Will you buy Footy Manager 10?

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Then you've missed the point. Why should peoplw who buy the game be inconvenienced by a broken, invasive and restrictive system?

Why should you pay full price for a game that you can't sell on if you don't like it?

You can sell FM09 when you have had enough of it, use the deactivation url to deactivate the game and the purchaser has the 5 installs back, provided you haven't installed or bought it through steam. (Unless their is a way of removing it from your Steam account)

Shops have rarely accepted PC Games as trade ins even before DRM (under the guise then of assuming you have copied the game), there's nothing from a technical point of view stopping the game from being sold, whether a shop will accpet a trade in is upto them, but it can still be sold on ebay, play, amazon etc...

EDIT: A quick internet search and game and gamestation don't do second hand PC games, buy cex are willing to buy FM09 for £13 (They'll even buy FML, not sure how that works).

Shops have rarely accepted PC Games as trade ins even before DRM (under the guise then of assuming you have copied the game), there's nothing from a technical point of view stopping the game from being sold, whether a shop will accpet a trade in is upto them, but it can still be sold on ebay, play, amazon etc...

EDIT: A quick internet search and game and gamestation don't do second hand PC games, buy cex are willing to buy FM09 for £13 (They'll even buy FML, not sure how that works).

Game do not accept trades on PC games ever since Half-Life 2 and the advent of Steam accounts.

GameStation do accept trades on PC games -just walk into your local store and see - but do not accept trades on games that have limited installs or linked accounts (ie, FM09, HL2 etc..).

DRM restricts second hand sales not piracy. SI know this and every other developer know this. The fact you've found someone that will trade FM09 is borderline miraculous and i'll maybe look into that.

On the contrary, I bought a second hand copy of FM2008 just last week:confused:

Game do not accept trades on PC games ever since Half-Life 2 and the advent of Steam accounts.

GameStation do accept trades on PC games -just walk into your local store and see - but do not accept trades on games that have limited installs or linked accounts (ie, FM09, HL2 etc..).

DRM restricts second hand sales not piracy. SI know this and every other developer know this. The fact you've found someone that will trade FM09 is borderline miraculous and i'll maybe look into that.

Game (and EB before they merged or one bought the other) weren't doing PC Trade Ins way before Steam ever existed, don't think they even used to do Amiga trade-ins.

I didn't know that Gamestation did PC Trade-Ins their website makes no mention of Used PC Games (And the PC Section in my local store is a small shelf crammed into the far back corner of the store) but as they are now owened by Game I doubt that'll last. I've never really found trading games in at Game all that useful, they just rip you off and then sell the game for close to the price of the new copies. I prefer to sell my games through play or amazon as you can actually get decent money for them sometimes.

SI/Sega have no problem with people selling FM09 second hand, from the Activation Q+A Thread:

How will this affect second-hand games?

This will not affect second-hand games, you can go to the deactivation URL and remove all previous activations, the game will then be as if you had purchased new. The retail outlets are aware of the protection being used and are comfortable with it, there will be no blacklisting etc.

No, probably not.

It's not because 09 was disappointing or anything, it's just that I'm still playing 07. I haven't managed to finish more than one season on 09. It has more to do with what I've done with one 07 save than anything else...

Quite disappointed with aspects like - your centre half suddenly stops running thus allowing the striker who was on screen two inches behind your player to overtake and score and the fact that the text frequently bares no relationship to what's on screen.

people who say they wont buy the game after the shambles at the start of this game are also they people who swore blind last year they wouldnt buy it.

such a pointless thread when most people will buy it because the curious side of people will get the better of them and will want to see what the new game is like, and be the first ones in the line outside the shop on the day of its release(myself included).

How hasn't it impacted me?

I couldn't;

A) Play the game at launch when I bought it

B) Trade it when I found out I didn't like it all that much after the first two patches (consequently I still don't like it after the third).

I'm sorry but I don't buy games I can't get rid of. For the record btw, if it wasn't for pre-owned markets I wouldn't buy alot of games that I buy today so in the long term it can be healthy for a developers finances.

There is nothing juvenile complaining about things that annoy you. Is it juvenile to complain about fuel prices? Tax increases?

Why would it be juvenile to complain about a system that impacts upon your rights as a consumer? I'd even argue DRM is borderline unlawful (maybe i'm going to extremes though ;)).

