Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

• Replies 17.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How to you analyse your performance collectively?  i.e. which part of the pitch assists have came from / opposition assists etc.  I can only find how to analyse a single game

Also how do players analyse their teams performance statistically?  I don't have time to watch individual games (wouldn't want to either to be honest) but would like to be able to analyse better after a group of games 

Hi.  I have a question about Be More Expressive TI.  Overall my team possess players with good vision and decisions and I want them to express themselves to higher levels and play some good football. Is it a good option to use it?

25 minutes ago, Nozzer said:

How to you analyse your performance collectively?  i.e. which part of the pitch assists have came from / opposition assists etc.

On your Tactics screen, click on Analysis on the top right, then Goals. From there, you can select all kinds of things, including Goal Assists and their locations.

As for statistics, your league's stats are usually a good start, you can go through a whole bunch of different ones. Click on your league, then Stats and Team Detailed.

11 minutes ago, mikcheck said:

I have a question about Be More Expressive TI.  Overall my team possess players with good vision and decisions and I want them to express themselves to higher levels and play some good football. Is it a good option to use it?

@Rashidi just answered this one recently in his video and the way he puts it, Be More Expressive is an instruction you might want to use to mitigate your team's weakness when it comes to being creative (Flair, Vision?), rather than use it with teams that already excel in those areas. If I remember correctly, he specifically said that using it with players that can already find good options by themselves might make them overcomplicate things, whereas it can help poor players see options they otherwise wouldn't. By the sounds of it, Be More Expressive is some sort of a Flair/Vision multiplier, rather than a "use your Flair more often" instruction.

That said, there's not a lot of clarity regarding creative freedom, especially now that Team Fluidity was removed. I mean, just look at this Manual description:

Creative Freedom is closely tied to your overall Team Fluidity. Be More Expressive increases the overall fluidity score, while Be More Disciplined reduces it.

Outdated much? :rolleyes:

4 hours ago, Zemahh said:

On your Tactics screen, click on Analysis on the top right, then Goals. From there, you can select all kinds of things, including Goal Assists and their locations.

As for statistics, your league's stats are usually a good start, you can go through a whole bunch of different ones. Click on your league, then Stats and Team Detailed.

@Rashidi just answered this one recently in his video and the way he puts it, Be More Expressive is an instruction you might want to use to mitigate your team's weakness when it comes to being creative (Flair, Vision?), rather than use it with teams that already excel in those areas. If I remember correctly, he specifically said that using it with players that can already find good options by themselves might make them overcomplicate things, whereas it can help poor players see options they otherwise wouldn't. By the sounds of it, Be More Expressive is some sort of a Flair/Vision multiplier, rather than a "use your Flair more often" instruction.

That said, there's not a lot of clarity regarding creative freedom, especially now that Team Fluidity was removed. I mean, just look at this Manual description:

Outdated much? :rolleyes:

Ignore team shape in the game, all we need to remember is that generally as a team becomes more attacking it has more creative freedom. This in itself isn't a risky thing as you are already trying riskier things out on higher mentalities. My suggestion to use the Be More Expressive instruction is meant to simplify the way I play. When i want players to try things out of the box I will be more expressive. Here one needs to remember there are other team instructions and attributes that one needs to consider.

For example, lets say you are trying to break down a team and you are playing short, high tempo on positive mentality. The opposing team is playing a 442DM and doesn't want to come out, whats your options

I sometimes like to go direct, wider, lower tempo and be more expressive. Why?
Direct to make use of the fact that my players are going to try harder and longer passes, wider because i want to position my players wider. A lower tempo because i don't want them to rush round instead I use direct passing to move the ball around quickly when my players are in position and then be more expressive for them to exercise more creativity.

As you can see isolating CF from the equation is just one factor. Try doing this by ONLY adjusting CF and not changing the rest, and you will probably get frustrated.

2 hours ago, mrcjevans said:

How can I get the full backs to stay inside when we have posessions but not go too far forward

inverted wingacks? Or maybe use the inside overlap command

Overlap or underlap means they'll go forward.

Why can't you use them as FB on support duty?

Carrilero is usually a role that is recommended to be used in narrow formations, or in ones where there is no ML/MR right next to it. However, has anyone perhaps used Wide Playmaker and Carrilero together on the same side? Did carrilero cover the side when Wide Playmaker moved forward, or did the presence of Wide Playmaker inhibit the carrilero's ability to do it's job?

