Wishlist: What you would like to see in future versions of the game. All 'list' ideas in here.

I hope for the Tactics Creator and the ME become alot more diverse and complex. By this I mean more options and so forth. I feel it is hard to re-create the style of Barcelona. As to it is to create the solidility of Jose's Inter. I feel their should be a lot more options, and us as manager's should have more control over the tactics of our sides. This is not a rant, as I feel the current state of the tactics side is great. Yet, a moe complex system would expand the game a lot :)

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's be nice if the game generated more buzz around managers. i.e i'm a rookie manager in the lowest league in Italy, but it's february and so far my no hope team are undefeated, yet i'm still on unproven reputation. It doesn't seem to matter to the game if you are unbeaten or if you've lost three times and are still top, whereas IRL there'd be much more interest from the media if you were on for an undefeated season and your reputation as a manager would rise quickly and attract bigger clubs.

It's a management game, so much more should be done to make the manager role more important, respected and unique to each individual and their style.

I have detected a lot of "bugs" that should be corrected.

For exemple, i am a 102 years old manager, in 2082, always in same team, SPORTING CLUBE DE PORTUGAL, never have "vacaciones" and the game dont force me to retire or die or something, just continue...

But the game could be better in a lot of other aspects, if SI are interested contact me using personal message of fórum.

If you want to expand/improve media, perhaps have non game day requests from magazines/papers for a profile piece where you could discuss your philosophy, how you like life at your club, plans for future etc which could also boost your reputation locally, nationally or internationally, depending on the prestige of the paper involved.

I would love it that if you lose in a competition the board don't regard as important and will judge you elsewhere, like italian cup or something, that if you lose, probably fielding a weak team that in the monthly confidence update they dont say that they are disappointed with the result/performance or it cant be ignored etc.

YOU TOLD ME IT WASN'T IMPORTANT!

sulk :(

Being able to pick and choose who you promote to the U18's. I mean most that come through are right dogs. Maybe having a minimum number of players you have to select then you could at least shape the future of your team alot more rather than having to work with players who you have no hope or are just there to make up the numbers. Also more in depth reports on the youngsters up for selection to U18 level.

The one thing I still think is missing from FM is an world atlas showing where each team is located, one such as implemented by Footiemap.com. I think this would be a good inclusion in to FM, especially when choosing a game in a foreign league you know nothing about and add one of the last bits of polish to the FM interface.

1. Could we have a more flexible/intuitive approach to player positions? E.g. If I have a player whose only position is MC, but has all the attributes needed to be a very good defensive-minded midfielder at whatever level he plays at, it seems daft to me that he gets a red warning light if I try to play him in the DMC position. Is there a way that for the regens/newgens, that the game is more intelligent in designating the positions he can play in? If the regen/newgen starts off with attributes which could develop into a good DMC (for example), could he be at least a 'competent' DMC?

2. Could the 'Central Midfielder' position have an 'Automatic' role, as the Full Backs and Wide Midfielders have?

I'll post more if I think of any. Until then, thanks!

Being able to pick and choose who you promote to the U18's. I mean most that come through are right dogs. Maybe having a minimum number of players you have to select then you could at least shape the future of your team alot more rather than having to work with players who you have no hope or are just there to make up the numbers. Also more in depth reports on the youngsters up for selection to U18 level.

I totally agree with this! But where to choose the players from to enter into the U18 team? :)

One thing that would be nice would be season highlights by team and by player.

Let's say that you want to see all your team goals so far in the season.

Or certain player's goals

Or your goalkeeper's best saves (those that are rated as fantastic or brilliant by commentary).

Etc.

That would be a great way to see season summary like in one 3d review.

I would like to be able to release a negative comment about a player not just say you're in awe of them etc. Players can ''hit out'' at managers when they leave a club, but the ex manager cannot reply. I want to be able to say why our relationship broke down and why he's no loss etc.

Quite a minor feature i would really like to see introduced is a small introduction before the game starts. Just teams coming out, lining up and a few bits of commentary saying along the lines of 'welcome to the so-n-so stadium, its a lovely day here' etc etc. (With the option to skip it if you want in preferences)

At the moment you just click continue and the players and all in position, creating a bit of an anti-climax after the pre-match stuff.

