Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

Each game I am getting a lot of shots, 90% of which are in the box, however we aren't scoring much at all. Most shots are saved or go wide. In fact, we very rarely get a CCC.

Is this likely to be a confidence/skill issue or a tactical one?

• Replies 17.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Cleon. I have always thought this is the better way to do things but it never seems to work out how i think it will. But when i send players out on Loan they suddenly turn better in a season without me really realising it. I try to give training instructions and mould players but is it just about giving them game time that is the ultimate gain for youngsters. I'll give an example. I had a player at Maidstone when i got to the premiership. Never noticed him, played in my u18 and i loaned him out as didn't give him a chance to get into my first team. Two years at Cardiff later and he's the best english winger (doesn't say much) and only 20 so i play him in the first team and 3 years later he's in the world team of the year.

On the other hand i have a player now at Arsenal. Scouts say he could be 5 stars (4 1/2 with half shaded) and stats for a 16 year old are incredible. So i think i'll keep him and try and mould him into the player i want him to be as i have Pogba and see him as the perfect replacement. Got Pogba tutoring him, have him training with the first team with coaches that are good with youngsters, try not to overwork him and i play him in all cup games and against lesser champions league teams. He also plays the end of games i am comfortably winning and in my u21 team so gets a lot of game time. And when he plays he plays quite well to be fair to him. Only problem is this has been going on for 3 years now and attribute wise he has hardly developed. Is there something i am missing as players I have sent on loan have developed nicely but my coaching team and level of football is surely better than those at championship level? I know attributes aren't the be all and end all but it is good to see a player you like develop nicely. Just wondering if there is anything you might know of that can help develop a players overall attributes quicker or at all for that matter?

How have you set up general training and what about actual individual focus for the player? If you aren't seeing attribute rises then it's definitely something you are doing or the player doesn't have much potential.

Each game I am getting a lot of shots, 90% of which are in the box, however we aren't scoring much at all. Most shots are saved or go wide. In fact, we very rarely get a CCC.

Is this likely to be a confidence/skill issue or a tactical one?

No-one can answer without a proper detailed post explaining your system and showing examples.

going on from this, does first team football improve different attributes vs training, say if you loan them out to championship there mentality will improve but in prem training more technical attributes?

First team football doesn't improve attributes it just frees up current ability which then training distributes into attributes.

What do people understand by the 'Headers won' stat for teams, e.g. 10/20 (50%).

I don't quite fully understand what this signifies. I know that might sound daft, but I would assume this would relate to an 'aerial duel' - as in a player from each team challenging for the same high ball. But then I don't understand why the opposition will have a different figure from a different number of "duels".

Surely, if my figures for 'Headers won' are 5/20 (25%), then my opponents ought to be 15/20 (75%).

If anyone can shed any light on this, I'd be most grateful.

Cheers.

What do people understand by the 'Headers won' stat for teams, e.g. 10/20 (50%).

I don't quite fully understand what this signifies. I know that might sound daft, but I would assume this would relate to an 'aerial duel' - as in a player from each team challenging for the same high ball. But then I don't understand why the opposition will have a different figure from a different number of "duels".

Surely, if my figures for 'Headers won' are 5/20 (25%), then my opponents ought to be 15/20 (75%).

Cheers.

It'll include headers where only 1 person was involved (so no one from the opposition) and will then not affect the other team's stats. Not every header is contested.

Hello everyone,

how strong is effect of tactic familiarity?

If it is strong, what issues it provide? I mean, i play bad, my tactic familiarity is not fluid. To what problem in game i could temporary close eyes, because it will fixed, when familiarity become fluid?

How have you set up general training and what about actual individual focus for the player? If you aren't seeing attribute rises then it's definitely something you are doing or the player doesn't have much potential.

I have given him individual training to improve a few areas of his game. I take it i am right in assuming that he might just not have potential in the areas i want him to, for example if i try to improve his dribbling he may just not have the potential to do so? and also that sometimes scouts can be wrong with potential abilities?

Cheers.

Cheers.

You asked the same thing a few posts up and it was answered.

From my understanding, a defensive forward (defend) should be dropping back and putting pressure on opposition midfielders, but I'm not really seeing that in my save. Usually ends up in line with my CFA when the opposition have the ball, is me using the attack mentality having an effect on him?

From my understanding, a defensive forward (defend) should be dropping back and putting pressure on opposition midfielders, but I'm not really seeing that in my save. Usually ends up in line with my CFA when the opposition have the ball, is me using the attack mentality having an effect on him?

