Football Manager 2009 - Who are you going to be? What are your plans?

I think I'll take the challenge of bringing Tottenham Hotspur in the right direction and turning them into a more solid club able to challenge directly the top four. Or I could take over Manchester City and handle the millions.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Will certainly start off with a top team, in order to concentrate a bit more on the new features and tactics. Either in a league where the top team dominates anyways or with ManU. Then once I got it all figured out and the patches are coming in I will seek proper challenges and probably despair again by taking over Sturm Graz and the only national reputation despite winning the CL :p

In the demo I'll probably play Villa (my team) and spurs, maybe another club. During the full game I'll again be Villa, but also have a long game as Arsenal (had a fantastic 08 game with them) and I'll be trying to get Mansfield back into League 2. Probably play a few 1-2 season long games to try stuff out in.

Celtic, Celtic, Celtic.

Aim is to win the champs league with them. Wasn't able to do it in 5 years in current game (Arsenal are rats) when i left for pastures new. Make them the best in the world, then move on. Scotland, Italy, Spain, France and England shall be my leagues...

I will start as Aston Villa in the demo. (My supported team) I have a long running challenge with my brother where we are two top 4 teams and have a 3 year challenge. You get points for winning the League, cups and European competitions. Start as Villa in the demo watch the top 4; see who they buy and how the squads perform.

I will then start as Arsenal (Which was drawn out of a hat - my bro got Chelsea) in the full version of the game!

good luck to everyone - hope you all enjoy the demo - only 1 day to go!

Liverpool in the demo.

Full games will be with...

1. Barrow, BSP - a mate of mine plays for them, aim to get to L1 then who knows.

2. Carlisle United, L1 - my team. Hope to get to the Premier League.

3. Liverpool, to see how quickly a takeover happens and whether the new owners will want another manager.

you from carlisle? i live in stanwix (but at uni in manchester!)

iam, going to watch the blues at stockport tommorow

on topic- i usually manage newcastle because there my first team and im a season ticket holder (thought id just drop that in there)

i like to explore the game with them, in prep for the full game where i start with a league 1 team, and build a career

When the full game arrives my plan is:

1- i'll start a game with Benfica alone to see the new features, try the 3D and all that, maybe for a season or two.

2- Start a network game at my office with my two mates, me Benfica, they Sporting and Porto (we did it in FM 2008 until 2018), 8 hours a day.

3- At the same time, start my favourite challenge! Forest Green in the Conference that's my favourite english small team, don't really know why eheh. Go all the way up to the Premier LEague and win the Champions league :)

In the demo I could be anyone, maybe Liverpool (I support them) or if the leagues are playable on the strawberry version, a French team or maybe Benfica. In the full game I will probably be Hoffenheim or Ajax, I haven't really decided.

Sheff Wed are always a good challenge, every year my first game is with them, then I usually try a prem team, this time round it was Liverpool, might try Hull in 09, and then I'll either start unemployed or in the conference north/south

Well my plans have changed quite a bit over the past couple of weeks having watched quite a few Arsenal games which I don't usually do. I've finally settled on the following;

GK - I need 3. Rene Adler and Markus Neuer my 2 priorities most likely for 1st choice.

RB - Sagna 1st choice, Need a 2nd choice. Lorenzo Di Silvestri? Build him up, sell Sagna and repeat the process with someone else.

LB - Clichy obviously 1st choice. A seriously world class left back, despite the Spurs mistake. 2nd choice LB is needed, really got no idea who to go after. Maybe if Phillip Lahm's available on the cheap, he's my 1st choice with Clichy getting more than enough games.

CB1 - Toure is 1st choice, through gritted teeth. 3 years ago was world class, one of the best CBs in the world. Now he's a rich man's Senderos. 2nd choice is needed, although Djourou may be suffice.

CB2 - I need a 1st and 2nd choice. I hate Gallas, not to mention he has no idea if he's a CB or AM. He probably ran 20 miles against Spurs going forward and sprinting back. And Silvestre is utter shiite.

RM - Nasri and Walcott will probably rotate. I don't think Walcott is that great as a striker. I love seeing him attack defences on the wing, although I'm sticking him in Intensive Shooting practice. He has a useless shot on him.

LM - I need a 1st choice, maybe a 2nd choice too. Based on FM08, Silva is definitely my 1st priority. Vela will get quite a few games too.

