Sports Interactive Community
wwfan

Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

can someone explain team width i play 5-3-2 slightley narrow but nearly all my goals still come from crosses, so what would going wider do?

i get there be an easy answer but do people think passing attribute is more important for long or short passing teams, i'd of thought short as there are more passes but then the passes are generally easier so i'm not 100% sure.

It's a players ability to pass the ball regardless, so it's important for all passing styles.

i get there be an easy answer but do people think passing attribute is more important for long or short passing teams, i'd of thought short as there are more passes but then the passes are generally easier so i'm not 100% sure.

From a research perspective reliable short passers aren't required to have very high passing scores. Top ratings in the attribute indicate exceptional ability at the longest, most difficult passes.

But how risky the passes are is more important than the distance they travel. Good passers will be accurate enough to exploit tight gaps long or short, while poor passers will perhaps need to be limited to passes that allow them a few yards of leeway either side of their target.

i's interesting that at low level people play long ball with bad passers in defence, wouldn't a good passer in defence at lower league be valuble.

i play with a higher line and offside trap, but am i think it would be a good idea to have a centre back or two (i've 3) on cover.

my question is does anyone know if offside trap still works if you have CB's on cover or do they keep being caught out and it causes it big problem?

oh and would people go 2 cover and stopper or two cover and defend?

Thanks

i play with a higher line and offside trap, but am i think it would be a good idea to have a centre back or two (i've 3) on cover.

my question is does anyone know if offside trap still works if you have CB's on cover or do they keep being caught out and it causes it big problem?

oh and would people go 2 cover and stopper or two cover and defend?

Thanks

If you're playing the offside trap you want all the defenders on the same page and playing as a unit. You don't really want one dropping deeper and playing the opposition onside when the others have stepped up. You're just asking for trouble playing that way. It really doesn't make much sense. You either play the offside game properly or you don't, there's no room for middle ground as that's when mistakes happen and the CB costs you games.

Flexible seems to be making a big difference to alot more than movement,

so i though changing team shape from flexible to fluid would basically mean my defenders get more involved up front etc but not that much more, but in the few games i've scored it a WB nd 2 mid's have scored while on flexible as i've hd it on since start a couple of seasons my striker scored nearly all the goals. so this is obviously a good thing (gotta work out what the downside in this aspect is to balance it) (answers would be nice).

but what has suprised me is when i change it to fluid the player in the 3d match basically start to way cooler looking passed curling it round the defenders, quick one two, te few goals i've scored in fluid just look so much cooler, basically on flexible they mostly came from crosses from WB but with fluid (again short time) al sort of cool looking goals. again i need to work out the down side (i guess in this case it's losing the ball trying fancy football).

so if anyone could explain it'd be great, is all this fun football i'm watching the same as if i had creative freedom on or is that different again.

Thanks

If you're playing the offside trap you want all the defenders on the same page and playing as a unit. You don't really want one dropping deeper and playing the opposition onside when the others have stepped up. You're just asking for trouble playing that way. It really doesn't make much sense. You either play the offside game properly or you don't, there's no room for middle ground as that's when mistakes happen and the CB costs you games.

Thanks, that's what i originally thought i don't let in many goals so'l probably keep it.

Flexible seems to be making a big difference to alot more than movement,

so i though changing team shape from flexible to fluid would basically mean my defenders get more involved up front etc but not that much more, but in the few games i've scored it a WB nd 2 mid's have scored while on flexible as i've hd it on since start a couple of seasons my striker scored nearly all the goals. so this is obviously a good thing (gotta work out what the downside in this aspect is to balance it) (answers would be nice).

but what has suprised me is when i change it to fluid the player in the 3d match basically start to way cooler looking passed curling it round the defenders, quick one two, te few goals i've scored in fluid just look so much cooler, basically on flexible they mostly came from crosses from WB but with fluid (again short time) al sort of cool looking goals. again i need to work out the down side (i guess in this case it's losing the ball trying fancy football).

so if anyone could explain it'd be great, is all this fun football i'm watching the same as if i had creative freedom on or is that different again.

Thanks

More Fluid systems add individual player creativity, and make the team play in a more compact manner.

More Structured systems reduce individual player creativity, and spread the team out more.

Essentially that's all there is to Team Shape.

More Fluid systems add individual player creativity, and make the team play in a more compact manner.

More Structured systems reduce individual player creativity, and spread the team out more.

Essentially that's all there is to Team Shape.

Thanks, wish said that in the descriptions? it makes it sound like fluid is similar to roam from positions.

I play a 4-1-2-3 DM Wide, when I have a player sent off I go to a 4-1-3-1. I don't change the back four or DM, I go with 3 MCs, (Attack-Support-Attack) and the Striker I give a support role.

