Will you buy Footy Manager 10?

If it has DRM then no. Im just going to buy some other game like i did this year.

Heh, i'd fogotten about DRM. You make a good point. If it has DRM then no, I won't buy it, i'll borrow someone else's disk. DRM needs to die.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a tough question, let me see: after great FM06, I purchased FM07 - decided it was pretty bad and quickly sold it, after final patch bought it again. :D Was still playing day and night this great game when FM08 was released. Didn't but this one but borrowed from my mate, gave it a try and felt FM07 was still better back then. Next, got a tad bored and bought FM09 when it came, didn't like it after first, second and third patch, sold later on. Now, still playing FM2007. :D

Yes, I'm gonna buy FM2010 - to have it at least for a while... ;)

My policy on DRM is that if a company is going to treat me like a criminal for spending my money on their game, then I might as well say f you back to them and not buy it.

DRM is an absolute travesty and it should have never been allowed in the first place. Hopefully SI have taken stock of all the negative reactions over DRM and particularly the limited number installs that have been made heard in the last year.

I certainly won't be pre-ordering it as both 08 and 09 have been craptacular bugfests until the last patch has been released.

My policy on DRM is that if a company is going to treat me like a criminal for spending my money on their game, then I might as well say f you back to them and not buy it.

DRM is an absolute travesty and it should have never been allowed in the first place. Hopefully SI have taken stock of all the negative reactions over DRM and particularly the limited number installs that have been made heard in the last year.

I certainly won't be pre-ordering it as both 08 and 09 have been craptacular bugfests until the last patch has been released.

I didn't buy 09 until the second patch was released. I doubt I'll be buying 10 until the third patch unless there a far fewer 'teething' problems. I will buy it eventually I guess, although to be honest it's now taking me so long to get through a season I doubt I'll have achieved my career game objectives even by this time next year. Which makes waiting for 11 more of a sensible idea as it gives a full release for SI to fix the bugs present in 09 and make a start on fixing the ones for 10.

Of course I will. I'm an FM addict thanks to those guys at SI. :rolleyes:

I have moaned a little bit about FM09, which is the first time I have felt the need to do that in the whole series. But at the end of the day, I'm a huge fan of the game and the work that SI put into it. I feel sure that FM10 will improve because SI do listen to their fans.

Plus, I hope that there will be a really awesome dot mode in FM10. :D

C.

It's naive to buy (or indeed, not to buy) the game without trying the demo IMO. The last two versions have been let downs for me- I bought 08 on eBay on the cheap and barely played it, and 09 is nowhere near as good as 07.

We need to be careful not to have sky high expectations for the new game, otherwise we WILL be let down.

But I guarantee you that it will be better than anything Eidos can make.

Without a second thought.

Same here. I still love the feel I get when I draw against a weaker team, to then use the need for revenge to crush the same or a better team in a more important match. ( damn you Carew!)

I just hope that the need for patches will be fulfilled faster next time.

Most definitely, Football manager is by far the best game I have ever played in my life. I really mean that too. I have an Xbox 360 with loads of great games and a high Gamer score but none of these games have ever had me hooked like CM and FM.

FM is the only game i can play now as im reaching the top end of my 30`s and my reactions arn`t as quick as they used to be:(

I have been playing football management games since 1982 and cannot see me quitting them anytime in the near future, even though i only play an average of 8 hrs per week due to family commitments but i have a weeks holiday coming up soon and the wife and the kids are going to my parents in Sydney (im in Brissie) so i am in for a few seasons then :)

I will definetly be buying this years version......keep up the good work SI.

definetly, i usually preorder as soon as possible

btw i might buy FMH10 if i get a PSP, what are current versions like? never seen it

Think 01/02 ish era Championship Manager, but with improvements to substance without sacrificing the speed.

Apparently now borrowing a game equates to piracy.

And the gaming industry wonders why it gets bad press.

So fine. I wont buy the game if it has drm, and i won't borrow it either.

It always has been piracy. Even borrowing a DVD from a mate is seen, by law, as piracy, and illegal.

You're asking the government to change the law - it's not going to happen.

Surely I'll get it, they should get rid of the 3D engine again though. It uses an enormous amount of hard disk space without being usefull (I can actually tell you I haven't even tried it out once yet, 2D + text forever!). If I recall correctly FM08 was around 1GB, FM09 is over 2GB. Sure, this still isn't a lot compared to a bunch of next-gen games, but still...

Furtermore there are enough things I really would like to see improved / changed. For instance the interaction with your board, fans and staff. I just now had one thing I'm really fed up with: being unable to hire enough coaches. I just joined MK Dons and fired a few coaches so I was the only 1st team coach left. Hired an assistant, a 1st team coach and upon signing a 4th coach: rejected by the board of directors, they won't allow more than 3 coaches. When I joined there actually were 4... At the Board-screen you can send in some requests, but you can't ask to enlarge your space for staff members; crap!

Alltogether I aint disappointed by FM09 though, quite a bunch of new features, even though some aren't really usefull yet, they have the potential to become a vital part of the game.

It always has been piracy. Even borrowing a DVD from a mate is seen, by law, as piracy, and illegal.

You're asking the government to change the law - it's not going to happen.

So, borrowing a game to see if it works and if you like it is discouraged actively.