CM1 - Fabregas, need I say more. Denilson probably 2nd choice, although the Spurs game showed how bad he is at defending the defence. We'll see.

CM2 - I need a 1st choice, and based on FM08, Pirlo's the man to get. I'll probably buy a 30yo or so for sure, so Diaby (definitely the 2nd choice) and will probably take over in a couple of years.

FWD1 - Badly need one. Adebayor is useless and every single game he plays in proves that fact further. His uselessness astonishes me. Bendtner is way below the standard needed too, so I need a 2nd choice for this position too.

FWD2 - RVP. He was beyond dire against West Ham but was a different player against Spurs, although he still needs to find his confidence. Had many opportunities to shoot and didn't. Eduardo the definite 2nd choice.

Obviously Ramsey, Bischoff and Wilshere will get a fair share of games and next year Traore may get a few games at LB. Maybe Lansbury too.

So I'll be selling;

Almunia, Fabianski, Mannone

Eboue

Gallas, Song, Silvestre

Rosicky

Adebayor, Bendtner

So I'm not looking forward to it too much :o

I looked for a similar thread without success, i hope its ok to start this.

Anyway, im not just starting this thread for the sake of trying to get millions of replys for no reason! I really want to know because i always get so excited over the FM games and then as soon as i get it i dont know what to do, so i need some of your ideas so i get ideas, comprende?

On the previous FM i started as everton, got 4th then 15th then offered england job, won world cup and retired and never played it again.

This time round i want to be a club where success will not come immedeately but with hard work. So here's my plan...

I currently plan to start as Coventry City (although i may easily change my mind if i get any better ideas from this board later on), not the worst team in the world - not the best. They are somewhere towards the bottom on the Championship in real life so im hoping my expectations will be no higher than mid table for my first season, i plan to build a steady youth foundation onto my club which will hopefully grow as a team until eventually they are ready to make it bigtime. Im thinking after 9 years of game time i will be able to win the premiership, thats my goal.

Now you...?

you can't be that excited about fm if in the last one you played for a couple of seasons and never played again.

i can't wait for the demo to be released, as usual i will start with cska moscow...my plans are as follows;

tactical formation - 3,5,2.

gk - akinfeev will be 1st choice and will keep pomazan as 2nd choice until mandrykin arrives back from his loan.

dc - the 2 berezutkiy brothers and ignashevich will be my 1st choice defenders with grigorjiev, shennikov and semberas as backups.

dm - mamaev will be 1st choice alongside aldonin with kalouda and rahimic as backup's.

mr - krasic will operate on the right wing with odiah as back up.

ml - zhirkov will be 1st choice left winger with erkin as a backup.

am - dzagoev will be 1st choice until carvalho comes back from loan with ramon rotating.

st - vagner will be 1st choice partnered by janczyk until carvalho comes back ,then i will operate with 1 striker with dzagoev playing just behind.

i will also aim to renew the contracts of carvalho, vagner, krasic, ignashevich and aldonin...

may sell rahimic and odiah to cut down on the foreign players and try to bring in a few good russian youngsters...

I'll be starting with Benfica. I'll probably aim for 3 league winners in a row to solidify the team. Depending on how things go, like morale and depth, I'll try to win the UEFA Cup. Then after the 3 years, Champion's League will be my main goal.

I think i may be the lowest ranked team in the lowest possible divison of any country just to see how high i can take them

Who is this, out of interest?

As for me, I shall start at Shrewsbury, as I always do.

I'd love to do a full sort of 50 year career with them but not sure I will.

Really got into LLM recently with a late 08 game with Dorchester, so I shall probably do something similar.

Also, would really like to do a unemployed one, but how hard is that going to be!!!

I'll probbally start with All engkish sides--

Nottingham Forest(Change there current situation) bring them to the prem

then will start with Liverpool.

Probally will manage WIGAN at some point Once i find out all the inexpensive super kids to be bought

One of my all-time favourite games was with Millwall on 07, i got them to the premiership and avoided relegation, enjoying a few wins over the big 4. I really don't know who I'll be on 09, i hate the Spanish registration system, and i generally need to really like the teams name, kits and badge to enjoy my time there. For example i'd like to take Parma back to the big time, but i hate their kits. I also hate missing out on all the current good players doing a lower league manager. I will be looking at maybe Luton, N. Forest, AFC Wimbledon, Real Sociedad (had a great game with them on fm05) Millwall, Betis, Atletico Madrid, Portsmouth, Chelsea (my team - since 1992 :D), Cardiff, Espanyol, Le Havre, Zaragoza, Real Union, Troyes. One game i'm strongly considering is Spezia. They went bankrupt and were demoted from serie a to serie D. Nice badge, nice kit. Hopefully some good players!