Also, as has been mentioned before, a little manager avatar!

Im not saying the graphical side is the most important aspect of FM, far from it, but little changes can make a huge difference.

I have a suggestion that came out of my frustration with the Hall Of Fame

I am playing as a Welsh Premier League side, and have won 3 leagues and 4 domestic cups. However, in the Hall of Fame I am only credited with 2 cup wins. I suggested some sort of points system be allocated to each cup. FrazT pointed out, correctly, that in this case you might have a lower league manager overtaking a much higher manager simply because they've won more at their level. To combat this, I made this suggestion:

20 points for winning English FA Cup

15 points for winning Carling/League Cup

10 points for winning JPT trophy

7 points for winning FA Trophy

5 points for winning FA Vase

20 points for winning English Premier League

17 points for winning English Championship

15 points for winning League 1

10 points for winning League 2

7 points for winning BSP

5 points for winning BSP North/South

This would mean, for example, you would have to WIN the BSP North FOUR times to equal ONE win in the Premier League..and who is going to do that, unless you get promoted 4 times and relegated 4 times..which i see as completely insane. As I pointed out to FrazT, if you apply the points for the BSP, FA Trophy and Vase to the Welsh Premier, Loosemores Cup and Welsh Cup, I would be on 45 points, still some 27 behind John Toshack who has league wins in Turkey and other european honours. I would need 2 more leagues and 2 Loosemore cups to overtake him, by which time I would probably have won more honours than him. The disparity between the points could be even greater, say:

20 points for winning Premier League

15 points for winning Championship

7 points for winning League 1

5 points for winning League 2

3 points for winning BSP

1 point for winning BSP North South

I would think that people who are into career games would appreciate an overhaul of the HOF, and this seems like a logical solution.....this way, ALL championships, cups, etc, have relevance for the HOF, but there would still be a massive gap between lower and higher divisions. Of course, if you start in the BSP North and win every single cup and every single league, you're going to rack up massive points...31 just for the leagues in my last suggestion, but is it REALLY likely to happen...and if it DOES...you deserve the points IMO!

It does inevitably mean that a highly successful lower league manager might overhaul a less successful higher league manager, but in leagues with promotion and relegation, in 99% of cases, surely the lower league manager would have progressed to a higher league in the amassing of points, therefore rendering that argument irrelevant.

Another possible solution is that if you get relegated from a division, you LOSE the same HOF points you would for winning. So, a manager gets his team from the Championship to the Premiership as champions, gets 15 points. However, he immediately gets them relegated, and LOSES 20 POINTS. Therefore, if he gets them promoted again...like some clubs recently, he is still 5 points down, and therefore a weaker manager and lower in the HOF. Not sure, but this might be possible to apply in the cups..losing a final loses an equal number of points that the winning manager gains.

Would be interested to know what you think, cos I'm in my first EVER extended game and would really appreciate being credited with ALL my wins!

I would agree that something needs to be done about how the HOF is shown; I don't agree with the current system that makes lower league trophies irrelevant when looking at your record - I.E. you might have won several lower league trophies but the records say 2 minor trophies I.e. League Cup etc.

So I think that this should be changed to show all of your trophies - even if it recorded them as Major Trophies, Minor Trophies and Lower League Trophies...? I don't necessarily agree that someone who wins lots of lower league trophies should be high on the HOF compared to someone winning at the highest level - while your point is correct about league trophies

Where I am less sure is that the point system is wrong. I honestly don't know the current one so difficult to say its whether its wrong. If the points you suggest were to be implemented I would argue that the Premier League and those above that would have to be worth far more than the rest. A manager could easily win the championship twice (not IRL as that has not been seen in my remembrance but certainly in the game) with a relegation in between and be seen as a better manager than someone winning the Premier League once... So maybe Premier League at 100 perhaps with Championship at 20 etc

shadow striker position I think we need this position to distinguish between an out and out striker and a forward just off the main striker. As it is in the game, a deep lying forward reasonably carries out the job but they are a bit to close and and in line with the stiker and their movement isn't great. Also, the AI don't know the style of real life fowards for instance Carlos Tevez is a shadow striker in real life but doesn't play this role in the game and scores too many goals from a different style. A new position would help AI managers play players in their correct style.

