Hardest league to win

Thinking of starting a new save with a underdog or a fallen giant and want a challenge in a fairly big league.just wondered which league would be hardest to win ?bundesliga ,Scottish Premier league or even ligue 1 or any other ideas.thinking maybe Aberdeen or kaiserslautern and bordeaux .anyone had a hard time winning one of these leagues 

Edited by Weasek

IMO the Brazilian Serie A. It's one I've always struggled to win. Won the Copa Libertadores more times than I've won the Serie A even. Just a super competitive league, with most teams producing top tier newgens, the best talent in the league often being poached by Europe and a really hectic schedule with barely any breaks.

Bundesliga isn't that hard. I can usually topple Bayern pretty quick. In my FM23 save even AI Leipzig beat Bayern to the 22/23 title. Ligue 1 is a bit harder, but given a few years and a chance to develop some young talent it's not too difficult to topple PSG either. Definitely harder than the Bundesliga, but not excessively so. I've mostly played as either Celtic/Rangers in the SPL which doesn't really count.

Edited by rusty217

Overcoming the 1 or 2 big teams in a medium sized league league is always a compelling save. Leagues where there's not a silly amount of money but with a well built squad you can still win the Champions League.

Scotland is obviously a pretty good one with anyone but Celtic or Gers. Austria with anyone but Red Bull Saltsburg. Czech Republic with anyone not the 2 big Prague teams. Overthrowing the big 3 (or 4 if you include Braga) in Portugal. 

Once you've gotten some practice in those leagues go and take on Wales with anyone but The New Saints. Now that can be a grind of a challenge..

Germany gets crazy tv money.

France only has one big giant to overcome. If they have a bad season, you can easily bypass them.

The hardest would be a league where various clubs have a big lead on the rest, and the overall level is poor. You could make a case for portugal with their big 3, but their B teams are so full of talent that loans get you easily qualified for europe.

Probably scotland. Not the highest level of facilities, no crazy tv money like the prem yet registration rules apply. No amazing youth rating either

If you want a great challenge start as no reputation manager with a low reputation club in financial trouble in whatever league you want that does get low tv revenues.

Regarding TV money...honestly the TV Money a german club gets is dwarfed by the Premer League income.

The PL gets roughly ~2,5 times the money and Spain roughly 1,5 times the money the Bundesliga earns from TV rights and this money will probably go down as the right holders work on a large deficit.

Research: EPL TV revenue beats Bundesliga, La Liga combined | Advanced Television (advanced-television.com)

PS: TV rights abroad estimate 200 million for the Bundesliga while it is around 2+ billion for the Premier League if i am right.

2 hours ago, Etebaer said:

If you want a great challenge start as no reputation manager with a low reputation club in financial trouble in whatever league you want that does get low tv revenues.

Regarding TV money...honestly the TV Money a german club gets is dwarfed by the Premer League income.

The PL gets roughly ~2,5 times the money and Spain roughly 1,5 times the money the Bundesliga earns from TV rights and this money will probably go down as the right holders work on a large deficit.

Research: EPL TV revenue beats Bundesliga, La Liga combined | Advanced Television (advanced-television.com)

PS: TV rights abroad estimate 200 million for the Bundesliga while it is around 2+ billion for the Premier League if i am right.

Sure, but it's relatively fairly shared (down to the 2. Bundesliga if you're newly promoted) and more than everywhere else so buying your way to a team full of solid players that can challenge for the title isn't that difficult.

Premier League has way more money, but the players suck that up with higher wage expectations, and with more big sides to compete with and stronger mid table sides you tend to need very expensive world class players to compete

Edited by enigmatic

No league is hard with any team. It should always take 3-5 season to dominate. Even the EPL with a team from the non football tiers that gets promoted every year. The AI just cannot keep up with human in finances. It isnt even close. SO you will always be able to out finance them.

3-5 season in prem you can be buying and selling over 500 million each every season or more if you put more effort into it. yes epl has like 5+ world class teams but if you play the finance game you always win.

thats why i look for build a nation or england 10th tier cause typically after 5-7 seasons in epl you win the champions league every year and the save is over. the fun part is the climb

2 minutes ago, JimmysTheBestCop said:

3-5 season in prem you can be buying and selling over 500 million each every season or more if you put more effort into it. yes epl has like 5+ world class teams but if you play the finance game you always win.

After playing the finance game you have to actually dominate with tactics though, because no matter how rich you are, the league itself provides enough money for 5+ teams to fill their squads with players that are as good as anything you can buy.

CF smaller European leagues where one overseas sale of a wonderkid gives you access to players that are a class above the players anyone else will buy (even if they do make some money)

Bundesliga kind of sits in the middle where when you're good at making money, only Bayern can match you for buying elite players, but in the first couple of seasons the TV money buys you lots of Colombian and Serbian wonderkids (and you can probably start them whilst they're still developing) 

As has been mentioned by others, the human player has an incredible advantage compared to the AI. However, a league that is difficult is Chile and perhaps Belgium. 

