Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

13 hours ago, EHB87 said:

Based on what I see in  this subforum's FAQ and a lot of threads here, when players complained about training it is most likely due to their personality.

However, I have some questions that I am not so sure on.

1. If these players complained that the work they are assigned are not beneficial, should I change their training routine? Or could I continue it?

2. When a player of better personality than the aforementioned players also complained about the same thing, should I change his routine too?

3. I tutored a young player with a senior player with a Resolute mentality, 15 Determination and Play Mind Games, Reserved listed as his Media Handling style. If, halfway through the tutoring session, say, the tutee (the player you tutored with the senior player) gained Resolute mentality, 15 Determination and Reserved media handling style, would it be okay to cancel the tutoring session altogether? Or would it be wise to see off the remaining of the tutoring session? If I stop it now, would it have a side effect on the tutee?

Sorry if I asked too much, I am simply clueless when it comes to training and tutoring. Thank you

5 hours ago, herne79 said:

1. It's up to you, you're in charge not your players.  Have a look at their training page, see for yourself if training is beneficial. If it is, ignore them.

2. See 1.

3. So long as the tutee has taken on all the personality traits (and/or PPM) that you are after, then yes you could.  The only benefit is to free up your tutor to allow him to start tutoring someone else sooner.

Just to add to point 3 that just because a player has become "resolute" means they have just met the minimum to be described as that personality.  Its possible the tutor could continue to influence the players personality further.

• Replies 17.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Also to add that if you cancel tutoring the tutor still can't tutor anyone else for what would have been the entire duration. So even if you cancel after a day, the tutor can't tutor for 7 month (the initial 6 month tutor and the 30 day cool off period). 

I can't seem to succesful tutor players in fm 15. I think I've got all the conditions right: tutor is older, better reputation, higher wage, better personality, same position. 

Still, every try at tutoring my players fails because the players' are very different and can't learn from eachother. Why?

Edited by VV Bal op de Lat

2 hours ago, pedrosantos said:

How do opposite instructions coexist with each other ? For example, using the Stick to Positions TI and then have some player roles that by default use Roam from Position. What's the practical consequence of such situations ?

They stack, so it would put that player into a 'neutral' setting

2 hours ago, Dr. Hook said:

They stack, so it would put that player into a 'neutral' setting

Humm, okay Dr :thup: can you elaborate a little bit more about that "neutral" ? "Neutral" as one nullifies the other ? And if so, then will it be something else to make the player roam or stick, like mentality, player attributes ?

18 hours ago, pedrosantos said:

Humm, okay Dr :thup: can you elaborate a little bit more about that "neutral" ? "Neutral" as one nullifies the other ? And if so, then will it be something else to make the player roam or stick, like mentality, player attributes ?

Neutral meaning it'd behave as if you didn't have any of those instructions added.

Which can still be useful if you'd like the team to stick to positions, but still allow more freedom with other players.  It's all about weighting things so even "stick to positions" doesn't mean "I will always be precisely in the position I am supposed to be in" just that the player is much less likely to move out of their position than without the instruction.

57 minutes ago, alanschu14 said:

Neutral meaning it'd behave as if you didn't have any of those instructions added.

Which can still be useful if you'd like the team to stick to positions, but still allow more freedom with other players.  It's all about weighting things so even "stick to positions" doesn't mean "I will always be precisely in the position I am supposed to be in" just that the player is much less likely to move out of their position than without the instruction.

yeah, he wouldn't be sitting their thinking "I'm just going to stay here, without moving, I'm going to be a statue" :D

The Roam from Position wouldn't be added by me, because its already in-coded in the player's role. I was wondering if these might some how overlap the others (TI and or PI). Does this work this way - becoming neutral - with all opposite instructions ?

40 minutes ago, pedrosantos said:

yeah, he wouldn't be sitting their thinking "I'm just going to stay here, without moving, I'm going to be a statue" :D

The Roam from Position wouldn't be added by me, because its already in-coded in the player's role. I was wondering if these might some how overlap the others (TI and or PI). Does this work this way - becoming neutral - with all opposite instructions ?

