Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

Just now, pedrosantos said:

I'm bit confused with this piece of text. I think its something that should be looked and thats why I reported as a bug back in FM16, but since I might be wrong I would appreciate some help.

The TI Dribble Less states instructs players to adopt a first-pass mentality rather than retain possession and dribble their way into attacking situations. Now, if I want my players to move the ball around, passing instead of dribbling, its precisely to retain possession and not as its written rather than retain possession.

So, shouldn't it be instructs players to adopt a first-pass mentality and retain possession rather than dribble their way into attacking situations. ????

If a player dribbles with the ball, he IS retaining possession. In this instance, it means keeping the ball to himself, which is what happens if a player dribbles.

• Replies 17.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Fritz13 said:

My extremely stupid question as I've forgotten the answer is ...

I know kne of these is true but not sure which one!!!

do first team team coaches also train the youth team ?

or is it that the youth team coaches also train the first team?

always gets this wrong :(

First team coaches coach the first team.

Youth coaches coach the youth team.

On 10/21/2016 at 11:06, mikcheck said:

Hello peole. I have two questions please:

1- Does an attacking libero close down high as stopper central defender? Can it be a bad ideia to use an attacking libero and 2 stoppers in a 3 man defense? 

2- When a player is not playing much in his club and has potencial left to fill but already with 26 or 27 years, can he still reach  his full potential?

Thank you

2. Depends how far off he is. At 27, a player is usually in his prime, so he'd need to be very close to PA to be able to reach it.

On 10/18/2016 at 15:09, akash777 said:

Hi guys I just have a few question regarding the some of the instructions I have seen used on tactics published online by various authors.

Specifically, how certain instructions behaved when used in both team and player instructions.  

With tighter marking:

1)Intuitively, I would think that using this as a player instruction wouldn't make a difference on the engine if it is already selected as a team instruction.
2)  Instructions are sort of compounded , akin to how it works with say closing down, passing length etc.
So which one of the two happens? 

With harder tackling:
I sort of have the same question when using tackle harder as a PI in combination with Stay on Feet as a TI.  

Would it make the players less likely to dive into tackles but be more likely to make challenges? I mean more block tackles than sliding tackles?

With passing:
Also, if the team passing is set to short and play out of defence is selected, why do a lot of people publishing tactics still select shorter passing as a PI? I mean even without clicking on it, the passing meter usually has shorter selected, rather than mixed. 

Sorry if these have been already answered but the double up of instructions such as these are baffling me and I would love to know what actually happens.

1. Tight marking is an on/off instruction.

2. There are 3 settings for tackling. Easy, "normal" and hard tackling. It's about level of confidence. Easy will mean player will only attempt a tackle if they're quite sure to win it. Hard means taking more risks in winning the ball back.

3. Because it compounds. What you'll be left with is extremely short passing with PooD, the TI and the PI reducing length.

13 minutes ago, HUNT3R said:

If a player dribbles with the ball, he IS retaining possession. In this instance, it means keeping the ball to himself, which is what happens if a player dribbles.

So, can it be understood as a retain possession different from the concept of the TI Retain Possession ?

So, can it be understood as a retain possession different from the concept of the TI Retain Possession ?

Dribble less  =  run less with the ball  =  don't take on defenders  = don't then get tackled by defenders and lose possession.

That's all it is.

4 minutes ago, HUNT3R said:

Dribble less  =  run less with the ball  =  don't take on defenders  = don't then get tackled by defenders and lose possession.

That's all it is.

Yes, that is precisely why that bit of text is confusing "rather than retain possession" when dribble less is exactly about not losing possesion (by consequence keeping it) dribbling.

Yes, that is precisely why that bit of text is confusing "rather than retain possession" when dribble less is exactly about not losing possesion (by consequence keeping it) dribbling.

But it isn't confusing?

Let's try again. "Players! Dribble less for me. Instead of keeping the ball to yourself (which is what retain possession here means) by running with it, don't run with the ball."

2 minutes ago, HUNT3R said:

But it isn't confusing?

Let's try again. "Players! Dribble less for me. Instead of keeping the ball to yourself (which is what retain possession here means) by running with it, don't run with the ball."

Sorry Hunt3R, my brain can be taking a nice afternoon nap, but that keeping the ball to yourself is a different thing than the retain possession that is known in football and the Team Instruction. This is correct, right ?

Sorry Hunt3R, my brain can be taking a nice afternoon nap, but that keeping the ball to yourself is a different thing than the retain possession that is known in football and the Team Instruction. This is correct, right ?

Stop thinking about the TI  Retain Possession.

The TI Dribble Less simply means dribble less with the ball. I'm not sure why you're making a link when this hasn't been mentioned once? I've also twice now explained what retain possession in this case means. In fact, forget it even says retain possession. Players will run with the ball less. That's all there is to it. How it affects your tactic is up to you and how you set up. Them running less will mean they'll have to do other things more - shooting, passing, crossing etc.  -   Anything but dribble.