Both don't receive much money naturally, get their players poached from all over and specially for Chile, there are several rules  you need to look at. 

Moreover, the season is weird and the competition, if one starts from the B division, is ludicrous.  

20 hours ago, enigmatic said:

After playing the finance game you have to actually dominate with tactics though, because no matter how rich you are, the league itself provides enough money for 5+ teams to fill their squads with players that are as good as anything you can buy.

CF smaller European leagues where one overseas sale of a wonderkid gives you access to players that are a class above the players anyone else will buy (even if they do make some money)

Bundesliga kind of sits in the middle where when you're good at making money, only Bayern can match you for buying elite players, but in the first couple of seasons the TV money buys you lots of Colombian and Serbian wonderkids (and you can probably start them whilst they're still developing) 

Tactics are kinda overrated in a way. Or perhaps over thought is a better explanation. Several of the standard built in tactics the game comes with will flat out dominate. Players often over think the tactics causing them to try crazy things and constantly changing it causing them huge problems or the other half just downloads engine breaking tactics. 

Even in Hungary after 10-15 seasons you are an unstoppable champions league winning team. I dont consider 10-15 seasons long anymore. My long term saves are like 30+ years.

Ive done many English Tier 10 to EPL saves. They are longer cause you have to go up 10 tiers but it only takes like 9-12 seasons to get to EPL and then about 5 seasons to dominate the world. It get its length just from starting so low.

FM is  not difficult in the classic definition of video games but certain scenarios are challenging just because it takes real life dedication and commitment. 

21 hours ago, Weasek said:

Thank you everyone for input. Interesting to read.wish the game was harder to be honest .i think I will go with Aberdeen

Dundee United would also be a decent shout.  They start in the Championship and have some good youth. 

Overall goal would be the same as Aberdeen (ie. returning them to their 1980s glory days, United's only league title win and Europa League runners up in '87) but a tougher challenge after you get what would be a pretty fun first season out of the way.  

If you don’t pick PSG
Winning Ligue 1 is always tough

Especially this year as they are only 18 clubs in the league 

PSG won’t drop a lot of points, and transfer window after transfer window they keep splashing the cash and no others teams in France has such a powerful money force

La Liga is also tough for small clubs as you don’t have a lot of incomes 

On 03/11/2023 at 23:55, madeirabhoy said:

Definitely Aberdeen, a chance to emulate Fergie. 

I did go Aberdeen in the end.would recommended watching Aberdeen 83 chance of a lifetime on bbc iplayer to get you in the mood to topple the old firm !Great watching fergie in his younger years

Scotland depends on who Celtic hire, it seems.

Rangers generally have 1 good season in the first couple and then completely collapse, while Celtic either become an uncatchable behemoth due to the financial advantages, or hire a clown and can be easily caught.

Id be surprised if most people who manage an Aberdeen/Hearts/Hibs side dont win the league in the first 5 seasons though. 

Like others have said the Prem with Luton or any other modest side to be promoted for that matter.

Pretty much any league with teams who are tipped to go down is always a challenge, also depends how many seasons you set yourself for the challenge. If you are looking at the first couple of seasons, it's a big ask but if you're looking for a long term save it's achievable with any team really.

Obviously I'm biased because I'm from Brazil, but the Brazilian Série A is really tough. There are 12 big clubs (Atlético Mineiro, Botafogo, Corinthians, Cruzeiro, Flamengo, Fluminense, Grêmio, Internacional, Palmeiras, Santos, São Paulo and Vasco da Gama) in a 20-club league.

And other clubs are strong as well, this year you have Athletico Paranaense (2022 Libertadores finalists); Bahia, now owned by the City group, Red Bull Bragantino, Fortaleza and Cuiabá. This year I'd say only Goiás, Coritiba and América Mineiro aren't that good (guess what, they are the bottom 3 in the league IRL).

You have a lot of regional rivalries, overall the league level is very balanced. If a team in the relegation zone gets a win against the leaders, It'll be surprising but it's not the end of the world. Calendar is mad, but in the state league it's nice to play a team full of subs/youngsters, even more if you're in a continental competition. 

On 04/11/2023 at 17:28, wearesporting said:

Portugal. One of the big 3 and a bit teams always has that season to deny you.

Easiest league ever? You amass talent immediately way better than the AI and it's all over. I lifted it about 25 times last year, starting from year 2.

What is the name of the challenge where you simulate a year, look for nearly promoted club in the lowest division of the country, and take them over.  Then mix that with the youth challenge (no signing of any players, just using players that come up through the youth system)! good luck there! ;) 

Edited by Andros

No league is hard overall unless you are giving yourself 1 season to do it. There needs to be other variables. Again nothing is difficult in FM some things are just severely challenging because of the amount of real world time and effort it takes.

some challenges require everything to be micro managed while if you just pick a random Prem team and even if you delegate all of your work you could win the prem after 3 seasons if you are just making the tactic.

Sad to see how we cant play in the league we want because the game is too easy... And we look for the "tough" and "hardest" leagues :/ I don't want to die before seeing this game's AI getting better and compete with us.