Twittergate (aka FM2010 work in progress screenshot)

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Am I the only person who perhaps doubts the appearance of this image on Twittter was "a leak" and somehow "accidental"? What better way to boost talk about the new game (and spend not a penny on advertising to boot) than arrange for a picture to "accidentally" make its way onto Twitter and then "accidentally" be discovered?

Am I the only person who perhaps doubts the appearance of this image on Twittter was "a leak" and somehow "accidental"? What better way to boost talk about the new game (and spend not a penny on advertising to boot) than arrange for a picture to "accidentally" make its way onto Twitter and then "accidentally" be discovered?

As said before, if this was the case, would it not have been easier just to post direct on the forum, rather than post elsewhere and hope someone discovers it.

I think its funny that so many, I suspect Euros, like the white skins. The white skins remind me of Europe. Then I gag. They are horrible.

I'm as much as an UK-phile as anyone but the GUIs that you guys like are just atrocious.

Agreed!

Light skins were a bit of a shock but they're not all bad. The FM08-and-onwards light skins, however, are awful.

From Collins Concise English Dictionary:

irony (n) The humorous or mildly sarcastic use of words to imply the opposite of what they normally mean

sarcasm (n) Mocking or ironic language intended to convey scorn or insult

So it was irony, because the meaning implied was the opposite to the words used. It was only sarcastic if it was meant to convey scorn - I took it as being more light hearted.

English lesson over!

From Collins Concise English Dictionary:

irony (n) The humorous or mildly sarcastic use of words to imply the opposite of what they normally mean

sarcasm (n) Mocking or ironic language intended to convey scorn or insult

So it was irony, because the meaning implied was the opposite to the words used. It was only sarcastic if it was meant to convey scorn - I took it as being more light hearted.

English lesson over!

Well, my bad then. I've only spoken English for three years, and Americans here are always talking about how irony is only when something funny or weird because of a contrast; not in terms of saying something that does not mean what is supposed to mean. I guess people here are even dumber than I thought. Again my fault for not having checked that and believed it.

Well, my bad then. I've only spoken English for three years, and Americans here are always talking about how irony is only when something funny or weird because of a contrast; not in terms of saying something that does not mean what is supposed to mean. I guess people here are even dumber than I thought. Again my fault for not having checked that and believed it.

Actually that is a valid meaning of irony too, just not the only meaning.

By the way, you do pretty well for someone using a second language for just three years - better than i would do.

Anyway, back to twitgate...

How is that an irony? People confuse irony with sarcasm. That was a sarcastic comment, but never an irony. How is that an irony?

Oh well.

people often confuse irony and coincidence

alanis morisette's song irony doesnt actually name a single irony, they are all coincidences! Oh the irony!

There are also acute differences between:

Dramatic or cosmic irony

Verbal irony

Philsophical irony

Socratic irony

Postmodern irony

to name but a few. However, I won't bore you all to death by explaining them all. If you're curious, Google is your friend.

Irony can be redemptive or nihilistic, reflective or manipulative, superior or humble. But it isn't coincidence, despite that being the common perception of it.

Sarcasm is always ironic, but irony largely isn't sarcastic (unless you explicitly want to hurt the victim). Much verbal irony is performed to two audiences, one knowing and one unknowing, and bonds members of the knowing to each other. However, the unknowing aren't necessarily a target for scorn (as with sarcasm), just left in the dark about their foolish ways.

Hence, as playmaker pointed out, the original remark was ironic not sarcastic, as it wasn't intended to hurt the victim, just poke a little harmless fun.

There are also acute differences between:

Dramatic or cosmic irony

Verbal irony

Philsophical irony

Socratic irony

Postmodern irony

to name but a few. However, I won't bore you all to death by explaining them all. If you're curious, Google is your friend.

Irony can be redemptive or nihilistic, reflective or manipulative, superior or humble. But it isn't coincidence, despite that being the common perception of it.

Sarcasm is always ironic, but irony largely isn't sarcastic (unless you explicitly want to hurt the victim). Much verbal irony is performed to two audiences, one knowing and one unknowing, and bonds members of the knowing to each other. However, the unknowing aren't necessarily a target for scorn (as with sarcasm), just left in the dark about their foolish ways.

Hence, as playmaker pointed out, the original remark was ironic not sarcastic, as it wasn't intended to hurt the victim, just poke a little harmless fun.

That was the most boring post I've ever read :D:D

That was the most boring post I've ever read :D:D

Oh the irony.

Just thought I'd get one in.

Anywho's, the more I see this picture, the more I realise that this could be the best skin for some time. Everything just looks 'nicer'. I can not put my finger on it, but I am excited.

Well TBH I dont care about the skin soon after realease will be a better one aviable, but try to dont push out another half finish game that will take 3 extra months after realease to play, please and more important NO MORE BUGS!!!!!

P.S. Can I ask why do you need 15 coach to train 6 or 7 stars when in RL no squad use that number of staff, I hope the "New" game will be a lot clear about potential of staff on what really can do.

Well TBH I dont care about the skin soon after realease will be a better one aviable, but try to dont push out another half finish game that will take 3 extra months after realease to play, please and more important NO MORE BUGS!!!!!

P.S. Can I ask why do you need 15 coach to train 6 or 7 stars when in RL no squad use that number of staff, I hope the "New" game will be a lot clear about potential of staff on what really can do.

Seconded. The pain of last year having taken a day off work to sit and watch a thread waiting for the Mac patch was excruciating. Sorry, but this year I won't be pre-ordering the game no matter how nice it looks, until I know it is at least playable.

I have quick proposition to be part of FM10.

To make several cups in pre-season time, like Peace Cup, Audi Cup, Guadiana Tournament and so on.

It would make pre-season a lot more interesting.

Better off sticking this in the wishlist mate, it can be found in the link at the top of GD.

Nope, but sites such as play.com have an estimate. More announcements about FM10 should come in a couple of weeks :)

Can we now have the definition between estimate and total guess? ;)

Archived