Football Manager 2024 Official Feedback Thread

26 minutes ago, Mars_Blackmon said:

After looking around at numerous staff in the editor, a lot of the attributes and other details are vanilla. I would guess that most of our issues might be data issues. I haven't done a deep dive, but whenever I check out a random manager, their directness is low (which could be influencing the high pass % and the team's willingness to pass it in the back).

Many details available to align the staff with their real-life counterparts are not utilized, especially for board members. For example, many of the tendencies available would probably make hiring managers better if they were used.

One noticeable thing is that many managers have a low attribute for rotating players, and I also noticed an inconsistency, which may or may not be a problem. A manager would have "will use sub" as a tendency with an attribute, but when you look at the tab that lists all attributes, "Use of subs" is always 0.

Also, "versatility" is always 0 for most managers outside the most known guys, and even their attribute is low. I don't know what it does, but that brings up another point: is there a source that defines all of these options inside the editor? Maybe it is tied to the manager's starting games with their other formations, IDK.

Nice work that's some very interesting finds. Esp about the subs etc. 

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Domoboy23 said:

Decided to load up an older FM23 game in which I was Birmingham. Really good save as we didn't have much firepower, best players were defenders (and even then probably L1 standard) and really had to grind and be cautious and try get lucky with point/s. We actually ended up finishing like 16th before anyone has a pop :D . But I found a save from the midway point in the season. Below we can see the results from the FM23 engine:

FM23: 41 goals from 21 games - 1.95 GPG.

image.png.f4528069f43b531ba53455165fc71e9b.png

FM24 (same tactic):  45 goals from 12 games - 3.75GPG

image.png.83a7d3ac37e2bbfb4c936b41df375ca4.png

Then just also to show how the same fixtures played out on FM23:

28 goals from 14 games GPG: 2.00

image.png.51e20885f1e879c0166684ec99dc2230.png

The FM24 average is far closer to the actual real world total of 3.26 in the premier league so far this season.

An average of 2 per game is far, far too low.

So actually you are just wrong in saying there are far too many goals and seemingly just want a boring stale ME that plays out Serie A in the 90's.

43 minutes ago, janesy20 said:

The predictability of being 3 goals ahead most games and ending up drawing/losing in the last 15minutes of games is absolutely painful, there is literally nothing you can do to stop it either, go defensive, waste time, slow pace down...whatever it just doesn't work. Games unplayable at the minute and wish I never bought it.

My team IRL seems to be up 2-0 up most times this season before we end up drawing/losing games. :D

11 hours ago, harrycarrie said:

During the beta (not checked since) 10& of all my shots over a season were hitting the woodwork. I was averaging about 550-600 shots. So about 55 to 60 shots over 38 matches were woodwork. Pushing around 100 across all competitions. Around 1.5 to 2 shots on average per match 

Hitting the woodwork constantly has been an issue for years and years in FM, I remember I posted a detailed analysis comparing my FM save and real life many moons ago... never heard anything from SI, and the exact same issue persists. It's broken and has been for years.

6 hours ago, janrzm said:

Like I said last year. That time was spent on "graphical" features that are invisible in the game actually beggars belief.  I think they see them as cheap wins, padding. I would have taken a fix to any single historical issue in the game over this. 

Yes but think about the inclusivity!

(When was the last time anyone saw an IRL manager with face paint?!)

34 minutes ago, kiwityke1983 said:

Italy has a charity weekend where all the players and managers etc wear facepaint. It's a very specific inclusivity though.

Interesting, I genuinely didn't know that.

I'd still much rather they fixed the mess that is the Oceania Champions League, which has been completely broken since as early as FM10, than have the option for face paint which I will literally never see once I move past the manager creation screen.

Edited by rjferguson90

On 06/11/2023 at 16:56, Consiglieri said:

I played every version of CM/FM from the first edition, and I have to say, that I have never enjoyed the game more, then with this release! 
The biggest problem has always been ME for me, But this year, WOW its the biggest improvement ever on that front!!!! 