Training reports I think we need weekly and more detailed training reports from coaches. For instance, a coach will tell you who has performed badly in training and doesn't look match sharp or they will say about fringe players, " This player has performed well in training over the last week and should be considered for a place on the bench on saturday."

Player interactions For instance in FM10, I haven't been playing my 2nd choice goalkeeper they come to me asking to be transfer listed and i am giving a list of options to choose from. Then from what i say the player will react and this reaction could be different from player to player. This is good but there needs to be more situations. For instance a player comes to you asking for advice on retiring. Then you are giving different options to choose from like

- Ask him to go away and consider it and come back to you

- Tell him that you don't believe he is good enough for next season

- Tell him he is a key part of your plans

- Tell him you want him to sign a new contract

- Tell him you want him as a future coach at the club if he decides to retire

That is the general idea anyway

Manager bias Don't know if it's in the game but some managers look to buy more players from their home country like Mourinho signing portugese players, Benitiz signing spainsh players and Wenger signing french players. Also if managers have players listed as their favourite personal they should try and sign them

Player Interaction

More International Tournament

Pan American Games

U-17 International matches

Other international Tournament

More Jobs for NPC

M.D.

Several more board position: President (Spain), CEO, CFO, etc

Chairman & board may resign without sell the stocks in the club

Options to the the Chairman: Go to he............ if the chairman sell or buy players for you

Ive got a couple of bugbears that have been annoying me for a while :)

1. You get the season off to a flyer with 2 or 3 big wins, at this time you have no opportunity to praise your players (that kicks in after about 4 weeks in the season) but your players are upset that you dont "give the team enough credit"... Seems like punishment for doing well...

2. Theres "disharmony" in my squad but no information on who/what is causing it so fixing it is either a complete guessing game or dependent on stuff outside my control...

3. If I have a 202cm DC with 15 heading and 16 jumping then when I have a corner I want his ass front and center, not hanging back at the center line....

4. Ive done the improbable, My League 1 team has pinched the League Cup and qualified for the EC (lucky draw, Stole the final against Ipswich 2-1), and now my best players are bitching about having to move to a better club to get trophies... Id have thought theyd be ecstatic that Ive managed to provide top level competition for them.

5. Speaking of the EC, why are home games turnouts so low? I mean 10%ish of league game... Its annoying enough that my league progress will be halted by lack of money having a stadium that only holds 4500 (Ok, Ive dragged Maidenhead up from BSS to CH- I got out of BSS in season 1, which was surprising but I think that made BSP quite a difficult challenge) but 400 at an EC home game? Qualifying round or not, I has getting better crowds in the JPT L2... Hell, I was getting better turnouts in BSS...

6. Id like to do SOMETHING with my wages, shares in other football clubs, late night poker with my players, anything really....

7. the U21 tournament HURTS man :) That tourney stripped my squad of 5 first 11 players last season, which would have been ok if I hadnt just had an horrific run of injuries amongst my senior players. My first team usually has 28 players, and I could not field a starting eleven from that squad at the time, never mind actually playing them in position :rolleyes: I had to drag the keeper from the U18 squad.

8. When an opposing defender has a yellow, Id like to direct my attack through that player, to pressure him into maybee fouling again and getting sent off, or into backing off to avoid fouling and allowing my attack extra space/time.

9. Setting tactics to players instead of just positions, I have 2 AML/ST players, one is suited to inside forward and the other wing, it just gets annoying to change the tactic every time I sub the players.

10 which brings me to rotations... Id love to be able to set up a rotation schedule for positions, If I have 4 MCs of similar ability It would be nice to rotate them through without having to select them for every single match (and to parse them out if injured/suspended). Saving selections doesnt work cos theres just too many permutations. It could also reduce players whining about not getting played enough.