It does indeed work like that- to use another example, if you set your team to stay on feet, but have a BWM with hard tackling, then that BWM will tackle more like standard, so more than the rest of the team but less than he normally would. The only thing that overrides the PI/TI and the stacking is the PPMs.

13 minutes ago, Dr. Hook said:

It does indeed work like that- to use another example, if you set your team to stay on feet, but have a BWM with hard tackling, then that BWM will tackle more like standard, so more than the rest of the team but less than he normally would. The only thing that overrides the PI/TI and the stacking is the PPMs.

Takes once again.

Glad you mentioned the BWM, is it normal, because I've used different team mentalities and different closing down settings - as an example, Counter and TI Close Less - and the role has a PI to close down Sometimes without any other option available. Is this correct or something waiting for a fix ?

So, in FM15 if i  tell my team to be more disciplined, why does it conflict with roaming from positions? One is related to creative freedom and the other one with only roaming, right? Another question is if i have more disciplined selected will PI roaming from position still work? tks

A

On 10/9/2016 at 07:56, mikcheck said:

So, in FM15 if i  tell my team to be more disciplined, why does it conflict with roaming from positions? One is related to creative freedom and the other one with only roaming, right? Another question is if i have more disciplined selected will PI roaming from position still work? tks

Two different instructions there- one is positional, the other is on the ball. I

On 10/9/2016 at 07:33, pedrosantos said:

Takes once again.

Glad you mentioned the BWM, is it normal, because I've used different team mentalities and different closing down settings - as an example, Counter and TI Close Less - and the role has a PI to close down Sometimes without any other option available. Is this correct or something waiting for a fix ?

It is designed to close down more- it is the job description more or less :)

1 hour ago, mikcheck said:

Thank you for your reply.

Then it doesnt make much sense that when we select More Disciplined it disables Roam From Positions. I think i can understand that but its 2 completely different things.

What do you think creative freedom does?  That may be where your confusion lies.

7 minutes ago, mikcheck said:

I've always thought that creative freedom was only on the ball and player movement was not affected by it, only roaming.

Yeh that's why I asked.  Taken from the FAQs:

"Creative Freedom affects how willing and by how much a player will deviate from their assigned task. With more Creative Freedom, a player can rely more on his own mental attributes (eg. decision making) to decide when to attempt something "outside of the box" which would more usually be dictated by your own tactical settings. You may see a player attempt more risky passes; dribble more; off the ball runs. This can lead to a loss of structure in your team but of course can lead to greater rewards."

3 hours ago, Dr. Hook said:

It is designed to close down more- it is the job description more or less :)

Sure, but its a bit confusing. The role is designed to close down a lot, but then if close down less is chosen, the role still has the PI close down sometimes activated, its odd to say the least.

19 hours ago, pedrosantos said:

Sure, but its a bit confusing. The role is designed to close down a lot, but then if close down less is chosen, the role still has the PI close down sometimes activated, its odd to say the least.

It is at first blush, but if you consider a larger scheme where your team is basically standing off as a tactical option, your BWM will still play the role as designed within your system. It would be nice if it was more flexible in some instances, though.

[Football manager 15 tutoring problem]

In my 5 season-in career at PSV I was not able to successfully tutor any of my players, despite that I've payed attention to (as far as I know) all the important conditions for succesfull tutoring:

- the tutor is older than the tutee
- Tutor has got a better reputation
- Tutor has got a higher wage
- Tutor has got a better personality (I mostly tried (model) professional tutors, but also spirited).
- Both tutor and tutee are familiar with the same playing position(s).

At every attempt I've tried until now, the tutoring stopped at an (too) early point, saying that the tutee can't learn from the tutor because of the differences in personalities. Both the tutor and tutee and up being upset/disappointed about the frustrating period.

Am I overlooking anything in this? What can I do to succesfull tutor my players?

Edited by VV Bal op de Lat

1 minute ago, VV Bal op de Lat said:

At every attempt I've tried until now, the tutoring stopped at an (too) early point, saying that the tutee can't learn from the tutor because of the differences in personalities. Both the tutor and tutee and up being upset/disappointed about the frustrating period.