Plz SI Keep up the GOOD work that you are doing right now, I can´t wait to see the new graphics engine next year!!!!  

Would you say it’s worth starting a long term save with the current bugs that have been found? Also are you playing the beta or actual released version? Thanks in advance

Edited by Brad0026

vor einer Stunde schrieb kiwityke1983:

The FM24 average is far closer to the actual real world total of 3.26 in the premier league so far this season.

So actually you are just wrong in saying there are far too many goals and seemingly just want a boring stale ME that plays out Serie A in the 90's.

Stop making up numbers:
Premier League 23/24: 3.03 Goals per match https://footystats.org/england/premier-league
Premier League 22/23: 2.85 Goals per match

Championship 23/24: 2.73 Goals per match https://footystats.org/england/championship

Championship 22/23: 2.42 Goals per match

2 minutes ago, w3t said:

Stop making up numbers:
Premier League 23/24: 3.03 Goals per match https://footystats.org/england/premier-league
Premier League 22/23: 2.85 Goals per match

Championship 23/24: 2.73 Goals per match https://footystats.org/england/championship

Championship 22/23: 2.42 Goals per match

I took the numbers directly from the premier League website...either way 3.75 is closer to reality than 2.

So learn to interpret numbers I guess!

1 minute ago, kiwityke1983 said:

It's fine.

Beyond interactions being worse than ever, but even those you can slog through without too much hassle.

What do u mean with the interactions? And thank you. Been a bit unsure with all the bugs whether it’s as realistic or not. 

vor 5 Minuten schrieb kiwityke1983:

I took the numbers directly from the premier League website...either way 3.75 is closer to reality than 2.

So learn to interpret numbers I guess!

3.75 is not closer to 2.73 and 2.43 the season before to 2.0. The OP gave FM stats for CHAMPIONSHIP not PREMIER LEAGUE.

Edited by w3t

Just now, w3t said:

3.75 is not closer to 2.73 and 2.43 the season before to 2.0. The OG gave FM stats for CHAMPIONSHIP not PREMIER LEAGUE.

Well that's my mistake.

My point still stands that FM23 had far too few goals at 2.

I don't get why so many people on here hate goals and every year whinge until we get an unrealistically low level of goals scored.

4 minutes ago, Brad0026 said:

What do u mean with the interactions? And thank you. Been a bit unsure with all the bugs whether it’s as realistic or not. 

There are major issues with squads constantly complaining about squad depth, player refusing to agree to targets, team meetings still are an absolute lottery when it comes to squad reaction... in short, it's better to avoid interactions as a whole when possible, and if the squad do start complaining about something inane like your goalkeeper depth, then good luck because it will likely derail your entire season.

6 minutes ago, Brad0026 said:

Players love to whinge even more than the average FM feedback thread contributor.

Sell your 8th choice centre-back who is nowhere near the first team expect a massive squad revolt about a lack of squad depth, or don't because it seems entirely random as to whether they get annoyed or not.

It defies all logic even more than prior years.

vor 2 Minuten schrieb kiwityke1983:

Well that's my mistake.

My point still stands that FM23 had far too few goals at 2.

I don't get why so many people on here hate goals and every year whinge until we get an unrealistically low level of goals scored.

He already said he played a defensive tactic. Of course goals are gonna be lower than average then. I just strive for reality because you can't calibrate for everyone's taste of how many goals is "nice".

28 minutes ago, kiwityke1983 said:

Players love to whinge even more than the average FM feedback thread contributor.

Sell your 8th choice centre-back who is nowhere near the first team expect a massive squad revolt about a lack of squad depth, or don't because it seems entirely random as to whether they get annoyed or not.