I have a few questions - 

1) Are the slider instructions reletive to the mentality?

So for example Defensive Line - Is the defensive line set at the same position on higher in an positive mentality as it is set on standard in an attacking mentality?

Does Positive/Higher = Attacking/Standard?

This goes for all the slider options - Width/Passing/Tempo/DL/LOE/Def Width/Pressing

2) Passing Direct vs  Take More Risks

What's the difference here? Both descriptions are virtually identical! Does the direct passing dictate how often the take more risks come PI comes into play? And which of the two is more likely to see a through ball played?

Edited by jozza800

5 hours ago, LolSmokeIt said:

Carrilero is usually a role that is recommended to be used in narrow formations, or in ones where there is no ML/MR right next to it

Back in FM18, the carrilero tended to behave a bit strangely when used in non-narrow systems. But as of FM19, you can normally use the role in any type of formation, including with wide midfielders (e.g. 442). 

2 hours ago, jozza800 said:

1) Are the slider instructions reletive to the mentality?

So for example Defensive Line - Is the defensive line set at the same position on higher in an positive mentality as it is set on standard in an attacking mentality?

The mentality does affect all instructions and so it logically applies to the D-line as well. Meaning that the higher DL under a lower mentality will be proportionally different than under a higher mentality. 

2 hours ago, jozza800 said:

2) Passing Direct vs  Take More Risks

What's the difference here? Both descriptions are virtually identical! Does the direct passing dictate how often the take more risks come PI comes into play? And which of the two is more likely to see a through ball played?

Through balls are primarily associated with the Take more risks. More direct passing is about moving the ball forward faster, but not necessarily via through balls (i.e. risky passes). 

When considering setting up your pre-match tactics in regards to Reputation and Home/Away - in friendlies do your AI opponents disregard that or they will set up as if it was a league match?

There was a post on here recently that went into a different method for youth development - from what I remember it was more focused on single attributes over general focus. I can't find the thread now, does anyone have a link?

Hi there, two stupid questions :D

1 - If you had to choose  between jumping reach or heading for a central defender, which one you'd go for?

2- I believe technique is extremely important for playmakers?

Edited by mikcheck

12 minutes ago, mikcheck said:

If you had to choose  between jumping reach or heading for a central defender, which one you'd go for?

If the difference between the 2 is too big, then I would prioritize jumping reach. 

14 minutes ago, mikcheck said:

I believe technique is extremely important for playmakers?

It's certainly important, but to different degrees for different types of PM. 

34 minutes ago, fmFutbolManager said:

Does the reputation of the Head of Youth Development impact upon Newgen quality at all?

That should clear it up for you, hopefully.

2 minutes ago, HUNT3R said:

That should clear it up for you, hopefully.

Thanks, but this doesn't help. I've read through those posts so many times when writing my own blogs on youth development. I've never seen anyone from SI confirm/deny that reputation impacts upon the quality of Newgen produced at a club, but that doesn't mean that it isn't a factor. Would like someone to categorically confirm if we need to consider the reputation of the Head of Youth Development alongside their other attributes.

Edited by fmFutbolManager

Just now, fmFutbolManager said:

Thanks, but this doesn't help. I've read through those posts so many times when writing my own blogs on youth development. I've never seen anyone from SI confirm/deny that reputation impacts upon the quality of Newgen produced at a club, but that doesn't mean that it isn't a factor. Would like someone to categorically confirm if we need to consider the reputation of the Head of Youth Development alongside their other attributes.

Nowhere has Seb ever listed Reputation as having any effect when posting about the HoYD. I have pretty much all of them bookmarked. Surely somewhere it would have been mentioned when listing every other factor.

In the 2nd quote, he says on average, the better coaches have better reputation, but even a good member of staff can have a low reputation due to working at a lower level. That's still saying the person is a good coach/HoYD/whatever, reputation or not.

Maybe @Seb Wassell can confirm it put the myth to bed..

1 minute ago, HUNT3R said:

Nowhere has Seb ever listed Reputation as having any effect when posting about the HoYD. I have pretty much all of them bookmarked. Surely somewhere it would have been mentioned when listing every other factor.

In the 2nd quote, he says on average, the better coaches have better reputation, but even a good member of staff can have a low reputation due to working at a lower level. That's still saying the person is a good coach/HoYD/whatever, reputation or not.

Maybe @Seb Wassell can confirm it put the myth to bed..

