• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

35 minutes ago, Overmars said:

Please remove this from the match engine:

1. Corner taker takes the corner.
  2. Defense heads it clear.
  3. Offensive player passes immediately back to the corner taker.
  4. Corner taker is whistled for offside.

At the very least, please remove it from the "key highlights."

I agree and vouch for this. They said they fix it but players still some what frequently pass to off side option after taking corner

7 hours ago, moriartysb28 said:

Do negative numbers like -9, -10 mean anything other than the PA range?

No, they just represent the PA range from which the player PA will be drawn when you start a game. You can see how it all works if you play around in the (free) pre-game editor. 

Apparently, in this winter patch, which is supposed to be final and perhaps by the end of this week it will be shown, there are supposed to be improvements to the match engine. We'll see how true that is. The movement of players in the defensive game, positioning in relation to the opponent and the field where the ball is should be fixed, if not, then a bit poorly with this version and I will wait for FM25 and FM24 will go to the showcase for a few months, because so far this version does not convince me to play

35 minutes ago, RDF Tactics said:

How much do you trust, or rely, on match ratings in Football Manager?

And does it affect your decisions? Example, 2-1 up, do you take off the CM that’s playing a 6.6?

Speak for yourself when my defender has a 7.7 rating after allowing 4 goals I think it's working fine! :P

3 saat önce, NineCloudNine said:

No, they just represent the PA range from which the player PA will be drawn when you start a game. You can see how it all works if you play around in the (free) pre-game editor. 

I use pre-game editor but I don't know PA details. Thank you guys 

13 minutes ago, CrowManager said:

Speak for yourself when my defender has a 7.7 rating after allowing 4 goals I think it's working fine! :P

:lol: It's so difficult to put into context, probably too difficult than it should be.

Match ratings are another thing I really want SI to look at. Things get a bit non-sensical and it's difficult for you as a manager to make certain decisions. It shouldn't be a thing people ignore because they don't fully believe in it.

Your in-game analyst can/should be helping you put things into context, too. Not exactly telling you what to do, but bringing things to your attention.

It seems everyone focuses on match fitness when making subs, which is okay. But you might sell someone based on their avg rating thinking they've been bad but they haven't, really. And vice versa, might sign someone based on a high rating but it could just be that they're doing something that has a big weight on the ME.

1 hour ago, RDF Tactics said:

And does it affect your decisions? Example, 2-1 up, do you take off the CM that’s playing a 6.6?

If it's my holding mid then I don't take him out unless he is 6.4 or below because I know his job is to stand still and recycle the ball. Not to make assists or create chances, score goals etc

That being said I do take out most tired players first

I make subs in 60th min, 65th, 70th and after 80th if need be.

There is a study that says subs that 15 mins at least before making some sort of impact IRL in Prem so that's what I am basing my logic on.

1 hour ago, RDF Tactics said:

If i’m 2-1 up late game.. Hell, i would even take my cm off when he has a 8.5 if he’s spent 😂 Cm is a vital position within my tactic so i can’t afford to have someone without any lungs running around and lose the midfield battle when protecting a narrow lead.

But then again it’s totally dependant upon the match situation. If i’m 2-1 up and all i’m doing is camping in the opposition half, and my cm is getting a 8.5 while being spent i could also leave him on, because he doesn’t need as much fitness when we’re camping, but then his match rating might suggest he could be the one playing that key pass in the end because he’s doing well. 

So yeah, very much match dependant 🤷🏻‍♂️

Edited by Kevinho7

On 23/02/2024 at 20:01, -Jef- said:

Undisputed? You're joking right? Game came out completely unplayable that it's probably the only game I've requested a refund for. Clunky controls, graphics are underwhelming, missing boxers etc.

I'm not specifically talking about the state of the games at launch, I am moreso referring to the constant social media posts about what they are doing, updates etc. Whether the game is good or not is another matter completely. 

**EDIT**

Having read through some of the comments since my original post regarding dev communication from Hell Let Loose and Undisputed, maybe I was wrong on the Undisputed front. I don't actually own that game (do own and regularly play HLL) I was just basing the communication side on what I am constantly seeing on X (or Twitter as I will forever know it as). Seems like they post a lot of promises that they don't actually follow through on, which is exactly what I don't want SI to do. So yeah, scrap that, I would rather zero communication than false promises. 