11. Speaking of that Id love to tell a player "youre not getting football cos you suck, and if you dont like it theres the door (free transfer/mutual termination)"

12. Often I like to drag a BSS/BSN team to the bigtime (Im sure lots do) Most teams and players are out of the scope of the immediate gameplay, but I would still like the fullness of game that they provide when you get up in the leagues without suffering the slowness of processing each day for all those teams and leagues while still a low level team. A "quick and dirty" processing method for the teams outside of (eg) the allowable scouting regions would be quite useful, especially when you miss the playoffs by one spot... Or by allowing additional nations/leagues at the end of each season...

13. My biggest complaint is that if my team is performing well then I have to praise my players ALL THE TIME. its like they cant get enough: its the end of game ritual- go to the first player who got 7.0 or higher and praise him, go to the second player who got 7.0+ and praise him, go to the third player who got 7.0+ and praise him....

Lets not get me wrong, I love the game. I just get annoyed with it when it turns into "Repetition Manager", these repetitive actions could (and should) be able to be automated if not actually eliminated.

Perhaps some sort of scripting system could be implemented (not wanting to turn it into "Coding Manager", btw) to take care of such tasks that take time, are necessary, but dont actually improve gameplay. The possibility of management styling plugins appeals, as do skinning/kitting plugins...

G.

Now that I think it, Lots of stuff would be better served as widgets on the match screen (tactics, subs), or as widgets on other screens: think of being on the tactical setup screen and having a widget that shows positions, another one showing the first team, another one showing the reserve team, being able to dock them to corners, place them in accordions, a lot can be taken from RIA's and their intuitive layouts. The current game is set out like a webpage, not an application.

G.

A game mode where the manager has a total control of the budget:

- the manager can decide to invest money of the team for building a new stadium or for improving the training facilieties and youth academy;

- the board of the team can't sell a player that the manager wants to hold, even if the offers are really good;

- the manager can decide how many coaches, physios, scouts etc. wants to hire, as long as he will respect the limit of the budget, even in lower leagues;

- the manager can send the scouts wherever he wants, even if he's in a team in a lower league, as long as the budget is enough to sustain the expenses of scouts in another side of the world;

Improvements to the game

A game more fast, especially when are selected all the players of the world with DDT, this can be done using the new technologies at 100%: the Quad Core, the RAM that in new computers can be up to 16GB etc.

A game more difficult:

- an improved AI in the transfer market;

- an improved AI in the managers-market, often is possible to see top teams hiring people unknown or that haven't been successful in the last season, while it would be better to see hired by top teams the managers that won something with other top teams or that have reached unexpected results managing squads with low reputation;

- an improved AI in the tactical gesture of the match.

Having now read a bunch of pages, forget what I said earlier, thats all stuff that can be dealt with: here is the ONE single thing that I want:

The Ability to write/use plugins/widgets that can query the game database and output back to it in certain limited ways (define certain areas of the database as FM writable only).... I feel this could be used to give most of the stats guys unlimited reports without unduly bothering the SI coding team, allow additional screens to be added (trophy cases etc) by the fanbase that does not impact on the core game itself, and allow for much automation of repetitive tasks.

edit: having must of the current "screens" such as tactics and scouting et al as widgets/plugins would allow people to customize these functions to be more useful/powerful/useable without changing the underlying code that generates the results themselves.

G.

Ive got a couple of bugbears that have been annoying me for a while :)

G.

Some of the things you mention are already in the game!

3. If I have a 202cm DC with 15 heading and 16 jumping then when I have a corner I want his ass front and center, not hanging back at the center line....

You can already tell him to do this using the player and/or team instructions! Can set up whatever corner routine you like pretty much.

8. When an opposing defender has a yellow, Id like to direct my attack through that player, to pressure him into maybee fouling again and getting sent off, or into backing off to avoid fouling and allowing my attack extra space/time.

You can focus your attack through the part of the pitch the player plays in, and/or you can set his opposite number to run often with the ball.

The AI currently re-signs many players near the end of December, when you would be able to offer them a contract. I'd like an option to be able to tell the player/media/his agent that if he'll just wait a few days, you'll offer him a contract.

