Will you buy Footy Manager 10?

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I honestly don't know. I've been unhappy with 09, certainly. If CM proves to be good when it (finally) appears then I probably won't. I'll also be interested to see what other people think of FM10 on the forum before shelling out for it.

My policy on DRM is that if a company is going to treat me like a criminal for spending my money on their game, then I might as well say f you back to them and not buy it.

DRM is an absolute travesty and it should have never been allowed in the first place. Hopefully SI have taken stock of all the negative reactions over DRM and particularly the limited number installs that have been made heard in the last year.

I certainly won't be pre-ordering it as both 08 and 09 have been craptacular bugfests until the last patch has been released.

Its not that bad, it only takes about 10 seconds!!!

The good thing about FM is fact that there's always demand for it on the market, thus it's easily soldable if you don't like it. I'll be definitely preordering it, cost of purchasing new version here in November is about £16. Two months later you can sell it used for about £12 so it's not any big loss, at least for me worth trying to get sucked into the game. ;) So it's up to the quality and enjoyment if the game stays or if it goes, for now I'm pretty excited and waiting anxiously.

Didn't have ANY problems with the new activation system myself, the problem is some people got the game for free before it was in the shops, anyway. So it bugged customers who paid for it and didn't stop anybody who wanted to get it without their money involved.

Or perhaps I missed something, were there any stats (posted by Sega, SI, whoever) how it influenced the number of copies sold/downloaded illegally?

The problem is not when the system works properly, its when it doesn't work properly, which, has happened in nearly every game that DRM has been used on.

The servers went down and were attacked, which meant a lot of people couldn't play the game when they bought it.

Some stores sold it a day early, meaning the people that bought it then, couldn't play it for an extra day.

People couldn't read the activation code.

People were getting vague 'activation failed' messages for no apparent reason.

People were getting 'activation limit reached' messages on brand new disks.

Compatability problems between the activation software and hardware meant that it wouldn't launch the game.

Some people's drives were unable to read the dvd.

People who own netbooks were unable to install and activate the game because not every netbook comes with a dvd drive.

People who had to reformat couldn't get their activation back (initially, this was fixed later on).

People who successfully activated would suddenly find after a while of playing that they had become deactiviated, and they could not reactivate the game.

You pay between £20 and £30 for a game you are effectively renting, because you can only install it on so many times. At some point, the activation server will be taken off line, regardless of what PR Miles did, they always get taken offline eventually.

SI/Sega did nothing about people who trade this game in, causing people who bought it second hand (those filthy pirates!) to waste their money on a game they couldn't actually play.

I must admit I am struggling to get into my 09 game. For some reason i can't seem to get into this game. Unlike others I don't necessarily think that there is any one thing thatg I don't like about this version, I actually thin that some of the features added to the game I just can't get into it.

In saying that though, I may not be playing FM09 but I'm not playing any other manager games either. So I'll be buying FM10 and hopefully after having an unexpected 'year off' i'll be hungrier and want to play the game even more.

DRM is stupid and not to break forums rules (I hope) but FM09 has already been cracked and by the looks of things, works illegally even with DRM. The only people that lose out from DRm are paying cusomerz, as pirates can just work around it. Iput up with DRMfor 09 (and Spore) but i'm not gonna pay for something that treats me like a criminal when the real criminals aren't even affected.

Just to clarify, I DID buy FM09 legally from a store

yes, but I wish for more flexibility by the board regarding finances, staffing, facility improvements, etc. In this version the board seem like authoritarian dictators, more than any other version, especially in the lower divisions. i.e. wage budget should include all staff, not just players. If I want to hire 4 coaches and have fewer players, then the Board should allow it. The same for scouts and the like. If all wages for players and personnel aren't combined, then at least allow me a certain wage budget for EACH of the areas. i.e. players 4,500/wk and staff, 250/wk. Make sense?

I probably will, but knowing that SI are unable to release a stable release version of FM I am going to force myself to wait till February when they release the playable version.

I did this for the very first time this year- normally Id even take a day off to play, but after the last couple of releases I was happy to wait 3 months to play it.

Wish Id skipped this release as the final patch for FM09 will obviously be FM10- things like clubs like Man U and Arsenal fielding teams of 38 yr olds is unforgivable, and should not be in a game after 2 patches.

In my game the Big 4 have all been relegated- kinda destroys the realism.

I must admit I am struggling to get into my 09 game. For some reason i can't seem to get into this game. Unlike others I don't necessarily think that there is any one thing thatg I don't like about this version, I actually thin that some of the features added to the game I just can't get into it.

In saying that though, I may not be playing FM09 but I'm not playing any other manager games either. So I'll be buying FM10 and hopefully after having an unexpected 'year off' i'll be hungrier and want to play the game even more.