Im going to take a different stance to you all. I going to try and destroy Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool and Man City. may have to do this on different games. Im a manutd support as u've probably guessed :)

I plan to use Bristol Rovers, and manage the first team and reserve team. I will move all my under 18's to my reserve team, the following year i will not participate in the under 18's league. This is what rovers are doing in real life.

I will also only sign players that rovers sign in real life. I will try and bring lots of youth players through the ranks. Because of my lank of transfer spending, i will look to upgrade youth facilities asap.

Well I've started 2 saves on the demo one of which i will carry forward, but, my main save as per usualy is Manchester United :)

I'm waiting till the game comes out until I start this so I'm bursting to get going. My plans are to just bulk up the squad a bit bring in a new right midfielder. I'll concentrate more on my training/staff this year as well.

Well, my plans you ask?

1. Travel to the store and pick up the game

2. Get home, install game

3. Double click FM09.exe

Oh, and first team to manage? Portsmouth. Though i will play as Man City in the demo, more money to test the new transfer stuff with

I Understand you not wanting to play as Queensland Roar, after their performance of last Saturday night, In saying that I will be starting as the mighty Melbourne Victory.... Take them to Asian Champions league glory! Cause we all know Adelaide's not!

well i always go liverpool to start off with but this year im going to try my luck at umemployed. never started as unemployed well i have but have never stuck with it. the lure of leeds sounds tempting though to take them back into the premiership and europe.

but i want it to be as realistic as possible this year so unemployed and see how it goes. my fav game was when i went oxford and got them into the championship but just struggled once i got there so i think unemployed and starting off at a very low club attract me big time. more so than winnining the prem and european cup.

Gonna start as Hoffenheim after a few data changes (as they are most likely rated too bad since they have exceeded early expectations) .

However i´ll stick closely to their "vision" and not just buy expensive players just because they have a "suggar daddy", but will restrict myself to buying young and overlooked players that can´break through at their current club or aren´t yet discovered. Maybe some set restricitions in terms of maximum amount to spend in a season or on 1 player, will see how hard the game will be. Since i didn´t play 07 and 08 i guess i´ll have enough of a challenge relearning the game anyway.

Will try to play attractive football as well, just like Rangnick does with his team in real life.

Hi all.

I'm going to start of as unemployed and hopefully get a job within the lower leagues maybe abroad if there are no jobs going within the English divisions. Hopefully I will get the big job eventually and manage my dream club which is Liverpool probably by then I will have Stevi G as my assistant manager and Carragher on the coaching staff :D

The three games i have planned at the moment.

1st: Start unemployed with no reputation in europe see where i end up, normal LLM game.

2nd: Win the world cup with Belarus or atleast better my euro 08 quaterfinals place from FM07

3rd: LLM in asia maybe starting in china? (seem like a good test never played in asia before)

I always try and go Everton but usually get frustrated by the stats/ability of some of the players! Yakubu is worth the same as Vaughan in the 09 Demo and Yakubu's stats are quite poor considering hes the Prems current playing all-time top scorer!

I will start with the club in my heart, Hammarby IF(Swedish Premiership(Allsvenskan)) and try to win atleast one gold before I leave the country ^^

Last year i was really successful at Hammarby(4 league gold, 2 cup gold in 4 years) before I left for Italian Serie A team Livorno, we played like **** and I left after one year because I was disappointed with my/our performance, I joined the newly promoted bundesliga team Duisburg and finished 10th(-ish), after that I bought a new comp and forgot to transfer my FM saves from the old one :(

maybe more than y'all wanted to know :p

There's only one glorious answer.

1) play as Cardiff

2)go to good player a team guide

3)buy all the players reccomended as possible)

4)Go to the tactics forum

5)get a good tactic

6) Beat Swansea 6-0 and everyone's happy :D

Honestly I won't go on the forums I'll do some exploring of my own I think.

I'll start with my team. Man Utd. As you can tell from my screen-name Possebon will be starting a few, along with Anderson. My plans are to bring in the new like Dzagoev, Hamsik, Sercan, etc. And take out the old, Giggs, Scholes and the liability Neville. Hope to get rid of crippled Hargreaves straight away as well.

Archived