And also two new shouts: "Waste time" and "Don't waste time", the former would take your time-wasting slider to the maximum, and the latter would do the opposite.

1. Board Confidence

I would like board confidence to be far more adaptable and considerate of the conditions you as a coach are placed under.

For instance I believe expectations for league performances should be lowered if a key player suffers a long term injury. e.g. Torres out for 9 months.

A line similar to:

"The board are disappointed you only managed to reach a runners up place this season.

They do however understand that this is in part due to the long term injury to Torres."

If half your squad are ruled out through injury then a similar lowering of expectation should take place.

2. Scouting

I would like to scout players via personality type and by position preference.

I want both of these options as search criteria which are selectable.

E.g. I would like to filter out all the model professionals when searching, I would also like to filter out all natural wingers.

Then I'll be left with only natural wingers who are model professional in attitude.

Choosing players to buy whom have the right attitude is essential, it's easy to search for determined players because the attribute for determination is selectable, I understand some of the stats are hidden but just being able to select the 'model professional' or 'born leader' tag players get would be a great help. When I am looking for a player I think of this first and individual characteristics second. Helps to build squad balance.

I think a manager's decisions should carry more long term consequences, just a small example, if he sells a player who achieves a big success at his new club the manager should face heavy criticism from fans and media, likewise if he prove bad in the media there should be scepticism at new signings-maybe the board would appoint a director of football to take over transfer dealings undermining your authority.

It would also be good if you and also players could have a different reputation in different countries, depending on past results etc. I'm pretty sure for example that Zlatan Ibrahimovic is more admired/respected in Italy than in England.

All things like this to make the game world more varied and interesting.

I've got an idea for the editor, with the whole creating/activating leagues and competitions. I know some people have managed to put together some sort of new competitions involving international teams, but they've had to set them up as competitions based in a particular country. Unfortunately, this is not without it's issues. The main problem I've noticed is with the disciplinary rules: say you create a competition for national teams and have to set it up in Zanzibar, and take control of the England national side (who are included in this fictional international competition in Zanzibar) - any suspensions picked up cannot be served as they apply to Zanzibari competitions only, and of course England aren't registered in Zanzibar. Therefore, my suggestion is to be able to create proper international competitions without having to set them up within a single nation somewhere.

Things like job interviews and board room meetings are something extra that could be added.

Eg, when you apply for a job, a few different questions are asked and you state things like your transfer policy, the sort of football you like to play etc, then the board can give you the job based on this or say no, your not the right man?

Board room meetings to discuss various issues, like the current financial state of the club then between the board and you, the manager, decide on how you are going to go about sorting the financial problems out. Or discussing performance issues, where you can request extra funds for an attacking player for example and then you can discuss how much etc etc.

And the board and fans to stop being so disappointed when we lose a round ealrier than they hoped, even though it was against Man u for example. basically, for them to adapt to the situation of the clubs problems, injuries, difficult clubs etc.

The AI currently re-signs many players near the end of December, when you would be able to offer them a contract. I'd like an option to be able to tell the player/media/his agent that if he'll just wait a few days, you'll offer him a contract.

And also two new shouts: "Waste time" and "Don't waste time", the former would take your time-wasting slider to the maximum, and the latter would do the opposite.

The first one would count as tapping up and wouldn't be looked upon well in real life. The real solution to such a problem is for the AI to offer contracts to players it really wants to keep a year in advance or more rather than waiting just before the 6 months.

Loan players being able to tutor your own players. I've got Van der Vaart on loan and I don't think in real life he'd say he wouldn't work help this youngster because he's only on loan. It annoys me because even though I have an agreed price he won't consider signing for me full time so its an aspect of having a player of his quality at the club being wasted.

I agree with the people that want to see more from the media. Media plays a very big role in modern football and just a news Item that I just won the Champions League or Premier League with example Portsmouth or Oxford or whatever low ranked team there is, is not enough.

And players should want to play more games if they dont play enough for an upcoming World cup or a Euro Cup.

I wish SI would issue a FM XML/Class specification.....