Edited by Jonthedon26

5 minutes ago, Jonthedon26 said:

I'm not specifically talking about the state of the games at launch, I am moreso referring to the constant social media posts about what they are doing, updates etc. Whether the game is good or not is another matter completely. 

Yeah. I'd rather have radio silence and actually a game that I enjoy and have been enjoying for 20 years and will probably enjoy until I drop dead or FM stops existing.

24 minutes ago, -Jef- said:

There is a study that says subs that 15 mins at least before making some sort of impact IRL in Prem so that's what I am basing my logic on.

A player in FM needs 15 mins to get a rating and I believe that this is the threshold for the minutes contributing to development and playing time happiness.

19 hours ago, Litmanen 10 said:

Decided to watch a game of football for the first time in about 5 months as Betis and Athletic are the two teams I like the most in Spain. 

What FM still lacks is the impression of lack of time and space and battling for possession that are practically all the time present in real life.

This also is what separates FM from real football as this affects to so many things in the game in general (turnovers, pass competition, fouls, cards etc). 

This is also a thing that I used to talk about a lot when I was one of the beta testers. It's especially evident when you look at short delivery from keepers where you basically get a free path to the midfield as defending sides are not able to mark away passing options or block passing lanes like they do in real life. 

I think the battling for possession was a nice upgrade in FM23 with the chaos factor. Not sure if it's still present in FM24 or if I've just become used to it.

2 hours ago, RDF Tactics said:

The real question is "Do you trust the numbers in FM, have you ever verified them ?"

1 saat önce, kevaggel said:

The real question is "Do you trust the numbers in FM, have you ever verified them ?"

Definitely. For example, is there a difference between the fact that the pass is 18 and the 12? Or finishing? Especially mental features, I'm not sure of them at all.

2 hours ago, NineCloudNine said:

A player in FM needs 15 mins to get a rating and I believe that this is the threshold for the minutes contributing to development and playing time happiness.

Yes, I know that. But I don't pay too much attention to FM mechanics. I try to play as realistic as I can with the knowledge of the football world that I have (played for u19 for professional team, close family member is ex-pro with experience in european comps and is a high ranking official in a professional club and I play 6-a-side with ex-pros and futsal pros weekly). My ex youth coach had some input (without him knowing) in me creating my training schedules :D

Edited by -Jef-

37 minutes ago, moriartysb28 said:

Definitely. For example, is there a difference between the fact that the pass is 18 and the 12? Or finishing? Especially mental features, I'm not sure of them at all.

Not attributes (anyway technical and mental are always lower during matches compared to the values in profile) but statistics.
If you see that player A has attempted 50 passes is that number 'real' ?

50 minutes ago, kevaggel said:

Not attributes (anyway technical and mental are always lower during matches compared to the values in profile) but statistics.
If you see that player A has attempted 50 passes is that number 'real' ?

A bit like this. One page says Felix played 7 key passes. But other pages said he only played 3. Other player's key passes doing the same thing.

It is another thing I've reported and questioned. Some of the data in game is off. Some places are incorrect. Some shouldn't have such high/low numbers. Really difficult to get an answer for this stuff :lol: so just left thinking it's 7 key passes. Or 3. You choose haha

Screenshot_2024-02-23_091627.webp.a2d503f5b4a355246099f80a247f62d4.webp

Screenshot_2024-02-23_091742.png?ex=65ead7f3&is=65d862f3&hm=71278a68c5cc1ed08f9e40656da05b1003517b923451de9945ab6ade1810bd7d&=&format=webp&quality=lossless&width=898&height=468

Screenshot_2024-02-23_091657.png?ex=65ead7f3&is=65d862f3&hm=ecfb7bdfc26b9f0b230e9280b77f2a8dbf51c44e6c62c9a7ab91379d62c3074d&=&format=webp&quality=lossless&width=821&height=468

Edited by RDF Tactics

5 hours ago, RDF Tactics said:

I usually go by if that 6.6 is coupled with a bunch of poor passes or bad highlights. A 6.6 alone isn't enough to pull someone off - they might get a "I think you can do better" at halftime talk though.

