Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

• Replies 17.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, h3nrique_SEP said:

Is the shadow striker a good role to play in 4-2-3-1 narrow? i don't like the behavior of the AML and AMR in the actual ME and i'd like to know if wingers like Douglas Costa and Martial for example, would be a good choice for this role

SS can be used in a 4231, but whether or not it's a good idea in your specific tactic really depends on your tactical setup as a whole, because no role works in isolation.

So if you want to discuss your question within the broader context of your tactic, you'll have to start your own separate thread/topic (not here).

10 minutes ago, lfc7 said:

If you keep getting shots blocked from just outside the area and inside the box does that mean my team is playing too narrow ?

It can mean various things, including what you mentioned (as one possible reason, not the only one). If you want to learn more, please start a separate thread with a screenshot (or at least detailed description) of your tactic there.

23 minutes ago, Experienced Defender said:

It can mean various things, including what you mentioned (as one possible reason, not the only one). If you want to learn more, please start a separate thread with a screenshot (or at least detailed description) of your tactic there.

Thanks it’s hasn’t been a major issue so far so thought I would ask I shall try playing wider next time, but if it becomes more of a major issue shall start a thread thank you 

38 minutes ago, Experienced Defender said:

SS can be used in a 4231, but whether or not it's a good idea in your specific tactic really depends on your tactical setup as a whole, because no role works in isolation.

So if you want to discuss your question within the broader context of your tactic, you'll have to start your own separate thread/topic (not here).

thanks for answer @Experienced Defender

you think that Douglas Costa and Martial would be a good choice for the role?

2 minutes ago, h3nrique_SEP said:

thanks for answer @Experienced Defender

you think that Douglas Costa and Martial would be a good choice for the role?

I would have to look their profiles first. But as I said - not here but in your own separate thread (in case you decide to create it).

When the team mentality is cautious, the the default passing directness is standard and when the team mentality is positive, the passing directress is still standard. So my question is, whether, the standard passing directness of cautious is same as standard passing directness of positive. 

3 hours ago, mouli said:

When the team mentality is cautious, the the default passing directness is standard and when the team mentality is positive, the passing directress is still standard. So my question is, whether, the standard passing directness of cautious is same as standard passing directness of positive. 

It's not the same. Because higher mentalities encourage a more forward-oriented and generally more adventurous passing style than lower ones, even if the are displayed as "same". Therefore, passing will generally be more direct on a higher mentality compared to lower ones under the same nominal setting. Because higher mentalities also mean willingness to take more risks overall. This also applies to tempo as well as all other instructions (both in and out of possession). Once you change your team mentality, you have automatically changed everything else proportionally.

2 hours ago, Sarriball14 said:

What are the key attribute requirements for playing a vertical tiki taka style through out the squad? A DNA core attributes I guess....

I never play tiki-taka, but given that it's a possession-oriented style, both technical and mental attributes should be on a good level. Of course, different lines of the team will have different attribute requirements in some areas (for example, CBs certainly don't need as much off the ball as midfielders and strikers). But generally, I would look for off the ball, passing, first touch, decisions, technique, composure, teamwork, anticipation, balance... 

1 hour ago, Experienced Defender said:

I never play tiki-taka, but given that it's a possession-oriented style, both technical and mental attributes should be on a good level. Of course, different lines of the team will have different attribute requirements in some areas (for example, CBs certainly don't need as much off the ball as midfielders and strikers). But generally, I would look for off the ball, passing, first touch, decisions, technique, composure, teamwork, anticipation, balance... 

Thanks! That’s a great base for me to start with 

56 minutes ago, Sarriball14 said:

Another question, if I’m using a split press with my 4 most advanced players in a 4-1-4-1 wide formation, do I need to use the counter press team instruction? 

You can use both split block and counter-press together, but you need to make sure your players are good enough to pull them off (either one or both).

But you should not use a split block if you use the Prevent short GKD and/or your vertical compactness is lower than optimal.

10 minutes ago, Experienced Defender said:

You can use both split block and counter-press together, but you need to make sure your players are good enough to pull them off (either one or both).

But you should not use a split block if you use the Prevent short GKD and/or your vertical compactness is lower than optimal.

At the moment I’m playing with a higher d line and a standard LOE, I’m newly promoted to the prem playing a vertical tiki taka style. I was using a standard LOE to draw teams out more in championship because most sides were defensive against me. 4 players I’ve got split pressing have got good stats for it but different story in the prem lol! I’m only in pre season atm so trying to work out what’s best 

When you click the button to ask your assistant manager set the coaching assignments to his preferences, I've noticed that he will move coaches around sometimes to their weaker coaching aspects to get them to grow in these areas and become more well balanced.  