Ive spent the last two days trawling forums and search engines for such a document, Ive found lots of helpful bits and pieces but nothing really comprehensive. If anyone knows of where a doc like this is located Id love to hear it.

SI have a VERY good engine here, but making modders lives easier (and attracting an ever larger audience) doesnt appear to be on their priority list :)

I'd like post match news to reflect the game - apparently I commited a remarkable number of fouls - the actual stats - me 14 fouls 3 yellows them 23 fouls 3 yellows, oh and my three bookings related to players who commited 4 fouls in total.

Haven't read all the thread but how about having more sliders on the tactics screen so you can have players playing at different depths on the pitch, like say you have a CF and you don't want him to play up front, but you don't want him to play AM, you could be able to use the slider to have him play a bit deeper on the pitch behind the striker but in front of an attacking midfielder, or have your midfield/defence in a slight ark and not a straight line.

I would like the ability to sort player lists during the match. I can sort outside of the match; and that is great. But I cannot during the match.

For example, I would like to sort by conditioning, to easily see who is tired and needs to be replaced. Or I would like to sort by motivation or morale for my pep talk decisions.

I would like to be able to give half-time pep talk to a player who is being replaced. After I specify a pep talk comment, it is wiped out and the pep-talk control is removed for replaced players who were replaced. After a player has been replaced, I am not able to specify a pep-talk comment.

For example, when a player with low morale has played a great game, but is tired and needs to be replaced, I want to let him know he's done well; for the effect on him, and for the effect on the rest of the team also.

1. As said by almost everyone, more interaction would be very pleasing, to both the press conferences' tediousness and the players. In the recent England camp controversy, there was a big focus from the media on their 'upcoming team meeting' or some sort. I often compare real life football management and the game to get ideas and well, quite obviously this is needed. And from some clubs, I have been advised before to tell my captain to have a 'team meeting'. Shocking I think, since a team is supposed to always be together and I would think (although I have never laid hands on real football management) that they would discuss something together since at club level, players are supposed to understand each other a lot more. Besides that, I totally did not know what to do when "X is worried by disharmony in team" when there is nothing to indicate a potential solution.

Heck, even from our side we could see that the Adebayor in Arsenal's 08/09 season was clearly a disruptive influence. How can I see that in FM? In-house reports should at least be there. The only moment I am given a hint at my team's harmony is pre-match when my Asst. Manager tells me who are struggling to fit in and etc. This is why a team meeting would be beneficial to squad harmony. Even then there should be lots of times where managers and captains get together to discuss an issue, like in-fighting that was leaked. Everytime I go to board confidence and check satisfaction, I always look forward to Squad Harmony the most, simply because I have no clear way of knowing the level of squad harmony there is in my squad. IRL, squad harmony is important but in FM I am not 100% sure.

Plus there are many things to discuss in team meetings, like there is in the Backroom Advice screen, which is frankly a terrific idea that everyone always wanted. Sometimes there are players that 'have trouble in motivating himself' because of either personal issues or your stature as a gaffer. Well, knowing that said person was my star striker, of course I get uneasy. I mean, what the heck am I supposed to do other than praise him or ask him for a recommendation or some sort. The bonds between staff and players are almost non-existent. And for no reason at all there are many times when other managers think they can become friends with me, which sounds completely mad sometimes, considering that the only way we can become friends is by praising each other and once you've resigned you keep in contact with your friend by further praising his squad. I can't say your orange hair looks great or you've got a great build, I can only say you're a great manager. Life is Football Manager it seems. Same issue with players too.

Like how Wenger spoke to and convinced Cesc to stay at Arsenal. Of course if that is applied it should be intricate and should not see a wild sky-high success rate. Parameters like favouritism should be implemented. Besides, it's quite unfair that IRL Villa or Silva or some really top-notch player not at a super top-notch club like Barca are not complaining that they can't speak to Barca but in the game they tell me they're unhappy. There is also the case of Carragher coming out of international retirement after Capello convinced him. In Football Manager that's pretty much unrealistic and not fun either.