Also if they made a mistake and got down to 6.2 or something and came back up to 6.6 then obviously its just one error pulling them down. So the journey to 6.6 matters to me.

11 hours ago, Rumi_4 said:

Apparently, in this winter patch, which is supposed to be final and perhaps by the end of this week it will be shown, there are supposed to be improvements to the match engine. We'll see how true that is. The movement of players in the defensive game, positioning in relation to the opponent and the field where the ball is should be fixed, if not, then a bit poorly with this version and I will wait for FM25 and FM24 will go to the showcase for a few months, because so far this version does not convince me to play

I loved it at first, seeing the new positional stuff, but now 600 hours in I’m finding it absolutely horrendous. I’ve literally just lost a game 3-2 (usual AI comeback) where all goals were from throw ins and corners. It’s awful.

There’s so much to fix, if they are even bothering. If not, I too am done with it until 25. 

We have no real idea what's been involved in the move to Unity, but it has to be a mammoth task. I hope they haven't bitten off more than they can chew, I'd happily accept UI changes and polishing of existing game mechanics and AI improvements for this next version. I want to see as smooth a transition as possible and because it's a chance for a clean slate, it would be kind of soul destroying to see bugs and creaky game mechanics just carried over. I'm at about 25% of my usual game hours for this version and that's not because it's terrible but mainly because I'm just frustrated with the same or similar issues appearing and "fatigue and low morale...." have set in. Time to give myself a team talk.... :lol:

13 hours ago, RDF Tactics said:

Back to your original question...
I trust what i see during the match, if i am happy with the player (positioning, runs, mistakes, etc.) i 'll keep him otherwise i 'll sub him.

I don't even know how the avg. rating is calculated or what exactly is showing during a match (i see a 'jump' in the end of halftime and fulltime, making me wondering ... why)

And avg. rating is very important since it's affecting player value, development, morale...

1 hour ago, moriartysb28 said:

Has anyone had success with a different lineup or formation (not studied)  in every match? Or is stable formation the only secret to success? 

stable formations give the best balance. BUT, an asymmetric tactic can be deadly.

I don't think asymmetric tactics are great for general use. They are particularly dangerous when it's suited for your team as you can then take advantage of certain strengths you have in that team.

For example, you may have two types of wingers. One Inside Forward type and one playmaker type. You may have the IF as an IFa (AML) and the playmaker winger as a WP (MR). In this, you can hope to build more on the right side and leave your IF isolated to exploit gaps and spaces.

2 hours ago, moriartysb28 said:

Has anyone had success with a different lineup or formation (not studied)  in every match? Or is stable formation the only secret to success? 

35 minutes ago, RDF Tactics said:

stable formations give the best balance. BUT, an asymmetric tactic can be deadly.

I don't think asymmetric tactics are great for general use. They are particularly dangerous when it's suited for your team as you can then take advantage of certain strengths you have in that team.

For example, you may have two types of wingers. One Inside Forward type and one playmaker type. You may have the IF as an IFa (AML) and the playmaker winger as a WP (MR). In this, you can hope to build more on the right side and leave your IF isolated to exploit gaps and spaces.

This isn't a finished tactic, just posting for an example (might actually try it out).

Raum is a fantastic crosser. Simakan a way better defensive full back. So the idea here would be that Raum gets forward quicker and an outlet. Simakan and the HB are sort of filling the spaces that can be exploited but also Simakan role allows him to stay deep and will be involved a lot in possession - an intention to build on the right and leave Raum in space.

image.png.867abaf54faf39dc727e07f553bf1f62.png

2 hours ago, moriartysb28 said:

BustTheNet (on this forum as Rashidi) does a lot of work on this in his "Bring your tactic" stream. It pretty much debunks the myth that all tactics MUST be learnt and familiar,  I think it does help, but you can change from game to game and it not be that detrimental to the team. 

If its a good, well balanced system, then it'll work without knowledge -  but knowledge will likely help!

8 minutes ago, Cultured Left Foot said:

BustTheNet (on this forum as Rashidi) does a lot of work on this in his "Bring your tactic" stream. It pretty much debunks the myth that all tactics MUST be learnt and familiar,  I think it does help, but you can change from game to game and it not be that detrimental to the team. 