Am I overlooking anything in this? What can I do to succesfull tutor my players?

Sounds like you are getting unlucky for the most part. What does help is players with similar personalities- if you are really mismatching them it seems to be more likely to end as you are experiencing- but there is always a large element of randomness in it.

24 minutes ago, Dr. Hook said:

It is at first blush, but if you consider a larger scheme where your team is basically standing off as a tactical option, your BWM will still play the role as designed within your system. It would be nice if it was more flexible in some instances, though.

Also counting with those graphical glitches to be fixed in a few days :) Thanks Dr :thup:

Just now, Dr. Hook said:

Sounds like you are getting unlucky for the most part. What does help is players with similar personalities- if you are really mismatching them it seems to be more likely to end as you are experiencing- but there is always a large element of randomness in it.

tnx for the quick reply! I tend to try to change a player's personality from -for example- balanced to professional. Is that too big of a difference between the two personalities? Or is it still bad luck that the tutoring doesn't work?

2 hours ago, VV Bal op de Lat said:

tnx for the quick reply! I tend to try to change a player's personality from -for example- balanced to professional. Is that too big of a difference between the two personalities? Or is it still bad luck that the tutoring doesn't work?

Yeah, the point of tutoring is to evolve a player from a neutral or negative personality to a positive one, and I do exactly what you do. Sometimes it just doesn't work, and I have had it go wrong even when the players appeared to be a good fit.  Balanced to professional is not a massive leap, so in that case I would lean towards just a bit of random bad luck.

Can Injury Proneness change? I signed a player who had been injured twice in like 6 years, and in the 2 1/2 months he's been at my club he's picked up 3 different injuries.

My physio department is the best in the league and fitness coaching is above average. Did the whole fitness training during pre season so don't understand why he's suddenly got glass legs.

Hello,

I see many formations with no DMC that uses 3 CD, like 3412 for example, and i also notice that some uses the outside CD's as stoppers and cover for the one in the middle, but doesn't make more sense to use the central one as a stopper instead? That way, i think he will act more like a DMC in terms of closing down.

I've tried to use both outside as stoppers and the central with cover but in the positions map, the cover defender is always slightly ahead of the others and i suppose it's because even with cover duty he has no other option than move out from his position to close down. 

The quickest way to increase familiarity is to go to the General Training screen, set the scheduling slider to maximum "More Match Training" and set Match Preparation to Match Tactics.

The rate of increase will be affected by things such as new signings, constantly changing your tactic, having more than one tactic set, number of matches played and so on.

26 minutes ago, Harpoon76 said:

How long should it take to get a tactic to 100% familiarity?

18 hours ago, Harpoon76 said:

I've had that slider set to max since the start of pre-season.  I did have two tactics being trained - I've just binned the 2nd so 100% time is spent on this one.

Season isn't going great but obviously need the tactic at 100% to know how good it is...

You don't need the tactic at 100% to judge whether the movement and passing options (use of space, in other words) and in defence, denying of space, is as it should be. IMO, that's the most important concept.

I am playing a 4-2-3-1 on defensive mentality and structured shape. I use retain possession to prevent wasteful passes and I am also using higher tempo to prevent dwelling on the ball too much. My front four are: CFa, Ws, AMs, IFs. What I have noticed is that we get a lot of shots blocked, sometimes as high as 70% of my shots fired in a match are blocked. We create a fair amount of chances, but it is hard to score if the ball never reaches the net. I am suspecting it has to do with my instructions, but as I am happy with our play overall I would like to avoid changing too much. Is there a way of having less shots blocked or is it one of those trade off situations where you cant have it all?

1 hour ago, boblardo said:

My CD keep getting low rankings.  I am playing a 4-1-4-1, why would they get such low ratings (mistakes, missed interceptions, failed passes!?)

It could be any number of reasons.  Perhaps you lost heavily after some defensive mistakes.  Perhaps you won well so your defence didn't have much to do.  Perhaps he just had an off day.  Perhaps lots of other reasons.

Regardless of ratings, are you being successful overall?  If you are then c'est la vie.  If not, perhaps start a new thread if you can't figure it out when watching matches.

