How fast do you play and why?

I'm quite far into my 5th season with Kettering now, so I guess I play rather fast. However, that is a youth-only game, so no need to use any time on scouting or transfers inn, so that saves a lot of time.

I do like to go a bit fast at any rate. What I usually do is spend a lot of time at the start of a save and find a tactic that works somewhat how I want it and will at least win the expected number of games. Then I start to play faster and rush through games, not tweaking much. The I only slow down if the team is underachieving or in a real slump of poor results.

Since I like to develop players and quite often go down the youth-route, I enjoy spending more time analyzing my players and their development than the actual results in matches. Though, as a semi-pro team at the moment, training doesn't have as much impact on development as if it was full time, so this haven't been done that much yet. I've noticed that taking the time to develop players quite often give me better results than expected anyway, I don't mind neglecting tactics in games like this.

This is of course if I don't experiment with tactics or some other things in the game, then I take my time and monitor games closely to see how each situation works and try to link it to my tactical choices.

30 minutes ago, Hovis Dexter said:

I like my manager to everything and I’m only up to December in my first season. I read on another thread that somebody is already in his seventh or eighth season. It got me thinking how fast does everybody play, and why?

I'm like my mum; I like to take it real sloooooooow.

30 minutes ago, Hovis Dexter said:

I like my manager to everything and I’m only up to December in my first season. I read on another thread that somebody is already in his seventh or eighth season. It got me thinking how fast does everybody play, and why?

I also spend ages on defence so I'm not wide open at the back. Unlike my mum.

10 minutes ago, dannysheard said:

I'm like my mum; I like to take it real sloooooooow.

9 minutes ago, dannysheard said:

I also spend ages on defence so I'm not wide open at the back. Unlike my mum.

:eek:

• 1 month later...

@prot651 That's what happens when you manage Cardiff i'm afraid

In terms of game play speed I usually have one main save that lasts around 12 seasons so a month for a season.  Like others have said though family life does tend to get in the way these days

Hm...

Well, my last game on FM18 I started in August 2018.

Today I'm in December of the second season, so its taken me four months of on and off playing to get through one and a bit seasons.

For me, the start up is the longest part. Setting up the staff, which is usually horrifically lopsided, setting up training, scouting, everything. I don't delegate as I absolutely don't trust the AI to do bugger all correctly. Only once all that is sorted, which can take a week or two if I'm not in the mood, then we start the season. Usually a lot of my games are dead on arrival after that much setting up, but when they kick on, I go through a few games at a time.

As for that game file, I've not genuinely played it for a while. Boredom for most the part, I won more or less everything and was just going through the motions, so I benched the game for long periods. It's still installed and available for when the mood kicks in though. 

I'm unbelievably slow. It was an achievement that a while ago in FM17 I got to like, 2021 and that's the furthest I've ever got. I think I take a couple of weeks or months at least to get through a season? Just because I take an age doing literally everything.

This FM is the fastest I've ever played.

One of my biggest problems with FM was that I'd lose motivation after three or four seasons of any save, usually after I'd hit a season where I was fighting against relegation and losing the majority of my games. Slowly progressing without the joy of winning would make me lose interest. So for this FM I'm focused on moving forward constantly to keep me interested, especially when I hit bad runs of form as I need to get out of them quickly! I'm focused less on tweaking my tactic game after game, instead putting my effort into finding better players who fit the system and are exclusively improvements on whoever they are replacing. 

Watching/listening to FMScout's twitch stream has taught me a ridiculous amount about the game, especially about finance and player signings, and it seems to be working!

Ah when I saw the thread title I thought you meant match speed... The bloke next to me on the train had comprehensive highlights at full speed... Was giving me a headache. Looked like he was playing nice football as Arsenal tho so I was looking over his shoulder to see his tactic... Then realised he was Leeds getting humped by Arsenal :D

I tend to play exponentially faster the more seasons I play. I spend most of my time on the tactics and squad building aspects... I don't do training or press conferences. 

I play matches in extended (unless I really want to observe a new tactic or tactic tweak) and on slightly faster highlights. 

I used to be a purist and play very slow, but now I don't really have that luxury (time). 

When I get used to this new version completely...i can probably do a season in 15-20 hours....couple of hours to get through pre season, then 3-5 games per hour... Jan usually takes a bit longer too.

Slow to start as I learn the team, the game quirks and whatnot.

Gets faster as I have a better idea of things. I mostly just run on key highlights, but if the rails come off and I start struggling I'll start watching the full match to see where problem areas may be. Once my team is established though this is less and less frequent.

It depends on what you enjoy. I like to bring through academy players so I want to see how they turn out and what they win in their Career. If I manage everything and only play 1 or 2 seasons I will never know.

Very slow. First choosing my team, second reviewing players, scheduling friendlies, setting up tactics, training, staff job adverts/player scouting.. even before I hit the first continue button.

Seem to spend most of my time during the pre-season window. I guess watching league games on Extended and cups on Full Match slows me down too.

Ironically if I start to fly through matches, changing to Key highlights or holidaying.. it is due to me getting bored of the save or ready for the next version of FM.

21 hours ago, ParanoidBuddha said:

Slow because I check many things in the meanwhile. I spend hours just checking very well others top teams/competitions, checking the national teams, the ranking etc etc

Why do you check that? To find players? 

I'm pretty screwed up as I fall in and out of love with formations.  I wanted to play with a HB  so I did a 4-3-3 wide.  I got to FEB in my first season.  I found a kid in JAN that would make a great TQ so I started a new season with my team so I could sign the TQ.  I do that kind of thing a lot.  I think in 2012 I played 6 seasons.  Since then I usually only play one, get bored with the formation and players and start something and different. 

I started my save on the Beta release night, am currently half way through my 2nd season.  Just don't have the time to play quicker.  Am about to sit down and play for a while, and is the first time in about 2 weeks I've had the chance.

Generally start pretty slow until I know my best team, then speed up when I've got a routine of which subs to make and what adjustments to make in different match scenarios.  I normally get through a season every couple of weeks. 

With FM19, just starting season 3.

When I had more time to play season 3 would slow down again as I added a second manager playing at a different level and in a different country.  Used to have one manager at West Ham and one journeyman. Nowadays, it's normally West Ham until the database update and then I start a journeyman save,

Archived