If its a good, well balanced system, then it'll work without knowledge -  but knowledge will likely help!

I've misunderstood the question :lol::lol:

Now I have to try and connect it and make it relatable haha so yeah, you can change from game to game but a familiar system will also increase your chances. But you can always change from game to game to try and take advantage of a certain strength of yours or a certain weakness of the opposition.

So that funky formation I posted, that can be a solution vs a team with a weak right side. Or if you know they'll be using aggressive roles on their right, so you can try counter that space on your left. Doesn't mean it'll work against all teams so you can make little tweaks/changes like that from game to game

*edit* I just beat Bayern 3-0 using this LOL Gnabry 6.0. Mazraoui 6.2. Their right side had a terrible game.

Looking at the pass map, we our idea with wing backs was clear as day. Our RCM doing well in shifting to the right to make sure we keep our presence on that side.

Oh. And Raum assist 

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.1c4853a36beed7b727afc7a435302f02.png

Spoiler

image.png.8becdc4d7769c73631e0ac922236cf25.png

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.77966b67c8c63124a5ac6aa21cc1e320.png

Edited by RDF Tactics

30 dakika önce, RDF Tactics said:

I've misunderstood the question :lol::lol:

Now I have to try and connect it and make it relatable haha so yeah, you can change from game to game but a familiar system will also increase your chances. But you can always change from game to game to try and take advantage of a certain strength of yours or a certain weakness of the opposition.

So that funky formation I posted, that can be a solution vs a team with a weak right side. Or if you know they'll be using aggressive roles on their right, so you can try counter that space on your left. Doesn't mean it'll work against all teams so you can make little tweaks/changes like that from game to game

*edit* I just beat Bayern 3-0 using this LOL Gnabry 6.0. Mazraoui 6.2. Their right side had a terrible game.

Looking at the pass map, we our idea with wing backs was clear as day. Our RCM doing well in shifting to the right to make sure we keep our presence on that side.

Oh. And Raum assist 

Hide contents

image.thumb.png.1c4853a36beed7b727afc7a435302f02.png

Hide contents

image.png.8becdc4d7769c73631e0ac922236cf25.png

Hide contents

image.thumb.png.77966b67c8c63124a5ac6aa21cc1e320.png

You mean, for example, the team is working 4231 ready tactics and learned. But for the next match, I put the team into 532 formation and the team did not work. Can we say that the team does not work in training, it will fail? 

46 minutes ago, moriartysb28 said:

You mean, for example, the team is working 4231 ready tactics and learned. But for the next match, I put the team into 532 formation and the team did not work. Can we say that the team does not work in training, it will fail? 

While playing different tactical systems for each game hoping to counter some perceived weakness might be fun, there are always going to be challenges.

- Every formation already has multiple ways to play, you can play a 442 as a 424 or a 325 depending on how you set up roles and duties. The same applies to a 4231 which can morph into a 2-3 build out or a 3-2 buildout from the back. My advice for less experienced players is to master one formation first. Learn how you can make small tweaks to it and change how it builds out and how it attacks on the counter. This is going to be way better than changing systems for each and every match.

- If you want to change tactical systems in each and every game, you just need to  ensure players are familiar with the position you want them to play in and this is fairly easy to find out. All a players needs is positional familiarity.  There are some players who have attributes that allow them to play in different positions and in different roles, however, if they have never played in a position before they could make mistakes.

Changing systems doesn't mean it will fail, consider that a challenge for yourself, how good are you as  a player? Can you change systems for each and every game? I wouldn't recommend it unless you are familiar with all the nuances of the game.

On 26/02/2024 at 10:24, Kevinho7 said:

If i’m 2-1 up late game.. Hell, i would even take my cm off when he has a 8.5 if he’s spent 😂 Cm is a vital position within my tactic so i can’t afford to have someone without any lungs running around and lose the midfield battle when protecting a narrow lead.

But then again it’s totally dependant upon the match situation. If i’m 2-1 up and all i’m doing is camping in the opposition half, and my cm is getting a 8.5 while being spent i could also leave him on, because he doesn’t need as much fitness when we’re camping, but then his match rating might suggest he could be the one playing that key pass in the end because he’s doing well. 