I agree with all of this. For some reason or another, which I can't quite put my finger on, I haven't been able to get into FM09 at all.

No I won't buy FM10...

I shall instruct my butler to go and purchase it on my behalf. ;)

Can't be seen to perform such menial tasks as shopping now can I, me being the 13th Earl of Wimbourne and all...

This may seem like a bit of a rant about the thread and all others similar but everyday there is someone asking which is the best? 09 Isn't good enough. Will you buy 10? At the end of the day if you don't like it don't play it and if aint buying so what. 09 is the best management game ever and once 10 comes out that will be better. I know I'm gonna get moaned at for people expressing their opinion but this is mine. I will be buying 10 because there isn't another management game that could rival the depth and the realism of FM.

End of rant.

This may seem like a bit of a rant about the thread and all others similar but everyday there is someone asking which is the best? 09 Isn't good enough. Will you buy 10? At the end of the day if you don't like it don't play it and if aint buying so what. 09 is the best management game ever and once 10 comes out that will be better. I know I'm gonna get moaned at for people expressing their opinion but this is mine. I will be buying 10 because there isn't another management game that could rival the depth and the realism of FM.

End of rant.

No, sadly there isn't. One day...

I'm going to buy it, but I will also be looking at some of the others next season. I've enjoyed playing the game particularly in season 1 & 2, maybe stretching to a third, but there just isn't the same long-term factor - for me - that used to be there. Can't help but feel that EA are going to pull their finger out soon when it comes to management games and then we'll actually benefit more because FM will have some competition.

When a game doesn't have competition we tend not to get as good an offering as we should really, Fifa in the tailing end of the 90's, the last couple of boxing games from EA etc. But yea, me and a mate of mine have both decided between us we're gonna give a few a bash next year see what is looking best.

Before anyone gets riled up, its all my own opinion, and in no way am I trying to infer it as a matter of fact.

I probably will, but knowing that SI are unable to release a stable release version of FM I am going to force myself to wait till February when they release the playable version.

That's funny... I've been playing 09 since the day it came out, without a single crash, which by definition makes it playable and stable... hmmm

Guess I must have dreamt it :confused:

That's funny... I've been playing 09 since the day it came out, without a single crash, which by definition makes it playable and stable... hmmm

Guess I must have dreamt it :confused:

Come on, you must have been aware of all the problems there have been. If it was such a perfect game, why did it need 3 patches? :D

It didn't need 3 patches. IMO, the first two patches made the game go backwards and the third just seemed to restore some stuff to release level and tweak a few others. Could have been done in patch 1, but a lot of people (myself included on occasion) can't accept a player doing x instead of y, or missing an interception, etc. IMHO, too many people were too quick to scream 'Bug!' just because an iffy CB failed to close down 100% of the time and regardless of anything else that was going on.

As for FM10... Right now, I'd say I won't be buying this year. I'm still enjoying my tussle with 09. But of course I'll get sucked back in by the demo, and the announced features, and the ad campaign. It's happened before, and will happen again.

The problem is not when the system works properly, its when it doesn't work properly, which, has happened in nearly every game that DRM has been used on.

The servers went down and were attacked, which meant a lot of people couldn't play the game when they bought it.

Some stores sold it a day early, meaning the people that bought it then, couldn't play it for an extra day.

People couldn't read the activation code.

People were getting vague 'activation failed' messages for no apparent reason.

People were getting 'activation limit reached' messages on brand new disks.

Compatability problems between the activation software and hardware meant that it wouldn't launch the game.

Some people's drives were unable to read the dvd.

People who own netbooks were unable to install and activate the game because not every netbook comes with a dvd drive.

People who had to reformat couldn't get their activation back (initially, this was fixed later on).

People who successfully activated would suddenly find after a while of playing that they had become deactiviated, and they could not reactivate the game.

You pay between £20 and £30 for a game you are effectively renting, because you can only install it on so many times. At some point, the activation server will be taken off line, regardless of what PR Miles did, they always get taken offline eventually.

SI/Sega did nothing about people who trade this game in, causing people who bought it second hand (those filthy pirates!) to waste their money on a game they couldn't actually play.

Whilst I dislike DRM (one of the reasons I haven't bought any EA games recently) some of your points are wrong.

People who own netbooks without cd/dvd drives have a better chance to play the retail version of FM09 (not digital download version) than previous version of FM (or even the free download of CM01/02), if you have another computer you can map the DVD drive to the netbook and install the game over your network and activate and play as normal, the Securom copy protection on the old titles won't let you do this.