Just now, HUNT3R said:

Stop thinking about the TI  Retain Possession.

The TI Dribble Less simply means dribble less with the ball. I'm not sure why you're making a link when this hasn't been mentioned once? I've also twice now explained what retain possession in this case means.

I'm making the link because of the choice of words, just that. I understood already the idea behind the instruction and behind the choice of words, but FM is played in different sort of languages and some choices can cause misinterpretations. Are the translations teams free enough to adapt the original texts to their languages or do they have to stick to a literal translation ?

I'm making the link because of the choice of words, just that. I understood already the idea behind the instruction and behind the choice of words, but FM is played in different sort of languages and some choices can cause misinterpretations. Are the translations teams free enough to adapt the original texts to their languages or do they have to stick to a literal translation ?

If it's an issue in your language, report it. It's not an English issue. My first language isn't English and I can understand it well enough. It's simply "don't keep the ball to yourself".

Retain means "to keep possession of". So you're telling players NOT to keep (dribble with) it, but rather (in most cases) pass the ball, assuming you've set up in a way where you have passing options.

It has nothing to do with the TEAM losing or retaining the ball. It's at a PLAYER level.

2 minutes ago, HUNT3R said:

If it's an issue in your language, report it. It's not an English issue. My first language isn't English and I can understand it well enough. It's simply "don't keep the ball to yourself".

Retain means "to keep possession of". So you're telling players NOT to keep (dribble with) it, but rather (in most cases) pass the ball, assuming you've set up in a way where you have passing options.

It has nothing to do with the TEAM losing or retaining the ball. It's at a PLAYER level.

Okay, thanks for shedding  a light on this and sorry  for the nap from the guy inside my skull 

1 hour ago, zZzZzZzZzZzZzZz said:

So what attributes should I be looking for in a sports scientist and a data analyst? And what effect do they have on my team?

The above is the latest advice we have from SI about Sports Scientist.

For Data Analyst there are no required attributes (at present - we're still in Beta so subject to change) and they provide pre and post match reports into your Inbox.

Is ticking a team instruction +1/-1 basically moving it to the default of the next or previous mentality? For example if using a counter mentality, would lowering tempo one tick be the exact same as the default defensive mentality? Is this too much of a simplification?

43 minutes ago, kevinstates said:

Is ticking a team instruction +1/-1 basically moving it to the default of the next or previous mentality? For example if using a counter mentality, would lowering tempo one tick be the exact same as the default defensive mentality? Is this too much of a simplification?

In your example, it'll be a lower tempo, but still not as low as Defend's tempo. It shouldn't really matter though. If you see on the pitch that your tempo is too high/low  -  then that's why you should adjust it, not because it 'matches' tempo on another Mentality. Not knocking the question; just trying to shift the thinking. :)

B team training seems to have changed in that you can allocate a role now and/or new attribute to be trained where previously you couldn't.

once allocated there are 2 options that seem to indicate either permanently Taking control of this players training

... or taking control temporarily just to allocate the role/new attribute to be trained.

is that correct?

can I elect to take control of the entire B team via one of the responsibility options?

Hello.

I know it's not a very good idea to use 2 playmakers together in the centre of the pitch, but what about using on in the wing and other in the centre separated by one player?

Something like Wide Playmaker/CM(D)/Roaming Playmaker

Tks

Edited by mikcheck

25 minutes ago, sporadicsmiles said:

Why am I only able to request a new player trait for certain players? My current example is that I want Memphis Depay to stop shooting from range, but everything is greyed out. The only thing I can think of is that this is related to the player currently being tutored. Is that correct?

I'm wondering the same..

52 minutes ago, sporadicsmiles said:

Why am I only able to request a new player trait for certain players? My current example is that I want Memphis Depay to stop shooting from range, but everything is greyed out. The only thing I can think of is that this is related to the player currently being tutored. Is that correct?

26 minutes ago, torehj said:

I'm wondering the same..

You can't tutor and PPM train at the same time.

I used 1 CM(sup) and 1 DLP(defend) in my 4-4-1-1. If you like it to be safer, you can instruct the CM to hold his position like how I did to create a double pivot. 2 DLPs should be ok as they hold their position as well but play is likely to be focus at the centre of the pitch.

12 hours ago, sgevolker said:

Hi,

my shadow striker with an attack duty always close down the opponent midfield player. 

I want him to stay on the middle line and not com deeper. How can I achieve this?

It says in the role description that he'll aggressively close down opponents. I'd try to switch him to an AM(a) and see watch him closely.

