIs to a single player so that I can have more options in attack or is that going to lead to more confusion on the pitch?

Example: Setting your central midfielder to shoot more and play risky passes.

Edited by Mr. Buttons

19 minutes ago, Mr. Buttons said:

Is it beneficial adding multiple PIs to a single player so that I can have more options in attack or is that going to lead to more confusion on the pitch?

"Confusion" is not a thing, as long as the tactic makes sense and suits your players. If you want to clearly define player's tasks, there's nothing stopping you from adding multiple PIs. However, do keep in mind that the more layers you add to your tactic, the harder it becomes to figure out the issues, which is why it's usually best to start as simple as possible and then add things on the go.

23 horas atrás, mikcheck disse:

Hi. If I have a  right footed player on the right wing, playing as a IW(s), would he still be able to pass to my RMD on the left? 

I'm asking this because I have a left footed one there and he makes some nice passings when he cuts insided. But I'm looking for his replacement, and the ones with the attributes I want, are right footed

Can someone help me with this, please?

if hes on the right, its easier to cross with the right foot, but for cutting inside and shooting it suits the opposite foot although they can still score. Also they cut inside and run into the middle of the pitch on the opposite foot, they wont be able to do that

2 horas atrás, Urotsukidoji disse:

if hes on the right, its easier to cross with the right foot, but for cutting inside and shooting it suits the opposite foot although they can still score. Also they cut inside and run into the middle of the pitch on the opposite foot, they wont be able to do that

Yeah, that's not really ideal, he wouldn't score half of the goals by playing on his preferred foot side. I'll have to keep both wingers playing on his opposite foot then, as my team  was built that way and one of my IW players it's not getting younger. Not many good left footed players that fit the role at this point in my save, or at least with potential to develop. But it is what it is.

I have a very high potential CB in my U18s squad that my U18 manager keeps playing at AMR because he is also compentent there. Is there a way to tell my U18 manager that I specifically want this player to play at CB?

1 hour ago, Grattade07 said:

I have a very high potential CB in my U18s squad that my U18 manager keeps playing at AMR because he is also compentent there. Is there a way to tell my U18 manager that I specifically want this player to play at CB?

I think you can move them before matches on the u18 tactics screen. I know you can do that for senior players made available. Their training might also influence it, but not sure on that. Alternatively, making someone else available that'd fill the AMR spot, could push them to CB. 

Are there any guidelines for choosing a club to as an affiliate to send players on loan, like their reputation must be lower or the league they play in must have a lower rep etc.? I've tried to get an affiliate in Spain because of the 2 year to passport rule on foreign players but my board cannot agree a deal with any of the club there.

For reference my reputation is 4.5 stars and I've tried with 3 star clubs. LaLiga, however, has a higher reputation than the French Ligue 1 so I think this might be it?

7 minutes ago, Mr. Buttons said:

How do you effectively deal against the best wingers and dribblers in FM20? Every time I play against the likes of Neymar, Salah, Messi and similar, they just walk through my defense like my team is a Seria C team level. I've tried leaving 5-6 men on defensive duties, holding 65% possession but they always score with a solo dribble against 3-4 of my players. 

I instruct my players to tackle hard, play narrow to close all channels and get stuck in, but yet it's still not effective. It feels like the current meta is to get the fastest wingers and just set a default tactic. 

I'd appreciate any advice.

Isn't that true of real life. These players destroy most teams.

However, rather than thinking about how to stop them, try thinking about how to stop the ball getting to them. If they do not have the ball, they cannot do anything with it. 

@Mr. Buttons Your question cannot be given a quick and simple answer, because it requires analysis of your tactic as a whole. Therefore, it cannot be answered in this thread, so I removed your post. Please start a separate thread, post a screenshot of your tactic and you'll get proper advice there.

Probably answered a million times, but what is a role exactly ?

Or rather, is there some kind of hardcoded hidden behavior behind every role. Or is a role merely a collection of personal instructions ?
Let's say there was a "blank" role for every position, would I be able to recreate existing roles only by tweaking personal instructions ?

Is there any specific training schedule in order to improve the conversion rate of my chances? I create tons of chances but my PA, IW and IF keep missing (Haaland, Dybala, Ronaldo). I play on a positive mentality, medium to low tempo and I don't use 'Shoot on sight'. If I use 'Work ball into box' my players get shut down easily.

Team cohesion and atmosphere are maxed.

Edited by Mr. Buttons

3 hours ago, Fatkidscantjump said:

Probably answered a million times, but what is a role exactly ?

Or rather, is there some kind of hardcoded hidden behavior behind every role

Yes, each role has its hard-coded behaviors. 