2. Another major thing I want is the reinvention, or evolution of MATCH TACTICS, MIND GAMES, etc. Mind games in FM are truly overrated anyway so it's pretty much useless. I have never in my Football Manager life gone on a serious game and used mind games because frankly, nothing happens.

For MATCH TACTICS, I am quite satisfied with things but it definitely is lacking. I don't really like touchline instructions especially because most of the time I have very specific instructions and don't want some AI players doing things I don't even know are specifically done. A model example of this would be a person who is very suited to be, say, a "Complete Forward" but he just can't dribble and isn't strong enough, but the instructions tell him to hold up the ball anyway although he is totally not up for it. That aside, the put-in-the-box tactics are quite frustrating at times. When you see some games, such as the recent 3-2 loss to Slovakia for Italy, Di Natale was playing off Iaquinta for example. I don't know how to put that up on Football Manager simplistically tbh.

And other than that, looking at some other games, you'd see that the defense sometimes almost literally LEANS to the left or to the right, simply to defend against a bigger threat than what the other flank would pose. In FM you can't specify to be more focused defensively on which flank and can just specify how high or deep they will defend. Other than that you tell them whom to mark, which might cause the defense to shift but it wouldn't feel as good because you don't know if your central defenders are going to care because they have their own marking schemes anyway.

Also, as in Barca's 4-3-3, the front 3 are like a triangle I suppose. There are 2 wing players and 1 forward; in Football manager there are just 3 forwards. I don't really know if they're supposed to be wide wingers or anything but putting them at the upper corner really doesn't feel like I'm putting a wing forward that's supposed to support the main forward. This is where the loss of directional arrows really reflects badly. I can't specify how far a wing back is supposed to run. There are many times where a player in the pitch IRL is a midfielder but very often runs to the left to help the left wing. In FM10 I can't tell them anything much other than forward or backwards. Same thing with wingers. Cut inside? Just run and cross? I don't really know. Just go forward, I don't care where you go, even as a manager, I'm just giving you these specific parameters to base your actions upon. I don't care where you go, just go. Really frustrates me sometimes when setting up tactics.

Although the current 'free arrow' that just indicated to either go deep or go forward is fine as it relies on creativity and decision-making, I'd also like to see the old 'movement arrow'. It's very annoying not knowing where my winger is going or which flank my midfielder is going to support when I know specifically that the link up play/crossing on my right wing is excellent and my left not so. I can't really trust a player with poor decision-making whose status is written as 'Playing nervously' in the morale to take the right decisions can I?

If possible give up the boxed positions and introduce 'zonal' positionings. I can't give a very specific instruction such as wanting a triangular-shaped frontline of 3 strikers, or 2 DM's where 1 is leaning to the upper left of his zone and the other is leaning to the bottom right for example, just to nullify threats (i.e this winger likes to drop deep/cut inside so I put them there). This would address many people's wishes and may also be what some people are against but I don't know about the latter, I just know that many people I know and see in forums are in the former category. If possible (since I don't know how hard it is to do that) you could make another type of 'Convert to Classic Formations Setup' button just like the normal 'Convert to Classic Tactics' button but I think in general the zonal positioning idea I suggest would be better for most people.

And then there are some defenders who are better suited at fighting a certain style. i.e this defender is better at marking poachers/target men/advanced playmakers due to their...? In real life this should be a factor because each type of player has a different playing method and a player might have known it naturally/instinctively/studied it extensively but can't handle the other type's style of play because said player's role is to drop deep to allow space for the other striker.

On another note, roles such as the inside-out wingers (Robert Pires) or the false nine are never clearly stated either. It'd be good to include those kinds of roles in the basic tactics menu, although it's more like football knowledge, I don't know either if putting settings for these exact roles would do as good as IRL. The inside-out role, I'd think, would be neglected in FM to be honest but I haven't tested this. For example a left-footed right back can be able to deal with a right-footed left winger because these kind of wingers will look to cut inside more than left-footed left wingers because their dominant foot is at a better position to cross it.