A: If you think waiting 24 hours to use a product, i.e. game, because of the unfortunate scenario that was an "attack" upon servers was a justification to ditch DRM, you need to re-align your perspective upon life - that's not subjective, it's frankly a fact.

24 hours is nothing, in the grand scheme of things it is far from horrific.

B:

The secondary market for PC games is limited - very limited. People seem to think that media companies, especially the developers are charities. "Because I want it, I must get it". I don't approve of limiting the consumer; it is economically an irrational decision to do so - however, intrinsically, treating consumers like criminals works. Those with the juvenile tastes of anarchy in your mouth might think of many reasons against such a treasonist comment - however let us plainly use the iTunes store as an example. Recently touting it's one BILLIONth download, of which at least 10% will have been fee paying sales, it is essentially proof that DRM works, why? Because essentially no one has complained about it. If you own an iPhone or iPod touch you will know what I mean - it is one of the most limiting systems on the planet - but it works. People accept it, and don't think simply because they are the end user their demands must be met.

This is some strange fallacy that media users need to get over. There is this perception within the industry that just because something is available, it should be readily attainable. Businesses are designed to make a profit - it is the nature of industry and life. If you have a problem with that, you are happy to meet with Mr. Lenin or Marx and discuss policy and approach, though my only comment to such would be "good luck".

DRM works because at the end of the day firms maximise sales and thus profits, providing them with sufficient funding to develop and move forward. It's a petty A-Level argument. Fundamentally, if you respect what SI have created in the past, you should have no problem stepping over a close to non-existent barrier that does not influence essentially all consumers.

FM is the only game I preorder every single year as early as I can from game.co.uk :thup:

I start looking forward to the new FM when the summer transfer window opens, especially since Man City got so rich. Sit there thinking "yes, that's a good signing but they could have gotten player X or Y as they were excellent for me". "Just wait till I get my hands on City in FM10 I'll show them how to make world-class signings!" :D

I'll still pre order it without a doubt.

But......I just don't play it like I used to do. I barely managed 3 seasons before boredom sets in. It's not my age (38) as many people older than I still play the game.

Maybe it's the fact I like going on my PS3 as it's more fun and at least I can play on that with my kids but also I play FML so that also takes up valuable time that could of been spent on FM.

I think it must of been on of the earlier CM games when they first came out that I spent the most amount of time on at least over 20 seasons career.

I still love FM as there is no football management game on the market that can compare to it so even if FM10 got just 3 seasons play I'd rather do that than bother with it's rivals.

Of course. Probably on the day of release (or day before if the shops let me!), but if not, then certainly within the first week. The only difference between now and the past where I'd always make sure I had it on release day is that i've grown up and have bigger priorities now.

Are there some additions I don't like? Sure. The press conferences do get boring, but guess what? I can just tell my Ass Man to deal with them. If they were improved on, I'd probably only send him along to the ones I really couldn't be bothered with.

Will I try the demo first? Yes. Not out of any sort of lack of faith in SI, but rather because I'm too impatient to wait for the full release.

A: If you think waiting 24 hours to use a product, i.e. game, because of the unfortunate scenario that was an "attack" upon servers was a justification to ditch DRM, you need to re-align your perspective upon life - that's not subjective, it's frankly a fact.

24 hours is nothing, in the grand scheme of things it is far from horrific.

Hmm, I bought a game on release and couldn't play it. It took me approximately 18 hours or so to be able to play the game i'd already bought. This is a problem to me. It could've been worse and thankfully it wasn't. But this "attack" was essentially customers trying to play their legitimately bought game.

B:

The secondary market for PC games is limited - very limited.

But the Xbox360 and PS3 markets aren't. I wanted to trade FM09 in towards BioShock on the 360.

People seem to think that media companies, especially the developers are charities. "Because I want it, I must get it". I don't approve of limiting the consumer; it is economically an irrational decision to do so - however, intrinsically, treating consumers like criminals works.

And while this attitude exists they won't get my money, that's really my whole point.

Those with the juvenile tastes of anarchy in your mouth might think of many reasons against such a treasonist comment - however let us plainly use the iTunes store as an example. Recently touting it's one BILLIONth download, of which at least 10% will have been fee paying sales, it is essentially proof that DRM works, why? Because essentially no one has complained about it.

If you own an iPhone or iPod touch you will know what I mean - it is one of the most limiting systems on the planet - but it works. People accept it, and don't think simply because they are the end user their demands must be met.