1 hour ago, burtanza said:

I am playing a 4-2-3-1 on defensive mentality and structured shape. I use retain possession to prevent wasteful passes and I am also using higher tempo to prevent dwelling on the ball too much. My front four are: CFa, Ws, AMs, IFs. What I have noticed is that we get a lot of shots blocked, sometimes as high as 70% of my shots fired in a match are blocked. We create a fair amount of chances, but it is hard to score if the ball never reaches the net. I am suspecting it has to do with my instructions, but as I am happy with our play overall I would like to avoid changing too much. Is there a way of having less shots blocked or is it one of those trade off situations where you cant have it all?

Post your entire set up, so your tactic, team instructions, shape etc

But from what you've put there I'd say start watching "full game" highlights made and watch out for things like your team being too narrow, too slow or too forceful in possession, lack of movement and a lack of options. It sounds a lot but when you look at exactly why the shots are being blocked (rewind the play a few times) and you'll soon be able to spot that for instance a player was being heavily closed down and he didn't have enough space. 

10 hours ago, boblardo said:

My CD keep getting low rankings.  I am playing a 4-1-4-1, why would they get such low ratings (mistakes, missed interceptions, failed passes!?)

Look at the stats.  In my experience, 3 things cause low CD ratings.  The worst is you shipped a bunch of goals.  In the middle, the player lost too many headers, missed tackles, passed poorly, etc.

the best is when you dominate the game so he just doesn't do much.:hammer:

4 hours ago, QSF25 said:

How does automatic role on players actually work?

The automatic duty changes as you change mentality.  

iirc, Automatic + Contain/Defensive mentality = Defend duty;  

Automatic + Counter/Standard/Control = Support duty; and

Automatic + Attacking/Overload mentality = Attack duty.

12 hours ago, herne79 said:

The automatic duty changes as you change mentality.  

iirc, Automatic + Contain/Defensive mentality = Defend duty;  

Automatic + Counter/Standard/Control = Support duty; and

Automatic + Attacking/Overload mentality = Attack duty.

Thanks. 

Also There seems to be 2 PI which I feel or my english feels the same. 

Move into channels and roam for position what is the difference?

A little introduction of myself as this is my first post in here.

I am 28 years old and live in Norway where I dream of being a football manager every day as I play FM. I follow the Norwegian league (Rosenborg) and EPL (Liverpool).

I have played CM/FM for a long time and have had reasonable success in all versions without downloading tactics. But for the last two years I have struggled to “understand” the game..  

I have been lurking around for three years on this forum and I have learned a lot from all of you.

My problem can be split in several pieces but the main issue is – spotting tactical flaws within my system. On the older versions, if I took over a club I would just put together a formation and plot suitable players in them and it all worked OK. I would then go hunting for players that suited that type of role, not system, and the team got stronger for each new player I added. I am by no means saying that I won the champions league first year with Rosenborg on every FM up until now, but I could win the league with Liverpool comfortable. This type of approach didn’t need me to fully understand the match engine, but things change...

The last year I have tried to do things different and just implement a system beforehand and plot players suited for that type of role I have I mind, and this is where my main issue occurs, how do I know that my players are doing the right thing? How do I know that the move that player just did was the right one?

Reason for struggling I think lies within the tactical system. All the success I have had on FM I have played attacking and direct football, but the last year I have tried to do a mix with possession/direct, without luck.

SO, main issues; know the system and how the players should behave in it.

This is more of a question about finding areas within a tactic that needs fixing and how to understand that my players are doing the right thing. Therefor I don’t think pictures would help very much. I can add pictures if needed though J  

18 hours ago, QSF25 said:

Thanks. 

Also There seems to be 2 PI which I feel or my english feels the same. 

Move into channels and roam for position what is the difference?

Move into channels is for attacking and midfield players to move  into the space between fullback and centerback to make a run or get open for a pass. Roam from position is for all players to expand the radius in which they move off the ball- can be in any direction and varying distance in accordance with the match situation and the player's intelligence (decisions, off the ball, anticipation)

8 hours ago, Bror1000 said:

A little introduction of myself as this is my first post in here.