Quoting from Jonathan Wilson of the Guardian,"Wide forwards can be stopped, but it takes a major change for the defending team. Alvaro Arbeloa's marking job on Messi for Liverpool in 2007 shows how effective it can be switching a right-footed full-back to play on the left flank, and Young's slightly stuttering form for Aston Villa earlier this season shows what can happen when full-backs get used to showing a player outside rather than inside." This kind of realistic effect would give FM10 a tactical versatility that would definitely beat any other football management game but pardon me if this does apply to FM10 but I just never tested it.

There are many aspects of the real football world that are missing here. Realistic tactics is one of the main aspects I look forward to in most strategy/management games and I would love a revamp of the positioning system and the 'up/down only arrow' since, as previously stated, it's frustrating not knowing where your players will run to.

To be honest it would be great if the two arrow features from past and present combine, separately or not.

3.Misc. things such as the manager's POLICY for example. Some managers have a policy for the youth academy, or a policy for consistency in matches and etc. For example if you apply to Arsenal now as a manager if Wenger has retired, the view that the board, and especially the fans, will hold would be that of a youth, attacking football and a 'togetherness' policy as Wenger focuses on squad harmony, attractive attacking football and the youth academy + youth players as evidenced by for example getting rid of Adebayor when he was at his most disruptive in 08/09 or his willingness to play young players or his unwillingness to sell players so easily (P.S I would doubt that IRL Wenger would readily sell Jack Wilshere for 12.5 million pounds in 10/11). Clubs like Real Madrid will definitely want an ambitious policy from the manager. If the manager's policy is to build to the future, he will probably not be hired but when it's the ambitious Mourinho who aims to win the CL the third time and with such a reputation, that's a 100% DO WANT for Perez.

Another thing would be Job Interviews. One of the reasons why I don't like being out of contract after a not so illustrious spell is that I won't be able to land a decent job in a decent league simply because there isn't really any job interviews and the AI would probably judge me by my reputation, as evidenced when I played a game just to manage the Ivory Coast in the WC and managed to get them past the 2nd round but failed in the end. Putting that on my CV would DEFINITELY attract at least a L1 club yet when I went on holiday and applied for any club I failed to find one in weeks but for my other manager who won a quadruple with Wolves, leaving and getting a new job would be a piece of cake.

Another might be the board. They're pretty much useless anyway. I wanted to sign Richard Hughes and after selling and getting 180 000 pounds to pump into the wages, at most I could offer 11250/week but he requested 12000/week. Come on, a much bigger player than most of the squad and he just needs A LITTLE MORE MONEY and the board doesn't want to hear this. Also, IT'S JUST A SMALL AMOUNT OF MONEY DIFFERENCE, TAKE A PAYCUT ALREADY, was what I wanted to tell him but he's a NPC. In another light, as said in my tl;dr point 1, it would be great if we could convince him to take a paycut. I doubt you'd see Robinho loaned to Brazil anytime soon. Or any player who requested a large sum of wage, but then decided otherwise after convinced.

Then there's also the departure from a club. I really can't tell the media or my players why I want to resign and no one cares anyway (except for the clubs who want a new manager). X has resigned, officials are refusing to comment. In my memory, even Rafael Benitez left with some words at least. In my memory at least I remember many managers saying something before they resigned, hired or sacked.

Manager profiles also lack interest and creativity, but is a good idea. Should've been developed a lot though since it's very lacking now. To be honest when I was on my first season with Wolves where we struggled, I seriously grew attached to the kind of players there and the club itself in the game yet I can't state that it's a favourite of mine. Of course it'd be hard if a player decides to have 100 favourite clubs so why not put favourite clubs with a limit for example. And to be honest I don't know how a Derby manager can know what team this particular Real Madrid youngster loves.

4. Dug-out point of view for 3D matches. Kinda self-explanatory I guess but I wouldn't mind not having this.

5. Continental Hangovers aren't even half as dangerous as they sound in FM10 than IRL. At first I thought,"Oh dang, maybe it's going to really affect my players." but then I simply destroyed the opposition like any other day with my preferred line-up and the players never get that tired either, in contrast to what real continental hangovers are supposed to do to the players :(

TL;DR, I'd highly appreciate it if this was read.

Archived