That is by far the dumbest infraction ever handed out. Well fine, i just won't buy it, i won't borrow it and i won't support SI if that is their attitude. Its patheticness in its purest form.

thats two infractions ive gotten for absolutely nothing based under the excuse of "piracy".

So, borrowing a game to see if it works and if you like it is discouraged actively.

That is by far the dumbest infraction ever handed out. Well fine, i just won't buy it, i won't borrow it and i won't support SI if that is their attitude. Its patheticness in its purest form.

thats two infractions ive gotten for absolutely nothing based under the excuse of "piracy".

Theres a demo released every year to see if it works.

You said you will use a friends disc to play the game. When someone buys the game they buy it for their use. Having someone else play the game without paying SI for it means that SI lose money and sale numbers. That is piracy.

Maybe, after your first infraction, you should have learnt to keep quiet?

Well unless the demo comes with DRM or copy protection, its no good for seeing if it works, is it now?

You assume i wouldn't buy the game if i like it?

Do you not realise how inconvenient it is not to have your own copy?

That shows a lack of forethought on your part, and it also highlights the problem. They expect everyone who wants to play their game to steal it, and they use that excuse to justify their crappy DRM and copy protection systems.

At what point did I say I would continue to play the game without buying a copy? I said i wouldn't buy it, because as of now, I am 70% sure that is what im going to do. I didn't say I would steal it, that is not something I do with games, because I want my own proper copy.

I merely want to try it because FM games have a history of using copy protection that prevents the dvd from even being read (that happened on 07, i had to buy a new drive just for FM), 08 wouldn't let me install on one of my computers because i 'was using a backup copy', and 09 wouldn't activate for 3 days. So why shouldn't we be allowed to try it first?

Well unless the demo comes with DRM or copy protection, its no good for seeing if it works, is it now?

You assume i wouldn't buy the game if i like it?

Do you not realise how inconvenient it is not to have your own copy?

That shows a lack of forethought on your part, and it also highlights the problem. They expect everyone who wants to play their game to steal it, and they use that excuse to justify their crappy DRM and copy protection systems.

At what point did I say I would continue to play the game without buying a copy? I said i wouldn't buy it, because as of now, I am 70% sure that is what im going to do. I didn't say I would steal it, that is not something I do with games, because I want my own proper copy.

I merely want to try it because FM games have a history of using copy protection that prevents the dvd from even being read (that happened on 07, i had to buy a new drive just for FM), 08 wouldn't let me install on one of my computers because i 'was using a backup copy', and 09 wouldn't activate for 3 days. So why shouldn't we be allowed to try it first?

The demo doesn't have DRM on it - you can try the game out before release. That is the point of a demo, after all. The demo is released to anyone who wants it, and it is the demo that should be used to try out the game, not someone elses disc.

Considering you don't need to insert the disc to play FM anymore I would suggest that, in fact, it isn't that inconvinient.

One of the reasons DRM was introduced was because, for FM08, there were pirated copies avalible before the game had hit the shelves. SI and SEGA, understandably, needed to prevent this, so did what the majority of PC games are doing now.

5 install limits between two people isn't inconvenient then?

Again, how does playing the demo ensure that the game will install and activate correctly? it doesn't, so your last post didn't really achieve anything.

All your last post did there was reinforce the one you replied to.

we should draw a line under this. We're not going to agree, and I certainly don't agree with the law's definition of 'piracy' and why that is illegal yet its perfectly legal for you to pay full whack for a 'limited use' title or for software that installs harmful rootkits onto your computer (not, SI, obviously). This is an argument we all went thru when 09 was released. There's no need to rehash it.

I will definitely be getting FM10 and any future versions (have bought most previous versions):).Love the game despite the DRM

Out of interest - why do people still play FM07?

i am already looking forward to fm10.

Well from as far as i can tell the fm 07 ME was very good and i particularly loved it because there were some really cheap and amazing young players like Guardado who was still at Atlas, Pato who was at Internacional, Nicholas Millan at Colo Colo, and more.

Once the summer transfer season starts up, players are moving, each team is improving... the FM bug will start iching again, FM (while it comes out way too late in my opinion) will be need, and definitely FM 10, which will be a major improvement over 09

it's probably the most fun FM. it has features that were great but for some reason got dropped from later versions and it's quicker. it's also a bit easier.

i'm not sure if i'll get FM2010. FM07 still hasn't really been bettered and i've been enjoying a long career save on it. i'll try the demo and get a feel for the game

I'd definitely buy FM 2010. Gotta be my favorite game on the PC and there is always something new in their most years. I don't like playing outdated versions either.

5 install limits between two people isn't inconvenient then?

It's actually 5 install limits between one person, not two. If a second person wants the game, he or she must buy their own copy.

I definately will be buying FM10, every year i say to my wife, Nah that's it, i've had enough, the features are boring, i never win anything with my crappy transfer dealings, it's definately fixed..... but each year as the adverts come out, more new features are released and the buzz starts to build, i say to my Wife, hey i could try it i suppose, it might be better this year.... and so the cycle continues, i love FM no matter how many rants i have, how much i give the finger to my PC, i will always return! It's in my blood, with this type of game you can never say never again, and i won't! I've had arguements with my Wife, missed appointments, slept in and stayed up till the early hours, i wouldn't change a thing.... except maybe who i sign in future!!!!

Archived