28 minutes ago, kiwityke1983 said:

Like most modern day players then in terms of whinging 😂

50 minutes ago, w3t said:

He already said he played a defensive tactic. Of course goals are gonna be lower than average then. I just strive for reality because you can't calibrate for everyone's taste of how many goals is "nice".

2 per game is still low so not IMO that realistic.

This is the problem with taking statistics they can be twisted to suit your narrative.

Oh he's playing defensive football so getting almost a whole goal per game less is normal.

Yet getting a whole goal per game too many makes the game unplayable.

Depends on what side of the fence you are sitting.

hace 1 hora, w3t dijo:

I just strive for reality because you can't calibrate for everyone's taste of how many goals is "nice".

And what is "reality"?  2.4 goals/game like in the championship last season? or 3.0 like the prem this season? or 2.0 like the Spanish second division last season? Perhaps it's 3.6 like Bundesliga this season?

I'm from Argentina. Maybe we should do it like our third division, with 1.9 goals per game!

Edited by TokyoWanderer

3 hours ago, janesy20 said:

The predictability of being 3 goals ahead most games and ending up drawing/losing in the last 15minutes of games is absolutely painful, there is literally nothing you can do to stop it either, go defensive, waste time, slow pace down...whatever it just doesn't work. Games unplayable at the minute and wish I never bought it.

After a scary amount of hours played, I haven’t once lost a three goal lead. 

1 hour ago, Colonel Tigh said:

After a scary amount of hours played, I haven’t once lost a three goal lead. 

I mean it happened in FM23 when my side wasn't very good, but not once we got good. Main difference porting the game across to FM24 from FM23 is I have scored more goals. In a 33 game season I was getting 80-90 goals a season finishing on top, since i have ported the game I have got 116 and 100 in each season respectively. Admittedly last season I got 99 goals before porting to FM24.

Other sides scoring more though, a striker got a scarely believable 55 goals in 35 games (my league has finals), previous record was 44, but usually rare to average more than a goal a game. That same team in 33 games scored 93 and conceded 77!

You feel it also in the lower leagues in a new start FM23 save.

34 matches: 33 wins  1 draw / 151-39 goals (30 scored from set pieces / GD +112 / 5.59 per match) / 100points (all a new record LOW according to the game as i had no former record to compare)

My first season half GK had 9 clean sheets - the second season half GK had 3 clean sheets (i was in a no contract league).

Visually quite pleasing matches...

And i miss so much a Light Skin as the Dark Skins tires my eyes with no mercy and i need to switch away every few minutes to look at something else to have my eyes recover an enable me to move on in FM.

I can look at a FM Light Skin for 48 hours with no problem - i can look 48 minutes at a Dark Skin and need hours of rest after that...

Dark Skin exclusitivity will eventually prevent me from buying any further version of FM - that is not a childish tantrum: I mean that in all seriousness!

Edited by Etebaer

I don't know what to say if patch doesn't come today.. they should have been more open about this change in patching this year. It might be beneficial later on for the game but it's extremely frustrating times for a player..

Edited by Pasonen
Frustrated..

15 minutes ago, Pasonen said:

I don't know what to say if patch doesn't come today.. they should have been more open about this change in patching this year. It might be beneficial later on for the game but it's extremely frustrating times for a player.

Will they just release the patch when it's ready or will they announce it a few days in advance?

7 hours ago, janesy20 said:

Interestingly I did not experience this once during Early Access, other than in the Champions League vs a team I shouldn’t have been 3-0 up against. However my last game I was 3-0 up in 20 minutes, it was 3-3 by 70 minutes, all their goals in the second half and I just managed to sneak a win in the final minute of the game.

During that spell where they scored 3, genuinely felt like there was nothing I could do to stop them. I’m Salzburg so best team in the league by far.

The ME may not have changed in the full release but something has.