What stats affect the assistant's ability to do this effectively?  Is it judging staff ability or JPA/JPP or both?   

If you have a technical director in your staff, does he also give input into this or does he take over this responsibility from the assistant?  

1 hour ago, rsihn said:

When you click the button to ask your assistant manager set the coaching assignments to his preferences, I've noticed that he will move coaches around sometimes to their weaker coaching aspects to get them to grow in these areas and become more well balanced.  

What stats affect the assistant's ability to do this effectively?  Is it judging staff ability or JPA/JPP or both?   

If you have a technical director in your staff, does he also give input into this or does he take over this responsibility from the assistant?  

1 hour ago, nie jem frytek said:

Something that I hope is training question... Can I raise my players Important Matches attribute by playing them in friendlies against rival teams?

If anyone is competent to give a proper answer to both these questions, it's Mr. @Seb Wassell ;)

2 hours ago, nie jem frytek said:

Something that I hope is training question... Can I raise my players Important Matches attribute by playing them in friendlies against rival teams?

Just from my experience, I did a 40 year save where I tracked all the hidden values in a spreadsheet during this time.  The vast majority of players in my teams (approx. 75%) during  this save never changed a single point in Important Matches so I wouldn't expect much.  About 20% of the remaining players gained 1 point and the last 5% gained 2 points.  I never saw anyone gain more than 2 points over their career.   I don't recall seeing anyone drop points in Important Matches either but supposedly it can happen.  

Consistency was much more likely to increase and the vast majority of players got a 1-2 point gain during their careers with a much smaller amount getting 3-4 point gains.  Never saw anyone gain more than that.  It was extremely rare to see someone drop in consistency but there were a couple of players who did decrease by 1 point at some time during their career though it was usually after they had previously made gains.  

• SI Staff
6 hours ago, nie jem frytek said:

Friendlies are by definition not an important match.

3 minutes ago, Analog said:

I also have a player who "dreads big matches" yet he always scores or assists in those games, so...

This is an important point.

Just having the trait doesn't automatically mean they won't perform. It just means they won't play to their full ability in that match, but you as manager can still get performances out of such a player, as you've found.

13 minutes ago, rossenori said:

how important is the passing attribute for an Inside Forward? cause apparently there are none with good passing aside from like 5 who are already at big clubs. 

Well, it can be important. But less than it is for a playmaker or mezzala or creative striker roles. 

2 hours ago, rossenori said:

how high do you aim for?

Depends on what you want from the player and what's your style of play. The league you compete in also matters. The stronger the league, the better attribute ratings are needed.

2 hours ago, rossenori said:

i usually go for 15 anticipation, off the ball, first touch, passing, finishing and work my way down but i haven't been able to find anyone since the original players retired. 

1.thumb.PNG.c22fff12f1a3e8c86a2a38aa7889b339.PNG

also DMs, i might be looking for the wrong attributes (15 anticipation, position, marking, tackling) cause only CBs pop up or +50 mill players

15 for all these attributes is too demanding (both for an IF and DM). Start with slightly lower attribute ratings and then gradually increase those that matter the most. 

As an example - here are the 3 players that get the most time as IFs for me - I trained Gourri as an IF, but all 3 were/are AFs with wingability according to how FM categorizes them

2425_BHA_IFs.thumb.png.8db37ca4ee4ffa283a4aea157d38f315.png

Admittedly we're a Top 6 team, so not the creme of the crop, and your requirements may vary :-)

5 hours ago, rossenori said:

i usually play in one of the top 5 leagues. i require my IFs to have good finishing so what passing attribute would be sufficient?

Probably no less than 11 (assuming he has good technique, first touch and decisions). 

5 hours ago, rossenori said:

which DM attributes are key for you?

For a normal holding DM, I would always look for tackling, positioning, anticipation, bravery, concentration, work rate, teamwork, decisions, strength, first touch (but not all of these has to be 15+)... Other attributes can vary depending on what you want from him besides screening the defense. 

But I feel this topic has now exceeded this quickfire thread, so I must ask you to start a new thread specifically about that :thup:

1 minute ago, h3nrique_SEP said:

the set piece delivery session can be "interpretated" as a session that trains every set piece (corners, fk's)?

i never understood that

You can see in the training session that it trains attributes for Free Kicks, Corners and Long Throws, so yes. 

If you have, for example, 4 fitness coaches in your senior squad who are able to train fitness for all of your squads, is there any benefit to having a dedicated fitness coach in your U23 and U18?  Does a particular squad use their fitness coach's sports science stat to keep the overall fatigue levels down or is that all up to the medical staff?