Yes your mentality changes the roles base.

afa2e2c56d3a069ce03061d376e0b12e.png

How is it possible that my striker isn't suited to play as an complete forward? He is very allround and has high suitability to play all the other roles.

The complete forward role also comes with a potential modification. Hence why he's scored lower for that the the other roles which don't have this factor included.

Yes your mentality changes the roles base.

Got it. So is there a way of setting up a forward to drop further back and put pressure on the opposition defensive mid without changing the mentality? I'm playing a very fluid flat 442 on attack at the moment that I ideally want to look like a 4411 when I don't have possession. As it is, I see no real difference between my defensive forward defend and complete forward attack, they're usually level when the opposition have the ball behind them.

I like playing with two forwards, so I'm loathe to have 4411 as my base formation, turning into more of a 442 when I'm in possession.

Got it. So is there a way of setting up a forward to drop further back and put pressure on the opposition defensive mid without changing the mentality? I'm playing a very fluid flat 442 on attack at the moment that I ideally want to look like a 4411 when I don't have possession. As it is, I see no real difference between my defensive forward defend and complete forward attack, they're usually level when the opposition have the ball behind them.

I like playing with two forwards, so I'm loathe to have 4411 as my base formation, turning into more of a 442 when I'm in possession.

If that's what you want, then you should set the formation as a 4411. The formation you set is the defensive shape. The other option is to specific man mark a midfielder.

The complete forward role also comes with a potential modification. Hence why he's scored lower for that the the other roles which don't have this factor included.

So if he for example played as an Complete Forward 10 games and had bad ratings during those games his ability for that role drops?

Tubby,

Could be that on very fluid the mentalities of your players become so similar there is no obvious difference between your DF and CF.

Never thought of that, I might give that a go and see what happens. Will also try man marking as HUNT3R suggested.

So if he for example played as an Complete Forward 10 games and had bad ratings during those games his ability for that role drops?

No that has no impact on it. What I mean with a potential modification is the game actually takes his potential ability into account when giving a rating out for complete forward, Raumdeuter and a Treq off the top of my head. But the other roles are only rated on his attributes alone. Those roles I mentioned take into account his role and his potential.

No-one can answer without a proper detailed post explaining your system and showing examples.

First team football doesn't improve attributes it just frees up current ability which then training distributes into attributes.

i don't have the editor, what do you mean free up Ca improve it or something else?

another question, when you see players with alot of red arrows redistibuting attributes does this mean they have reached their peak or just their CA for example if PA is 170 but CA is 155 would attributes be distibuted with red arrows as they have'nt improved more than this or do they keep improving untill they hit a ceiling?

Hi! I may have a stupid question that has a obvious answer, or maybe not. The thing I've been wondering about is if it's possible to make your fullbacks occupy their respective half-spaces? And a question about wingers, if it's possible to make them huge the touchline to really provide width and stretch the opposition defense?

i don't have the editor, what do you mean free up Ca improve it or something else?

another question, when you see players with alot of red arrows redistibuting attributes does this mean they have reached their peak or just their CA for example if PA is 170 but CA is 155 would attributes be distibuted with red arrows as they have'nt improved more than this or do they keep improving untill they hit a ceiling?

If you don't have the Editor, how do you know a players' CA and PA?

Forget CA and PA, for all intents and purposes they don't exist. They are simply a method for the game to ensure everyone has a different potential they may reach, and to make sure there is a limit to how "good" a player can become. They're not meant to be used by us. Just focus on player attributes and your own coach reports - they contain all the information you need.

Red arrows can mean different things, but they can also mean a very short term hiccup. Look at players long term development graphs to see if there is an overall upward trend. If there is then there is no issue.

I'm really getting the feeling of deja vu at the moment...with all the questions you ask, do you forget what you have already asked and had replies to?

Hi! I may have a stupid question that has a obvious answer, or maybe not. The thing I've been wondering about is if it's possible to make your fullbacks occupy their respective half-spaces? And a question about wingers, if it's possible to make them huge the touchline to really provide width and stretch the opposition defense?

The half space is a new hipster term- what do you actually mean by it? You want them pushing up into the final third? And wingers can be instructed to hug the touchline. I don't have my FM up at the moment to double check, but it is PI for the winger I believe.

The half space is a new hipster term- what do you actually mean by it? You want them pushing up into the final third? And wingers can be instructed to hug the touchline. I don't have my FM up at the moment to double check, but it is PI for the winger I believe.