I have a brief question, I have this good goalkeeper with very low first touch. I put him on focused training to improve it, but he doesn't feel it's beneficial to him... He would be perfect sweeper keeper, if it wasn't for this one low attribute. So what should I do now?

- carry on, as it will improve, and devil may care about his unhappiness

- it's waste of time, better to train him on other area

- some other options, ideas?

Hi,

This is taken from Hands of God's Lines&Diamonds:

"Exploit the Flanks encourages wide defenders to provide mobility down the flanks by pushing up into midfield and attempting more forward runs. It also instrucs them to offer more penetration with frequent crosses. This is a quick means of targeting an exposed opposition fullback with a simple overload pattern."

So, if in my setup i have on the wings one Wb(a)+IF(s) what will this do to my players?

My Wb(a) already have default instructions to get further forward and cross more, so the exploit the flank instruction will have no affect?

And related with the rest of the players, manly the center midfielders, will they attempted to play wider?

And finally, will this instruction affect the way the IF(s) plays? Will they stay wider?77

Thks

I am attempting to create a tactic for my West Ham side after stumbling upon seemingly the best way to get something out of Dmitri Payet. I found that his passing stats are fantastic as an AP A in the AML strata in a 433/451 whatever you like to call it. So I added a few roles and duties and tried a few team instructions out over the course of 10 games or so. What I found was certain roles and duties were consistent however some were the opposite. Defensively things are very good but no matter what I try with regards to roles/duties/TI's/Mentality and Team Shape I just cannot create enough chances and score goals.

Payet himself drifts inside and seems to dictate play, this in turn allows room for my left WB to attack. So far I have used a defensive minded player on the left side of central midfield because I don't want him attacking Payet's space, "unless" there is a way of getting him beyond Payet in an attacking role. This creates a bit of a quandary on the right because my IF A seems to be the source of goals but if I have a defensive minded CM on the left then I need an attacking minded CM on the right to get players into the box without invading my IF's space. I really feel that you need to get at least three players into the box as much as possible. However this would leave me with three attacking duties on the right thus weakening defensively. The striker is he main problem though because whatever role I use and whatever player I use I cannot get him scoring.

My role set up is this. Those listed are the consistent ones and I have listed the inconsistent ones with a question mark. I am just wondering what you would suggest the do's and dont's are with regard to roles in this set up?

(***I have tried using Payet as an IF S and also as an AP A on the left sided midfield in the CM strata but he doesn't perform as well. As an AP A in the AML position he is regularly getting 8.8 and above)

_____________?______________

AP A____________________IF A

________?________?__________

____________HB D_____________

WB A____CD D____CD D____WB A

____________?_______________

Thanks,

Why not use Payet as AP(s), and play a CM(a) on the left side of the Midfield?

I play like this with Benfica, having Gaitan as AP(s) on the left side and Talisca or Renato Sanches playing as CM(a) on the left side of the Midfield.

I have Grimaldo, or Eliseu, as WB(a) on the left side also.

What happen, is that Gaitan will drop deep, sometimes almost to play side by side with the my MCR, while my MCL and the WBL go up taking advantage of the space.

It's risky, because of course playing with a WB(a) and a CM(a) on the same side, you must have nice cover from your defensive midfielder, so i would change that to a DM(d) or even a Anchorman.

DLF(s)

AP(s)_______________________IF(a)

CM(a)_________RPM(s)

DM(d)

WB(a)____DC(d)____DC(d)____WB(s)

SK(d)

PS: My main doubt in this setup is also the role for the forward. I'm using a DLF(s) with PI move into channels, but not 100% happy with it.

Why not use Payet as AP(s), and play a CM(a) on the left side of the Midfield?

I play like this with Benfica, having Gaitan as AP(s) on the left side and Talisca or Renato Sanches playing as CM(a) on the left side of the Midfield.

I have Grimaldo, or Eliseu, as WB(a) on the left side also.

What happen, is that Gaitan will drop deep, sometimes almost to play side by side with the my MCR, while my MCL and the WBL go up taking advantage of the space.

It's risky, because of course playing with a WB(a) and a CM(a) on the same side, you must have nice cover from your defensive midfielder, so i would change that to a DM(d) or even a Anchorman.

Mmmm food for thought thanks. I didn't get much out of Payet as an AP S but maybe an attacking role beside him may help. I play the HB because it seems to be the most defensively stable of the DM roles in this incarnation. Have tried both a DM and an Anchor and an Anchor especially seems to get bypassed and awful lot.

Re the forward I agree with you. No matter what role I use I get very little from the striker and it's always the wide players who get on the end of crosses. I score goals with two up top but never with a lone forward.