1 hour ago, rsihn said:

If you have, for example, 4 fitness coaches in your senior squad who are able to train fitness for all of your squads, is there any benefit to having a dedicated fitness coach in your U23 and U18?  Does a particular squad use their fitness coach's sports science stat to keep the overall fatigue levels down or is that all up to the medical staff?

One for @Seb Wassell

• SI Staff
5 hours ago, Experienced Defender said:

One for @Seb Wassell

In that scenario, no there is no difference. Obviously you'll want to ensure they aren't stretched too thinly though, which will be a risk if they are coaching across several different teams at once. Another advantage to specifically employing a UX Fitness Coach in this example is that they will demand significantly lesser wages than a full Fitness Coach.

A question regarding squad rotation and wide player attributes. I have two wide MF-s who are slower, and two who have pace. In the context of team balance, does it make sense to "pair up" a slower and faster wide player on opposite sides, so that I have a balanced rotational option for the wings?

Edited by Bunkerossian

On 08/08/2020 at 01:27, rossenori said:

i'm a top 4-6 side too. i used similar attributes in search and i got a total of 12 players, only one of them a natural AML. 

1.thumb.PNG.6f05d472e53d742d0b421845bda49329.PNG

i dropped anticipation and off the ball down to a 14, first touch and dribbling to 12 and now there are only 3 under 20 mill, all of them not at big clubs. regens have either been world class or trash for certain positions in my save. 

Wow, that's not a lot of options. IIRC I did pay 20mil for Pereria in Summer 2023, but I remember Gourri was only around 12 is Summer 2021 - he was a last 48hrs buy after I lost my at the time starting striker for 4 months and he is now 3 seasons of development into the save. Ya I typically search at the 13 value level just incase they have one that dips below.

How usefull are the tactic-presets? I am getting tired of using download tactics, but building something from scratch is way out of my league. Is using (for example) one of the gegenpressing preset tactic a good idea? And then using this for some time and maybe change some things on the fly?

54 minutes ago, Smiza said:

How usefull are the tactic-presets?

I never use them, but from what I know - in most cases they need tweaking in order to work and suit your players specifically. 

55 minutes ago, Smiza said:

Is using (for example) one of the gegenpressing preset tactic a good idea?

Again, a style of play I personally never use (irrespective of presets), but quite a few people claim that gegenpress is overpowered and allegedly brought them a lot of success. So you can try and see for yourself if that's true.

• SI Staff
2 hours ago, Smiza said:

How usefull are the tactic-presets? I am getting tired of using download tactics, but building something from scratch is way out of my league. Is using (for example) one of the gegenpressing preset tactic a good idea? And then using this for some time and maybe change some things on the fly?

lollujo has been winning the Streamer Showdown with them, whether that says more about the tactics or the opposition is up to you :lol:

Ultimately I would say start with them and then tweak one or two instructions as you see fit, learning what it is you want and how to achieve it.

In the central midfield slot, what seems to be preferable on the footedness of a playmaker. Do you want him to be on the right of a 2 man midfield if he's right footed? or left? I know so much is tactically dependent, but similar rules of thumb exist for inside forwards being played with opposite foot to side.

7 hours ago, Bunkerossian said:

A question regarding squad rotation and wide player attributes. I have two wide MF-s who are slower, and two who have pace. In the context of team balance, does it make sense to "pair up" a slower and faster wide player on opposite sides, so that I have a balanced rotational option for the wings?

Assuming no other real differences between the players (which is unlikely; however I think it's necessary to give a short answer to the question), there are two approaches to this, and I think it would dependent on context:

• If you're a top team and your schedule is overloaded between league games/cup games/continental games, it would make the most sense to me to come up with a tactic where you have a more static role on one wing and a more dynamic one on the other (Wide Playmaker and Winger, for example) so that you can easily rotate between these four players without changing your tactic.
  • If you're a smaller team and rotation for fitness is less of a concern, I would go with the two pacier players, again, assuming no other differences.
41 minutes ago, 04texag said:

In the central midfield slot, what seems to be preferable on the footedness of a playmaker. Do you want him to be on the right of a 2 man midfield if he's right footed? or left? I know so much is tactically dependent, but similar rules of thumb exist for inside forwards being played with opposite foot to side.

Depends on what balls you want him to be playing and what players you have around him. A quick rule of thumb is you want his strongest foot facing the way you want the ball to be played, so if you're looking to overload on the left wing and the playmaker is left-footed, put him on the left side of central midfield (and if you want to be playing through the middle and you have the same playmaker, I would put him on the right side of central midfield).

