Manchester United Thread 2015/16

Harryseaess

• Replies 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
LvG getting a pass on Pedro error I see. Ed to blame this time :D

weird since van gaal himself said he didn't want him in the end and that the money wasn't an issue because they knew the clause all along. the fans are already booing his style of play so he better sign someone with a bit of pace and directness otherwise it'll only get worse. not replacing rooney will probably cost him his job anyway.

I'm not sure if Pedro turned us down or not. I'm pretty sure that if we really wanted him we could have paid the release clause and got him in july. When Chelsea came knocking then it is a no brainer for the player since the choice to play for either LVG or Mourinho. There really is no comparison.

the defence is fine and that is a good thing, solid foundations and all that. the problem is we don't need two midfielders who do the same thing in every single game (carrick & schneiderlin) at the expense of someone like herrera who takes chances and makes things happen. i guess schneiderlin & schweinsteiger is an improvement on that, if that's what we're moving towards as it seems, but we still need to be taking more risks from midfield. mata coming inside is fine and i don't have a problem with him, since darmian gets up and down on the outside, but the guy playing in the 10 role needs to be quicker than januzaj in general and, again, take more risks when playing the ball. if we're not going to play herrera i think we should put memphis back there and play young/januzaj/pereira/new winger on the left. or even play schneiderlin-herrera-schweinsteiger, though van gaal seems reluctant to play 4-3-3 or herrera for some reason.

on top of all this we need everything i've already mentioned from our main striker as well, otherwise we'll just carry on looking too flat and rigid in attack, unable to score anywhere near enough goals to win anything. but the only likely thing i can think of van gaal doing, if anything at all, at an absolute push, is play rooney off hernandez/new striker with memphis on the left.

Can foresee us wasting 30m upward on Kane in a reactionary purchase similar to Wenger's spend spend after the 8-2.

Unfortuantely, Benzema aside, there seems to be a dearth of top strikers compared to 10-15 years ago. Would rather punt on Wilson all season as opposed to bidding on a one season wonder who would likely cost £40m+.

We will likely loan Januzaj, Jesse and Pereira too :(

I'd imagine Lingard will be sold.

the defence is fine and that is a good thing, solid foundations and all that. the problem is we don't need two midfielders who do the same thing in every single game (carrick & schneiderlin) at the expense of someone like herrera who takes chances and makes things happen. i guess schneiderlin & schweinsteiger is an improvement on that, if that's what we're moving towards as it seems, but we still need to be taking more risks from midfield. mata coming inside is fine and i don't have a problem with him, since darmian gets up and down on the outside, but the guy playing in the 10 role needs to be quicker than januzaj in general and, again, take more risks when playing the ball. if we're not going to play herrera i think we should put memphis back there and play young/januzaj/pereira/new winger on the left. or even play schneiderlin-herrera-schweinsteiger, though van gaal seems reluctant to play 4-3-3 or herrera for some reason.

Therein lies the problem :D

I'm fine with Mata coming inside in terms of Mata in isolation; the problem is that when there's not enough going on around him everything is too predictable. He's always going to cut in and he's always going to operate in front of the defence. Good as Darmian has been thus far he's not enough of a danger to cause sufficient concern for the defence. As such a lot of our better work has come down the left and it's a bit predictable. If we had Mata in the middle he'd have more passing angles available, and with Januzaj or whoever on the right we'd have two wingers who can go either way and have sufficient pace to ask questions of the defence. Playing Memphis in the middle seems to starve him of the space he needs to operate effectively.

Was it even a whole season? Got found out towards the end...

Difficult to say which is the concern with him. Nobody is fantastic for 100% of the season of course, even Messi during his 73 goal season had the odd dry spell so it could have just been a natural dip in forum everyone has. But if he has been worked out or the form was just a freak then we'd be in big trouble. I'd rather take a punt on Zlatan (I freely admit half of that would be purely for hilarity purposes) and wait a year to see about Kane. £60m on a guaranteed 20 goal a season striker is better than £40m on one that could potentially be a bit crap.

I'm fine with Mata coming inside in terms of Mata in isolation; the problem is that when there's not enough going on around him everything is too predictable. He's always going to cut in and he's always going to operate in front of the defence. Good as Darmian has been thus far he's not enough of a danger to cause sufficient concern for the defence. As such a lot of our better work has come down the left and it's a bit predictable. If we had Mata in the middle he'd have more passing angles available, and with Januzaj or whoever on the right we'd have two wingers who can go either way and have sufficient pace to ask questions of the defence. Playing Memphis in the middle seems to starve him of the space he needs to operate effectively.

oh yeah mata in the middle would be even better, there's no real benefit to playing him wider instead. it seems the obvious answer in fact. he'd probably start playing out of his skin as i'm sure david silva will keep doing now he's been moved inside. but as you say it's ultimately a lack of movement and speed around him, he can't do everything on his own because he lacks the pace to drive through people like memphis for example can from, well, anywhere.

United turning down Mourinho for Moyes/LVG in football terms is like a single man turning down a Victoria Secret supermodel for a fat 20 stone whale in real life.
You've got 7 from 9 ffs, jesus you really are the anti-superman

They have been totally unconvincing though and I think you will see a lot of United's flaws when they play better teams.

Archived