9 hours ago, yipster1986 said:

It says in the role description that he'll aggressively close down opponents. I'd try to switch him to an AM(a) and see watch him closely.

Thanks, you're right. With AM it works much better. 

How do I know who participates in the counter attack phase? 

Defenders switch to support? 

Support switches to Attack? 

Attack maximizes? 

I already read Cleon thread but I still dont know who participates in the Counter.

21 hours ago, herne79 said:

You can't tutor and PPM train at the same time.

Figured as much, just making sure! Any idea why that is the case, incidentally? What is the reasoning there? I would guess something to do with the fact tutoring can impart PPMS.

Anyway, I will just kill the tutoring, retrain, and retutor. Cheers!

Hello. In my 3-4-1-2 tactic i use a more defensive winger (i dont use that role but i use a player with more defensive attributes and can also pass the ball, as well good work rate and teamwork )  on the right side because he has a BBM next to him and by having more defensive attributes he can compensate.  I came up with this  player that seems quite good for that but he's not that fast and i'm not sure. What do you think?

gareth.jpg

gareth1.jpg

Edited by mikcheck

I have a training question, if I want to focus on improving a specific attribute is it best to leave (lets say  a centre back)on D(C)-playing position as opposed to a role(ie BPD) within that training program?

If a player is left on D(C)-playing position then no attributes are highlighted on his training page as opposed to BPD where multiple attributes are highlighted.So if I leave training on D(C)-playing position and choose an additional attribute to train on will that attribute get more focus than if he was also traing as a BPD?

22 hours ago, axehan1 said:

I have a training question, if I want to focus on improving a specific attribute is it best to leave (lets say  a centre back)on D(C)-playing position as opposed to a role(ie BPD) within that training program?

If a player is left on D(C)-playing position then no attributes are highlighted on his training page as opposed to BPD where multiple attributes are highlighted.So if I leave training on D(C)-playing position and choose an additional attribute to train on will that attribute get more focus than if he was also traing as a BPD?

Yes

Hello everyone.

Could someone explain, why it is recommend to increase a number of attacking duties after increasing strategy? I mean, is increasing of individual mentality, because of more attacking strategy, not enough?

Edited by woland

20 minutes ago, woland said:

Hello everyone.

Could someone explain, why it is recommend to increase a number of attacking duties after increasing strategy? I mean, is increasing of individual mentality, because of more attacking strategy, not enough?

It isn't "recommended".  You can do it if you like if it keeps a balance in your tactic, it's up to you.

AI managers tend to increase the number of attack duty players as they increase mentality, but there is no reason why human managers need to follow suit.

i want to emulate Simeone's 4-4-2 at Madrid.  The main things to copy (if i can) in my tactic, are its aggresivness/tenacity and the, well, actual defensive efficiency.

Now, i know that the first part is probably more down to individual atts (i imagine, work rate, marking, tackling, concetration, composition, aggression, bravery etc)

but i am wondering how could i boost these atts, tactic wise.

So i am thinking, a narrow, fluid 4-4-2 with an attacking mentality, as a basic set up. I dont think that Atletico sits back and passively endures attack after attack.

I think that their approach is primarely defensive surely, but they dont park the bus, they try to make the bus come at you, sort to speak. That's why i m thinking attacking, instead of counter/defensive. 

Tempto i think, should be higher and the D-line should be set to deeper.

Closing down to maximum

What do u guys think, do i make any sense?

2 hours ago, Hunter T said:

i want to emulate Simeone's 4-4-2 at Madrid.  The main things to copy (if i can) in my tactic, are its aggresivness/tenacity and the, well, actual defensive efficiency.

Now, i know that the first part is probably more down to individual atts (i imagine, work rate, marking, tackling, concetration, composition, aggression, bravery etc)

but i am wondering how could i boost these atts, tactic wise.

So i am thinking, a narrow, fluid 4-4-2 with an attacking mentality, as a basic set up. I dont think that Atletico sits back and passively endures attack after attack.

I think that their approach is primarely defensive surely, but they dont park the bus, they try to make the bus come at you, sort to speak. That's why i m thinking attacking, instead of counter/defensive. 

Tempto i think, should be higher and the D-line should be set to deeper.

Closing down to maximum

What do u guys think, do i make any sense?

Using an attacking mentality would mean you are choosing to play football in a high risk manner.  Do you think Atletico play high risk football?

Have a quick search through the forum, there are a couple of fairly recent threads on Atletico that might give you some ideas.

It is pretty impossible to emulate how Atlético defend. In FM you can choose standard 4-4-2 as your defensive formation but you can not influence individual positioning of players in different phases of the game (in other words in FM you choose 4-4-2 and your players defend as standard 4-4-2 everywhere on the pitch, problem is that it is not how Atlético really defend IRL). To do that we would need something like wobble (old CM/FMers know what I am talking about).