I don't know about that! Here's a picture which illustrate the halfspace(s)! I want my fullbacks occupying their respective halfspace and offer support to the midfield. In turn, I want my wingers to provide the width by hugging the touchline and stretch the opposition defense.

half-space.png

I don't know about that! Here's a picture which illustrate the halfspace(s)! I want my fullbacks occupying their respective halfspace and offer support to the midfield. In turn, I want my wingers to provide the width by hugging the touchline and stretch the opposition defense.

half-space.png

I see what you mean. I just laugh a bit because it wasn't a term I ever heard until the last year or two :). So it looks like you want them to hang back to support the midfield- probably a defend duty will be what you want, but there doesn't seem to be a way to get them tuck in quite like that. Your wingers as I mentioned above can be set to hug the touchline, so that will do what you want.

I play a flat 4132, with one DM and three CMs. The one CM in the center is ball-winning midfielder, while the two others are advanced playmakers. My assistant says there's too much distance between midfield and attack, allowing the opponent time to build play from the back. Is there any way to solve this problem without adding wingers or attacking midfielders? I like my current positional setup and would like to keep it, so I hope there are some instructions that allows me to solve this.

I have responsibilitie over everything. Now the training workload is sitting at medium, however looking at individual training everyone have a heavy intensity without any typ of extra training, ppm or positional training.

Starting to believe this must be a bug ?

I have the same problem with Ebbsfleet. I am on 25th of July, first season. At the beggining of the game I set the general training on fitness high. To every player I set individual training as it was suggested by my AM in Backroom Advice tab. I didn't set anything related to the individual intensity, I didn't find such an option. Do you know where can I find such an option?

Moreover, I observed that the individual intensity is different for my players, even if they have the same age (26) and are key players. Do you know why and how it is possible to resolve the problem?

Some of my players say that the intensity is too heavt for them.

Is it wishful thinking that during tutoring, the hidden attributes will only improve. for example, if i want a player with high consistency but is a dirty player to tutor a player with low cosnsistency but is a bit of a goody goody, will both consistency and dirtiness be affected or just the consistency. Cheers

Salve,

quick question - assuming you have good players for the role (Boateng, Laporte) is there any reason NOT to use a BPD-D, BPD-D combo instead of the standard CD-D, CD-D? I know BPD have more risky passes and that's okay, but are there any "hidden" changes, eg automatically higher defense line with BPD or else?

Thanks

Would the move into channels PI be an effective way to get some width out of a central mid? Especially in a narrow formation.

It could do, yes. I don't think you should expect to see a great deal of width out of it, but he should drift wide on the attack for you.

I play a flat 4132, with one DM and three CMs. The one CM in the center is ball-winning midfielder, while the two others are advanced playmakers. My assistant says there's too much distance between midfield and attack, allowing the opponent time to build play from the back. Is there any way to solve this problem without adding wingers or attacking midfielders? I like my current positional setup and would like to keep it, so I hope there are some instructions that allows me to solve this.

First off, ignore the assman. What is important is what you see. Likely you are getting that message because you have your two forwards on attack or in roles that push forward while your midfield three have much lower mentalities. The assman generates responses based on stats and numbers. For example, it your defenders are winning lots of headers, he'll tell you you should put more balls into the box because you are winning most of the headers!?!?!

The key is if your setup is working for you. If you don't find your attackers are isolated and you are playing as you want, you are good.

I have the same problem with Ebbsfleet. I am on 25th of July, first season. At the beggining of the game I set the general training on fitness high. To every player I set individual training as it was suggested by my AM in Backroom Advice tab. I didn't set anything related to the individual intensity, I didn't find such an option. Do you know where can I find such an option?

Moreover, I observed that the individual intensity is different for my players, even if they have the same age (26) and are key players. Do you know why and how it is possible to resolve the problem?

Some of my players say that the intensity is too heavt for them.

In 16 you can no longer set individual training intensities for players. Players that complain about the high intensity are generally less professional, but their moaning doesn't affect anything. I ignore the complaints.

Is it wishful thinking that during tutoring, the hidden attributes will only improve. for example, if i want a player with high consistency but is a dirty player to tutor a player with low cosnsistency but is a bit of a goody goody, will both consistency and dirtiness be affected or just the consistency. Cheers

Consistency can't be changed via tutoring. It changes over time, if it changes at all, and with experience. Not ever seen dirtiness changed by tutoring either, but I won't go so far as to say it doesn't as I don't have empirical proof. I don't think it does, though. Big matches won't change via tutoring either. It works like consistency- time and experience.

Consistency can't be changed via tutoring. It changes over time, if it changes at all, and with experience. Not ever seen dirtiness changed by tutoring either, but I won't go so far as to say it doesn't as I don't have empirical proof. I don't think it does, though. Big matches won't change via tutoring either. It works like consistency- time and experience.

oh.. so what actually does tutoring affect?

oh.. so what actually does tutoring affect?