3 hours ago, Fatkidscantjump said:

Or is a role merely a collection of personal instructions ?
Let's say there was a "blank" role for every position, would I be able to recreate existing roles only by tweaking personal instructions ?

No. Because then roles as such would not need to exist at all (as was the case back in the era of sliders).

Is it right, that i can only win in this game, if i play an attacking and pressing formation? I´m testing it since weeks and it seems to be. If i use a defensive tactic, because i´m undedog, i loos, if i use an attacking and pressing tactic, i win. Why is it hardcoded??? it´s not the reality. Please, explain me that. If i´m underdog, i can´t play like man city against everton. I have to play like huddersfield again liverpool. Why in the hell is this hardcoded?

1 hour ago, vonreichsm said:

Is it right, that i can only win in this game, if i play an attacking and pressing formation? I´m testing it since weeks and it seems to be. If i use a defensive tactic, because i´m undedog, i loos, if i use an attacking and pressing tactic, i win. Why is it hardcoded??? it´s not the reality. Please, explain me that. If i´m underdog, i can´t play like man city against everton. I have to play like huddersfield again liverpool. Why in the hell is this hardcoded?

I was absolutely destroying teams with my attacking formation but after a while, the opponents started parking the bus and hit me on the counters so I switched to patient in order to minimize the risk. 

54 minutes ago, vonreichsm said:

Is it right, that i can only win in this game, if i play an attacking and pressing formation?

No. I've finished 6th with a relegation favourite, playing extremely defensive football (most clean sheets, 2nd fewest goals scored) and I've no doubt someone more tactically astute than me could take the whole thing even further. As long as you have players capable of playing such style, it's perfectly viable. Is it going to win you titles? Very unlikely, because that's not what parking the bus is for. You can however defend effectively in this game, despite all the myths flying around.

For more, you will have to make a new thread and show your tactic.

1 hour ago, Zemahh said:

No. I've finished 6th with a relegation favourite, playing extremely defensive football (most clean sheets, 2nd fewest goals scored) and I've no doubt someone more tactically astute than me could take the whole thing even further. As long as you have players capable of playing such style, it's perfectly viable. Is it going to win you titles? Very unlikely, because that's not what parking the bus is for. You can however defend effectively in this game, despite all the myths flying around.

For more, you will have to make a new thread and show your tactic.

I agree with this. When you phrase a question asking can you ONLY win with attacking and pressing, of course the asnwer will be no. It all depends on what kind of opposition you are facing and how they play against you. I took over Man City in my save and Liverpool destroyed me in both games in the league. I usually play on postive with high DL and LOE, so when was time to face Liverpool in Europa League semi-final I dropped LOE and DL to standard and switched to defensive mentality, added pass into space, hit early crosses along with some role and duty changes. They were playing on attacking or very attacking mentality most of the game and the lowest they would go is positive for a few minutes. So there was a plenty of space for me to exploit and I did, winning 2-1 away. They would have destroyed me if I kept my original tactic just like they did in the league.

35 minutes ago, mikcheck said:

Just to clarify, all work ball into box does is reduce long shots and crosses?

It serves to discourage players from crossing and shooting from distance too much, but will not be effective if the rest of your tactic does not give your players viable passing options. No instruction  alone has a magic effect.

Il y a 18 heures, Experienced Defender a dit :

Yes, each role has its hard-coded behaviors. 

No. Because then roles as such would not need to exist at all (as was the case back in the era of sliders).

Ok, thanks ! That was what I thought but I was unsure.

Just to be 100% clear and leave any doubt out of my mind, when talking about hardcoded behaviors, I was referring to hidden instructions or pattern assigned to a role, not the player instructions that I can see on my tactics screen that turns red / green when I assign a role (like Roam from Position / Hold Position when assigning a midfielder to roaming playmaker for example). Is that what you mean too ? Again, sorry to insist but i wanna be 110% sure.

1 hour ago, Fatkidscantjump said:

Just to be 100% clear and leave any doubt out of my mind, when talking about hardcoded behaviors, I was referring to hidden instructions or pattern assigned to a role, not the player instructions that I can see on my tactics screen that turns red / green when I assign a role (like Roam from Position / Hold Position when assigning a midfielder to roaming playmaker for example)

Exactly :thup: Each role has some hidden hard-coded features that make it different from others. 

To give you an example. Take a mezzala. The role is hard-coded to roam, stay wider and move into channels. You can add all these PIs to a standard CM, but he will still not play in the same way as the mezzala. 

Il y a 2 heures, Experienced Defender a dit :

Exactly :thup: Each role has some hidden hard-coded features that make it different from others. 

To give you an example. Take a mezzala. The role is hard-coded to roam, stay wider and move into channels. You can add all these PIs to a standard CM, but he will still not play in the same way as the mezzala. 

Gotcha, thanks a lot !