Quarter-finals  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Match 1

• Yuko
    • Hazzaj
  2. 2. Match 2

• Marius_R
    • Sano

Match 1

Yuko                                                                           Hazzaj

1851612.jpg.e324739daeb1f825eb85cb0be06b1851638_Preston_North_End.jpg.b1faea21efd45b71a83988a6e3cdde56.jpg

Match 2

Marius_R                                                                           Sano

1851560_FC_Internazionale.jpg.48dd80f21f1851694_Ajax_Cape_Town.jpg.ca222e32d41f9

Quarter-finals, matches 1 and 2.
Polls are active for ~24h, give or take.

Everyone is welcome to vote, not just players participating in the draft!
Would also be nice if you could write a sentence or two to explain why you voted the way you did.

Vote for each matchup, don't bottle it.

@Darius1998@Barry Cartman@Jorg@bestbrother@Baptista_8@Hazzaj@grff@Marius_R@PaulHartman71@Kawee@The Golden boy@Butts@Haguey@Citizen Kane@Yuko @sjg11@adhikapp@managerdude_66@SRL88@Sano@trueblue.85@SouthCoastRed@MaxeyN17@Harryseaess@Scott1892@Crispypaul@XuluBak

Edited by GunmaN1905

• GunmaN1905 changed the title to EURO 2020(1?) Football forum average draft - quarter-finals - matches 1 and 2
1 hour ago, Sano said:

I'm afraid the image for hazzaj isn't working.

shows up fine my end, weird

Also bit surprised to end up here, but hoping now my upgrades can give me a fighting chance against a quality looking side from Yuko.
Modrić gives me a more natural centre midfield option in there and beefs up the creativity, and one advantage I think I still retain over him is the ability to press - Villa having been part of a Barcelona team that pioneered the approach of looking for quick turnovers immediately after loving the ball, and the tactical nous of Cruyff should be ideal for leading the press, where Yuko's front three are perhaps less suited.

Would also have thought Beckenbauer would be more suited to a midfield role than Katanec in the modern game.

That said, would be no shame in me losing here either, and if Yuko prevails I'll be backing him to go all the way.

P.S. @Yuko voted for you so I could also vote in the other matchup, would be grand if you could return it la

Edited by Hazzaj

28 minutes ago, Hazzaj said:

shows up fine my end, weird

Yeah, I think Gunman already amended the broken link. Works for me now.

Voted for Yuko because the core of that team is imperious: Maldini, Beckenbauer, Rijkaard, Stoichkov. Would have liked hazzaj team better if it had Poborsky right wing, Zola as a trequartista and Effenberg - Modric as part of a double pivot. I think Yuko has less obvious weak spots than hazzaj (Vermaelen as an attacking full back of Fabianski in goal for example).

@Marius_R voted for you so I could vote in the other tie.

Edited by Sano

24 minutes ago, Sano said:

Yeah, I think Gunman already amended the broken link. Works for me now.

...Would have liked hazzaj team better if it had Poborsky right wing, Zola as a trequartista and Effenberg - Modric as part of a double pivot...

could have done that, I guess I just prefer the innate flexibility of the 4-3-3 - situationally I'd see opportunities for Poborský to get wide and Zola to tuck in, it is a Cruyff team after all, so positional play should be the order of the day :D

2 minutes ago, Yuko said:

Can't a mod see who voted what and give us the list once it's done?

Considering that it looks like both matchups won't be that close, there's no need to panic. :D

Might aswell give my opinion right away.

First matchup is close, but Yuko doesn't really have any really weak links.

Katanec is unknown to most people, but he was a class player.
Even if we put him as the weak link, Fabianski is way worse and Vermaelen as LB isn't far off. I don't rate Kyle Walker, either, but English people will get mad.

Second matchup isn't even up for discussion. :D

11 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

...Even if we put him as the weak link, Fabianski is way worse and Vermaelen as LB isn't far off. I don't rate Kyle Walker, either, but English people will get mad...

I feel like Walker's one of those players that can be both overhated and overrated, depending on who you ask. I think he's grown a lot though under Guardiola's tutelage and is pretty much emblematic of the tactically versatile modern fullback; i.e. reasonably quick, can distribute the ball smartly, put in a good cross, get up and down the pitch and tuck inside when needed, even though he might not be outstanding in any one of those things.

</English person getting mad>

It's the back five that let Marius down a little, imo. No bad players but no greats either.

The first I gave Yuko because his team has quality everywhere and is better balanced, and I don't like the full backs for different reasons on Hazzaj's team either.

Congrats @Yuko. I have to agree you had the better team. Was quite surprised by the early lead last night, but being beaten by you doesn't come as a surprise. Like Gunman said in the other thread, I think I was really unlucky because I had next to no possibilities to make some switches to upgrade my team. I knew the Lewandowski and formation switch could go both ways, but it was practically the only switch I could make the entire tournament :lol: Decided to go for star power over balance. Either way, you would have beaten me! Curious to see who you'll steal from my team!

Thanks @GunmaN1905 for organising. The rigid rules made for a really fun and challenging draft!

Edit: don't know why I posted in this thread :ackter:

Edited by Sano