Professionalism, Determination, Ambition, Pressure, Loyalty, Temperament, Controversy, Adaptability, Sportsmanship, plus PPMs if you have select the right option (off the pitch option won't affect PPMs).

Professionalism, Determination, Ambition, Pressure, Loyalty, Temperament, Controversy, Adaptability, Sportsmanship, plus PPMs if you have select the right option (off the pitch option won't affect PPMs).

On that, what's the difference between the two options for tutoring, is it just PPMs being passed on?

Is there a thread discussing set pieces? Can't seem to find one....

There have been several indivual threads discussing corners primarily over the past few months, but I don't think there has been a comprehensive setpiece thread in a great long while. Perhaps one could be started? It doesn't seem that threads about set pieces generate a lot of interest for some reason, though. Would be worth a shot, if you wanted to crank one up.

On that, what's the difference between the two options for tutoring, is it just PPMs being passed on?

Yes, just that, otherwise they work the same.

In 16 you can no longer set individual training intensities for players. Players that complain about the high intensity are generally less professional, but their moaning doesn't affect anything. I ignore the complaints.

Ok, but why I have a different workload for my players? On the team's training page, you can only set for all the team. When I go on every's player page, the workload is different, it is not the same for everybody. What is the reason or the tool for that difference and how much does it matter in FM 2016? What is the correct setting in order to raise their attributes as you choose?

At the beggining of the game, if you afford, it is ok to buy a lot of youngsters and to let them in your 18/21 years old squad, in order to raise their attributes and to sell them later on? I just started with Ebbsfleet in Vanarama South and I have about 100k Euro for buying players.

Ok, but why I have a different workload for my players? On the team's training page, you can only set for all the team. When I go on every's player page, the workload is different, it is not the same for everybody. What is the reason or the tool for that difference and how much does it matter in FM 2016? What is the correct setting in order to raise their attributes as you choose?

At the beggining of the game, if you afford, it is ok to buy a lot of youngsters and to let them in your 18/21 years old squad, in order to raise their attributes and to sell them later on? I just started with Ebbsfleet in Vanarama South and I have about 100k Euro for buying players.

I don't have my FM up at the moment to poke around, but you are correct that you set only for the team. The workload for each player is team training + role/position training + individual focus + PPMs. So if your team setting is at medium, and you have any of the others, it will raise the load. That said, it doesn't matter that I've ever found. I routinely have heavy workloads and not seen any negative effects outside of players moaning a little. There is not a magic forumla for raising attributes. Attributes will raise through match experience and over time if the player can improve. The training directs how the improvements are distributed but doesn't cause attributes to rise.

As for your second question, that might be okay as a strategy, but at the level you are playing I don't know how much luck you will have making a profit on the players. Teams down there just don't pay much if anything for players, unless you get lucky with a prospect that attracts attention from bigger clubs.

How come I cant change crossing settings on players playing in the AML/AMR position? It's either Cross often (wingers) or cross never (AP/IF/Raum).

(I am aware the Wide Targetman let's you decide yourself).

Playing a 4 man backline against a lone striker, what is the best approach? Should both CDs just be regular defenders, or should one be stopper and one cover? I assumed the latter, but I tried it and it didn't seem to work. But it SHOULD work. So I think there was something wrong with how I implemented it. I played the slower defender as stopper and the faster one as cover, for one thing. Does limited vs. ball playing vs. regular make a difference? I didn't do anything special with mark tighter, either TI or PI. Was that a mistake on my part?

I see what you mean. I just laugh a bit because it wasn't a term I ever heard until the last year or two :). So it looks like you want them to hang back to support the midfield- probably a defend duty will be what you want, but there doesn't seem to be a way to get them tuck in quite like that. Your wingers as I mentioned above can be set to hug the touchline, so that will do what you want.

I suspected that! Thanks anyway.

I have another question thou. Which role is the more attacking-minded of the fullbacks? Is it wingback - attack or is it complete wingback - attack?

I suspected that! Thanks anyway.

I have another question thou. Which role is the more attacking-minded of the fullbacks? Is it wingback - attack or is it complete wingback - attack?

Complete Wingback as far as I recall is the most attacking you can get- but I won't swear to it as I don't have my game up and to be honest, I have used just the wingback attack role (playing at too low a level to have need or players that can play the complete role) and that sucker gets it done-it's pretty attacking. Perhaps someone else here can elaborate on what the major differences are.