Hate to burst your little bubble but this is hardly new news, with iTunes "making almost its entire catalogue free of digital rights management (DRM) protection". (source).

To say nobody has complained about iTunes' DRM is frankly absurd. This was written almost 3 years ago.

This is some strange fallacy that media users need to get over. There is this perception within the industry that just because something is available, it should be readily attainable. Businesses are designed to make a profit - it is the nature of industry and life. If you have a problem with that, you are happy to meet with Mr. Lenin or Marx and discuss policy and approach, though my only comment to such would be "good luck".

Another funemental approach to business is not to annoy your user base, the people that fund your next project. This isn't a dig aimed solely at SI but at the PC software market in general. People are getting hacked off with the constant "security" measures being put in place. Why am I restricted, I was one of the people that bought the f'ing product! DRM essentially issues pirates a challenge "Come and circumvent our never before seen DRM protection."

Check out a torrent site, I bet you there are quite a few for FM09. Now that these pirates have cracked it once they'll have it nailed for FM10, not that it will stop SI/SEGA using their pointless DRM system, further shafting people like me that bought their product in the first place.

DRM works because at the end of the day firms maximise sales and thus profits, providing them with sufficient funding to develop and move forward.

Well hopefully when enough people make a stand they won't "maximise sales and thus profits".

It's a petty A-Level argument. Fundamentally, if you respect what SI have created in the past, you should have no problem stepping over a close to non-existent barrier that does not influence essentially all consumers.

I don't even know what to say to that. I'd say it's a pretty clear barrier. I do have a problem stepping over it because it shouldn't be there. It protects nothing. It's like putting a 6 foot electrified fence directly in front of my front door. Burglars would just smash a window if they wanted to get in. My friends and family would have to walk to the rear of my house. Completely logical if you ask me.

In conclusion, my analogy sucks but my point stands firm imo.

I'll inevitably get it, have done repeatedly since 1997 when I was 9 :). I have to say though, the makers are getting VERY lazy with new content. The match engine is very impressive, but unfinished. They need to fix that with the next instalment, and add some new features that actually have an affect on the game. Press Conferences are insultingly poorly executed. I know I'm not in the minority. Just look at what the critics have said.

It's actually 5 install limits between one person

This kind of junk shows that the game is wobbling on the verge of some really bad priorities, but as it stands just now FM10 will be a definate purchase for me.

However I think FM10 is going to speak volumes about whether or not it is worth shelling out for yearly installments of this game in the future. 3-D was a complete gimmick, steam is little more than a virus sponsored by game companies, and this new Tactical Wizard sounds like the common ailment of development schizophrenia which always produces inferior gameplay.

I will buy FM10 without hesitation, but I have a feeling it will be my last. There are only so many resources that can be devoted towards gaining new customers before the game implodes.

I will be buying FM10, just not until its finished. ;)

As for the current release, hey, I played Empire: Total Fail for less than 3 hrs and that's still a total mess. Despite all its faults, I put hundreds of hours into FM2009 and it only cost me twenty notes. :thup:

I will probably not buy FM10. Not because FM09 is bad (I enjoy it enough to lose precious ZZZzzz-time) but because I don't think FM10 will be enough of a change compared to FM09 to warrant the full-price expense and I'll probably be playing FM09 on and off for a good while to come. And I'm not bothered by databases which are not up to date, so that's no reason to upgrade either.

FM12, perhaps FM11, will be my next upgrade if FM is still a genre I'm still enjoying.

I think ill be hovering around the forums around release date and study the reaction to it first. 08 and 09 have dented my faith in a game being released that is at least half playable, and although they were both patched with success, the frustration of buying an unplayable (or uninstallable) game is something i cannot put across.

although i am a long time fan of the series, there is only so much loyal customers can take, and remember the majority of us are buying this game year on year! The slowness of 09 needs to be tackled too, not everyone has super fast machines, it is only a text based game afterall

I'll buy FM10 if it's optimised in some way so that it doesn't take as long as it does now to play a season. Whether that comes in the way of faster processing or by simply cutting out some of the guff in between games that is not really needed.

Either way, if it still takes over an hour to get through only two actual matches on FM10 then I will not be buying it I'm afraid. It's a great game, but I just get bored waiting to actualyl play matches at the moment.

Archived