So yeah, very much match dependant 🤷🏻‍♂️

Which poses a very important question: does ‘Condition’ even have any clear visual indication of slowing down? because to me it’s not very clear or I can’t say I’ve seen a player appear to show physical tiredness, I.e unable to reach top speed/acceleration.

To me, I only believe condition indicates their risk of injury.

This is even more compounded by the fact that a lot of people are finding extreme success with consistent high pressing tactics. 

2 minutes ago, alian62 said:

Prob Friday

I don't believe any form of update has ever gone out on a Friday before, in case something were to go wrong such as crashes/people being unable to load the game etc. Could be wrong though

6 hours ago, moriartysb28 said:

I played a sequence of 3 games with Chelsea the last few days that I used 3 different base formations. So you don't need peak familiarity to do well.

Game 1 I used a 4-3-3 with a high intense press winning 4-0. Maybe a bit lucky as I forced 3 errors from Brighton as they built out of the back.

Game 2 a 5-2-2-1 or 3-4-2-1 and drew 2-2 away against Newcastle (who's leading the league) where I sat back and countered. Should have won this one but for a injury time goal.

Game 3 a 4-2-3-1 and won 4-0 again with 3 of the goals coming while using a low block/LOE and cautious mentality. Went up 1-0 after 25 mins and survived a 20 min fightback before halftime where I was perhaps lucky to not concede an equalizer. I was actually behind on xG. 2nd half though was pure dominance after the mentality/LOE switch. No shots allowed ended up being 3-1 in xG.

All morphed into a 3-2-5 in some way in attack. I find the 3-2 to be the most stable unless you're expected to dominate and need an extra body in midfield to break down a low block or have world class CB's that have some pace.

Also consider what roles you're expecting to make up the 3-2 or 2-3 and the tempo you're playing. Doing a 3-2 with two IWB and a HB requires time to set up in possession due to how far each player has to move to get into position. Playing fast and direct would result in your players running in and out of their starting position and never really settle. I try to minimize how many "moving parts" I have in a tactic if the goal is to play fast and direct.

3 hours ago, kiingallen said:

Which poses a very important question: does ‘Condition’ even have any clear visual indication of slowing down? because to me it’s not very clear or I can’t say I’ve seen a player appear to show physical tiredness, I.e unable to reach top speed/acceleration.

To me, I only believe condition indicates their risk of injury.

This is even more compounded by the fact that a lot of people are finding extreme success with consistent high pressing tactics. 

Maybe its my own narrative but I've seen tired/fatigued players be a little looser in possession (poor touches/bad passes) or lose their mark a little easier (not tracking back/not in the right position). If I get a few highlights of a tired player in those scenarios I usually sub them off unless they're having a storming game or don't have a good replacement.

15 hours ago, moriartysb28 said:

I rarely play a stable eleven. In fact the rare time I do I get feedback from the players saying happy we are playing the same eleven. I am very successful at the game.

Il 24/2/2024 in 16:59 , RDF Tactics ha scritto:

Because this has never happened to Man City? Because I've certainly seen it happen - ironically against Aston Villa, too. I'm Aston Villa, who are currently 4th and just 4 points behind City might I add.

In the same season, I played City and LFC away from home and these were the results. Not even a shot on target at Anfield. It's fine you chose not to play the game from one month ago and counting (I will still be playing lol), but here you're complaining about nothing. You won't like it if I used an over-aggressive tactic, and now you're complaining that, in a video that explains pre-match preparation by analysing weaknesses and negating opposition strengths, I beat Man City.

This place can be a confusing place when reading lol.

image.png.9ec634fb80d1ed7807eded9434148d37.pngimage.thumb.png.0d67509cdc5124e483e95f9620306297.png

I saw what City and De Bruyne and Haaland did to poor Luton, but if you are happy to play against a City that seems a Luton you're right, that's your game

8 hours ago, steve.bs69 said:

I saw what City and De Bruyne and Haaland did to poor Luton, but if you are happy to play against a City that seems a Luton you're right, that's your game

What? lol 

and it’s getting passed silly people running straight after a match irl to try and prove a point here.