I would have thought it might have been mentioned by now if it was important. Obviously, the better the coach then generally the better their reputation, but reputation being important itself I don't believe is true.

Can someone clear this up.

Does the players preferred side have an affect on their performance? I've asked before but does someone have proof that it doesn't matter? For example Pogba prefers to play on the left, Bruno prefers the right. Does it matter if I use Pogba on the right and Bruno on the left? 

51 minutes ago, Gee_Simpson said:

Can someone clear this up.

Does the players preferred side have an affect on their performance? I've asked before but does someone have proof that it doesn't matter? For example Pogba prefers to play on the left, Bruno prefers the right. Does it matter if I use Pogba on the right and Bruno on the left? 

What a coincidence! I had the same issue with Pogba, although in FM19. I played him in MCL even though he would have better suited my tactic in MCR, because I thought it mattered. But recently I learnt - from @HUNT3R I think - that side preference is actually irrelevant.

Although you can never know when it comes to Pogba :D

7 minutes ago, Experienced Defender said:

What a coincidence! I had the same issue with Pogba, although in FM19. I played him in MCL even though he would have better suited my tactic in MCR, because I thought it mattered. But recently I learnt - from @HUNT3R I think - that side preference is actually irrelevant.

Although you can never know when it comes to Pogba :D

Lol :D

Yeah it was him who mentioned it before. Do you have any proof? @HUNT3R :)

1 hour ago, Gee_Simpson said:

Lol :D

Yeah it was him who mentioned it before. Do you have any proof? @HUNT3R :)

I can't prove it to you, but it was a discussion I had with Adam Mingay in 2016 who worked on the ME. It's there to help AI team selection be more realistic. The preferred side has no other effect.

55 minutes ago, HUNT3R said:

I can't prove it to you, but it was a discussion I had with Adam Mingay in 2016 who worked on the ME. It's there to help AI team selection be more realistic. The preferred side has no other effect.

Thanks mate. 

On 13/07/2020 at 11:54, fmFutbolManager said:

In addition to the above, which I really hope to get an answer to, can someone confirm if Coaching Style is essentially their coaching attributes? The following is from a post @Seb Wassell wrote: "The “type” of players selected refers to a player’s position and style, for instance a HoYD with a preferred 4-5-1 formation and a Technical Coaching Style may produce more technically styled midfielders than another Head of Youth Development."

I am assuming Coaching Style is different to Tactical Style, e.g., Park the Bus. I cannot see anywhere on a Head of Youth Development profile that states their Coaching Style, so assume this to be the highest coaching attribute from: Attacking, Defending, Fitness, Mental, Tactical, or Technical. Is my assumption here correct? If it is, how would you define the Coaching Style for the attached?

Screenshot 2020-07-14 at 22.54.41.png

Edited by fmFutbolManager

When playing 2 games in a week does the match preparation training have a effect on both matches? 

So, say I have game Wednesdays and Saturday and I have attacking movement training on Monday does it give the boost to both games or just the first? 

Likewise does doubling them up in week have any effect? 

6 minutes ago, jozza800 said:

When playing 2 games in a week does the match preparation training have a effect on both matches? 

So, say I have game Wednesdays and Saturday and I have attacking movement training on Monday does it give the boost to both games or just the first?

I think just the first, but not 100% sure. So once again we'll have to rely on @Seb Wassell for a definite answer. 

6 hours ago, jozza800 said:

Likewise does doubling them up in week have any effect? 

It only affects the upcoming match and doubling up has no effect. In your example, if you want to have attacking movement affect both matches in that week, you need to schedule one session before the Tue/Wed match and then one session before the Sat/Sun match.

Hello all. 

I am conceeding majority of my goals from crosses towards my full backs/wingbacks... The opposition seems to more often that not play 433/451 and their wingers are always there to smash it in...

Is there a quick answer/one obvious thing to look at? My defensive width is just left as standard. My set up has one FB (s) on the left and WB (a) on the right. 

7 minutes ago, LCFCEaves31 said:

Is there a quick answer/one obvious thing to look at? My defensive width is just left as standard. My set up has one FB (s) on the left and WB (a) on the right. 

The first obvious thing I'd look at would be the match-up between the fullback and that attacker. Things like Strength, Balance, Jumping Reach and Anticipation. It may be that the fullback is just outmatched in those aerial duels, assuming they're headers?

If it lands at their feet, you may have to look at your defensive width and probably also the D-Line position as it may be too high.

It's not really a quickfire question though, so if you need more, it's best to open a thread.