I am 28 years old and live in Norway where I dream of being a football manager every day as I play FM. I follow the Norwegian league (Rosenborg) and EPL (Liverpool).

I have played CM/FM for a long time and have had reasonable success in all versions without downloading tactics. But for the last two years I have struggled to “understand” the game..  

I have been lurking around for three years on this forum and I have learned a lot from all of you.

My problem can be split in several pieces but the main issue is – spotting tactical flaws within my system. On the older versions, if I took over a club I would just put together a formation and plot suitable players in them and it all worked OK. I would then go hunting for players that suited that type of role, not system, and the team got stronger for each new player I added. I am by no means saying that I won the champions league first year with Rosenborg on every FM up until now, but I could win the league with Liverpool comfortable. This type of approach didn’t need me to fully understand the match engine, but things change...

The last year I have tried to do things different and just implement a system beforehand and plot players suited for that type of role I have I mind, and this is where my main issue occurs, how do I know that my players are doing the right thing? How do I know that the move that player just did was the right one?

Reason for struggling I think lies within the tactical system. All the success I have had on FM I have played attacking and direct football, but the last year I have tried to do a mix with possession/direct, without luck.

SO, main issues; know the system and how the players should behave in it.

This is more of a question about finding areas within a tactic that needs fixing and how to understand that my players are doing the right thing. Therefor I don’t think pictures would help very much. I can add pictures if needed though J  

You may find this answer disappointing, but it's fairly simple -- how do you want your team to play? Short vs direct, compact vs open, etc. Once you have these "themes", how do you imagine your fullbacks behaving? How do you imagine your forwards? Etc, etc.

Your "themes" roughly translate to your mentality and fluidity, the rest to your roles. From there it's the rather mundane task of evaluating player by player if they're doing what you expect. If you want an Ashley Cole but your LB doesn't leave his own half, something is off. If you want a Peter Crouch but he's only challenging for a header or two a game, it's time to rethink your role(s).

Not particularly sexy, although it's how I approach it. It helps around here if you read threads where posters have emulated real-life approaches -- the expectations are fairly clear and then you'll see the analysis leading to tweaks.

Hi guys I just have a few question regarding the some of the instructions I have seen used on tactics published online by various authors.

Specifically, how certain instructions behaved when used in both team and player instructions.  

With tighter marking:

1)Intuitively, I would think that using this as a player instruction wouldn't make a difference on the engine if it is already selected as a team instruction.
2)  Instructions are sort of compounded , akin to how it works with say closing down, passing length etc.
So which one of the two happens? 

With harder tackling:
I sort of have the same question when using tackle harder as a PI in combination with Stay on Feet as a TI.  

Would it make the players less likely to dive into tackles but be more likely to make challenges? I mean more block tackles than sliding tackles?

With passing:
Also, if the team passing is set to short and play out of defence is selected, why do a lot of people publishing tactics still select shorter passing as a PI? I mean even without clicking on it, the passing meter usually has shorter selected, rather than mixed. 

Sorry if these have been already answered but the double up of instructions such as these are baffling me and I would love to know what actually happens.

Hello peole. I have two questions please:

1- Does an attacking libero close down high as stopper central defender? Can it be a bad ideia to use an attacking libero and 2 stoppers in a 3 man defense? 

2- When a player is not playing much in his club and has potencial left to fill but already with 26 or 27 years, can he still reach  his full potential?

Thank you

Edited by mikcheck

My extremely stupid question as I've forgotten the answer is ...

I know kne of these is true but not sure which one!!!

do first team team coaches also train the youth team ?

or is it that the youth team coaches also train the first team?

always gets this wrong :(

I'm bit confused with this piece of text. I think its something that should be looked and thats why I reported as a bug back in FM16, but since I might be wrong I would appreciate some help.

The TI Dribble Less states instructs players to adopt a first-pass mentality rather than retain possession and dribble their way into attacking situations. Now, if I want my players to move the ball around, passing instead of dribbling, its precisely to retain possession and not as its written rather than retain possession.

So, shouldn't it be instructs players to adopt a first-pass mentality and retain possession rather than dribble their way into attacking situations. ????