Is this viable as a base shape?

-------------CD CD CD

--------WB---DM----DM----WB

------------AM----------AM

-----------------ST

Most things are viable. Why not try it and see how it goes and what issues you have?

Does tutoring consumes PA if rising hidden attributes? I was scouting Martial, tutored by Jackson Martinez with genie scout and after the tutoring his potential attributes dropped a bit.

Nope it has nothing to do with CA at all. Hidden attributes are free. Genie scout isn't always accurate btw with attribute gains and losses or predicted attributes. That's why it's not supported by SI. Genie doesn't understand or take into consideration certain elements so the predicted attributes one is always inaccurate.

Sorry for giving my early post a bump, but i'm really curious about this.

Hi,

This is taken from Hands of God's Lines&Diamonds:

"Exploit the Flanks encourages wide defenders to provide mobility down the flanks by pushing up into midfield and attempting more forward runs. It also instrucs them to offer more penetration with frequent crosses. This is a quick means of targeting an exposed opposition fullback with a simple overload pattern."

So, if in my setup i have on the wings one Wb(a)+IF(s) what will this do to my players?

My Wb(a) already have default instructions to get further forward and cross more, so the exploit the flank instruction will have no affect?

And related with the rest of the players, manly the center midfielders, will they attempted to play wider?

And finally, will this instruction affect the way the IF(s) plays? Will they stay wider?77

Thks

The WB(A) should play slightly more aggressive and the team as a whole will try to get the ball out wide as often as possible.

No to both.

The WB(A) should play slightly more aggressive and the team as a whole will try to get the ball out wide as often as possible.

No to both.

Thks Hand of God

Can a player with attributes like Klaas Jan Huntelaar be successful playing as a lone striker with a role other than AF or Poacher? I'm considering selling him in the 1st window to bring in a more complete striker.

If I remember correctly, he has back to goal ppm so I think DLF can suit him as well. With his strength, he should be able to hold the ball up to link play or lay it off.

So let's just say, hypothetically, that both of your strikers go on international duty for a month and you aren't able to pick one up on loan... :D

What are some good formations for teams without strikers? I normally run a 4-1-2-3 DM Wide, to give you an idea of the players I have; I also have a couple of players who can play as AM©s. My thinking was that I would put in a AM© instead of a striker, but there are other spots I could put players, such as in central midfield, central defensive midfield and central defense. Any advice? *crosses fingers*

I am playing a 4-4-1-1, Attacking mentality, slightly deeper.

Wing backs automatic, ML-MR attacking, DLPsup, BWMsup, APsup,CFsup.

I m using a stopper-cover combo in my DCs and i was wondering where should i put the fastest one.

Should i use him in a stopper role or use his speed/accelaration to provide cover?

Team's got 4 DCs, 3 of them have 11-13 pace and 10-14 acceleration

and my star DC has 16 pace 16 acceleration

I'm certain I've read this before from a few people when designing tactics and getting them all working as you think they should. About not making any changes (unless you really have to), for all your friendlies and roughly 3 competitive games. Can someone jog my memory if that is correct, I remember it being because it gives you time to make sure firstly that a player isn't just having a one off bad game or maybe even the team in general is having an off day. I think Cleon has said something like it before and then about watching the first 3 games back after the game so that you aren't worrying about the result which could make you jump to a conclusion to make changes based on the score.

Thanks!

It's not a rule but it is something I personally always do yeah :)

I would drop the striker back to an AMC and use a Shadow Striker role to have someone getting forward into the box often. It might not be quite as good depending on your personnel, but it should get you through a few games.

It's not a rule but it is something I personally always do yeah :)

Thanks Cleon, I remember it being something you said you do. I will admit I'm probably my own worst nightmare when it comes to making changes too quickly or sometimes too late, so going to try and not change anything until I've seen it all back after a few games to make sure everything is performing how it should.

Wish my tactic was less reliant on the fullbacks. Any tips? http://i.imgur.com/Q08AFTH.png

I'm sure people will correct me if I'm wrong here, but I'd assume because you are using wing backs and IF, it will need them for the width as your IF will cut inside so they will rely on the full backs for that reason alone, maybe to mix it up you could change one of the wing backs and IF to a different role, but it could move the balance out of your formation which you might not want to do. The tactic looks fairly balanced though so I wouldn't worry about it if it isn't causing you a problem.

Can a player with attributes like Klaas Jan Huntelaar be successful playing as a lone striker with a role other than AF or Poacher? I'm considering selling him in the 1st window to bring in a more complete striker.

If you surround him with support, he doesn't need to be a great passer and can potentially get on the end of more give-and-go moves.