1 minute ago, HUNT3R said:

The first obvious thing I'd look at would be the match-up between the fullback and that attacker. Things like Strength, Balance, Jumping Reach and Anticipation. It may be that the fullback is just outmatched in those aerial duels, assuming they're headers?

If it lands at their feet, you may have to look at your defensive width and probably also the D-Line position as it may be too high.

It's not really a quickfire question though, so if you need more, it's best to open a thread.

Ok thanks

7 hours ago, HUNT3R said:

It only affects the upcoming match and doubling up has no effect. In your example, if you want to have attacking movement affect both matches in that week, you need to schedule one session before the Tue/Wed match and then one session before the Sat/Sun match.

I understand that that is what it says in the training screen too. But in the "Training Week in Review" which I receive in the inbox, you can see the match prep at the bottom which says "Special focus has been placed on the following areas ahead of the match against ... tomorrow:" The things mentioned here are not just those trained after the last match, but those in the week (or 2) before as well. Can you explain this please?

match prep.JPG

22 minutes ago, ScoreMore (Mico) said:

I understand that that is what it says in the training screen too. But in the "Training Week in Review" which I receive in the inbox, you can see the match prep at the bottom which says "Special focus has been placed on the following areas ahead of the match against ... tomorrow:" The things mentioned here are not just those trained after the last match, but those in the week (or 2) before as well. Can you explain this please?

I don't know if it's a UI issue. What is definite is that SI stated multiple times that match prep only affects the next match. It's listed in the schedule where it shows what's affected - upcoming match.

Is there a way to make it so that a specific position always takes my throw-ins? It's not usually an issue as the game seems to know that the fullback or wingback should always take it, but I'm running a 3-5-2 without any of those and it's damn annoying that players move from all over the field to take throw-ins that the winger on that side should just take. Setting specific players to take it doesn't work as I made my goal to have a very versatile team and specially my wingers are players who could at one time be playing on the wing and the next game at AM or other time playing CB. It seems that without a fullback or wingback on the pitch the game always has the player with the highest throw in stat run all over the field to take every single throw in.

Throw-in routine:

G7mul.png

My work around is at the start of every game manually set the LM and RM to take throw-ins, and do so every time I make a sub, but that's so damn time consuming

Edited by Experienced Defender
needless screenshot

1 hour ago, HUNT3R said:

I don't know if it's a UI issue. What is definite is that SI stated multiple times that match prep only affects the next match. It's listed in the schedule where it shows what's affected - upcoming match.

If that is SI´s official position it is confusing to say the least. Because (1) if it is an UI issue, why has not it been fixed in patches? (shouldn´t be too difficult) and (2) it´s not just here. Even during the match, you can see ass man feedback that working on set pieces is creating chances when I wouldn´t have worked on set pieces prior to that particular match. I´m not saying that you don´t know what you´re saying, just saying that is very confusing from SI as these are 2 contradictory types of feedback which should be fairly easy to fix.

2 hours ago, dekzeh said:

Is there a way to make it so that a specific position always takes my throw-ins?

Tactics>>Set Pieces>>Throw Ins  then create a throw in routine and specify which position you want to take the throw in.

17 minutes ago, Hovis Dexter said:

Tactics>>Set Pieces>>Throw Ins  then create a throw in routine and specify which position you want to take the throw in.

Unless there's something obvious I'm missing, I've done exactly that, I even posted a screenshot of the throw in routine set with the ML to take it in the post you quoted. The game just completely ignores it. Never had this issue with tactics using fullbacks or wingbacks, but it seems if you don't have those in your formation the game just ignores whatever you set and has the best throw-in taker on the pitch take it.

Hi. I wonder if using prevent gk distribution ruins the effect of having a normal/lower LOE? Or is it different things? Because I assume that it doesn't make sense to use prevent gk distribution and then using a normal/lower LOE.

I'm asking this because I want to have a bit of space behind their backline  to explore my RMD (hence the normal LOE, but also split block), but at the same time I don't want the gk to have much time to think.

Edited by mikcheck

29 minutes ago, dekzeh said:

Unless there's something obvious I'm missing, I've done exactly that, I even posted a screenshot of the throw in routine set with the ML to take it in the post you quoted. The game just completely ignores it. Never had this issue with tactics using fullbacks or wingbacks, but it seems if you don't have those in your formation the game just ignores whatever you set and has the best throw-in taker on the pitch take it.

Maybe post it as a bug?