If you bought the game second hand you can use the deactivation url to regain your full activations.

have to say its a big ... NO NO i think fm2009 was a real joke

i dont no anyone that will buy this game again

you only have to look at how many of the big name users that are no longer in this fourm

there is going to be a big move to the new CM2009 this year when it comes out in july

fm is dead and because SI just dont lisen .... so good bye fm you have lost the plot

If CM2009 is ever released...

It will be interesting to see what state it's in when it's released to see whether a future FM delay would be a good idea or not.

(Despite the moaning on the forums FM09 is still the #1 selling PC game in the UK, so some people must like it)

I think you are in the minority mate.

not at all, a vast majority of users hope the press conference expand in the next edition to make them more usefull. So in saying that, no doubt, you are in the minority.

Oh and yes I will be buying it as soon as it is advertised for pre-release

I usually see by the demo - if there's something decent to see, I will.

FM09 needed a 4thpatch me thinks. Its great that SI release patches - but the game shouldn't really nee dto be patched that much. They rush it into the boxes, they know people will always buy and then fix the bugs later. Its been a half arsed fix up this year.

My policy on DRM is that if a company is going to treat me like a criminal for spending my money on their game, then I might as well say f you back to them and not buy it.

DRM is an absolute travesty and it should have never been allowed in the first place. Hopefully SI have taken stock of all the negative reactions over DRM and particularly the limited number installs that have been made heard in the last year.

I certainly won't be pre-ordering it as both 08 and 09 have been craptacular bugfests until the last patch has been released.

If you work as a programmer you understand why companies are reinforcing DRM on their products. At the end of the day you want to be paid for the effort you put on your work.

It's like if you have a store and people just get stuff from it without paying you. What do you do? You put cameras and beeping machine. Then "are they treating us like criminals too"?

have to say its a big ... NO NO i think fm2009 was a real joke

i dont no anyone that will buy this game again

you only have to look at how many of the big name users that are no longer in this fourm

there is going to be a big move to the new CM2009 this year when it comes out in july

fm is dead and because SI just dont lisen .... so good bye fm you have lost the plot

I hardly understand how people can get excited at a game that it has always been inferior to FM by only looking at few screen shots; the game has been put on hold and I am in the opinion that it will never see the light.

IF it will be out, it will be another big disappointment, as the BGS guys simply don't have the experience necessary to fight against SI. All Eidos can do is live on the reputation that the SI boys created on the brand name (sorry for the rant on a game that is not FM, but I really hate the "Championship Manager - experience counts" logo that EIDOS is using).

FM is the best football management game EVER, and it will always be. I'm looking forward to buy FM10, as FM09 is keeping me busy since release date (I've now played more than 10 seasons between 2 saves)...

If they remove the silly DRM and i like the demo i may buy , after all recent DRM developments have left me with a very big budget for games .

I bought a game from an online store last week ( evochron renegates) , they gave me 2 keys i unlocked the program and that was it , SEGA can be as smart as they want but not with my money .

About the "X game will always be better" i have to say this : Bethesda was tops for making free roam RPGs until they released their jewel Oblivion who was far inferior from the previous one (Morrowind) and it's main features was beaten by a small Polish developer (CDProject Red - The Witcher) and a Turkish couple ( Taleworlds - Mount & Blade) .

Nope, I've simply grown out of it and don't have the time. If I'd have imagined myself saying this five years ago I would have shot myself.

I'm confused about all this determination surrounding DRM to make sure developers are getting paid. It's all wrong - it's like a record company employing in-house artists to produce all the music they market and sell. No real product is ever being sold, unlike a when a team of independent developers sell their product to a larger company for a % or flat fee. That is the true value of the product. Why then do we pay a premium on each physical instance (copy) manufactured from a single investment, when it costs the manufacturing agency so little to produce? I'm sure none of this would have been an issue if any of these companies had seen the upcoming effect technology would have on the ability of the consumer to produce 1:1 copies of any recorded material. Instead of maximising profits by using simple manufacturing techniques to produce inexpensive media that can be simply copied, create a format that makes this impractical (size+cost). Rimmer may just be right.

Nope, I'm still confused.

Yep, buy it every year... I'm sure some of you saying a clear no now, once the good old hype machine starts rolling, new features, and all this yearly circus... Most of you will end up getting it anyway :)

If you work as a programmer you understand why companies are reinforcing DRM on their products. At the end of the day you want to be paid for the effort you put on your work.

It's like if you have a store and people just get stuff from it without paying you. What do you do? You put cameras and beeping machine. Then "are they treating us like criminals too"?

Utter rubbish and explains nothing. Why can't they just go back to asking us to look up certain pages in the manual? would work just as effectively and not hamper the paying customer's experience.

Archived