Wish my tactic was less reliant on the fullbacks. Any tips? http://i.imgur.com/Q08AFTH.png

Use support duties at MLR/AMLR. The movement of attack duty wingers is rather one-dimensional at the moment.

Toying with a 3-3-3-1 formation, 3 CDs, 2 x CWB & Regista, Advanced Forward up top, Flat 3 in midfield, central winger flanked by... 2 BWMs? Or 2 B2B? Or 2 CM(s)?

I'm thinking BWMs. I want them to be dynamic but not be too cavalier and of course to offer some cover for the wingbacks that bomb on.

Thoughts?

Toying with a 3-3-3-1 formation, 3 CDs, 2 x CWB & Regista, Advanced Forward up top, Flat 3 in midfield, central winger flanked by... 2 BWMs? Or 2 B2B? Or 2 CM(s)?

I'm thinking BWMs. I want them to be dynamic but not be too cavalier and of course to offer some cover for the wingbacks that bomb on.

Thoughts?

It's a stock answer but the best thing to do is to try it. It sounds as though you've got an idea of how you want to play so there's your starting point.

Is there a way for coaches to be set to automatically train preferred moves on their own judgment?

What's the best way to set up an inside forward to cross the ball when he's close to the byline instead of taking pointless shots EVERY SINGLE TIME? I don't want to mess with my tactical instructions because they're getting him in that position in the first place. I can't see any of the player set ups that make the player sit narrower and cross more often. All I want is for him to square the ball instead of shooting, is that too much to ask?

What's the best way to set up an inside forward to cross the ball when he's close to the byline instead of taking pointless shots EVERY SINGLE TIME? I don't want to mess with my tactical instructions because they're getting him in that position in the first place. I can't see any of the player set ups that make the player sit narrower and cross more often. All I want is for him to square the ball instead of shooting, is that too much to ask?

If you want a hybrid W/IF, then you should opt for a W (a) role and use PPM "Cuts Inside"

If you want a hybrid W/IF, then you should opt for a W (a) role and use PPM "Cuts Inside"

I'm looking for his starting position to be narrow, I don't want him cutting in from the wing.

Teach him the looks for pass rather than shot PPM?

Teach him the looks for pass rather than shot PPM?

Doesn't work. Markovic already has that and still shoots instead of passing. He also has cuts inside. I know it's probably something to do with my tactical set up, maybe work ball into box, but it's really annoying to see players shooting from ridiculously acute angles when they just wouldn't do that in real life. At least not with the regularity I see in FM.

You can try playing him at the WM position. It gives you the option of letting him giving him more PIs. Sitting narrow, cross more often and from the byline.

My board wants me to play direct football so I thought it would be a good idea to make a 4231 attacking mentality direct tactic. Im doing poorly as most teams sit deep and are defensive and the good teams overpower me. The board also dont recognise my style as direct football, can I not play this way and be direct? Does the board only percieve direct football as a long ball defensive game. Can I continue playing like this and be successful even though i'm struggling to break down defensive sides?

My board wants me to play direct football so I thought it would be a good idea to make a 4231 attacking mentality direct tactic. Im doing poorly as most teams sit deep and are defensive and the good teams overpower me. The board also dont recognise my style as direct football, can I not play this way and be direct? Does the board only percieve direct football as a long ball defensive game. Can I continue playing like this and be successful even though i'm struggling to break down defensive sides?

this was the tactic i was using before i rage resigned I've since left Liverpool ...n6UL0tt.pngSLldxQ8.png

I am playing a 4-4-1-1, Attacking mentality, slightly deeper.

Wing backs automatic, ML-MR attacking, DLPsup, BWMsup, APsup,CFsup.

I m using a stopper-cover combo in my DCs and i was wondering where should i put the fastest one.

Should i use him in a stopper role or use his speed/accelaration to provide cover?

Team's got 4 DCs, 3 of them have 11-13 pace and 10-14 acceleration

and my star DC has 16 pace 16 acceleration

Guys, anyone?

Guys, anyone?

Imo you would want the faster defender on a covering duty assuming he has good anticipation, for a stopper bravery, aggression and being good in the air I think would be important.

Guys, anyone?

I'd be more concerned with the lack of defensive protection from your midfield and 2 attack minded fullbacks (automatic + attacking mentality = attack duty) that sit behind 2 attacking wingers, than your central defensive pairing.

From the little information posted, it's a very aggressive setup.

I'd be more concerned with the lack of defensive protection from your midfield and 2 attack minded fullbacks (automatic + attacking mentality = attack duty) that sit behind 2 attacking wingers, than your central defensive pairing.

From the little information posted, it's a very aggressive setup.

I concur :)