Edited by craiigman

7 hours ago, janesy20 said:

Going Defensive is a big change and is probably the opposite of what you want to do

Time wasting is useful but allowing a team to put the pressure on you, when they're most likely trying to mount a comeback is asking for it :thup:

4 minutes ago, Johnny Ace said:

Going Defensive is a big change and is probably the opposite of what you want to do

Time wasting is useful but allowing a team to put the pressure on you, when they're most likely trying to mount a comeback is asking for it :thup:

sure but it happens ALL the time irl with (usually) underdog teams defending their leads in the last 20 mins. low defending does NOT automatically mean conceding.

Hello, I have a problem with FM24. I am coach of Austria and when I have to make my group for international matches the group is made by itself. It's not me who makes the group and I looked at the responsibilities of the staff, yet it's me who is responsible for that. Has anyone ever had this problem?

Edited by XaW
Cleaned up the formatting

3 minutes ago, StephenG said:

sure but it happens ALL the time irl with (usually) underdog teams defending their leads in the last 20 mins. low defending does NOT automatically mean conceding.

Not happening to me at all. Taking a 3-0 lead and going defensive (when youre naturally a positive team) and wasting time is a recipe for disaster brother. Sounds like a tactics issue. 

if im up 3-0 first half, I dont change nothing, keep the foot on their necks they’re obviously not reacting well to that. 

I only “time waste” with a lead in the 85’ and if I go “defensive” it means I go balanced. Nothing else. 

2 minutes ago, Dadecane said:

Not happening to me at all. Taking a 3-0 lead and going defensive (when youre naturally a positive team) and wasting time is a recipe for disaster brother. Sounds like a tactics issue. 

if im up 3-0 first half, I dont change nothing, keep the foot on their necks they’re obviously not reacting well to that. 

I only “time waste” with a lead in the 85’ and if I go “defensive” it means I go balanced. Nothing else. 

i do the same. i think the issue here is that irl you can go defensive and not concede. in FM, good luck to you.

Just now, StephenG said:

i do the same. i think the issue here is that irl you can go defensive and not concede. in FM, good luck to you.

I dont know tho. Most games IRL where a team takes a 2-0, 3-0 lead and goes defensive too early in the game, it usually results in a comeback. Underdog teams suffer from this often, they go defensive too early and panic. 

look at it this way; if youre up 3-0 it means youre being fairly dominant, due to the score the other team is likely to go attack, if u sit back and defend youre allowing them to make it 3-1, maybe 3-2, and get in trouble. But if you keep attacking them, they may get 1 on you, but due to pushing up desperately, youll have spaces and probably score again too. Before you know it its 4-1, late in the game, thats when u time waste and go defensive 😉 

just my advice; usually works for me

I don't think that most teams that have an 2-0, 3-0 go defensive because the manager tells them so.

IRL it's more of a mentality issue of player becoming more cautious to contain the result, not a direct result of a manager instruction..

Just now, andu1 said:

I don't think that most teams that have an 2-0, 3-0 go defensive because the manager tells them so.

IRL it's more of a mentality issue of player becoming more cautious to contain the result, not a direct result of a manager instruction..

Yeah for sure, they naturally start taking less risks, playing more conservative etc. if u add to that an actual instruction to “sit back defend, let them have the ball” it means youre gonna concede. Specially if theres a whole half of football left. 

rule of thumb: only play to defend a lead if youre a small small underdog team, or if its last 10 mins of the game. Thats it. Otherwise, keep doing what youre doing and the game probably runs its course with no more goals, or u each score one more thats it. Minute 80; defense and time waste. 

12 hours ago, tcoleman1 said:

Thank you for that. I will probably consider waiting until I start my main Chelsea save.

Out of interest do you know (or anyone know) if the real world option will update after the January update? 

I love to play the game in it's most complete state but used to hate having the players move 6 months before they actually do as it depletes the realism!