8 minutes ago, mouli said:

Does increasing the urgency of press also increase the intensity of challenges? For ex, will players tackle harder in extremely urgent press than in less urgent? 

No, it only affects pressing. The tackles have their own instructions - tackle harder/ease off tackles etc.

8 hours ago, scratchmonkey said:

Assuming no other real differences between the players (which is unlikely; however I think it's necessary to give a short answer to the question), there are two approaches to this, and I think it would dependent on context:

• If you're a top team and your schedule is overloaded between league games/cup games/continental games, it would make the most sense to me to come up with a tactic where you have a more static role on one wing and a more dynamic one on the other (Wide Playmaker and Winger, for example) so that you can easily rotate between these four players without changing your tactic.
  • If you're a smaller team and rotation for fitness is less of a concern, I would go with the two pacier players, again, assuming no other differences.

Depends on what balls you want him to be playing and what players you have around him. A quick rule of thumb is you want his strongest foot facing the way you want the ball to be played, so if you're looking to overload on the left wing and the playmaker is left-footed, put him on the left side of central midfield (and if you want to be playing through the middle and you have the same playmaker, I would put him on the right side of central midfield).

I play as a smaller team, but with poor Physio department and no money to fix that issue. Injuries are a real fear, since I'm pretty much stuck with the squad I have (no money for incoming transfers). The rotation idea is meant to reduce the load on individual players.

Edited by Bunkerossian

4 hours ago, sverige91 said:

What are the most important & must have instructions for "counter attacking"? 

I have been reading that, no "Work the ball in the box", no "Prevent Gk distribution" 

Lower line of engagement paired with standard defensive line. Everything else would depend on a number of factors (including the team mentality in the first place, as well as your formation, roles, duties). Therefore. if you want any further discussion, please start a separate thread (topic). 

Will a DM level midfielder (specifically DLP or Regista) with 'come deep to get the ball' attribute be inclined to drop as far as the 18yd box or inside it to take possession or is there a invisible-fence like threshold they'd not pass?

I've not had that trait in anyone I could play in a position that deep before.

*Of course all the usual all things being equal caveats :-)

Edited by CaptCanuck

Like many, in the pre-season, I schedule a lot of physical/endurance/resistance/quickness training because I want my players to avoid both fatigue and getting jaded during the season.  Question:  is there a hidden factor which this pre-season training increases?  Is there a way to measure when we're close to the limit of the benefits of all the pre-season physical training? 

I ask because at some point in the pre-season, I cut down on physical training sessions and switch more to tactical familiarity and attribute training sessions, but I'm just guessing about when to do it.

Second question:  in the pre-season, does a Match Tactics session increase Tactical Familiarity faster than an Overall or Outfield session? I know that the latter two sessions train many more attributes, but sometimes I'm desperate to increase Tactical Familiarity ASAP, especially when I'm installing a completely new tactic (e.g. when taking over a new team) or have brought in a lot of new players.

10 hours ago, glengarry224 said:

Like many, in the pre-season, I schedule a lot of physical/endurance/resistance/quickness training because I want my players to avoid both fatigue and getting jaded during the season.  Question:  is there a hidden factor which this pre-season training increases?  Is there a way to measure when we're close to the limit of the benefits of all the pre-season physical training? 

I ask because at some point in the pre-season, I cut down on physical training sessions and switch more to tactical familiarity and attribute training sessions, but I'm just guessing about when to do it.

Second question:  in the pre-season, does a Match Tactics session increase Tactical Familiarity faster than an Overall or Outfield session? I know that the latter two sessions train many more attributes, but sometimes I'm desperate to increase Tactical Familiarity ASAP, especially when I'm installing a completely new tactic (e.g. when taking over a new team) or have brought in a lot of new players.

@Seb Wassell ;)

• SI Staff
2 hours ago, Experienced Defender said:

12 hours ago, glengarry224 said:

There is currently no way to see this. Fatigue is a hidden variable on each player which is made visible when it hits a certain point (the point you need to consider taking action), "Jaded".

12 hours ago, glengarry224 said:

The goals of the Match Tactics session are "fully focused on preparing the team tactically for the upcoming match", so you'd hope it did more for Tactical Familiarity than a generic Overall or Outfield session! :lol:

image.thumb.png.0fc6f185265f9db3088bc9621e3f4110.png

The amount of attention any single item receives (be that an Attribute or individual Familiarity) is determined, all else being equal (coaches, players, workloads etc.), by how many total items are included in the session. This allows some sessions to be broad, covering a large number of things, and others to be specific, tightly focusing on specific areas.