I'm also waiting on the ME updates before starting a save

That's an interesting question so what you are asking I think is....Post winter FM24 transfer window update and follow SI release of the Winter data update, if starting the game from scratch will transfers / loans into your club made in the January ' 24 transfer window actually happen in game on their real life transfer dates in the FM Jan transfer window. Not sure if SI have a statement on this but a good question for them to answer

Edited by MrPompey

SI, why cannot you bring the player history talks? I’ve forgotten what I’ve said or last spoke to players and in previous versions, before fm22 I think, the option was there. Also could you give players an option to save the previous season stats. Even if it’s a file that would have to load whenever you select the player. It’s frustarating that you cannot see last seasons stats without saving the game before the stats reset. These things are beneficial to the player. A lot more than graphics and face paint.

People getting annoyed because the goals per game is slightly higher in FM than IRL then proceed to moan that players are unhappy about something you've said/done in game is a bit of a contradiction?

Surely you want it fully realistic or you don't :D 

3 minutes ago, greenz81 said:

SI, why cannot you bring the player history talks? I’ve forgotten what I’ve said or last spoke to players and in previous versions, before fm22 I think, the option was there

Completly agree, don't understand why that was removed - it really helped you, especially if you can't play the game for a week or so and have to then pick it up.

vor 5 Stunden schrieb TokyoWanderer:

And what is "reality"?  2.4 goals/game like in the championship last season? or 3.0 like the prem this season? or 2.0 like the Spanish second division last season? Perhaps it's 3.6 like Bundesliga this season?

I'm from Argentina. Maybe we should do it like our third division, with 1.9 goals per game!

Characteristics of a league are dependent upon the players and managers playing in it. This results in higher goals in top leagues.

Statistical outliers will always happen. Reality is observing statistics not from a single season and not from a single division.

8 hours ago, kiwityke1983 said:

You can compare it over one season, or compare it over 3 like I have to get the average.

False. I want realistic play where you can get 1-0's and 0-0's. At the moment it's impossible to tell if a result is justified, lucky, due to tactics, personnel or just because goalkeepers and strikers are useless/deadly.

You've yourself said lower leagues are awful. Every league is over the GPG on each sim bar the Bundesliga. So your claim about play being stale is false, I just don't want immersion breaking bugs.

ALSO - you state 2 goals per game is too low. Correct, as average for GPG across all teams it is. But look at the screenshot. It's from one single team who averaged 1.95GPG because I set them up that way. Guess what? 6 teams in the division last season had under 2GPG.

The average across the division on that FM23 save was 2.62. Perfect.

Edited by Domoboy23

Something has changed, if it's not the ME it's something feeding the ME. I remembered I had a save before last game of the season (in case needed to raise a bug report on something for team in 2nd) so decided to just replay the game and take a look. I got the exact same result, but look at the stats:

Before:

Screenshot2023-11-10at09_17_37.thumb.png.3bab3d8f7638ef692e1494fa89e016f4.png

After:

Screenshot2023-11-10at09_17_17.thumb.png.1f47eaf363466a501ef53c3dd8b1eabb.png

But what is more evident for me is the passing maps.

Before:

Screenshot2023-11-10at08_59_52.thumb.png.3b766c409f4294ab85b91ab800bef58d.png

After:

Screenshot2023-11-10at09_16_32.thumb.png.406396f93175d4f4bb86850b0346ae41.png

My AMC is number 8 on both. He's deeper than the BWM(D) on the passing map on the new one. Look how much higher the defence is well in the 2nd one

Average positioning before:

Screenshot2023-11-10at09_43_16.png.d3fe061ad5f51f300e547d97cf6587a6.png

After:

Screenshot2023-11-10at09_43_41.png.c5b28c627d6680efd1e20f915e190232.png

Does seem minor, but it's having an impact on the flow of games. 59% possession before, just 2 shots against me. 68% possession after, 9 shots against. Don't get me wrong it could easily be put down to a small sample size, but what I am seeing and the data from other games, looks different to what I am seeing now and the new data (that the game provides).